/rpgmg/ - RPG Maker General #164

>OP is too big, but I'll make it fit (Edition)
Previous thread MV 1.3.1 update: s3-ap-northeast-1(dot)amazonaws.com/degica-prod.product-files/43387/RPGMV_W131_Upd.exe
MV Crack: www86(dot)zippyshare.com/v/45Pnv1CO/file.html
Trial Download: rpgmakerweb.com/download/free-trials/trial-rpg-maker-mv
Trial Mirror: mega.nz/#!HNRDmQKS!6YhUUEA3YpRYEaruDgfUmFD2kZcOB7pv3rSssUOM2bs

[MV] Base Resources, Cover Art DLC, Essentials DLC and Pre-order Plugins:
pastebin.com/QtQnqvf5
[MV] Season Pass DLC
mega.nz/#!Yo5AlLxZ!yzS3PMn144EGsj9LMnXeaaJ_ZxyTGgbIvFf3Y4Z0YRw
mega.nz/#!ZxhjiaBD!lGIZEztZ8fhyyl9NuEoQ_TDw0BGa0LB6wEaSxmY01lo
[VX/Ace] Humble Bundle DLC:
mega.co.nz/#F!eJQEWLiC!Y66_MZgvuwB2ZUn2m6GzSQ

/rpgmg/ Wikia
rpgmg-games.wikia.com/wiki//rpgmg/_Games_Wikia
Getting started
docs.google.com/document/d/14ignTofv_bDRVHPUk9_sEpLUjuFyxpuy2Cr9mXDwkb0/
Art Resources
pastebin.com/FgVGxTqW
Updated DLC Pastebin
pastebin.com/D1Nr8Zwd
Pixel Art Tutorials
pastebin.com/SuXCN3pf
Generators and other useful resources
donjon.bin.sh/fantasy/name/
pastebin.com/TyAHmtW4
[MV] Plugin Releases
mvplugins.com/
[VX/Ace] Master Script List
rmvxace.wikia.com/wiki/RPG_Maker_VX_Ace_Master_Script_List
Collection of old RPGM games
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bz0L3Pxrc8tqfnB1dFhTZHZwSV91cW1KMW9wcUM2WHhwSFFFMUVJX0pEYVExMndNLWtXbGs&usp=sharing
The /rpgmg/ podcast (Updated every other Wednesday):
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyrIVUR5VXKC9XxmtqJh0u0Wcdvu8VQ6A

/rpgmg/ Chain/Collaboration Game!
Currently working:
Bubbles !u696zUYxpM
Version 13B: mediafire.com/download/89tsrb5ka31g36h/rpgmgcollab_v13B.zip

Other urls found in this thread:

makegames.tumblr.com/post/1136623767/finishing-a-game
gamasutra.com/blogs/RosstinMurphy/20150224/237145/FINISH_YOUR_GAME.php
youtube.com/watch?v=OrpwZkeCeW0
store.steampowered.com/app/449050/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If the chain game is really wrapping up, we can leave the credit list out of the OP.

Second for 3DS localization NEVER EVER

Rather than have all these links for getting started, we need to gather helpful links for finishing.

Got any ideas?

>Rather than have all these links for getting started, we need to gather helpful links for finishing.
This isn't a bad idea.

Derek Yu (the guy who made Spelunky) wrote a good article about this: makegames.tumblr.com/post/1136623767/finishing-a-game
I also found this one, while searching for the former: gamasutra.com/blogs/RosstinMurphy/20150224/237145/FINISH_YOUR_GAME.php

Japan, that's why.

How does one do ranged combat in an rpg maker games say guns and such?

You don't? Unless you're using one of those action script systems, I guess. Firearms are a funny subject in JRPGs.

Those are actually pretty good! I remember ready the spelunky one awhile back and the second one points out quite a few similar things. I can only give advice though. Motivation is a huge part of all this. There are gonna be many days where you just don't feel like doing anything and that's dangerous because it can spiral out of control and you'll never finish anything you start. The way I get through this is to break things down as much as possible and each day do SOMETHING. Literally ANYTHING no matter how seeming insignificant, if you need that thing done anyways just DO IT. Make one monster and call it a day. Heck even make a single skill or one item and be done with it. While slow, at the end you WILL finish slowly but surely. This has definitely helped me because I can say I did SOMETHING that day and it makes me feel good. Eventually, you'll finish.

It depends. You can do it the way the database has it basically just a weapon that does damage, or you could have them reduce an item in your inventory for ammo with events and what not...or you can use some scripts that do all that for you.

I hate how badly RMMV deals with custom fonts. They always look different than they should. Pic related, I tested the same font with the same font size in RMMV and in RMVX Ace. While it looks perfect in Ace, in MV it's much bigger than it should be and vertically displaced. Is there anyway I can fix this or do I need luck to find another font that fits well in MV?

>op is too big , but ill make it fit.
I see what u did there.

The only way I can think of is to make the font size smaller since MV has bigger resolution by default. I don't own MV though and don't plan on getting it anyways so I don't know much else about that.

youtube.com/watch?v=OrpwZkeCeW0
putting stuff ingame update; overall liking how it looks in motion

i'm still not sure what to do about the foreground and how it'll obscures the play area. for now, i just implemented a simple function that changes the transparency when you cross a y-coordinate threshold

Not bad! Looks good so far. I would suggest making the bigger foreground plants a bit smaller as they kind of cover half the screen, but the way you have it is a decent solution.

Is there anyone here with Japanese knowledge to translate at least the menu options in RPG Maker DS/DS+?

Then we could have a little contest to see who can make the most interesting game in such a limited engine.

>Last Boss
>"This isn't even my final form!"

This place usually this dead?

yes. Sheer pigheaded stubbornness is the only reason this thread exists, the last thread 404'd with about 200 posts.

We all are just working very hard.

>Dat bulge

i used to hang around and bump more often while slacking off, but i felt more motivated to work nowadays.

Most of the time, yeah. If you're an optimist you can pretend it's because everyone is working intently.

I'd post progress, but today I can't decide between working on my game or tossing myself off the roof of my apartment complex.

Post your progress so we can give you the encouragement you need to toss yourself off the roof of your apartment complex.

There are lots of strategies for novel writers.
Usually a long the lines of:
>writing a terrible first draft hard and fast.
>Start with an ending.
>Do one thing at a time; don't be lured away by the potential of another story.

Huh, I've actually never seen these articles before, and I've spent more time reading about game design than actually doing it. They seem good, thanks.

I've been having trouble getting past the "actually start the damn game" step for a while now, but maybe one of these days.

Localization never, but I bet in a year or so they'll at least sell us the assets for PC At like $50-60. Not much to go on from the tiny ass screenshots but I like the character art.

The idea is really interesting but isn't this a little late?
I mean the NX is coming next year or so.

Handheld RPG Maker is the nichest of niches. I can't imagine the sales numbers are very good so I don't know what the motivation to keep doing them is.

Wii U would have actually been the perfect console for an RPG Maker now that I think about it. Mario Maker proved that, and they probably could have gotten guest characters from Fire Emblem and a bunch of other Nintendo series.

Whenever I make something it just doesn't seem real. Maybe because I'm the one who made it?

Sometimes I think drug-users are creative because they can get so fucked up they don't even know where their thoughts are coming from.

Or maybe it's just their way to plow through the work and get it done. Like alcoholic writers impair their judgement on purpose because they can't write melodramatic monologues while sober.

post your creations so we can judge you and this thread stays alive for another 30 minutes.

>something

I'm guessing you mean writing. It's the field I'm the least familiar with, but I'm thinking getting better at writing is similar to other forms of art: copying better people. It's how I've gotten proficient at drawing, musical composition and I suppose programming.

Steal lines from the same character archetypes as yours?

This.
Maybe we can help you.

I posted this in the last thread, maybe some more of you can help. Basically I'm using the FTB system and Hime's Enemy Talk script for a recreation of undertale that I'm doing. Problem is no matter how many actions I have, if I use the command for the talk script it uses up all the actions in one go regardless of how many I have to use. Is there any way around this, so far it seems to just be a limit of the script itself and if so then I can't really do much about that. And two, If I use the talk command and select a monster, I can't back out of it to make another choice instead without it taking one action from the player. Is there any way around this?

One user suggested the instant cast script but sadly I tired that a while ago and couldn't get it to fix either of these problems.

It's hard to look at your own work from a perspective even remotely resembling an outsider's, and it's easy to see problems that aren't really there. At some point you just have to get outside opinions and start learning what works and what you're not so good at, really.

I think you'd have to rewrite some things about the battle system yourself, unfortunately.

>drug users and alcoholics are creative
No. True creativity is not randomness or otherness. You could just get a computer algorithm that makes things far more random and alien than a human mind could achieve. True creativity is solving a Gordian knot. It is understanding a problem down to its roots and then finding a practical solution that is not necessarily bound by preconceptions.

Yeah that's what it's looking like unfortunately. I'll just have to put a warning/disclaimer for people to avoid these problems when playing. I'm like 80% with this demo though. This last stretch is tedious as hell.

>Just have to make a few enemies to complete this combat demo
>Had a skull splitting headache last night and still feeling a tinge of it now
>General lethargy

Guess I'll work on game art instead, or something...

holy shit I didn't know this general existed, nice.
now I can suffer along with you all!

Welcome to the party.
Here take this healthy dose of self pity.

Not him but thanks.

>tfw want to make a North, East, South, West world map but I don't want to drag the game
Should I have the whole game take place on one map and save the rest of the world for post game stuff? Like basically free roaming? Finding shit and secret bosses?

Depends on how involved those world maps are, how big they are, and whether your plot needs that amount of globetrotting.
If you can't be bothered to make several world maps, just shrink everything down a lot.

Depends. Is your story engaging enough that it can last through the time it would take to traverse those places? If not, always start small and work your way up afterwards. Otherwise you try something overly ambitious and never end up finishing anything.

hey guys, so is the "Base resources" in the OP just the stock sprites and tiles I have with the base program? or is this something else?

Well basically I had two ideas in mind.
First one being the whole story takes place on one section of the world map. Let's say North for example. Completing the game allows you to freely travel to the East, West and Southern parts of the world and discover new places, new enemies and such. Each section is going to be 200x200.

The next idea would've been to have it take place on all of them but like I said I don't really want to drag it out too much.

I think it's an expanded set of resources that come with the full version of the game, but don't show up in your resources list by default and aren't included in the trial download. It's been a while since I checked though.

Maybe you can spread the story between 2 regions with some hints that you can visit the other 2 at a later point?

That sounds like a good idea. I'll keep it in mind

Anons, somehow i feeling bad when using pirated DLC, what do you think user? should i stopped using the dlc?

Buy it when you have finished your game.

Just started to work on our items vendor. He comes along with his ice cream trailler (WIP) and a bouncing popsicle.

>Wanted to study
>University didn't accept me
>Again
It's really depressing and now I feel bad.
At least I'll have lots of time for deving now.

This looks adorable, user!
I like the dithering, a few of those sprites remind me of PC98 games.

>Thank you user, much apprecaited

Got off work at 1, didn't finish my school stuff until like 8.

Trying to do personal projects during the semester is the WORST

Thank you! I'm still learning the ways of dithering! It is a really difficult thing to do correctly without overdoing it.

Oh, so MV updated. Please tell me it's character generator let's you make children. Otherwise, are there any mods that let you?

Nope, no children. I think the forum has some edits and customs if you dig.

Heh. I opened up the generator to check, hit random and it gave me this.

>>Nope, no children. I think the forum has some edits and customs if you dig.
Damn it! So much for a loli or shota party member. What about VX Ace?

No

Just sprite your own lolis

Has science gone too far?

My art skills are in the negative. I may as well pay someone who knows what they're doing.

Now I want to make a meme game of nothing but random generated monstrosities.

I think it'd be neat to have an RPG where your party members have randomly generated looks, even if it's just out of a certain pool of stuff to take from for each member.

It'd be the most forceful diversity ever.

Are there any premade loli sprites? Can't pixel for shit.

How do I make turn based combat interesting in most games Ive played I find the turn based combat boring as all fuck.
Any one who has made it interesting and engaging?

>logging out of steam so your younger sister cant fuck up your game

just shared computer things

When my game's demo is ready, people will be able to tell me if my turn based system is good.

Plot idea:

A god comes to earth to steal the secret of clockwork from humanity.

I think I'm probably the only person in the world who like's RM's default ``pick moves for your whole team and then watch them execute'' battle style. Everyone else goes for individual turns based on character speeds.

My thinking here is that choosing everyone's moves in advance forces you to be much more tactical. You have to make assumptions about how the next 2-12 actions (up to 4 party members vs up to 8 monsters in the default system) will play out.

You can optimize damage distribution to enemies to avoid wasting the strong characters' attacks on overkill, often saving you a round of combat.

The only vaguely interesting thing I'm doing with my combat is that action speeds are very significant. Abilities that can only self-target always go first. Abilities that target a group always go last. I'm sure that at some point I'll want to come up with some exceptions.

Super Mario RPG/Paper Mario/Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga

Timed Hits can enhance a game quite a bit

I've had a blast with RPS turn-based combat engines. Note that those tend to only work in 1vs1 battles, though

Why would a god not just make something more powerful?

You can't please everyone. Still, at a fundamental level, I think you should strive to:

-Make it so spamming attack will never win a single battle.

-Try to make interesting and varied abilities.

-Make battles difficult enough to require unique answers.

I think as long as you have those three things, you'll at least end up with something good.

The game Im doing is about a single character setting out for revenge. A single well skilled character out to kick ass.
Said character is a sword and shield fighter with optional missile weapons (How to do ranged weapons at all) and Id like the idea of a RPS dynamic but not sure how to implement it without it ending up spamming random attacks.

>Why would a god not just make something more powerful?

Maybe the god can't figure out how to make something that just "works" and isn't "alive."

>Id like the idea of a RPS dynamic but not sure how to implement it without it ending up spamming random attacks.
See how to do it wrong, and do it better
store.steampowered.com/app/449050/

I'm almost afraid to finish this project and start a new one.

I just made a volume shift between two rooms, and yeah, it's super simple but it makes me feel good to learn something new. I'm afraid my second project won't feel as good.

This is where you are wrong.
It will feel better every time because you constantly learn new tricks or different ways.

Sounds like a pretty pussy god to me. (I like your concept, just trying to play devils advocate)

I don't have the best answers, but this is how I tried to solve the turn based problem:

One character's abilities and attacks depend on a combination of mash and timing attacks.

Another depends on combo inputs (sorta like Xenogears).

One character has to use items only to attack, no basic attack.

Finally, one character attacks by dancing and has to hit inputs to a beat like a DDR game.

Success and failure of these combat mechanics enhance or hinder the resulting effects of an ability. For example: all dances do damage, but if you hit every "ddr arrow" a status condition will be placed on the enemy.

>started on a horror game
>basically a corpse party clone but with a religious plot
>it'll have tons of endings depending on the players' choices
But I can't seem to find the best horror theme tiles and miscellaneous resources. Yeah, I've found a few, but I can't seem to find one that FEELS RIGHT to me

Plus I have no idea how I'm gonna make the literal atmosphere dark. I've seen some rpg maker horror games that have a spooky looking dark filter over the game.
Maybe a horror game is too hard?

I think that horror in the form of gore and jump scares is a little lame. Never played corpse party, but I think really good horror comes from a really really unsettling plot. There are a lot of good creepypastas out there, a well made game about camping and skinwalkers would fuck me up good.

It's pretty easy to make the darkness filter, especially if you go with more pixelated graphics. You basically just have a picture overlay on the screen with a little bit of transparency and a giant circle erased in the middle. Pic related.

I think a horror game is just fine, but you probably need to create the assets yourself for the best effect.
Making the screen darker is pretty easy, either tint the screen or place a darker, transparent picture as an overlay.

Help please? I'm using Ubuntu and RPG Maker MV surprisingly does NOT give me a white screen on level editor, but DOES give a blank screen on playtest.

I was ONLY able to find a solution to EDITOR white screen, not PLAYTEST white screen. Can anyone help?

I had a similar issue but I have W7.
You should have a error file log in your folder.
I had to reinstall the program like 2 times on different drives to get it working again.

Bubump

I hate dealing with the database once there's a lot of things in it, even if it's organised.

How do you cope with the pain?

>I hate dealing with the database once there's a lot of things in it, even if it's organised.
Clearly your database has too many things in it. Purge the undesirable things or put them in a "not often used" folder.

It actually has less than the default database does right now, I'm just horrible with this stupid interface VX Ace has.

Hey guys, I'm trying to set the name of an actor to be the name of another actor. How do I go about doing this?

It'd be pretty easy with a script call.
For VX: $game_actors[id].name = "Name" if $game_actors[id]
For MV: $gameActors.actor(actorId).setName(n)

Change ID to the one being changed and change Name/n to the new name. I'm not sure about MV but for VX you could probably just change "Name" to $game_actors[id].name, the id being that of the other actor so it'd look like this

$game_actors[1].name = $game_actors[2].name if $game_actors[1]

>I'm just horrible
The problem is your mind and your way of thinking about things.
You probably never had to keep things terribly organized in your entire life.
My suggestion is that you invest in some scotch-tape and index-cards if you don't already have them, and write down your ideas on those cards, and organize them into something cohesive on your wall.
I'm not saying this as a joke. I've done it myself and it's done wonders for my thought process. I have several walls in my apartment dedicated to different games and stories that I'm working on, and I've actually finished the first draft of my novel last week.

I'm not exactly sure if we're talking about the same database here. I've got stuff sorted into categories and with logical orders and it's still fucking me up.

>it's still fucking me up.
in what way are you getting fucked up?

My solution is simply a method of improving your mind to better deal with these things.

It works, thanks!!

This Squirrel walks into the bar and slaps your gf's ass, what do you do?

>I cant draw his tail to save my fucking life, help.

>heard you were talkin shit like I wouldn't find out
10/10 spooked me solid

>Download the crack

The link in the "Getting Started" doc for RPGMaker VX Ace is dead. Can anyone offer a new one? pomf.is would be the easiest file hosting solution.

[x]genuflect