/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Old thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0S22BFaos6A
youtube.com/watch?v=TnOsKz8p1GI
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=425
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=296
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1140
youtube.com/watch?v=LZ5ON4QUOXk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for no mods/tilesets allowed

Second for no mods/tilesets allowed still

>There was some heat-addlement this week, but I finished the dwarf jobs I needed to finish, allowed a museum zone to be designated from display furniture (which is more or less like a sculpture garden, but with the new thoughts for displayed items), and handled display furniture placement in adventurer-created sites. Cleaned up some errors with religions/temples in world gen that were impacting temple artifacts. Moving on to other building/map types next.

Repostan from the old one in case the other guy missed it

Well if you don't want to spend ten in game years making pump stacks and killing your FPS then a minecart with magma is, as far as I'm informed, the cheapest and simplest way to transport magma. In a year after carving all the tracks you can quite possibly have ten or more magma forges up and running.

Fifth for no objective failures to the human race allowed

I'm playing with both tilesets and mods and I'm having fun and you can't stop me.

I explicitly told you to do the opposite.

How hard/dangerous is it to climb walls in adventurer mode?

youtube.com/watch?v=0S22BFaos6A

Drumpfposting is not allowed.

its only objective when I die

Unworked stone/boulders: Easy
Blocks: Hard
Smooth natural stone: Impossible or virtually so

its more confusing than difficult most of the time imo.

>Drumpf
lol pic related

But seriously, I can't escape this fortress. Can I climb by way out of here? It seems to be a magma shaft so I don't want to fall.
Hmm, I may be fucked.

And you can't retire?

Why am I not surprised that most people who support Donald DRUMPF are fat, stupid, pasty white people?

Oh boy.

nth for none of that shit, and a tiny little mantisfriend

it's going to be. 2x8 embarked, dropped pop cap to 30. think I'll make a big tavern on a tower over the ocean

Those are people that support Clinton.
Trump supporters dont' call him Drumpf.

anti-drumpfs, just like pro-drumpfs, are american

youtube.com/watch?v=TnOsKz8p1GI

so, how about them dorfs?

I like dorf.

>giant cave spider eats one of my off duty mace lords

They're not leaving the barracks again until my long term visitor cave patrol is up and eating casualties for me.

They are wearing the red hat, though.

And? You're not a trump supporter by wearing a red hat. Especially one that makes fun of the candidate.

>dwarf fortress general: politics and biological purpose

GET

OUT

Read the hats.

Also, managed to find my way out.

Give me a reason I should play Dwarf Fortress

You shouldn't.

because you like kicking someone so hard in the nuts that they are permanently unable to have children, their spine breaks and they're paralyzed, and the shattering of their hips causes bone fragments to go everywhere and inflict massive arterial bleeding

because you like reciting poetry that arouses random npcs

because you like sustaining your fort on finely minced tallow, finely minced tallow, finely minced tallow, finely minced chicken roasts

Generaly speaking you have as much reason to play this as any other game.

A reason to play it compared to other games would be that for one it leaves a lot to your imagination, that it sometimes crosses the boundary between a game and a job, but not in a chore kind of a way, that gives you a feeling of accomplishment when you get things to act exactly the way you wanted them to go, and that it's a pretty great sandobox to build and make stuff in.

Guild my fort in such a way that everyone wanting to enter would have to walk through a waterfall, for the purpose of hygiene. Unfortunately, all this lead to is a huge pool of the shit I wanted to keep out right inside the fort entrance. How the hell do I clean it? None of the dwarves have cleaned it manually, even after I assigned burrows and disabled all labors but cleaning and so on and so forth.

I hope you like FUN

>Guild
Godamnit. I meant built, obviously.

Flow chart like this is bloated because usually you won't include steps like, "move cursor down once and press [c]"

I don't recommend it.

Embrace it user

give me one reason you shouldn't

inherently silly because dwarf therapist is pleb tier

bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=425
This ancient bug report describes dwarf cleaning behavior, and includes pretty detailed comments on what conditions will motivate a dwarf to clean. You should be able to figure out a solution from it.

Also you should note the information in this only-slightly-more-ancient bug report since flowing water is involved.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=296

are all bone weapons the same?

Man, he got fucked up

Yes, normally, but that user mods his megabeast bits to have special properties.

Megabeasts are iron~, dragons/hydras (don't know why hydras, really bad idea but I like them being terrifying) are steel+, semimegas are copper~, as are goblins, trolls, yeti, and similar.

Carving stuff out of kills and shit seemed neat and before I knew it I was all skyrim'D out.

Yeah, I was hoping to get guts to carry around in my teeth, kicked his dick off instead... let him live.

a thread or 2 ago I asked about fleeing mechanics so I could reliably kill anything which isn't a building destroyer, here's what I came up with

the door is locked and the shortest path into the fortress, so building destroyers always go that way while everything else will path around into the traps

>I do admire a OH GOD IT'S A FUCKING CHARNEL HOUSE

Does anybody know exactly how long it takes for corpses in corpse stockpiles to degrade like vermin corpses do in refuse?

My maximum size corpse stockpile is getting clogged because my dwarves insist on punching the teeth out of every goblin and elf that comes around.

so... pic related just happened.

This is apparently the Lord Consort of a neighboring civilization, and she even brought an entourage with her: a swordsman and a bowman.

I'd like to accept her residency request just for the two soldiers, but I'm kinda iffy. She IS a noble, after all. If I accept her, will she make demands and mandates? Or if she doesn't, will she still have her noble room quality requirements and just go insane because of lack of accomodations?

Also, let's say she suffers a mysterious accident while in my fort, would that lead to any negative consequences with her civilization? Like how if you kill a diplomat it can lead to that civ declaring war on you?

Okay, I figured out the real problem. I have a constructed temple protruding from the cliff face above the dirty spot. This makes the tile light and above ground, but inside. This means that rain can't reach it, but dwarves won't clean it. I guess bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1140 isn't entirely gone.

Looks pretty effective, but goddamn am I cringing at all that wasted meat. Stick a butcher shop down there or something.

You mean like, degrades into nothing? Never.

The teeth bits will stick around forever, and while the main bodies and limbs will decay down into stacks of bones after 3-4 years, those bones will never decay further. Ya gotta dump em manually.

Oh, oops, it's a man, not a woman. For some reason I always read the Consort roles backward. Like 'Lord Consort' as 'the Lord's Consort' and not 'a Consort who is also a Lord.'

I've got 4.5k meat and 1000 prepared meals for 60 dwarves already, thinking about dumping some of it into magma

You might still be able to get them to clean an adjacent square if one is underground. Cleaning affects a 1 tile radius around the targeted tile, so maybe you catch the offending tile that way.

Workaround: build a bag or chest or weapon rack or any other 1x1 pathable object on the spot. Then deconstruct it.

Presto! Clean furrowed san--

Oh. It's on a bridge. Tile's fucked, mate.

>boar man escapes fortress without climing
>goes to nearest populated mound village
>CORPSES OF GOBLINS AND DORFS
>ZOMBIES AND SHIT
>search and find not one but two dorf necros just chilling among more corpses at the civic mound

oh boy here we go

People should really stop posting this unefficient mess.

Yes, I know. There is 1 tile on the far edge of the waterfall that is underground, and each time I cancelled the station one dwarf would walk over and clean it. However, the area I need to be cleaned is 4 tiles wide and 3 tiles away from the underground tile.

Fuckin' rip.
I don't suppose raising then dropping the bridge would fling the contaminants to somewhere harmless? I'd do it to find out but it would be a significant investment of time to block off access, since it's the main hallway and only entrance of the fort.

I've gotten lucky enough that nothing with dangerous extract/blood has attacked (actually it's been almost 4 years and I've gotten nothing but a couple of goblin sieges and a lone giant. This is the longest any of my forts have gone with no forgotten beasts.), but if something did my dwarves would be in serious trouble.

>I don't suppose raising then dropping the bridge would fling the contaminants to somewhere harmless?

Hey, it's ALWAYS a good time for dwarven experimentation.

Well, on that note, I'm about to conduct my own experiment. Wish me luck and no loyalty cascades!

>seems to be the entire village
>even the beer mound is all corpses and necromancers

There actually is something you can do about it, but it'll take quite a lot of effort, especially if it's a primary thoroughfare. Simply do what said, but first you have to deconstruct the bridge and then build a floor in that spot so you can put something there. I don't know offhand which buildings will autoclean the tiles they're built on and which won't, but workshops have worked for me in the past.

Alright, let's do this shit. APPLICATION APPROVED!

>Wishes to reside in Dungeoncoiled the Wails of Forests for the purpose of entertaining citizens and visitors
>He sometimes feels sad at being separated from loved ones

I got no sympathy. You wanna be in show biz, kid? You gotta get on the road!

>I don't suppose...
Nope. Contaminants aren't really items, they're more like tile attributes that can stick to creatures or objects that share a tile. Even removing the bridge and rebuilding won't help, the contaminants will just hang in the air, and stick to a new bridge if build one.

Hm. I guess I'll try then. It'll certaintly be disruptive, but it's a major flaw in my fort's defense and it could potentially bring the whole fort down if I don't fix it sooner rather than later.

>Mace Lord has several tantrum in a row
>kills his militia commander
>kills some random dwarf that was in his way
>goes to the tavern and goes on a killing spree
>goes right back to the barracks like nothing happened

Time to get a fortress guard going

make him the captain of the guard

To elaborate, he wasn't even using his weapon. He just went around snapping people's spines with his bare hands like he was Bane or some shit. Then he'd leave them on the ground to suffocate.

Imagine if you're at a party and everybody's having a good time when suddenly an angry midget covered head to toe in steel plate and chain mail stomps up the stairs, onto the dance floor, and punches somebody in the gut so hard his spine explodes and he lays there twitching until he dies horribly, while the midget just goes back downstairs to ruin somebody else's day.

Put that dwarf in a small room with a big bridge before he ends you.

Does anyone know how it's decided as to what language the name of the world will be in? I think it's decided as one of the very first things, so it can't be decided by which species has the largest population or anything like that.

Probably just random.
Actually wait, this is Dwarf Fortress, there has to be some obscure logic behind it. Maybe it's the first placed civ?

It's decided before civs are placed.

I thought the civs always placed in order from the text file, so first is [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] and then it just goes down the list?

>walking to new settlement after killing all necromancers
>see party coming at me
>think goblins or zombies
>it's a night troll or some shit out during the day

share tales of might conquest

>be adventuring
>be eagle man
>lose party in dark pits
>fuck em, fly away
>fly over to kobold camp to try and find some armor that fits me since I've had a lot of trouble with having no good shit
>it's kind of become my main quest (I was also in the dark pits to hunt for goblin armor)
>see lone kobold wrestler
>ezmoney.jpg

>he charges
>I attempt to stab him with my spear
>spear lodged in wound
>I get thrown backwards
>notasplanned.jpg

>pull out dagger
>attempt to shank him
>lose hold of dagger
>shitshitshit

>he tackles me again, breaks my legs
>grab dagger and start slashing
>get some light hits but dagger gets knocked away
>try to retrieve spear
>can't hit him and he knocks that away too

>begin just trying to bite his hands and arms
>get a lucky artery
>peck away at his feet, legs, arms, and hands
>after several minutes of this he gives in to pain
>I tear his throat out with my beak
>mfw his clothes don't even fit me

>>he tackles me again, breaks my legs
a kobold?

>boar-man gazes disapprovingly in your direction

I was an eagle man, so pretty small. But yeah, I was surprised at how hard I was getting dunked. For a good half-hour (IRL) I thought I was fucked.

Eagle men are really REALLY small. They're half the size of elves.

>kill night troll
>see another party
>ambush!
>one single dorf expedition leader
>comes right the fuck at me
>gets a hoof to the knee, then head

what...

>share tales of might conquest

>start adventure in 5 year old pocket world
>climb only mountain
>visit hillock
>pick up a couple of companions
>kill nearby night creature
>rescue kidnapped child
>kill another night creature on the way to the human hamlets on the other side of the island/continent/world
>get fancy new gear, including a knife to use as a backup weapon (I gave my starting dagger to one of my companions)
>go to kill the night creature near the hamlet I just got a fancy new axe from
>get our asses handed to us in part because I momentarily forgot about the backup knife I had gone to such trouble to acquire
>die in a hole in the ground

Sorry about the lack of detail, it was about a year ago irl.

I've got a FB which won't go into his home

what's up with that?

>boar man enters citdel for some group
>claims it in the name of his group
>frail lord spits at him
>one punch kill
>now walking the halls killing anyone who spits at or name calls

>annexing village after village
>go for bandit camp, gets dark
>cackling
>beating bogeyman up
>lucky bite to tail and shake ruins my lower body's nervous system
>now crawling and fighting
>kill 4 bogeys
>need to run for shelter

how do I heal my spine

user...

Up and down stairs only require one tile, right? Any more is just looking nice?

I've an aunt who would like to know the same

You're fucked. Get used to crutches.

If you only have one set of stairs your dwarves will climb all over each other. I like to use a row of three since it means there's plenty of room for dwarves and fortress layouts should only require going in one direction most of the time anyways.

I have 1 crutch now. How do I use it. Even crippled. I bodied about 5 gobs at a bandito camp.

The library was a success.

Japa is literally a magical creature.

youtube.com/watch?v=LZ5ON4QUOXk

Here is my strategy

1. Find a location with no aquifer, trees, and fresh water

2. 2 carpenter/wood cutters 2 mason/miners 2 growers and 1 mechanic/building designer. Focus on putting points in plump helmets

3. Pause and mark mode a future well and design of a fortress to house the population cap of 200 dwarfs, including special marks for where you will put traps in the future

4. Get the farm and carpenter workshop going, as well as the bedrooms, then after that, focus on getting the fortress well with two flood gates going in order to allow the dwarfs to drink while in the fortress under the ground.

5. Finish off about 20 dwarf populations worth at a time and be sure to have 1 soldier for every 10 dwarfs from the start while focusing on traps for protection. Be sure to finish off making the graveyard, a dining hall, some more workshops, stockpiles, and things like that.

6. Be patient and be sure you have traps for the random events. If you must and embarked in ice, dig to the cavern level quickly. Work your way to the lava and build up from there.

I wonder what Japanese people would think of dorf fort

999/10
Give it a few years, and Amok vision will have a mode that generates Windows Maze style screensavers using your own fort.

I look forward to checking out some of the campsites and shit I've made like this once dfhack catches up.

Plus shit like sewer tunnels, catacombs, castle keeps.

How many Stills does a fort of 100 people need to keep everyone nice and inebriated?

like 1

One. Maybe two.

One is not enough.