Whats a good car/truck/suv that is 4wd and I can pick up for under $8000...

Whats a good car/truck/suv that is 4wd and I can pick up for under $8000? Going away to college in the mountains and the weather is notoriously shitty there (appalachian state)

pic related considering a xterra

Other urls found in this thread:

fueleconomy.gov/feg/byclass/Sport_Utility_Vehicle2004.shtml
charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5636576470.html
tricities.craigslist.org/cto/5628532028.html
charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5623452454.html
charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5617977150.html
youtu.be/SAB3Q3HoYmo
boone.craigslist.org/cto/5638472703.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

$8k will get a better Xterra than a 4Runner unless you get incredibly lucky. Just expect mileage to suck on any V6 4x4 SUV.

>inb4 the faggot with the stock xterra comes in bragging about solid axles

shut up and buy a civic. awd is unnecessary.

4x4 =/= awd you retard

Xterras are nice. The VG33 is decently reliable, and doesn't get TOO awful of mileage.

Toyotas are obviously alright but hold their value far better. Older Rav4s are kinda neat.

Could get a crewcab S10 or blazer. Ford Ranger. You can get full size ram 1500s in pretty good shape for that much money.

Lots of options for $8k.

>lets be pedantic

if it doesn't have lockers it's no better than awd. all he needs is good snow tires.

xterra's are tiny inside desu and parts are more expensive compared to domestic counterparts

I'd look for a cherokee or gmc jimmy or god forbid an explorer instead

>I'd look for a cherokee or gmc jimmy or god forbid an explorer instead
All cheaper because they are all terrible.
Explorer is the best of them, and i even hate ferd.

Go for a 4wd expedition. You're new to the driving conditions, so you'll get stuck at least once. Might as well get stuck in style and comfort.

But seriously, a heavy vehicle with 4wd and just crawl around.

>Remove mudflaps and bitch bars
>Lift
>Add larger tires
>Solid axles optional

>Sc models are worth there price(nicer stereo with sub and amp better cloth/leather seats 220hp decently peppy have a nicer sounding fuckhuge exhaust

>used xterra
>used 4runner
>"better" than any of those

an $8k explorer/jimmy/cherokee will be much better than any $8k xterra you'll find

>aka douche "mods"

No

No.

Jeep Xj then just mod it

Good joke.

>buy jeep for $2k
>spend the rest on gas

>buy jeep for $2k
>spend the rest on parts trying to fix it
Ftfy

Ok, go on craigslist and TRY to prove me wrong

>le hondaman
opinion disregarded

I have never read such a big load of tripe.

>tfw I live 40 minutes away from Boone
>tfw Tindr is filled with nothing but the most generic "hiker" girls because they all go to ASU
I'd rather die alone desu.

That said the weather really is shit up there. It wouldn't be so bad, but NC gives no shits when it comes to road maintenance. Buy the Xterra if you want it. Veeky Forums never gives straight answers. Do your own research.

1st/2nd gen Pathfinder

I've got an '05 xterra, first year of the second gen. Got it for 10k with 85k miles on it. Manual, so no trans issues, I love it. Rock solid and I get ~21mpg commuting in the summer, less in the winter or anytime I use 4wd. Awesome camping vehicle with plenty of pep. I like its utilitarian interior, easy to clean.

Ymmv

If you get an 02-04, get the supercharged one or else it will feel sluggish. You can probably afford an 05 or 06, but you would want to get a manual as the autos have transmission issues from 05-08. I have an 09+ so it's a bit different, but overall I like mine besides the overly plastic interior.

wat

Manual transfer case, auto transmission

>chinese reliability meme
>afraid of buying american because that ignorance spike in your head which makes you fear $2000 repair bill

you deserve to overpay for inferior asian yellow piss watering down inside your frontal lobe.

>Just expect mileage to suck on any V6 4x4 SUV.

haha, no fag
the mileage sucks because nissan is an inferior asian shit company and they essentially threw this tiny altima v6 engine into a truck.
enjoy that $3500 repair bill when that engine wears the fuck out prematurely because it always has to preform double duty

The mileage on any 4x4 SUV of the early 2000s pretty much sucks. Don't see why you're so flustered by a relatively reliable platform.

the mileage on the xterra is especially shit, more so than any other SUV of its class
and its funny because weebs will basically come up with general roundabout excuses for why the japanese are retarded

fueleconomy.gov/feg/byclass/Sport_Utility_Vehicle2004.shtml

Oh, no! The Xterra is about average for fuel economy in its class size, therefore the Japanese are retarded.

damn boi
the exterra gets a known 14mpg highway tho

nissan somehow managed to cheat the emissions bullshit

the xterra is literally the worst gas guzzler of its class because they fitted it with a dickless little chinese motor, and compensate for the lack of power by throwing on a hungry throttle

they also suck at passing emissions

just give up

Assmad gm fangirl

>the exterra gets a known 14mpg highway tho
yeah, and jet fuel can't melt steel beams

1992 Geo Tracker in mint condition: 3k
3" lift kit: 1k
Competent off road rims + 32" tires: 1k
New soft top: 500

Leaves ya 2.5k for stuff like winches, fog lights, and whatever engine upgrades you feel nessecary.

You'll have a blast on or off road and wont even blink during winter.

Oh, and it's convertible!

>You'll have a blast on or off road and wont even blink during winter.
Except when you realize you actually want a roof and don't want to freeze your ass off

>the exterra gets a known 14mpg highway tho
No it doesn't.

XJ all the way

>What is a removable hardtop

If you can find one, get a subaru tribeca. Best fucking car I've ever driven in.

Just FYI, you should have the hard AND soft top. That way you are cool in the summer and hot in the winter.

you're an idiot if you truly believe this

the mpg can be closer to 12mpg highway
this is very well known.

The only way you're getting 12 hwy is if you have a massive lift, large tires, steel bumpers, and no mods for better fuel efficiency.

ford explorer is a very strong yes for gen1 - 2
after 2001 is a big no.

then yes again after 2005

grand cherokees are another gambit
first gen has many issues you need to know about. second gen is totally different but with a host of its own problems. they can be solid but you really have to do the research and also find one from a single owner who you are sure have never pushed that mexican tier cast pot-metal shit engiene (inb4 4.0 L6 bulletproof meme)
yes chrystler even managed to fuck the 4.0 up, even worse on the 2nd gen GC

XJ cherokees are mediocre reliable but also have their quirks, but are overpriced now, so you will be paying that XJ tax

the jimmy can be another pile of ass, this is probably the worst option out of all 3
stay the fuck away from General Malfunctions

ford explorers are really good though

right, you obviously don't know shit

i've actually owned an xterra
they get the same mileage as a comparable vehicle almost twice the weight

the xterra is literally the worst fuel efficient 4x4 SUV on the market, given its size and weight

>i've actually owned an xterra
And I still do. Got 15 mpg combined with a 2" lift and 33" mud terrains and now gets 11-12 combined with an 8" lift and 36" mud terrains. Steel front and rear bumper and rock sliders. Or maybe the gas pump is lying to me.

Shit ugly plastic and pigfat as fuck. More competent than most early '00s SUV's but that's faint praise. It barely qualifies as an off roader and because of the pigfat that ugly plastic is going to sink in the mud.

Single most boring choice. Nothing bad about it but nothing particularly good either.

Explorer is a mall crawler, it has no clue what to do in harsh conditions. I like the Jimmy but it's shit reliability, it'll rust just from staring at it and sucks gas. Cherokee is actually a solid choice but get the early mid 90s one, none of this unibody mid 2000s bullshit.

>Being this defeatist
If you can get a $2000 expedition, go for it. You'll have $6000 left for gas. That should last you a month or two

This brings memories of Baywatch Haway

ITT people who don't know shit about ford

>Cherokee is actually a solid choice but get the early mid 90s one, none of this unibody mid 2000s bullshit.
Yeah, the Cherokee you're recommending is also a unibody genius (and an awful one at that).
>Shit ugly plastic and pigfat as fuck. More competent than most early '00s SUV's but that's faint praise. It barely qualifies as an off roader and because of the pigfat that ugly plastic is going to sink in the mud.
>it barely qualifies as an off-roader because I don't think it looks like one
Into the trash with your opinion.

>get the early mid 90s one, none of this unibody mid 2000s bullshit.
All Cherokees were unibody you dumb fuck.

>the mpg can be closer to 12mpg highway
With what, 40" tires? My dad has owned one for fifteen years that's stock and gets ~20 on the highway.
>wah, my car doesn't get the EPA mileage after I added 200 pounds of unsprung weight to my car

>XJ cherokees are mediocre reliable but also have their quirks
The drivetrain is fucking bullet proof but having put close to 40,000 miles on one JESUS CHRIST ALL THE LITTLE SHIT THAT BREAKS. If you can deal with like $300 and ten hours of repairs every 10,000 miles or so then most love them.

I think you have a very open definition of the term "bullet proof". The only thing bulletproof about the XJ is the long block. The rest of the drivetrain is pathetic.

No it barely qualifies as an off roader because it's useless

>because I said so
intothetrash.jpg
>inb4 made up anecdote

>regularly known for lasting 300k+ miles with no major overhauls and basic maintenance
>not bullet proof

Sure, if it's not abused. Literally every other vehicle drivetrain out there is capable of such feats.

There's only one right answer for this and it's not an xterra.

charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5636576470.html
tricities.craigslist.org/cto/5628532028.html
charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5623452454.html
charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5617977150.html

Stay out of my state, damn yankee.

>Literally every other vehicle drivetrain out there is capable of such feats.

Yes
No
Big no
No
Yes

Little truck is best truck

The X90 is unstoppable in the snow.

youtu.be/SAB3Q3HoYmo

Get an explorer. They last forever and can be had for way cheaper. Parts are a dime a dozen since it shares the platform with the ranger.

Eddie Bauer v8 if you want to roll in style

>>the mpg can be closer to 12mpg highway
>With what, 40" tires? My dad has owned one for fifteen years that's stock and gets ~20 on the highway.
Actually, with 36" tires. That's about what mine gets but if I get better gears and a tuner and some little things I can probably bring it up to 15 combined. Don't know why this user is so mad.

>Actually, with 36" tires
Yeah I was just tossing out a number. I find people who bitch about their MPGs while running huge tires to be retarded. Either deal with it or get a set of normal ones for driving around town. I don't get at all why you'd drive around daily with $1000 in offroad tires with a life of 15000 miles anyway.

>I don't get at all why you'd drive around daily with $1000 in offroad tires
Lol, wish they were that cheap
>with a life of 15000 miles anyway.
My mud terrains will last 50-60K miles with proper alignment and rotations.

>My mud terrains will last 50-60K miles with proper alignment and rotations.
Don't a lot of the fancy A/T tires only have a life of like 20-30k miles because they're so soft to grip the ground better?

I live in this region and would say its not necessary unless you have other reasons for wanting a 4x4. If you just have the money and want one thays fine obviously also but wouldnt comsider it a requirement based on local.

Exploders are shit, as are Expeditions and Rangers.

Toyo Open Country A/T IIs have a 65k mile warranty. If you get the right tires, they last.

Just wait until you have to go up an icy mountain road. I've recovered too many people that came up to the mountains thinking that their 2wd would suffice on icy roads.

This. I have beat mine to death and it just keep coming back for more. Mine is a 99 and I get 20 mpg, which is bitchin for a 4x4

If you buy American, especially with 4x4's, youre a retard and you deserve all the problems youll have to deal with desu. dont act like there wasnt fair warning

>reliable
>posts fj40
youre fucking clueless, kid. stop posting any time.

find the word "reliable" in my post, or anything related to the pic

protip- you cant

typical low IQ fucktard, Idiots like you have kept Chrysler and GM alive for all these years

posting more superior 4x4's cuz i like to see you assmad

>15278910

found the civic/corolla fag

>superior
>fj
>literally known for falling apart
stop posting any time clueless teenager.

ok, confirmed bait at this point. Good one, you had me goin

College is the only acceptable time for a scooter

the owner of this vehicle is a fucking retard
all of that work is payed shop shit
lol on a nissan xterra

typical amateur afraid of buying american who ends up buying a low tier garbage toy and dumping 15k + priceless faggotry on it

typically people who live in major cities do this

gud post

Here OP I got you.

boone.craigslist.org/cto/5638472703.html

And Boone is pretty close.

Lol. I've gotten 25mpg on a road trip and am averaging 18.8 with over 16k miles tracked. What year/trans was your xterra? All city driving?

If you don't get a 1992 Geo Tracker you will get stuck in the snow. Literally the 92 Geo Tracker is God's car.

>all of that work is payed shop shit
>lol on a nissan xterra
That's just not an Xterra and not even a Nissan

Danger Ranger

i meant to say suzuki

>My dad has owned one for fifteen years that's stock and gets ~20 on the highway

ITT we post absolute bullshit