About to buy a 2006 Subaru Forest L.L. Bean for about $8000, but I'm a little worried about the head gasket issue

About to buy a 2006 Subaru Forest L.L. Bean for about $8000, but I'm a little worried about the head gasket issue.

What does everyone think about the car? It has 139,000 miles on it and drives beautifully.

Other urls found in this thread:

orangecounty.craigslist.org/search/cta
orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/5579620469.html
losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/5634249245.html
orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/5623680933.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>auto
cringe.
check service history op

Service history looks great.

First owner changed oil every 3 months, got regular maintenance. It did fail emissions test on 3/28/12 but then passed emissions the exact same day.

sensors probably werent ready. thats why. no big deal
forester is a great vehicle. i recommend it.

If the HGs are fine now, do you think they were already replaced?

unsure. they usually fail around the 120-130k mark. is it a private owner?

The headgasket meme doesn't affect Subarus built after 2002. Just make sure the timing belt was done.

It's a small dealership

so a dealership that does not specialze in subaru?
>inb4 la mexicana los amigos car primos

dont buy it. never buy from a offbrand car dealer ever.

Hmm, didn't know that was an issue.
They're not mexican, they're total white bros and they get pretty good reviews.

So if offbrand car dealers are off the list, would getting a '95 Pathfinder from Salvation Army be a good idea?

>Hmm, didn't know that was an issue
It isn't. That guy's a moron. Just make sure the timing belt was changed (should be done every 60k), and that there's no rust (they're famous for it on the sills under the car and the rear quarter panels

this is the problem with people buying from those types of dealerships
>sells all makes and models
subaru uses horizontally opposed H4 boxer engines.
you cant expect that those mechanics know every single make and model on planet earth and know how to fix everything because they dont.
ill put money on it the timing belt nor the headgaskets have been replaced.
and to answer your question yes buying a 95 pathfinder from the salvation army is a bad fucking idea unless its under 800$

you are buying retarded op wtf are you doing?

I'm trying to buy under $9000

post your local craigslist.

so go to a regular known dealership i,e honda toyota nissan subaru kia hyundai acura chevy ford dodge and buy one of their cars.

You're a fucking moron if you buy from an offbrand lot. They get all the reject cars dealers don't want from auctions.

orangecounty.craigslist.org/search/cta

Fuck, I haven't heard about that. But it does make sense since the selling price is $2000 below market.

When you said L.L. Bean I L.L. approved. That was one of those worthwhile trim upgrades if I recall correctly.

>orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/5579620469.html

there you go OP

That would be good if I were looking for a sedan

I'm looking for a decent offroader SUV thats good on the road, which is why I was looking at subaru.

>losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/5634249245.html

what about this?

orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/5623680933.html

Looks good, I do like Tacomas. I would want to get a manual, but I don't know how to drive manual yet, and the rebuilt status throws me off

Again, rebuilt throws me off a bit. I have extremely low experience with what goes on in the car, so I wouldn't know if it was in good condition or not.

What's wrong with a rebuilt engine?

Not the guy you're replying to, more of an open question

didnt notice the title thing.
you cant drive manual? dude its 2016 what are you doing.

clutch in, put in first, press gas pedal slowly
release clutch pedal slowly while accelerating
now your moving. clutch in, select 2nd gear release clutch.
accelerate more, clutch in, select 3rd. etc. etc.
its easy.

you cant drive manual
and you also know nothing about cars.
your life is going to be a hard one assuming you are young.
if you're over 25 and this is your life there is no saving you.

Well for me personally, I don't know if the guy went to a mechanic to rebuild it, I don't know if the mechanic knows what he's doing, and I don't know if he rebuilt himself and screwed up.

Ask for receipts my dude

I know how to ride a motorcycle, don't know how similar it is, but the only person who I know that has a manual won't let me drive it

You don't have to clutch out slowly with gas when switching to higher gears?

Good thing I am not above that age

What happens if they don't have them?

you only release it slowly when your taking off.
when selecting a new gear you release it normally while simultaniously pressing the gas pedal.

none of your family drive stick?
me
my brother
my other brother
my sister
my dad
my mom
all drive manual transmission cars.

learn to drive manual (best done by just buying a stick car and practicing)
and stick around Veeky Forums, watch youtube videos on repairing cars and car engineering (engineering explained is a decent channel for this)

Nope, my dad fucking sucks and gets the most boring cars, and my mom has an extreme hatred of manuals because the transmissions needs to be replaced more than autos

Hate to sound like a tendy eating faggot, but I live with my parents and they forbid me from working on the car I want to buy

>my mom has an extreme hatred of manuals because the transmissions needs to be replaced more than autos
You're mom's retarded. it's actually the other way around. Automatics have a MUCH higher fail rate than manuals, especially if the driver, you know, knows how to fucking operate a clutch.

>because the transmissions needs to be replaced more than autos

This is ----literally---- not true

Oh wait, women are retarded

Its funny because my mom has the most mechanical knowledge in my family. My grandpa was an engineer and worked on his own car and rebuilt his Indian

>and my mom has an extreme hatred of manuals because the transmissions needs to be replaced more than autos
Is... Is your mom related to Rainbow Ranger's mom? It's a similar level of retardation here. Pic related

Your mom is mentally retarded. Your grandfather would probably rip her a new one for being so stupid.

>Indian

As in the motorcycle?

Your grandpa is based af bro

ops mom only hates manuals and says they need to be replaced more often than autos is because she burns up clutch plates and breaks syncros
>Its funny because my mom has the most mechanical knowledge in my family.
you should just an hero
>My grandpa was an engineer and worked on his own car and rebuilt his Indian
why didnt he teach you manual?

Indian Motorcycles are based. Been looking at the new Indian Scout myself. Such a pretty bike

Yup, he was fucking awesome and an inspiration. I wish he was still alive and could slap some sense into my mom about cars and letting me get a motorcycle

She wouldn't say I'm fucking up my car by changing the oil, she would just yell at me cause she doesn't want me to make a mess and then I'd have to deal with getting rid of it.

He died before I was old enough to drive

get a turbo version. no head gasket problems there

negatory, the EJ253 has headgasket issues and was used in various models through 2011 or so

> I wish he was still alive and could slap some sense into my mom about cars and letting me get a motorcycle

>knows nothing about cars
>cant drive manual
>underage. still living with parents
so your parents are buying this for you then?
you need to be 18 to post here m8

>the rebuilt status throws me off

as it fucking should

Im only 11, please dont tell my parents im on here

i wont tell

Why are you so obsessed with suzy?

Christ, you know you're ugly when even makeup can't hide it.

because alcohol fetal sydrome turns me on.

probably not. it's a big repair that would probably appear on the service history. i just wouldn't count on it. i've heard it is a luck of the draw type thing. some of them leak early some of them take a lot longer. i decided not to go with subaru because of this issue and because the design of the engine makes it difficult to repair even if it isn't a head gasket issue

Or is it because youre a lazy fuck?