/egg/ - Engineering Games General - Formerly /svgg/

Time's Tide Will Smother You

Previous jej: The thread is dedicated to all games about building machines and systems out of blocks, in space or otherwise:

Corneroids, Space Engineers, Starmade, Avorion, From the Depths, Factorio, REM, Robocraft, Machinecraft, Garry's Mod, Homebrew, Besiege, Infinifactory, Scrap Mechanic, GearBlocks, and anything else welcome. Also, all these games are ded. Only ded games may join, otherwise they must have their own thread.

WebM for retards:
>gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter.git

Space Engineers:
>spaceengineersgame.com
>SpEngies for retards: i.imgur.com/IZekrGe

StarMade:
>star-made.org
>youtube.com/watch?v=7YyxsW_2xmo
Server: NASSzone
IP: nasszone.com:4242

Avorion
>avorion.net/

From the Depths:
>fromthedepthsgame.com
>/egg/heim idea bin: pastebin.com/Tmk14sf2

Factorio:
>factorio.com/
>guide.factorio.com/index.html
>steamcommunity.com/groups/eggtorio

REM:
>www.remproject.wordpress.com
>youtube.com/channel/UCzp2XM98-FcFWAqhFjnxSbg

Machinecraft:
>hrpbk2 wix com / machinecraft
>upload/download designs at filescase.com
>TT Mech template: www.mediafire.com/download/0aalnmvvyvm75sq/TT-Mech-Template.rar
>Helpful starter guide: youtube.com/watch?v=iLVnW5exF3Q

Homebrew - Vehicle Sandbox
>store.steampowered.com/app/325420/
>homebrewgame.com/

Besiege:
>store.steampowered.com/app/346010/
>youtube.com/watch?v=n-aG7E9gTNI

Infinifactory:
>zachtronics.com/infinifactory

Scrap Mechanic:
>store.steampowered.com/app/387990/

Robot Arena 2:
>gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=4
>gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=5

KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People
>zachtronics.com/kohctpyktop-engineer-of-the-people/

Algodoo:
>algodoo.com/

OP Pastebin for new deds :pastebin.com/4YU2GFPj

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iwwJFKRXPAA
youtube.com/watch?v=lfmrvxB154w
anthony-zhang.me/blog/rod-logic/an-engine.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=_uOBVO-GyZk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

xth for dogfighting

1st for REM not 64bit

1st for do some research sempai

your webm is the result of not using 64

>not putting guns on a fighter

it isn't actually. This is a floating point error, and is the result of unity not using double point precision

Too heavy. GOTTAGOFAST etc. I might revisit my Me410 design though.

will applying the 3rd party large address aware patch, like the executable made for skyrim/oblivion/mass effect/etc work and grant the 64-bit extra memory at least since Unity isn't doing it for you guys in house?

No, but I appreciate the idea. The problem isn't memory, as much as I like the idea of REM having 8k textures everywhere or whatever, we litterally cannot fill that space. Every texture in REM right now is 4096x4096, with the exception of the sphere, which is 9048^2 or something. Even with six maxed out ships on max res, we only use 3.5gb vram and 2-something gigs of ram. The issue is with performance on the physics engine, which isn't made by unity, but instead by a third party called Havok. They make the physics engine for Spengies and most games you see, including Half Life 2 and Garry's Mod. The only way to make that run better is to code our own, because they're fucking retarded and I hate them.

Or maybe they never intended Havok to run building games. Who knows.

one day i'm gonna make myself one of these

Did you know Fallout 4 became Factorio lite?

Guns on small planes in FtD is a bad idea.

ARISE EGG
ARISE

they're great for getting that last important bit of damage to confirm a kill

Because I love pain, we're going live again.

The Warbros Server 3.0, stable branch version, will launch today. Quick rundown of stats for those interested:

Load times:
- 51 mods. Most add missing vanila blocks or expand existing functionalities. The mods chosen are picked on a very strict basis, and there are no intentions to expand that list.
- World load time (local, includes launch server and client): 1:16m
- G menu opening time (once): 2.7s

General stats:
- Slots: 12 (for now, pending on interest may increase)
- World size: Infinite
- View range: 20km
- Stats: 10-5-5-3-3
- Mode: Survival
- Pirates: Active
- Random Encounters: Active
- Cargoships: Inactive
- Airtightness & O2/H2: Active
- Meteors: Active (lowest setting)
- Normal asteroid density
- Spawn system: Starterships, Sparky collection
- PvP: Opt-in, simplified system (tba)
- Saving: 30 minutes, 20 backups (for a total of 10h rollback)

How to join: Add Denorra, Misojner or Ced23Ric on Steam, ask for a group invite. Accept invite. Pubbie shield is active.

Any questions? Ask away.

who cares

Everyone's playing Empyrion now.

And that's fine. Enjoy Empyrion. I am not trying to poach anyone. Just that I am booting up a server again, especially since we got a pretty good turnout last night, for just ~6h played. No skin off my back if anyone prefers Empyrion over Spengies. Do as you will.

Nevertheless, I am putting it here, in case anyone from the old crowd wants to come back. I already got a couple people that messaged me in the affirmative. So, that being said, I feel like any dismissive hostility or general claim that "everyone is doing X" is already flawed in the counterevidence.

You guys have fun. By all means. And I won't give a hoot if you decide to poke your head in later on, either. You're all welcome, eggmen.

How fas does this go? With the exposed missiles, warners, AI etc I'd imagine drag is pretty horrendous.

it goes ~60-64 m/s, it a design was meant for /egg/heim
also spinblocks don't cause drag so it could probably go faster if i wanted it to

Feedback on the editing?
youtube.com/watch?v=iwwJFKRXPAA

Pretty gud.
I'd fiddle around with brightness/contrast but that's just a taste thing, I guess.
What's the Skybox?

Ashen Nebula

Yeah, similar feeling. YT compression got me down too.

vihart>>>>>>>>>>>your pseudo intelectual shit

Have your (you) /kspg/

(you) mind

Don't floating point errors usually only crop up at extreme distances?

If you plan on open space travel you could do what ED and SC do and make a FTL drive that doubles as a load-screen and instance changer and then center instances based on stellar bodies or the players location of they just dropped in empty space.

The server is now online. The address has been edited into the Warbros Space Engineers group description.

This actually has to do with acceleration, since there's no cap. If you accelerate for long enough, you reach c (speed of clang). If we capped it to something reasonable, this would take years to get to. As mass, energy and that other good shit is irrelevant right now, it's pretty easy to get to horrifying levels of floating point error. Once you need to factor diminishing returns and fuel into your craft, we probably shouldn't need a hard cap or drag. All we need is about 10000 units cubed to fit a mission into. The problems start at about double that from the origin point of the world. I was just shitposting some editor shenanigans because someone accused REM of ded.

Speed or aceleration isn't capped?

"Yes"

Both. It gets stupid pretty quick.

I forget, but is there any actual inertia in space that can cause slow-down in propulsion or a max speed?

I always thought it was just "the more propulsion you apply to your mass and velocity, the faster you go over time.

There's a base amount of particles per cubic kilometer in space. Disregarding gravity and all other forces, there is incredibly small drag. The kind that will slow down a 1 ton mass traveling at 0.5 c after several trillion years. This increases in nebulae (but only by a tiny amount, still incredibly small) and in solid bodies. Don't forget, kids, lithobreaking is a valid way of slowing down.

>inertia in space to slow you down
Just so you know, we're all laughing at you.

But for the most part no. Solar winds, micrometeors, etc, but their effect would be negligible.

Neat!

Just contemplating the validity of some form of self propulsion, like riding a bike hooked up to a dynamo.

Airplanes don't go to space for a reason, user.

I'm not :^)

can I play with 200 ping?

I am sure you would be a lot more fine than before.

>page 10
>after an hour on Veeky Forums
>Veeky Forums
jesus christ you guys.

Hi, welcome to /egg/ new friend. Enjoy your stay, because you're here forever.

> using pagination on 4chins

C-ced here i go...

>mfw it werks

Godspeed, little engineer.

fuuuuuuuuuuck

They aren't really pseudo intellectual, it's just science concepts for babbies
I should know, I watch them nearly every day

when you want to be pseudo intellectual you google PHD thesis papers and pretend you understand them and then parrot them to uninformed people
I should know, I do that nearly every day

youtube.com/watch?v=lfmrvxB154w

is there a good video out there that explains how standard refrigerators work?
I always wondered if the refrigerator from Back to the Future Part III would be possible but I don't want to cheat myself by googling it

Thanks for everything. I like Empyrion but it isn't /eggy/y enough. I will be on in about an hour.

Alternate mechanism for storing/transferring numbers in webm
Got an idea for an anticipated carry mechanism as well once I get addition going.

I think I'll use the mechanism in last threads webm to enter the numbers and do the processing/adding this way. The problem with the carry in the last one was really high torque needed to trip several carries at once, since that would happen simultaneously (if it was fully built).

that's neat, reminds me of oldschool phones

Cheers man. Got the idea from anthony-zhang.me/blog/rod-logic/an-engine.pdf

so what's this for, are you making a mechanical base 10 display for a calculator?

This is just mildly realted to /egg/, but has anyone here played star ruler 2? It's on sale and looks like an old school space game I used to play with supply lines and full customization on ships and units.

I'm getting a TI-Nspire CX Handheld for classes soon
any entertaining functions on it?
I'll need something to do during classes

Supply lines? More like supply puzzle game. Resources on one planet can only be exported to one destination to upgrade the destination planet. You need multiple and fixed number of low level planets to support a high level planet, and it's all deterministic and no supply lines is involved.

Basically, yeah. I made this binary one awhile back but it was actually a lot easier than base 10 so far since you've only got 2 states to worry about.

Making the binary convert into a decimal display came with its own problems until I just gave up. So I'm trying again but doing base-10 from first principles.

Is the only way to play a proper engineering game to actually make a tabletop game which involves challenges to be solved which are generated by a 'dungeon master' and do actual calculations or use rules of thumb to engineer solutions?
doesn't seem like any company will ever get it right with vidya unless it's a straight up simulation without much gameplay like professional engineers do

you'll have to wait till the serb update

It's a heat exchanger. Compress the gas, it gets hot, feed it through a radiator until it is room temp again but still compressed; when you decompress the gas it will become extremely cold. The cold gas is piped through a chamber where air inside the fridge circulates, the gas absorbs any excess heat in the chamber, cycles back to the compressor.

tl;dr version. Make gas cold outside fridge, pipe gas through fridge makes fridge cold, gas dumps heat outside.

Doc's version is so huge because he can't lay hands on any kind of refrigerant gas and is probably just doing it with compressed air, which requires extra apparatus to remove any water vapor before you can decompress it else you'll rapidly get ice clogging your system. Being in the arid desert would help things. But mostly, it's just funnier that it's so huge.

youtube.com/watch?v=_uOBVO-GyZk

DO WE LIVE AGAIN?

I just wonder why he installed the ice cube maker inside the machine that just expels the ice cube into a chute instead of making a chamber that gets cold like an icebox
he could have stored food in that

for 90 days

I knew KEEN had to do something, everything was working like an actual game.

>mfw i cant join because a little "hotfix

oh boy

Are there any games that do moment of inertia correctly?
I am not up on exactly how that would play out in a game but it would be interesting to have a system that can utilize a flywheel

The Wild West had plenty of ways of storing food, and precisely zero ways of making ice on demand. According to the scripts ice tea was the one 20th century luxury Doc couldn't live without.

Looking at his 'fridge' it looks like he's just got a big tank of compressed air he lets reach room temperature, then lets it go in one big blast to rapidly chill something. The ice cubes could actually just be frozen chunks of water condensation, much like a hailstone.

Algodoo :^)

ohhhhhh boy

more like "I'll go doo-doo"

The 84+ has a way the hell better software library and more support. Nspire is just shiny and slow with a color screen If you want a nice calc get a TI-89Ti or a TI-84+CSE.

t. Former calculator programming enthusiast
Mirage OS 1.2 for life
Doors 7.2 is cool tho
Still mad the CSE didn't get an EZ80.

fuck off /kspg/

Actually, Unity uses PhysX.

I don't think I am allowed much leeway in which calculator I purchase for class
how is it slow exactly?

Can't wait to see it finished

wait what are you building?

You'll push 5-8fps at very best doing full screen color. The 84+CSE will manage only 3-4 since it kept the same Z80 as before. An 84+ doing the best it can with its 64×96(sic) monochrome will clear 40fps doing spritework. Depending on the engine you'll get 12-20fps trying to render or raycast. Most 84+ games will not operate properly on the Nspire 84+ emulator.

Filename nails it. I mean technically we ARE part of the colossal machine that is Veeky Forums, but we'd have to be out there among the deadest and most withered parts of it.

>It's so wide that components don't even load in after a certain distance

A thing.

PREPARE YOUR ANUS FOR THIS (legitimately built blueprinted) BEAST

If it's anything like SE, it doesn't take sheer numbers to fuck everything up, all it takes is a few bored fucks and some skilled cheeki breekiing

Admin from the server says that he spawned a 12k block CV without problem, and that now it's going to try a 120k block one

two main things against that
turret distance/cannon distance/whatever is about equal, so it boils down to well-rounded combat.

no object damage via mass, such as ramming, or crashing

how many do I even have right now -- 4830, and that's just the Engineering Floor base.

>moot blocked my fucking mobile provider
>have to use guest WiFi to shitpost or pay for a pass

As I would have said at the time but couldn't, Spengies combat sucks mad dick mostly because you've got 1v1 at best. The fleet command script means your fleetcomp actually matters now and you can actually maneuver around shit and keep a distance for shelling. Include drone fighters using the same script and ye olde FUCK YOU torpedoes and you've got a game.

>moot
Whooooooooo?

some cuck who works on google plus

Be scared

Looks too clunky to function properly.

Meanwhile, I'm having a hell of a problem trying to figure out WHAT TO DO WITH ALL OF THIS EMPTY SPACE DOWN IN ENGINEERING

Very very scared

that thing is sexy as fuck

>moot blocked my fucking mobile provider
>have to use guest WiFi to shitpost or pay for a pass
Mods banned my entire dorm, they seem to think it's a vpn, even though it's not.
Tons of bullshit.
Month long ban.
I appealed it, it got repealed, then a second one issued like 30 min later. Appealed that one, it got denied but shortened to 2 days, then another one issued while I was still banned. I give up, amd now I'm stuck mobileposting.