/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

DDX in 2 weeks.

>Next Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

>Next Game Jam (Lewd -- Blueboard rules still apply)
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2016

>Lewd Jam Collabs
docs.google.com/document/d/1K9wlzcJntyOCV3KLvRcvllZ2ZUnGgrDtiwPdMLlw5XQ/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sm0Pxz0uq-62L46TdXmKisynbhLI_by-pLNlcgo4B8M/edit?usp=sharing

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ

>Chats
discord.gg/chquY2e
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ze582VGaAkY
clyp.it/t3eoqkte
mega.nz/#!c1MHCBbb!AYJYPCPUD7jq5CtbEoLWmHSeDY2pyofU7MgcAoZicTQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I removed the sliding mechanic and replaced it with hovering mechanic.
Visually and control vise it is almost identical, but it gets rid of some super annoying bugs, like jumping high into the air on .00001mm misaligned colliders.
Next step will be to start implementing networking and not drive myself to suicide with it.

youtube.com/watch?v=ze582VGaAkY

first thing I thought of lmao

Stamina usage and potion heal amounts: percentage-based, or absolute numbers?
It's appealing to just do the former, since it saves time, but for some reason I feel like it's not the greatest idea

That depends entirely on how your character's Max HP scales later into the game.

>Is it smart to first program the entire game with demo assets before working on real assets/models/etc?

Demo assets generally looks like uninteresting garbage.

You know about those pixel platformer mockups that are literally just an image? That's actually a good starting point for development too and not just marketing, because you'll see your game as in a screenshot, and then as moving. It's not seeing someone elses game with your mechanics.

You may not need everything in the visual department to be finished but you really want to have a general appearance that is in line with your vision. You can refine it and add more models later, but using pure demo placeholders, no.

What is wrong with this UI screen?
It's a character select screen that comes before the sex scenes. Another copy of the UI, with a different girl, would be on the right.

Yeah the tracks will be turns and loops like in sanic, but the main aspect will be simple multiplayer racing, not unlike trackmania (but you will be able to attack other players)

Use absolute values; percentages are only to give the player an estimate of the actual values.

Well, for the left UI it's a layer problem.

For the right UI it might has the same names, so it will only be shown on the left.

You need 2 UI entries for that

If you mean that a health potion always restores X percent of the players total health, it's good design. It avoids the treadmill of having to put larger and larger health potions into the game for high level characters. At any level, you will always have a few health potion options available, that have different effective percentages of player health healed. Many of those are so small that they are useless, get rid of them all and instead make a 5%, 10%, 20% health potion

>layer problem
really sloppy mockup, sorry

>For the right UI it might has the same names, so it will only be shown on the left.
what do you mean?

You said you copied the left UI element.. the scripts access the left UI element.

So you need another UI element to let it work on the right side, my English sucks

Oh god damn it. None of this Z-Fighting was here when I was doing the brush work. God fucking damn it. How do I fix this? Any ideas?

I'm using 3DS Max and GTK Radiant, the latter of which I realize isn't the most ideal... But it's very precise which is what I like about it.

I meant that the left hand side WILL be copied, to look like this (but not mirrored obviously)

>This is actually better than yesterday
Sometimes I feel like I should just lrn2voxel

Forgot pic, even though it's nothing to look at

So you want the left side rendered to the right side too? Are there any errors shown?

I'd create 2 UI Elements. 1 for the left character, 2 for the right character.

So I'd create one script which has UI 1 and UI 2..

I'd better speak Russian or dont mind posting anything to help someone, if this doesnt help you I'm out.

What are you trying to create? I've been gone for so long.. but still dont know english.

>spider pussy

Yeah i was asking about how it looked and how to improve it visually.

Thanks for trying to help, my original post did sound like it was broken. I know how to code all of it.

seven vaginas

>What are you trying to create?
Trying various formulas for dynamic terrain creation. Size and rotation of the blocks (Later will be planes for resource reasons) should be determined by where they are in relation to the other blocks around. Once I have that done I'll add noise.

>I feel like I should just lrn2voxel
There's two dozen tutorials out there that will teach you that in a relatively easy manner. You have no excuses.

Messing around with flares and night time in general.

There's no way to fix this, is there? There was no indication that there were any overlapping vertices at all... And yet whenever I import the mesh in any program, it's as if every single face has a duplicate on top of it.

What can be done? Is it time for a noose?

i'm learning blender!

There's some command somewhere for deleting duplicated vertices.

select all with A and then click remove doubles

see if that does anything

can you rate this HUD/10

The meter under the health isn't clear.

It's serviceable otherwise.

Did moth dev fix his wing problem?

Absolutely no change. There's no reason for this z fighting to exist. There are no overlapping vertices or n-gons or anything. I don't understand.

Bit to spread out.

Lots of huds are compact and easy to overlook. You don't want a player to focus on the hud.

So 6/10.

remove all gray and black, except for the striped panels
if you like the black try white text on black background
try a two pixel border on the top and bottom instead of 1 pixel

10/10/10/10

Share the blend file and I'll take a look at it.

Issue is that voxels aren't cheap when compared to instancing my actors.

>voxels aren't cheap
Cheap enough, especially once slightly optimzed. Also easy to use.

I could try to come with another excuse but you're right. Any pointers for tutorials on how to wrap my head around voxels? I guess creating a grid is easy, but filling in the blanks is what baffles me when thinking of it.

are you sure there's no accidentally added/used modifiers?

At its most basic form it's like this

You create a grid of data that's entirely separate from the actual game object. This describes the content of reality and it's into this you put the noise data that describes a procedural landscape(or whatever terrain gen method you pick)

The mesh itself is rendered by having chunks that step through something like 16x16x16 segments of the data grid. At the most basic where there's only rock or air as the data content then the only checks needed is
>is the current block inspected rock?
>if rock and top/down/east/west/north/south neighbour contains air. Then render a face that faces that neighbouring direction

I don't know how to dynamically create mesh in UE4 though but I would assume that there's minimal voxel world tutorials for it somewhere.

The unity one I used took 3 hours from starting the project to having a rudimentary voxel world that streams chunks as you move.

Thanks. I think I can try to attempt making that myself. Checking for air / making air a data point was my logic issue.

Alright. My computer just finished having conniptions, so I should be able to now. This is how it looks when it's in Blender, is how it looks in 3DS max when zoomed in to about the same area.

What's your preferred filehost?
Positive. What I use is GTK Radiant, which is a fairly old program that just does brush work. Brush work is just placing vertices, as far as I know.

When I import the model as is to Unity, faces are deleted en masse... Presumably because of the z-fighting.

clyp.it/t3eoqkte

to the guy who wanted some atsmopheric forest music, not exactly turning out quite like I planned but whatever.

Here's a basic outline, I'm gonna work on this some more later, clearly the middle section needs work and the voice leading is not quite right on the harpeggios

>What's your preferred filehost?
Doesn't matter as long as I can download the file without registering. Google drive, dropbox, mega, whatever works.

Is there a program other than notepad that allows you to form a prioritized to-do list?

Whenever I add things to my notepad to-do list it always goes on the top of the list. This probably isn't the best way to do things. Old ideas rot at the bottom.

mega.nz/#!c1MHCBbb!AYJYPCPUD7jq5CtbEoLWmHSeDY2pyofU7MgcAoZicTQ

I'm starting to think I understand what's wrong, but it doesn't make much sense, so maybe not. I am starting to think converting brushwork to .obj is where the problem lay.

Use a scrum board/trello

Not that guy.

Enter Edit Mode.

Press CTRL + N.

resident evil top/down game using c++/sfml

>c++/sfml

Looks more like RPGmaker

RUDE

>.gif

Until Veeky Forums supports VP9 gif posters have an excuse

I'm drawing yellow goop

webm

made a classic style enemy that drops a projectile when you are underneath it

webm

VP8 webms use lossy compression
VP9 webms support lossless compresion

>Ctrl+N

Start a new file? F-For what purpose

I need sleep

Very nice detailing but.. what is it?

See
Veeky Forums does not support VP9 webms

you need an animation for the ice cream come popping back out
could be as simple as moving it downwards through the glob of ice cream, could be something more intricate like respinning the weave pattern

from experience, any lossless compression can hardly be called compression. Besides, webm still provides better quality than gifs.

yeah, that's the problem that user is pointing out. Veeky Forums doesn't support VP9 anything. And the user is using that as an excuse to use gifs.

So what if it's lossy? we're on agdg here.

Plus i prefer lossy webm where i can see and navigate through instead of a fucking gif.

protip if you're showing more than 2 sec don't post a .gif

FUCKING GAMEMAKER THERE'S NO FUCKING LOGIC IN HOW IT WORKS

It recalculates normal so they point outwards. Right now your normal points in all manners of directions whichprobably contribute to the situation.

pic related.

I don't see the same z fighting that you do though, how did you get that?

I'll keep making superior gifs and there's nothing you nerds can do about it.

>

Filter filename "*.gif" and I don't care about you do as long as I don't have to see it

I can make 2 minute long webms

Wha...? Why not?

I just moved the camera to the interior of the bow. Pressing Ctrl+N just toggles a grand total of one of these blue lines to move to the left.

Well the model itself has inverted normals, Ctrl + N when in edit mode. (Press Tab after selecting the model) recalculates the normals. Or use the button on the left.

Your problem seems to lie in overlapping faces in the part with the "broken wing" or whatever, which is harder to get rid of than overlapping vertices. You'll have to do it manually and maybe even fix the topology in some places. I've made a video showing how, but for now it's converting.

Is it even worth it to make a side scrolling game, nowadays?

I'll bet 50 dollars you're not going to do that, or you'll change your mind after you realize 95% of hits will not even be game dev posts.

If the cat is always in the green mech, then your HUD should have green metal panels to match.

Also, why do you have this internal structure? I don't see any openings that would ever reveal it? I cut it open with Bisect here.

How do i force the blender to select the ring of horizontal faces and not the vertical faces when i press shift alt select?

Ahhh thank you. I figured that... There's overlapping faces everywhere, literally everywhere.. This is a lot of work to just redo from scratch, but does it really look salvageable?

nice one senpai, looking good.
Except the blade's too thick, too wide and too dull.

It's probably because of how GTK radiant lops edges off of rectangles. I didn't make a single one of those internal faces.

give me my 50 dollars nigga

I'll be 50 dollars you will not post more than 2-3 progress .gifs if any at all.

>TFW cant into art & procedural level generation
Fuck that noise.

rmb an edge then ctrl shift rmb on the following parallel edge

It seems that the cause of all the zfighting is because the internal structure is a complete spaghetti mess with figure 8 faces and whatnot.

I don't really know how to clean it up most efficiently but it should be done.

I had a dream I spent over 60 seconds just squeezing out one looooooong continuous turd
you can use it as an idea for a game if you want

Over-saturation is only a thing from bad games.

isn't that what you do when you post ITT?

Over-saturation raises the threshold for what is considered a good game as well

Can you make a fun and engaging sidescroller? Saturation or not, if you make something fun, you will get people that love it.

Try to poop out the longest turd
Not pushing can break off the turd
Pushing increased pooping speed
Push too hard and you can get an anal fissure
Sell your turds to curators to buy upgrades/food to poop more, longer and harder

>Is it even worth it
No fuck off and piss on a bucket. It's never worth it if you have to ask faggot.

Definitely, whatever needs to be done I guess I have to do it.

What's a figure 8 face?

I want to make a co op side scrolling beatemup where you can do all sorts of crazy fucking moves with just the punch and jump buttons
ffffffffffuck I hate having a job and shit, I never get to make games and when I do have time I'm too tired and can't be assed.

>figure 8

Select one edge of a rectangle and rotate it 180 degrees to get an hourglass shape with edges intersecting eachother in the middle of the face. Something like that.

You want to have a clean internal shell without a lot of auxiliary faces inside. You might be able to get there by simply selecting and deleting all the internal faces but that depends on how things are put together.

It might be of some use to separate things into their own objects too in order to reduce the clutter. Select everything in edit mode. Press P and "separate by loose parts" and you can work on the mesh objects one at a time, you can later select them and do a Join to get them back together into a single object.

Alternatively depending on the amount of internal clutter vs external surface area to select you can select the exterior shell of the mesh and do a P-> separate by selction. That way you get the exterior shell as its own object and the interior clutter is left as a separate garbage object that can be deleted.

Are you me?

Left my job to make gaem. Progress has been slow. First time in a few months posting here.

Cubes and spheres have taken over.

I spend too much time browsing.

What do, AGDG?

JUST LIKE MAKE GAEM