Buying one of these babies soon. Smooth and sleek 1997 Lexus LS400, Reported mileage is above 150...

buying one of these babies soon. Smooth and sleek 1997 Lexus LS400, Reported mileage is above 150,000 for sure but does anyone know how long these last generally? Would they be good for long distance travel?

Luxury

bump

Buy the 1998 if you can it's the best. They are very reliable at least when it comes to that engine. So good literally rated for aircraft use.

>does anyone know how long these last generally?

>does anyone know how long these last generally?
Once they get up into the 300,000 mile range they're generally considered worn out. By that point they're burning a shitton of oil, but the engine and tranny will basically go forever if you keep them fed. These things don't really fail in any spectacular ways, they just slowly become worn out. Built like tanks.

>Would they be good for long distance travel?
That is what they are the best for.

car is good. replace the PS pump if it's leaking or you will have a brand new alternator in your life. Replace shot bushings in the front suspension too. Other than that timing belt and wp changes will get you to 500k. Fwiw I had a 225k 1uzfe with zero oil consumption

Sweet

is that Matt Farahs million mile lexus?

Shit is insane, gave me hope for this car

>Matt Farahs million mile lexus
>doesn't even have 1,000,000 miles on it

Sup fellow Lexus bros I'm glad this thread is up since I have a question, are these cars hard to maintain? Heard from a friend that they require a lot of upkeep

Not from what I've heard; you're rx7 probably requires more maintenance

Haven't had to do dick to mine except tires and oil, oh- and add some lucas power steering stop leak. Needs new valve cover gaskets though. I'll probably do them myself.

Absolutely not.

There are certain things on certain models such as brake pads, rotors, and tires on IS and RC that wear out relatively quickly. Lexus stock parts in these cases are softer than average. This is remedied by using aftermarket pads and rotors, and harder tires. (This is why if you go aftermarket on the pads you HAVE to do the same on the rotors. Don't mix stock and aftermarket parts, kiddos.) Embarrassingly enough, timing cover leaks happen relatively quickly on certain year RX. (I'm talking at 15k miles here)

But no. On the whole they're fucking tanks, especially the 2JZ and #UZ equipped examples (IS/SC/GS 300, SC/LS/GS 400) and only ask that you actually maintain them on time.

>Needs new valve cover gaskets though
everything needs that sooner or later

That's Moltisanti's car

Is that Matt Farah's million mile Lexus?

rumor has it its still driving to this day

You got a spare tin foil hat I can wear while you explain that to me?

It has something like 920k miles. They're trying to get it past the million mile mark by loaning it to journos.

The highest mileage car I've ever worked on was an LS400. 4-5 years ago it had 700k miles on the original engine original transmission.

97 LS400 owner here

It's a real FUCKING comfy car, extremely comfy. If you get a super clean one too you'll get a few head turns. Reliable as all fuck, but it's a bit heavy on the gas.

Really powerful too, I tend to speed a lot because getting up to highway speeds is so effortless and the ride is so smooth, I going 65 feels like going 35 in my moms corolla. It doesn't pull super hard from 0, but it's still hard enough to be fun and feel like you're going fast, but from 80-120+ you're definitely in the top tier of "normal" cars.

Handling is okay, if you want a sportier feel get better tires and run at a slightly higher pressure (~37 psi), you'll lose some comfort but gain some road feel. The LS has VERY NUMB road feel, it's meant to feel like gliding on a cloud and it does that amazingly without feeeling spongy.

Timing cover leaks affect basically all RX's from 2010-2016. The 2016 cars with the revised engine are being shipped with slightly fucked up timing chains that are causing misfires that are forcing replacement.

Inspect the dif for metal flakes, leaks, or if there's even gear oil in it, these are notorious for wearing out near 150k. From the factory they are open dif, but after 150k of abuse and too long service intervals they end up performing like an LSD which is good if you begin regular maitinance after purchasing it, but if you forget to maintain it, its a count down to a blown dif. Also, the 97s have weaker rods compared to the 92 and earlier models, if you're not planning on forced induction that's fine, otherwise look into forged rods, otherwise they break around 300hp, compared to the 600+hp that the thicker rods handle

Just bought a 99. It's way better than I expected. If more people knew how awesome these are they would be way more expensive. 98-00 is ideal though to get the 5 speed and vvti.

This. My 00 LS seems to want to go 80 all the time. If I'm not paying attention, bam- 80 mph. It's like it was built for life on American freeways. Not bad on side streets too, but that's where mpg's go to die.
unless you want to add forced induction, then again if you wanted high hp/weight, go for the GS400.

>tfw I just got a '99 Acura 3.5RL
It's V6 and FWD, but it has the same "spirit" of the comfiness and luxury of the LS400.

I am super happy with it, but I still ogle all of the Lexus LS I see, though...

god i want one of these so bad. some old lady who golfs at the same course as me has an absolutely mint one, but i can't figure out who she is since i always either see the car parked, or her just driving away and I can't make out what exactly she looks like

I just got an '06 GS300 (RWD) with 30000 miles. Did I do good, Veeky Forums?