/Domg/ Dominions 4 General

Nationgen is balanced they said edition

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-progress wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/uTZnjYwm

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dom4archive.kermodebear.org/www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/debug-mod.html

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam. Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Maerlande or NuclearMonkee
>Jump into MP feet first

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Previous Pantokrator

Other urls found in this thread:

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=MAdden_2016_Hexxy_Edition
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>
>20 players

Add ME, remove WH, and start already.

>
>
>
>
>

(You)
Ye olde daily shill

>llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=MAdden_2016_Hexxy_Edition

MA game because there's been plenty of LA and EA lately. 4 players so far, starting with 10 minimum but 12 is preferred. Probably 2 UW max, more than that and there isn't really enough room for them.

I thought our pretenders would fuck it up since they were made with the mods. But perhaps it doesn't matter, since the mods doesn't modify pretenders?

I am quite sure only Summod affects pretenders so it would not be an issue. I know for sure WH does not, so removing WH would not be a problem.

As it is the admin removed ME instead, I don't think that will cause problems either but since everyone seems to prefer ME to WH anyway, might as well go on the safeside.

Abysia 2h file received
Agartha 2h file received
Arcoscephale 2h file received
Bandar Log 2h file received
>Caelum Waiting for 2h file
>Jotunheim Waiting for 2h file
Nazca 2h file received
Pangaea 2h file received
T'ien Ch'i 2h file received
>Ys Waiting for 2h file

Workers are invited to do and send their turn when they are at their workplace. Dominions 4 is more important.

>Trumpeting intensifies

Ah shit this reminds me. I'm not actually 100% sure I designed my pretender with summod enabled. Does the mod change anything with LA Abysia, like scales or anything, because if so I might have fucked it up.

Only changes Ermor and Lemuria

Do units age 4 years/month with burder of time active?

Are Ys any fun to play?

>lord of the wild leading 33 elephants

in what kind of fantasy world do you live in?

Would Llamaserver really admit a pretender not designed with the same mods?

They're worth a try for being different, but I wouldn't say they're especially fun.

>Ermor battlegraph
>get excited thinking new turns are in

>Abysia Waiting for 2h file
Agartha 2h file received
Asphodel 2h file received
Shinuyama 2h file received
C'tis 2h file received
>Ermor Waiting for 2h file
Machaka 2h file received
Man 2h file received
Marignon 2h file received
Vanarus 2h file received
Ulm 2h file received
Ys 2h file received

REEEEE

I can't hear you over the sound of 25 hasted morale 16 elephants trampling everything

Yes.

It then sends an ingame message on the first turn, explaining to every player that the guy with the faulty pretender is cheating.

I'm not even making that up.

>not flying
>not ethereal
>not berserking

You have much to learn, young padawan.

>~3400 gold worth of troops + pretender vs chaff and 8 sacreds

Yeah you sure showed him.

What don't you like about that?

How do you compare them to under UW nations, like Rlyeh, atlantis, etc.

>Underwater nations
>fun
yes I know

In my opinion:
Atlantis > R'lyeh > Ys > Pelegia > Oceania

>Turn 19
It's not like that's stage 2.

I think Summod changes a few costs, so maybe. Just enable summod and recreate your pretender, you'll see if anything changed. You can always just send in the new one and it will override the old one.

Game: MemeOfTheAges
Turn number 19
Next turn due: 00:50 GMT on Thursday August 25th

Agartha 2h file received
Arcoscephale 2h file received
Asphodel 2h file received
Ashdod 2h file received
>Marignon Waiting for 2h file
Mictlan 2h file received
Pangaea 2h file received
Xibalba 2h file received

Ahh, so we back to the beginning

How many gems of overcast are usually enough to make it last a fuckton of time (unless there's a nation casting dispel with gifted pearls of course).
Also considering overriding enchantments and worth of such an overcast of course.

I T D E P E N D S

early game 50 will probably be more than enough, but at late game with all global slots full I have seen spells bouncing with overcast 300 (specially if blood spells are up).

Any specifics?

A few hundred to be safe

Here's a meme.

Sardash bully not so tough now after getting firebombed.

Cute iron dragons though

year 5 Sea of Ice. It will make me completely safe from every player in my game except very late or by Arco, but it will take its sweet time (and seriously, unless i become a threath, and i will with time, it's a waste of pearls for them, they'd better disenchant it than teleport there).
By the way, since i'm retarded, if global slots are full, which global enchantments get overridden first? Does overcasting them protect them from an override if they aren't the "lowest overcast" in the bunch?

I have a couple of newbie questions

1) When they say you should have your first Fort built by the end of the first year, that means I should probably start the construction at like 5 turns in and finish it before Year 1 is over, right?

2) Can someone give me practical examples of Diversity Pretenders? Or do people not use them into the meta in recent times?

From the name/context, I guess they're Pretenders that take paths that their nations generally don't have (especially if their nation is really narrow in magic paths), but how do you leverage that into a bigger or equal advantage compared to bless/scales/etc?

Slot you get is random and overcasting works same way as dispel - your shit gets weighted against incoming global.

For Lemuria.

So, consider this scenario:
>I cast Sea of Ice (normal cost 80) with 200 gems (120 overcast
>Global slots full, other enchantments have 100 overcast
>Someone casts yet another global
What happens in this situation?

Thanks, but could you elaborate on e.g the general game plan, some tricks you can pull off with those paths and so on?

Yes
Diversity pretenders aren't too common since they require a bit of luck and finesse to use, being that you will probably not have a stable source of non national path gem income for a while and diversity pretenders need that to be useful. They vary a lot, but generally they get just high enough paths to forge boosters and then cast important spells (globals, some of the better ritual summons, essential battlemagic for lategame) with those crafted boosters. There's only a few nations that can really get away with diversity pretenders in general, though.

That isn't Llamaserver, that's Dominions.

Lemuria is not a good example because of how rigged their scales are
Same thing that happens with every casting resolution. Game choses the order at which spells are resolved (descending or ascending mage ID at random, i think), and then according to that order globals roll against random slots.

>There's only a few nations that can really get away with diversity pretenders in general, though.
I would say any nation that can run a good scales build can run a diversity pretender as well. Which is quite a decent list of nations.

0/10 it's shit

Guys, all the forts on the map went invisible, as did the flags indicating who owns which territory.
What the fuck is this? Is it a hotkey I accidentally pressed? How do I make forts and flags visible?

1d5 is rolled, giving a result from 1 to 5.

The global taking whatever slot just got rolled has it's gems overcast by + 5*caster level + 1d6 compared to the new global's gems overcast by + 5 * caster level + 1d6.

The one with the higher result takes the slot. Or keeps the slot.

If it keeps the slot, noone except the caster of the new global attempt will ever know.

For Ermor.

Now, mostly people take rainbows for sitesearching/new path access. Lemuria is a good example of a shitty nation that doesn't have sacreds (except mages and maybe centurions which nobody summons anyway), so it makes sense to make a pretender that has paths that you miss. In case of Lemuria, every fucking path in existence. With that you gain access (with boosters, obviously) to N4, F2-3 (enough for a flame spirit), A5 (enough for anything air-related including air queens), W5 (same), E5 (same), D999 (enough for utterdark/tarts etc). Additionally, it gets you access to great combat spells like Rain of Stones and Foul Vapors. And all that on an immortal chassis which greatly augments your already immortal mages.

There's definitely almost no point of making a rainbow for Ermor, because dual/tribless will win you any game. I already won enough with that, so I like to experiment.

Of course, only Lemuria and Ermor have that many path points for this kind of shit, so most other nations are much more restricted in that matter. Usually you'll want rainbows on nations with high scales. And out of combat.

Say it to my face and not online, and see what happens.

press 1. You can change a bunch of setting using 1 to 9

Fuck man the Ermor one is even worse.

Stop recommending such terrible builds to new players.

Please, entertain us and say why they're terrible.

man thanks so much.
What I would give for a list of keybindings.

Press ?

you waste a bazzillion points an a worthless lich.

Lemuria already has immortal death caster why do you need more.

Ermor screams for a strong bless. Every time I saw nobless/lowbless Ermor they got hilariously BTFO.

Your opinion is officially disregarded. Both of those builds won me MP games.

>immortal death caster why do you need more.
There's never enough immortal casters.

meme games against vegatables don't count

D6S6 lich can cast soul drain, astral tempest, and undead mastery, all in a single script. A4E4 gives access to the entirety of A/E, including elemental royalty and rain of stones spam.

You're a vegetable. Unless you list games you won.

pssshhh... kiddo....

That's pretty bad honestly, you should go with something like this instead. A B10 fountain of blood gives you the bless you need, as well as the capability of really pushing you into blood which will catch everyone by surprise, and thanks to Ermor's massive expansion potential blood slaves will come quick and plentiful.

This shit right here should be a reason to permanently ban a person from llamaserver.

>Ermor
>blood

You owe me new sides.

Still better than the crap you posted.

You forgot order 3 for unrest reduction and growth 3 for more blood slaves, obviously.

Wow. That is FRACTALLY bad.

Impressive.

Vintage meme.

>implying anyone believes that

What kind of scales do you have with it? Looks like you can't afford magic-3 luck-3 while having high dominion score: I haven't tried my hand in playing Lemuria yet but sacrificing those scales seems a bit unpleasant.

Ultimately, of course, the idea is the same as F1A2E2S6D7 (with dom8) Lich Queen that I've been looking into trying out, with small adjustments. The big difference is astral in favour of more water and earth: as I see it, astral lategame is more reliable than N/W/E/A since, being Lemuria, you pretty much lose the race to elemental royalty and such like by default and Rings give same kind of diversity options as elemental staves while using a type of gem you'll have in greater abundance.

I do. It's quite possible to win MP game with a little bit of skill and luck, even if your build is shit. Especially on a nation like Lemuria where it doesn't really matter what you pick since neither scales nor blesses really matter.

>hey guys look I can win against AI/okofire

I could see some one winning with Lemuria with a 300 points remaining pretender desu

ohi there Helheim. Do note that the province to your north is in my capcircle, so I will be expanding in that direction, kthx. I won't contest you southward.

So you acknowledge your build is shit yet you push it to new players like to total fucking dirtbag.

Fuck off cunt.

>AI/okofire

Interesting situation happening here. Can Fomoria outlive TNN?

kek

I'm not the guy who posted those builds.

And they are shit builds, I'm just saying it's not that hard to believe that someone won with a shit build.

I think you have it wrong, he's saying it's bad now since he can't defend it being good. That does not mean he never thought it was good, especially considering he says he's won with the pretender.

Post good Ermor and Lemuria builds.

Is Sea of Ice (with a big overcast value) good for protection in MP? Do human players usually teleport inside your watery domain with ease or is their only "not a waste" way to attack me a dispel?

In MP nobody fucking cares about irrelevant UW nations.

Being a water nation is a protection in MP.

Unless your opponent can ship an entire army of storm demons/living mercury underwater + strong water magic, you are pretty much untouchable by the grace of having more mages and all that sweet water magic. Living water spam from a bunch of your cap onlies will stop most lesser armies.

So in your experience people don't try to bother with underwater conquest in MP?
So they'd never actually waste resources to kick my sorry ass and teleport tons of stuff there, right?

We'll see how irrelevant I am when I cast 300 death gems BoT, landwalker.

When is Latus starting? I think everyone who wanted to join has joined by now.

Why would someone bother with attacking UW without a good reason? It's not like 90% of thrones spawn on land or anything.

Ermor N9D9B9 Dom9T3S3C3D3L3D3 Imprisoned Demilich

Lemuria F2A3W3E3S6D2N3 Dom9T3S3C3D3L3M3 Awake Great Sage

Both with summod.

Summod or no?

If you're playing without Summod as Lemuria, you pretty much HAVE to take your pretender awake, because you have no mages and need to empower a starting commander at least twice before you can get any.

Which is a criminal waste of death gems on a nation that needs death gems for fucking everything.

It seems Riley is going to relocate Fomoria, if he doesn't manage to lose by throwing kings at PD in the meantime or something.

>Lemuria
>D2
And how are you going to summon your best mages?

You aren't before constr 4. You are going to be researching so that those mages aren't useless instead.

Swap W3-2 and D2-3 if you are 2pussy though.

maaaaaaaan why did they not tell me this

If I got an unit with stealth preaching loudly and the tile gets attacked, will he fight or enter sneak?

Am I alone in playing exclusively against AIs?
I mean, the turns in this game take so long, I could not imagine playing against humans and having a good time with it.

1 turn a day is dope nigga, you feel like an actual general having war campaigns going over several months, ending up thinking about formations and tactics while at work or eating.

Does Soul Vortex do anything if the caster is lifeless?

Drain life gives health to lifeless casters, so I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Nope, i play single player and have a fucking blast.
Rapid turns, roleplaying instead of min-maxing and an AI that, while waaaay inferior to humans, is still better than the highest AI of most strategy games. Sounds like a recipe for fun to me, but i can't deny that MP, while taking a longass time and sometimes being frustrating, are where the most satisfaction comes from in terms of effort/reward.

Playing against AIs isn't fun when you've tasted the thrill of ducking it out with your fellow scrubs. Also, unless you do blitzes all the time, you don't actually have to do all your turns in a row in MP, so you got time to think about your strategy, or to do something that isn't Dominions when you got no turns awaiting.

Goddammit Ys you promised me 200+ supply in the province, it barely has 100. All my shit is starving holy shit.

>trusting elves

Yo nigga I thought you were supposed to be a priest.

if it's a gem generator and you put it up early(first 3 years), while you are not warring a nation with lot of S or a S god, you can just overcast it by like 15 and just recast it for way more if it gets dispelled way later into the game.

it also depends on who you are.
If pangea cast mother oak no one wants to risk a dispel, because Pangea get so many N gems that they might have overcasted by a lot, while if you cast a global of a gem that is not of one of your nation biggest paths, people might think you had few gems of that type.
no one would , for example, expect caelum to ever want to overcast by more than 50 a E global, so it's safe to try to dispel it, at least in the midgame.

Sparkly Burds please double turns.

>Caelum Waiting for 2h file
Gath 2h file received
Unexpected Nation 2h file received
Midgard 2h file received
Pangaea 2h file received
Ragha 2h file received
R'lyeh 2h file received
Ulm 2h file received

>Events: Rare

>1) When they say you should have your first Fort built by the end of the first year, that means I should probably start the construction at like 5 turns

that would be very good but i menaged to start it way later in all my games and no one ever punished me.
it also depends on what nation you are.
i would say you need to start it before turn 10, and if your nation is quite weak early game or rely on high resource troops, you should try to do it sooner.

>but how do you leverage that into a bigger or equal advantage compared to bless/scales/etc?

there are several sites hidden in your lands ready to produce nature, death, astral, fire gems as soon as you discover them. a God that has the paths to search it or can summon a mage with those paths is valuable.
There are several spells that can win you a battle and you really only need one mage to cast, and it can be the defining battle of your first 1-2 wars.
Flaming arrows, storm, or even a really good scaling evocation can be strategically good. Special summons are good too ( example: look at caelum national summons or some scaling fire summons).
for lategame high nature always has nice globals if there are free global slots, D7 summons tartarian which are reaaaally good lategame, high blood or blood + death can let you summon quality troops lategame, high astral let you cast wish and forge the superboosters rings which let your nation reach multiple summons and battle spell.
Scales are good, but lategame are only good if your nation can obtain good mages and troops out of their cap with gold.
Some nations may consider taking a worse bless that gives them interesting spells to cast , as long the bless is still usable.
Most of the time you are ok with getting to other magical paths slowly with empowering/summons and just default to pick the best bless and scales.