Unpopular Opinions

ITT: Unpopular opinions

For me it's wood trim on interiors. Seems like when people buy an old car with wood in it they get it wrapped to cover it, but I love it.

Modern automatic transmissions outperform manual gearboxes in every way.

I have no problem driving a fwd sedan because it stops me from trying to skidddd like a retard

The C7 Z06 is faster than the GTR around Willow Springs in my opinion.

Wood interiors and leather are my favorite

What car?

wood trim > shitty plastic trim

plastic trim > shitty fatty mobile with a busted transmission

>fatty mobile
>not having a statesman with an ls1

2003 Toyota Avalon, pretty solid car for being at 194k miles

Manual transmissions force you to drive safer than an automatic transmission.

That "wood" trim is completely out of place in that interior.

that's plastic trim though.

AAAYYYYEEEEEEE, same car here man!

95k miles for being this old but I love the FUCK out of it!

It's fucking awful though when a manufacturer thinks they can just slap a fake wood center console surround in their plastic shitbarge and market it as a premium trim. Americans are by tendency the most guilty of it.

I don't really have a strong opinion on it either way, but if a car company has to spend money on something, I'd rather they spend it on going faster than sporting wood.

Trying to enjoy a leisurely Sunday cruise when a bunch of god be damned woodpeckers launch a frenzied yet seemingly organized assault up my vehicles interior and my pipe,I say good day that,sir.

Bonnet ornament

Black interiors are horrid,they make it a lot less airy,and the black+wood combination is even worse

Also,I'd really want a green or a blue interior

I like Lexus's new look

Just saw a 360 with the exact same green leather everything. It was funny because it had a slight tint so the interior looked gray, then I opened the door and almost vomited, everyone in the shop was taking pictures of it because it was so awful. Still better than the F60 America though.

>fake wood on dashboard

disgusting and pleb.

>pre facelift model

no thanks

>Wood trim
Muh dick. My car isn't nice enough to have too much wood (or real wood) but it's in just the right places. People who don't like classic wood trim are those same fags who don't like wood furnishings on hunting rifles or shotguns. Not really sure how to operate your oversized shift assembly though.

As for my opinion, I like the look of the Pontiac Aztek. When all SUVs and Crossovers look the same nowadays its ugliness is actually its charm.

nice gussied up shitbox

Who does this besides Jag, Mercedes, and Lincoln?

This is an Unpopular Opinions thread not a Shit Taste thread

Nice trips tho

The majority of cars from the 1st half of the 20th century had hood ornaments. Few modern cars have hood ornaments, besides the brands you listed, Rolls Royce, and a few others.

I have never seen real wood trim on a car in my life. Everything is glossy plastic outside of very high end and very old cars as far as I can tell.

Also, I get that wood trim is supposed to be classy and they're trying to emulate it with a cheap material, but why can't they make it actually look like wood with a grain and knots and shit? Most of the plastic shit looks like splotchy wood colored abstract art.

....pls

You're not wrong at all but manual is still more enjoyable.

underglow can be tasteful and classy

that's fact

shitty plastic fake wood trim

Totally agree

I also think that a ricer look can be tasteful to an extent, as long as it's as quick as it looks.

wood trim is awesome. it's so warm and nice and nice to settle into

carbon fiber trim is cool too, but it lacks the natural aesthetic that a good set of wood trim gives

for me, i don't like korean cars. they're sterile and uninspired and lack any sort of real initiative. they took every one else's winning playbook, cut out as much as they could, and sold it for 2/3 the cost. they have no motorsport program yet sell 'sporty' cars, and try to pawn off shit engines on people when they should really just try to build race cars for a few years and then go from there

and hyundai's wrc program has nothing to do with the hyundai race cars, look it up

>fwd can't skid

This

In a performance car, I'd prefer having a transmission that can shift faster than any human. In an econobox, I'd rather have a manual.

What an econobox lacks in power can make up for in fun through being a manual.

I can drive manual, but I prefer automatic. Maybe because I tend to drive slow old people cars and don't really want to rip hektik skidz.

If I ever buy a Miata or some other light cheap car, I'll buy a manual. Until then, I'll keep my land barges and trucks with autotragics.

This. Statesman with pod filters and a lift kit is pure ballin

Depends on the car for me.

I like the new GS over the old one, same with the CT. But cars like the IS and their crossovers/SUVs look better with the old look.

Don't get me started on this fucking thing.

How so?

I want this

>comfy
>very responsive albeit slow
>dirt cheap to own and maintain
>most expensive thing to replace is the battery pack, and it lasts 250k-300k miles

Back doors look smaller than a truck's crew cab not to mention it's already aging poorly.

my unpopular opinion: kill yourselves

Absolutley disgusting. Who would want their interior mucus green?

Put off the radio/cd/whatever when you drive.

I only want a manual because I'm afraid an older automatic will fail hard (I don't want to invest in a new car).

I bought an old ford focus diesel just because I read that diesel engines are more reliable.

Cars chasing lap times are shit. Good cars don't need lap times.

They force you to gun it in second gear and dagumi around corners, thereby staying far away from traffic.

leave traffic in the dust = reduced accident rate

some Ssangyong have them

everyone, literally EVERYONE I talked with IRL said to me that GTV is "fucking ugly shit" and here I am saving money for one cause I think they look great

please Veeky Forums is my taste shit or do those people know shit about cars?

it really is fucking ugly, user. it's also alfa romeo tier reliable.

....well I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder....I guess

another one for people who are unfamiliar with it

>RI

cigan

I'm iffy on the front, but the rest is pretty cool.

here is a facelift which i prefer

>alfa romeo tier reliable meme
did you ever own an alfa? btw if you buy it with v6, andyou should then its pretty much bulletproof

No way, the pre-facelift is much better. I also think they are a nice looking car. Get a V6 one.

Heel-toe-tactics, rev-matching and most other manual-trans meme bullshittery is actually unecessary and this isn't even an opinion, but a fact.

The only ones that actually make sense (and are used by a lot of professionals) are left foot braking on launch, and using the clutch in powerslides.

Looks cheap as fuck

I like it user

but this looks just wrong

proklet cigan

I have grown to love FWD over the years. There've been times where I've wondered what some sports cars and muscle cars would be like in FWD. Like the FWD Camaro/Firebird project GM was working on in the 80's would've been like had it not been canceled. pic related

It was code-named GM80.
For reference, the W-body program was code-named GM10

I like this car

what a depressing thought

watching your industrial and development wing go from a promising 400 workers all toiling away to bring your dreams to life

as it slowly dwindles until your leaft with a depressing meager 20 people who would give their hearts and souls to see your project become a reality knowing full well it was never going to happen no matter how good the platform is or would have been

im honestly suprised more people havent gone postal

It's OK that you're gay. Just live in a big city and you'll be fine.

I like riding my motorcycle in the rain. I find it comfortable and relaxing.

The white trash redneck mullet wearing clientele that the FireChicken/Camaro caters to, would've never stood for a FWD version of the car. I can just hear them now all yelling after swigging a beer "Haell, no! I ain't driving no FWD car! That thing's fer pussies!"

They would've all mutinied and gone Mustang and Ferd and we'd be seeing belching bondo and primer stangs everywhere. Well, OK. More than we do now anyway.

When you shower, do you do it with your clothes on?

>They would've all mutinied and gone Mustang and Ferd
Except Ford tried to do the same thing. And their FWD Mustang actually made production.

IIRC, a number of the workers taken off the GM80 project were split between Project Saturn (which became the Saturn S-series cars and therefor had free reign to do whatever the fuck they wanted), or the GM10 project, which became the W-body. It's rumored the 3.4L DOHC V6 of the 1991-1997 W-body cars was originally planned for the FWD 4th gen F-body and the second gen Fiero.

And only girls bought that car, as I recall. No self respecting MAN wanted to be seen alive in that thing.

It did well in the market regardless. Funny they discontinued it though.

Girls didn't care enough to buy the GT Turbo models or the later Probe GT V6's. Girls all bought base model N/A 4 cylinder models. The same as they did with the Mustang.

just found the pics on interwebs calm your tits kurvats

whatever you do, just dont pay too much for it and no one will care

>the Toyobaru is one of the greatest cars in a long time

>people who cry about RWD/FF for a normal car are sad. it wont fucking matter in 90% of the time

>the more cutting edge a motorsport gets, the less interesting it becomes.

>EVs would most likely be good choices for most people who only use their car to commute

>there are not really any bad cars on sale today. you get what you pay for

>i hated crossovers. then i drove an XC60, and now i can kinda see why people do

>more power doesent necessarily mean more fun

then again, its never really contributed to the opposite

>the suzuki swift is one of the best eco-boxes on sale right now

>i really liked car design in the mid-late 90s

This car looks great, and I want one.

With the obligatory old-man wood and leather interior (do they even make them without? Don't think so).

Mack

>>i really liked car design in the mid-late 90s

Is this unpopular?

60s and 70s looked Great.

The 1980s and early 1990s are when car design really went to shit.

Those "modern" "clean" designs just look hideous and plain today. The headlamps also.

...little later. think cars that went on sale in 1995 to 2000 or something like that. but then again, i'd totaly a Sierra

If it were real wood....
That shitty printed vinyl looks horrible and you should feel bad

The Sierra was an example of a 80s - early 90s car that looks shit.

I'm saying I agree that the late 90s is good and didn't think it was such an unpopular opinion.

Just look at the 60s-70s and earlier here. They still look good. mid-late 90s and on looks good.

I don't know why the 1980s and early 90s were so tragic for car design.

I approve of most of this post, apart from the crossovers bit

the front is good
the interior is to die for, especially in with red leather
the rear is fugly but oh well
v6/hardtop is godly
twinspark/softop is ultra aids

as for my unpopular opinions:
>all cars are disposable, including "built to last" type cars, the only difference is durable cars make a bigger mess of the environment when they DO have to get scrapped
>any lifestyle car that you "need" is done better and cheaper by a boring commercial vehicle
>advanced driver training and stringent licencing has a negligble effect on road safety, safe cars with airbags and ESC are the only effective way to reduce deaths
>less than 5% of all automatic transmissions are better than a manual, even those that are better are only slightly so
>the majority of car enthusiasts are more interested in conspicuous consumption than they are in improving their craftsmanship or driving talent

People who won't admit fwd is the worst drivetrain aren't real car enthusiasts.

i can agree on this. mid 80s to mid 90s was a bit tragic on some fronts. Also, many from this early eara has aged much worse than cars only 5 or so years younger.

best example i can think of is how the BMW E34 looks really old, while a post facelift E39 can almost modern. something with the headlight, in my mind at least

I love that car so much

faggots who think everything should be RWD are bench-racing faggots who've never driven a fun car.

No they don't, some semi automatics can. Autos are still shit.

It's objectively the worst drivetrain deal with it.

I would rather see any car dead in a crash than left to rot in a museum.

Make copies of the blueprints, document the building process and the maintenance, build clones for people to ogle at but please, don't let glorious machines slowly fade by stuffing them to show off.

>he thinks auto will ever be better on knowing the best for the current conditions

>won the entire event even though it was the only FWD car in the field
Defend this.

No the worst drivetrain is modern Quattro.
The inconvenience and weight of AWD systems, to have most of the power sent to the rear wheels anyway. Why not just make the car RWD and be done with it?

>implying a modern auto gearbox cannot know what's best for over 90% of the situations, probably 100% if you're doing vanilla driving

>cherry picking: the post.

When manufacturers got serious about rallying their road cars (group B) not a single one chose fwd. Explain that.

>said AWD systems were, and still are, heavily FWD biased