Hey Veeky Forums, someone tell me about Saturn Ion Redlines. I know they cheap tacky cars, etc...

Hey Veeky Forums, someone tell me about Saturn Ion Redlines. I know they cheap tacky cars, etc. Now that that's out of the way what's user's opinion of these things?

I was looking at 1999-ish Mustangs and Firebirds to replace my rusty Miata, but I found a guy in town selling a black 2007 Ion Redline supercharged for about $4500. 75K miles, bone stock, proper maintenance, etc.

Everything I've read online makes them sound like stupid retarded fun with an awful interior.

Other urls found in this thread:

twmperformance.com/chevrolet-cobalt-ss-cable-clamp.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=kuEg2yOcCUQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bump. I'm looking at it on Sunday.

get the RedLine, its going to be a fun DD. I got an 07 mustang GT for 6500 as a DD and kind of regret it. The RedLine is better than a neonSRT4 or colboltSS

They're great cars. The only real downside is they will rattle and groan.
The dent-resistant plastic body panels are glorious and the rear suicide doors are amazingly practical. It's still a coupe, but it has 4 doors.
The supercharged 2.0L Ecotec engine has great aftermarket support. Check out ZZPerformance.

The 5 speed manual transmission was pretty bulletproof. The only problem was an issue with the shifter coming undone. An aftermarket permanent fix for that exists here.
twmperformance.com/chevrolet-cobalt-ss-cable-clamp.htm

>I got an 07 mustang GT for 6500 as a DD and kind of regret it.

How so? In my head I'd prefer a GT to a Redline.

Not him but off the top of my head, the Mustang doesn't handle as well due to the live rear axle, and because of the V8 engine, it doesn't get as good fuel economy, while both cars are similarly fast.

>"it's an automatic"

If your city or state has issues with salt and the inevitable rust, then I would definitely pull the trigger on the ION redline. The plastic panels are a godsend, thats the one thing GM got right.
You can drive it year round in the salt and slush and the fenders wont start going through.

It is 2006 era GM, so itll creak and have rattles, like the other dude said. and some nitpicky issues like control arm bushings...but replacement and performance parts are affordable and really make it a fun light car. Once you replace the shitty stuff, its good to go.
Eibach Lowering springs are like 200 bucks and an afternoon, sway bars cheap, parts cheap.

be prepared for some dumb GM stuff though, dont expect to be able to crawl underneath it without some plastic shield or cover trying to stab you in the face.

Wait, a 200HP Saturn is as fast as a 300-whatever-HP late model Mustang? The 2007 isn't the one with the retardedly huge turbo.

Not the one I'm looking at. 5-speed with a new clutch.

>Wait, a 200HP Saturn is as fast as a 300-whatever-HP late model Mustang? The 2007 isn't the one with the retardedly huge turbo.
The Mustang also weighs a lot more. It may be somewhat slower, but it doesn't take much to make more power from those 2.0L engines. Drop a pulley size on the supercharger.

Ion Redlines were manual transmission only. Kindly fuck off.

Why did GM put a JC Whitney body kit on these things as standard? Some of us are trying to enjoying driving without looking like a 19 year old Mexican.

>redline is better than a cobalt ss
The redline is a cobalt ss/sc with different body panels.

Suicide doors and a much worse interior than the Cobalt.

Rice was king at the time. Every small performance car of the time had some rice on it, with the possible exception of the Subaru Forester XT

The guy says the head was replaced under warranty when the car was a couple years old due to porous casting. I know some of these engines were known for that. It has a red flag?

H's owned it for 7 years.

>It has a red flag?
I wouldn't say its a red flag. It runs and doesn't leak. Porous castings affect a small number of cars

The center dash on these annoys me to no end and even if it dusted GTR's you couldn't pay me enough to willingly own one. But they are under-appreciated and hey, that dude just got beaten by a Saturn.

These would be amazing for donor-kit cars like 818 if someone made one.

Yeah but you can add all the upgrades from the 2011-14 GTs onto the 06-09 cars. I'd personally rather get the S197 GT. MotoIQ wrote a good article on their project Mustang, not exactly a S2000 once you mod the suspension but it's still very fun

OP here. Do cops go after cars that look ricer? I've never been pulled over in my Miata despite basically driving like Dagumi every day for two years.

>The center dash on these annoys me
Is there a legit reason for this or do companies do that in small cars to be different or european looking?

>european looking

i wish eurofags culture would stay out of glorious freedom culture.

To my knowledge, only Saturn and Toyota have done it.
I own a normal Ion and I like it. It's actually easier to look at your gauges in the center of the dash while driving than to look down at your gauges while driving.
Saturn did this on the Ion.
Toyota did this on the Echo, Yaris, and Prius
Scion (division of Toyota) did it on both xB's, and the xA.

>I own a normal Ion

Why

The main reason centre gauge dashes exist is to minimise the expense in engineering a vehicle between left and right hand drive... Given the Saturn was never considered for right hand drive markets raises further questions.

It's fun, quirky, and the suicide doors pull bitches. Plus, I couldn't find a Redline at the time, but I did find a 5 speed manual Quad Coupe.

>Given the Saturn was never considered for right hand drive markets raises further questions.
The Ion was the first of the Delta cars to be released, 2 years ahead of any of the others. And it was considered for other markets. From 1996-2002, RHD Saturns were sold in Japan through Toyota dealers. So RHD markets were considered. It also helped to make the 05+ Vauxhaul Astra cheaper to make.

BTW, here's some Japanese Ameriboo with a Bosozoku RHD Saturn SW2.

>and the suicide doors pull bitches

I'm trying to figure out how you work that into hitting on a chick.

dooooo it dude. i picked mine up for 6k with 80,000 miles. thats a good deal and about as fast as you can go for the money

Grrr, rrr, RCR,

youtube.com/watch?v=kuEg2yOcCUQ

You ditch the wing?

>shoelaces tied together

That would actually be a welded or restrictive differential. A live axle would be like having knees that don't work properly.

I don't.
>go grocery shopping
>open suicide doors
>start putting away groceries
>voice behind me "OMG those custom doors are so cool!"

The wing was optional on later years. Fairly rare option.

Funny, I've never seen a photo of a later Redline without a wing.

God that interior is such shit.

It's hard to find any Ion coupe without a wing, small or large. They're a rare commodity. Even Stolen Recaro's base model coupe has a small one.

>no one mentions that the AE86 meme car has a live rear axle.

I thought the point of the AE86 in Initial D was that it was shit.

All right, looking at it some time tomorrow. Thanks thread.

Gm makes a 270 hp kit for 700 bucks.
For cobalt ss sc and red line
Red line weighs less
And it's a 4 door, cheap insurance

wew, that well worded meme just gave me double cancer. thanks user