How do you guys afford drifting?

How do you guys afford drifting?
I've gone to a few events over the past years and it's an absolute blast, but most of the regulars are going much more frequently than me.
>Have dedicated track car, enclosed trailer, dually turbodiesel to pull it
>Bring 4-8 sets of brand new tires
>Usually break something, but have replacement ready or they get it fixed in a week

Meanwhile I'm trying my best with
>Stock motor 100hp shitbox which is also my DD
>Can afford 3-4 events a year tops
>If my car blew up I'm not sure how I'd get it home
>It would probably take me at least a month to fix something like a blown head gasket
>6 spare knock off wheels
>Struggle to afford 4 used tires and 2 new chinese tires mounted for an event.

Wish I could go turbo but thats $3k+. How the fuck to people do this? It's literally the most fun I've ever had but this hobby is crazy expensive.

Pic related the most rubber I ever bought for an event.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/0IWKp6vSHos
youtube.com/watch?v=F_jnSLds4kU
youtu.be/R-RZWTK7XxM
youtu.be/-5DFhPEzRRA
hotrod.com/how-to/engine/hrdp-1109-stock-gm-ls-engine-big-bang-theory/
trucktrend.com/how-to/engine/1213tr-vortec-5-3l-big-bang/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I can't afford time attack op, don't know how the drift guys do it. you really should t be doing it with a dd, so off the bat you need a second car, then you're most likely gonna have to make it a non-road legal dedicated drift car, then you need a trailer, but then your primary vehicle needs to be able to tow it etc etc.

fuck people with money.

>you need a second car
Nah.

Sponsors

I'm building my Volvo to be a fairly reliable drifter right now, should be pretty sick, I think a good way to have a DD/drifter is to just put a big ass motor in it so you don't have to build a tiny one that screams and explodes after a couple races.
V8 son

Don't buy new tires for one, go to junk yards, they'll usually sell old ones for $20~40

You boosting the Redblock?

Nope dropping a 5.3 in it, already got the ford 8.8LSD in it might boost it later down the line

>tire for 20
Shit at my junk yard they will sell the whole aluminum wheel and tire on it for 20 bucks

Not him but
>Not boosting your Redblock

Usually they have tax write offs for some of that stuff because they made their hobby into a business. They just have to track every mile, receipt, repair, etc.

Also, they're probably making $100k+ a year with money to spare, or retired with a great pension and 401k.

I remember seeing this old couple in an RV pull up with a really nice Evo 9 in an enclosed trailer. They spent their retirement going to autocrosses all over the country. The car was setup beautifully, and what really stood out is that they would take turns racing it. This 60 year old granny put down a very good time, and after the run, was helping hubby prep for his next run.

That's my dream.

Fuck off I don't care about that shitty engine, V8 is life
I'll be enjoying my excellent MPGs, reliability and power.
You can have my red block for free I don't fucking want it

I get 25mpgs out of my B230 after doing a rebuild/cleaning the fucker of carbon deposits. all you do is replace the head studs, new gaskets, and the bitch will handle anything. With stock internals you could get safely near 250HP boosted.
Don't need that much power to drift a Swed Sled
youtu.be/0IWKp6vSHos

>How the fuck to people do this? It's literally the most fun I've ever had but this hobby is crazy expensive.

It's not all that expensive even if you're in the middle class. It just means having a full time steady job with benefits that take the edge off of life's various expenses. If you remember, Mitt Romney (former republican presidential candidate) said that the middle class american household earned up to 2 million dollars per year because he said you weren't in the upper class households until you were above 2M annual. I suspect that was a PR gaffe on his part but it illustrated his point of view towards usa household income.

>250hp
>good
How about 350 on a totally stock motor?
How about 600 boosted?

How about 1000?
youtube.com/watch?v=F_jnSLds4kU

>one dyno pull
>time for a rebuild
Pass.
Building some adjustable trailing arms fur it right now pham finna drop that v8 soon

You're not going to Formula Derp bud, enjoy the grassroots drifting for a while. Learn clutch kicks and transitions/transfers. That's how weak powered cars look good shredding.
youtu.be/R-RZWTK7XxM
Keep it grassroots bud. Don't let the high horse FD spec shit get to you early, it's not like your going to a proam event.

I would want a road legal drift car with decent power but nothing crazy so I can enjoy it on the streets. I'm working on a second car now.

This would be the dream for sure. Too bad wifey has no interest in cars.

What would be the absolute cheapest tow vehicle for a car trailer? I'm thinking an old V8 truck or a work/rape van - tons of those on craigslist.

Pic related - the autocross event I got kicked out of for skidding

Honestly I was thinking a v6 ranger but it'll suck towing on the highway. I don't want to buy a fuck huge full size pickup unless I find one with a v8 swap.
Also do you have a welded diff or something and used that as an excuse for your skids?

>one

Referring to the Ranger.

Be hulk hogans son and get a sponsorship with good year and a endless supply of tyres

This is drifting general I guess?
How do we fix FD?
youtu.be/-5DFhPEzRRA

>>one dyno pull
>>time for a rebuild
Lolno. 4.8 and 5.3 units can withstand in excess of 1000hp on their stock bottom end, provided you gap the rings to .035''. If you don't, they butt up and cause piston ring land failure at high boost. Detune either of the enignes below, and they'll manage well over 1000hp consistently, and they'll probably last a season or two. 800 should be possible indefinitely, untill the blowby gets excessive and your MPG's drop too hard. Because not getting 20 MPG on your 1000hp dragrig sucks.

hotrod.com/how-to/engine/hrdp-1109-stock-gm-ls-engine-big-bang-theory/
>4.8
>26PSI
>60dyno runs
>1203hp

trucktrend.com/how-to/engine/1213tr-vortec-5-3l-big-bang/
>5.3
>24PSI
>70 dyno runs
>1308hp

I'm aware of what the 5.3 can do, I was saying that a 1000 hp b230 is a candle that will not burn for very long.

Problem is if you're Hulk Hogan's you crash more than three times then lose sponsorship, must be a curse.

Get a real job, Alex

>1000 HP drift car with an ameteur on the wheel

What can go wrong?
Oh yeah...

I have a torsen diff. I played dumb and acted like like I was accidentally getting sidways but eventually they caught on and banned me from that event. I found out that autocross people take everything way too seriously.

Also I wouldn't buy a V6 ranger for towing a car. I towed a trailer/car with a ranger and a v6 S10 and while they both could pull it I wouldn't want to take it on a highway or drive it more than a couple miles.

I have friends that do it and most of them just get used tires from the junkyard or some dismantler (forgot which) for super cheap since they only really needed them to last for track day.

I know another guy who got tires for free from sponsors

Lol yeah right.

"Muh sponsors" meme needs to die. The only shops that do sponsorships for amateur drifting events are broke shit holes. The only people who fling notable money and or effort when talking about sponsors are when you get into big events like Formula drift.

Probably have shops or someone in their family does, or spending dad's money.

Ok bud ;)

What kind of faggot autocross club throws people out for skidding? Unless you were purposefully drifting around corners and continued to do so after they told you to stop then they are just crazy. My local autocross (SCCA) doesn't care if you skid a bit as long as your not full on drifting and creating billowing smoke. Hell some of the corners almost require you to be at an angle before entering they are so tight.

TL DR sliding is going to happen when you push your car to the edge.

this desu if you can drift something like a stock mx5 NA/NB or E36 318 you can drift anything

In those cars its all about weight transfer and technique which is way harder than just having infinite power to spin the tires out whenever you want to.

I already own a miata tho, I want more power.

Lol what. 2 million a year is pretty upper class.
That shitlord is wrong. Upper middle class is like 200k a year.

>100hp

Why even bother

Are you just another broke Miata owning stancefag?

If you drive a shitbox and can't afford CHINESE tires a few times a year, then reevaluate your life.

Even a pair of brand new summer tires at 185/x/x is like 100

? It's not that expensive.
I drift my FF and compete on the grassroots level and do really well, people come up to me asking if I did a RWD conversion so I guess I'm convincing.

Then turbo it, it's easy to do and won't affect reliability a huge amount if you keep up on maintenance and don't drive like a total retard all the time.

You don't need 600bhp to break traction and sustain a druft

It really is best with a second car, if something breaks you dont have to worry about getting to work the next day.

As far as powering a shitbox there is not much you can do. Either save the cash to make it stupid fast. Or do all the little nit picky things you can for cheap or free. Handling being focus. Check forums for all the tricks. If someones track races their car they have figured out everything that will help. Just read. Then just drive your car and enjoy yourself. Work at getting good, but have fun.

Tires are a game, like anything else. You want a cheap way? Buy a manual tire machine from ebay/harbor frieght. Its like $40-$80 and allows you to change tires yourself. It is effort, and not fancy. But you can change tires in your garage.
(you will scratch wheels. So either dont care too much and expect it, or spend another $200 on better tools to go with the tire machine.)
If you do this you can save on dismount and mounting fees, which ad up.

Sounds like you already have wheels. Now browse craigslist for tires, check out tire shops after they close. Just to grab random ones. You know the sizes you need, just gotta find two with half decent tread.

Hard core mode: Buy factory wheels off craigslist that have a tire size you need. (regardless of what car they are from.) Remove the tires, mount them on your wheels. Then sell the factory wheels on craigslist/ebay. Make money and get free tires.

Unfortunately no matter what its gonna be a pay to play thing. Trying to minimze costs is the best you can do.

When did I say that my friend