/rlg/ - Roguelike General

Roguenex.us is down due to a security leak until further notice.
1st rlgrobin 15-rune win too!

>Shared DCSS online account.
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on CXC).
Remember, it's not fun if you didn't splat hard!

FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34 (embed)
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f (embed)

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/SgMJ7Xwh (embed)

Previous

Für das vaterland.

I used to reach deeper with any character in any games

I mean, I could manage to reach lair with FeMo without a god just because I wanted to play jyiva, now I splat MiFi at D:5, just for an example.

Why am I getting so shit at these games? Did I just burn out? What should I play to rekindle my passion for roguelikes?

Fedhas is a pretty fun god to worship.

You're not paying attention to your defenses and offense so you're playing D:5 like you're at d:14 and can just tab all the monsters you're fighting now

Sil, dynahack, Infra Arcana, Brogue

Oh man, I've never had so many choices before. I kind of wish I hadn't burned all my enchant armor scrolls on the fire dragon armor, but I'd probably have died already without the extra defense it gave me until I found all this shit.

Where does one go to get their third rune normally? If I don't die by then I guess I'll decide whether to go straight for my first win or man up and go for more runes.

Things are starting to look up for the little snot. Starting to get some good quality gear and accumulating damage/aoe/hex wand drops including the ever vital wand of heal monster. Mined enough sheckles for a pokeball. Hopefully this'll get me some good ac and I can get a horse/unruly horse without dying in the process.

Mining for jelly pokeballs and maybe a novice priest on the horizon to get the adventurer band together for the warg quest. May just scoop around stronghold:4 and go down with 8 novice rangers and my jellies.

Vaults is usually the fifth rune, although the Abyss is also a choice. The slime pits could be done too but you better be ready to kill the royal jelly at the end.

Hu feels so frail and helpless

This character died to an orc warrior (with his exact same gear) from full health, not even managing to take half his health before being shitstomped, when I got bored and decided to let tab guide me

The dry spell on comsumables didn't help either

They have a base AC almost as high as your base weapon damage man and you don't have exceptional stats, defenses, or weapons. Did you engage or flee and reengage at max range to chuck a couple javs in him?

As I said, I literally tabbed into him not because I thought I was going to win, just because I was that bored with the character. I just thought the results were even more pathetic than I expected

How did you turn into stone?

Funsilisk/Jogrun on V:5 probably. Kind of a bummer cause the usual just teleport and you'll be fine wont work. Though I think he would have made it if he was already on the stair, read, and went up

>How did you turn into *bloat*?
FTFY

>They said I could become anything, so I because bloatform

what are you playing as user? snotling something?

Catopblepas, actually.
Which made this even more embarrassing.

Good thing you went chei ;)

does catoblepas petrify you if the gas is on the stair and you press

Ofc it takes more than one turn to get up the stairs cuz he went fucking chei

Exactly.

Do *band variants have the best UI, in Windows at least? Able to drag shit around, open exactly what you want, glorious graphics, I can't think of any that top it.

Lucky snotling tourist.

Does chei actually slow down stairs? Most movement-based shit doesn't affect them.

Also even statueform underwater cheinaga movement doesn't get you petrified by cat breath: it's based on player actions rather than auts, so if you spend .1 aut attacking with your hastefinesse quickblade of speed before leaving you'll get petrified but if you spend 10 auts chemoving out of it you're fine.

Is it still 2.7 turns to go up or did they fix the balancecrime?

I think it does, im not really sure honestly, they might have changed it

The multiple windows shit in *bands is only necessary because of a badly designed UI. It works but it's not pretty or immediately intuitive if you're new

Best UI I've seen in roguelikes is probably offline crawl or brogue

The band windows are a crawl UI that isn't hard to tweak dogshit. so suck it.

The crawl UI tells you everything *band windows would without need for tweaking. It also looks less cluttered

crawl offline doesn't even have the list of monster names which is the important bit

in pcb I don't actually keep windows for inventory/equipment, just visible monsters/items

It has a bar which displays monsters in LoS, and you can see the names by hovering over them

It's also far less necessary in tiles, since unlike PCB crawl has unmistakable tiles for uniques and no monsters share the same one

>having to use the mouse
might as well not exist tbqh
it's faster to press xv then to move my hands from the keyboard to the mouse

I don't know about you but moving my right hand to the mouse doesn't take even a second. Arguing over a difference of 1 or 2 seconds is nothing but nitpicking

There's also that, again, you rarely need to do that on crawl unless you're new whereas with PCB it's pretty much a necessary part of gameplay every single run

i bet you use numpad too

hjklyubn mustard rice

congratulations user, you have made the correct choice

why can't other roguelikes use vi key movement as well?

I use one of them flight sim joysticks covered in buttons. It's satisfying as fuck to pull one of the triggers and a macro zaps the nearest target with a IMB/OOD/iron shot/whatever I have in spell slot's a and b.

>not always playing to win
>not making each and every move with the utmost caution

Babbies made it without experiencing the orgasmic bliss that is hjklyubn based murderhoboing

most roguelikes do have vi movement though?

*hacks and *bands do, plus crawl/sil/brogue i think
adom elona and DDA don't have vikeys because they're all developed by shitters

Man has a limit. We can only take so much before we break.

>You can still skill up after reaching level 27.

Whoa, this changes everything. I thought once you hit level cap your skills were locked at what you managed to get them up to.

Only once you've been thoroughly broken can you truly win.

>Start a DrCj
>Nearly die and have to quaff id curing on the fourth monster I fight
>It's a jackal

I wonder what could be behind this door?

A party!

Probably like 4 orbs and all the draconians.

>doorvault in Zot
if you don't open it you're a pansy

Ah yes, a free xp party.
My favorite.

Easy.
All I needed was like 10 fire storms and a few iron shots.

SOMEONE POST THE PIC
PLEASE, I WANNA CRY A BIT AGAIN..

This level has been a real pain. All 3 stairs are directly next to each other and right to the left of a vault filled with jellies, which is right next to a vault filled with killer, bees, which was right next to a vault filled with yaks, and all of this topped by a hippogriff, a hungry ghost and a black bear

A monster stepped on an alarm trap which woke up everything. It feels like playing depths except not being tough enough to tab anything

Probably worth reading magic mapping on that floor.

Don't centaurs still have their speed boost? Just keep skedaddle poking and drawing to previous floors to skedaddle poke.

>wasting consumables

All the vaults made the level look really interesting. It barely looks like a D level

vikeys are literally inferior.

I didn't even notice but all that shit made my piety go up like crazy

It also turned out the little lava crosses were a vault as well, they had lava snakes

A vamp weapon is kinda like having AC. R-right?

Oka still has a greater chance of piety when you're fighting 'dangerous' or 'extremely dangerous enemies,' I think.

And why are you backing into a corner as a centaur with polearms? Kite nigga, right now you're forcing yourself to burn a consumable if things go more South

>DDA doesn't have vikeys
Then how the fuck did I play it?

Why are you wearing quicksilver armor?

24 AC is a good amount of AC, user.

Having AC is kind of like having AC

Having a vamp weapon is kind of like a free 3 runes

I want to get close enough to see the glint of a giant's eyes before he hits me for 40 damage with his GSC

>that split second of lag in a risky fight letting you know the game is busy deleting your save file

So which will do more damage to Cerebov: A twice surge of power'd fire storm or an iron shot?
And yes, these are my only two options.

I feel like the monolith summoning invisible dudes when you activate it (without telling you that it summoned anything), might be a little bit overly cruel.

Do both and see

fsim it maybe

Iron shot was better but it was still a pretty fucking tough fight.
Only managed due to 2 scrolls of summoning and a phantom mirror.

Firestorm is 45% irresistable? So he'll resist 55% of your firestorm, but it will never miss.

At max spellpower, firestorm does 8d(205/8), which has a range of 8-208 and is fairly centered on the average of 100. After Cerebov's fire resistance, that's an :
>average of 45 damage.

Iron shot at max spellpower is 9d19 damage, which ranges from 9 to 171, also centered on the average of 86 damage. Cerebov has 30AC and 8 EV. The average AC roll is 15.5~=16, so the average damage you'll do on hit is 86-16, so 70 damage. But then, that's assuming you hit. But then 8 EV isn't very much, so you'll have to miss a lot to make that 70 damage per hit fall behind that 45 damage per hit.

I'd bet Iron Shot, when both spells are max power.

I actually know that feel

What does the monolith even do?

Iron shot's the better 1v1 faggot. At the same time, that's rarely a thing. Hasted crystal ball evoking Fire storms are better than iron shot

Monolith's give you 1/4 of a level worth of XP so you want to try to grab them on every floor if possible.

So far I've found levels with no monoliths, and levels with 2 or 3 monoliths.

Really important since the only sources of XP are Monoliths, IDing items, and some fountains.

with no resistances, iron shot does less damage than firestorm at max damage. Firestorm is a better 1v1 spell than Iron shot. Firestorm does more damage, can't miss, and can hit at edge of LOS. This case is an exception because Cerebov has rF+++. Faggot.

As a rule of thumb most shit you care about resists and iron shot doesn't bring your entire third of the map down on your head.

Does tinned food ever spoil in CDDA?
I'm playing the latest experimental version, if that helps...

>Be noob playing nethack
>using wiki's only moderately (usually after i die).
>be on sokoban level 2 planning out how to get through this deathtrap
>literally spend like 15 minutes planning my strat
>start it, get like 3 moves in and a monster spawns behind a bolder i need to move
>can't get to it, no idea how to kill monster
>decide to yolo zap un ID wand hoping it will somehow bypass bolder and hit monster.
>You zap the wand of death
>it hits you
>you die

Well shit. didn't know wands could reflect. I'm having quite the laugh at how fucking retarted that must have looked. I have more nooby retarted stories of my nethack fails if people want them

Ohh, those are usually pretty fun, do tell!

I don't think it does anymore. Used to take 2 years and was slowed by fridges. Search on the github if you want to be sure.

Ah, thanks man, I was mostly worried about the "Perishes in 2-5 days" stuff that it has in the description, wasn't sure whether it was accounting for the food being tinned or not.

That's if you 'U'nload it from the tin.

There's really no reason to ever do this unless you are crafting something that doesn't use the entire tin contents.

Ah, good... That means I can stop frantically eating everything...

>Trog berserk doesn't slow, consume food, cause exhaustion, etc.
>BiA has no fail rate
>Trog gifts allow you to choose between three potential gifts

>Trog now deprecates use of all magic, including scrolls, potions, rods, walking into spotted tele or zot traps, etc.

??

>Be knight, gotten pretty far (for me, its like floor 6/7)
>find scroll shop, jackpot
>I learned the nethack thing that the cheapest scrolls are identify
> buying them, taking them out and id-ing things.
>walk back into shop
>a wild dust monster appears blocking the door
>attack it and get grabbed
>kill it
>Am blinded, but i didn't realize it
>move
>you run into something
>its angry
>it zaps a wand
>you die

I didn't know that you got blinded by dust if you get grabbed by a dust monster. it makes sense but i didnt realize. Seems i ran into the shop keeper wild blind and annoyed him and he killed me.

Would make him more balanced

Including branded weapons? If so then that's shit.

Got dust vortex'd hard in 18.2 Infra arcana. holy shit, what are you supposed to do?

Broth and stuff used to but they finally fixed it.

Is the sword of jihad any good

I find with Vortexes the only option is to avoid the fuck out of them.

An occultist could probably kill them with 2 darkbolts.

It's amazing.

Am I wrong in thinking it'd be worth it downgrading from scale to meme mail so I could wear a barding of rF without ruining my EV?

Well I opened a door and got wrecked so yeah.

You're a large race with an unfitting body. You can swim against the current or embrace it.