Toyota 2006 Prius

I'm about to travel across the country for the first time in my life, and I have to decide on what vehicle to rent when I get to my destination. I'm going to do alot of driving so I decided on a 2006 Prius considering the mileage says 60 to a gallon.

Here's the thing, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to vehicles and don't know anything about Hybrids. Does the gas only get drained after the electricity is gone? Do you plug it in at gas stations and if so how much does it cost as opposed to gas itself?

Keep in mind I'm also renting it so I won't have any place to plug it in overnight assuming I'm suppose to do that.

Prius on high way is a shit. It doesn't use electric at highway speeds. Get a Yaris and be quiet little girl.

This is a joke... right?

But it's still really good MPG then yes? I'm seeing 51 on highway, the next best I can get is 30 and it's also more expensive per day.

There's only a few vehicles I can get where I'm going and this is the only hybrid. It's the cheapest and best MPG that's why I need to know everything about it.

Yaris owner here. Love my little bitch. Never has had any issues and gets great mpg, especially on highway.

Why are you renting a 10 yo car?

decent choice for a roadtrip. they are economical, quite, and reasonably comfortable

*quiet

derp

Why are you renting a 10 year old car? It'll use the ICE when the load is heavy, like highway driving, it'll also kick on the engine when the battery gets low enough. You'll probably notice on the "shifter" that there's a brake option, this will engage your regenerative brakes so it'll give you a little charge while.

>Why are you renting a 10 yo car?

It's literally the best option for me where I'll be. The other ones involve way more gas intake and I'm extremely limited on funds as it is.

>You'll probably notice on the "shifter" that there's a brake option, this will engage your regenerative brakes so it'll give you a little charge while.

So put this option to brake and it will make the battery recharge better? What's the bonus of having it off?

>extremely limited on funds
>traveling across the country
lol ok.

You're on extremely limited funds and plan on traveling across the country?

The bonus of having it off is that the car will move easier so there's no an extra load for the battery/engine. Pic related is what the "shifter" looks like

LOL. The car more or less manages all of that for you. Just drive it the way you drive any other car. And when it says it needs fuel, by all mean fill it back up!

Enjoy your road trip. If it's the summer I'd recommend I-80, if it's the winter, I'd recommend I-40.

Also, in the pic it looks like there's a key and a starter, but that's just a little slot to hold the fob, it's a button start

Ahh alright I see it now thanks for that!

Thank you everyone who helped me out, definitely gonna get this one after everything I've heard.

Glad to hear this right here that it's basically automated to regen the battery itself.

Prius ain't gonna net you 60 fuckin miles a gallon. You some kinda stupid? I'd expect around 35 with that shitheap.

>if it's the winter, I'd recommend I-40.

One of the anons in other threads recommends that you do NOT stop in Barstow California.

Where the fuck are you renting a 10 year old car? Not from a reputable company for sure. This has sketchy written all over it. You should probably kill yourself.

Wife and I averaged 44mpg in a 2008 prius over the last 3 years. That's city, highway, suburbs, 1000 mile roadtrips, just about everything.

You drive it like any other car, put gas in the tank, give it the D and away it goes. Electric shit is there but does its thing in the background and requires no input from the driver.

The B mode increases engine braking for steep/prolonged descents. I've never had to use it but there are no mountains where I live.

I use B whenever I dont feel like using my brake discs

Also gives me something to do

You'll break down right before you get to your destination OP.

>not buying fit instead
For what purpose?