Tire PSI

Should I go by what the tire says or what the vehicle says? I've always thought it was the door but my dad is saying the tire. Tell me im right Veeky Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

superstreetbike.com/how-to/all-tire-pressure-gauges-are-accurate-mythbusters
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The one on your door is for the factory tires. If you have factory tires, listen to what the door says. If you have anything but factory tires, go by what the tire says.

Don't most tires just say the maximum PSI and not the recommended PSI? You don't want to fill to max m8.

Aftermarket tires, especially when they're far newer than the car fill it up to the tires sidewall max pressure rating

Yes
Don't do this OP. Start at whatever the door says and do the chalk test unless it's a stock tire size, then just do what the placard says.

>You can also “calculate” your tire pressure with the chalk method. This involves coloring a section of your tire with chalk to see how much tread is making contact with the ground. Start by finding a flat road surface. Concrete is actually the best choice, but you can also do this on asphalt. Make a mark with soft chalk that goes all the way across your tread. Then, gradually drive your truck forward about 50 feet and then backwards 50 feet.

>Analyze the chalk on the tire. If the chalk is only worn off on the center of the tire, reduce the tire pressure slightly and go through the process again. With the adjustment, you should see the chalk wear off more broadly. Keep making tiny adjustments in the tire pressure until the chalk wears off evenly and all the way across the tread.

> all this fucking work for tire pressure
Just fill to the maximum OP, then watch for treadwear throughout your tire life. Apply what faggot as user said and add/remove air accordingly.

>putting factory tyres on your car
>being this retarded that you think it NEEDS the tyres the factory uses

>all this fucking work for tire pressure

It's almost like this faggot wants excessive tire wear and poor grip.

Unless you are exceeding max. Pressure by like 30 psi. a couple psi above / below recommended pressure isn't going to do shit to your traction and wear. If you think having your tire pressure at 34psi when your doors says 30psi is going to fucking do shit than your beyond autistic. Tire pressure changes with weather and shit.

Max tire pressure would rattle the fillings out of your teeth.

You're aware max pressure can be as much as 20 PSI over the proper one right? Mine are a solid 12 over.

>a couple psi above / below recommended pressure isn't going to do shit to your traction and wear
>a 15% difference doesn't matter
But that's wrong you fucking retard.

Holy fuck wrong.

OP most cars are good at about 32 PSI. Its the generally accepted pressure for good treadwear and smooth ride. The only time you should be setting the PSI to the tire's maximum pressure is if you plan on loading the car right down with weight.

Also, the vehicle's recommended tire pressure is what the TPMS system uses as a baseline. If the vehicle calls for 32 PSI and you shove 44 PSI in the tires, you're going to get a low pressure indicator on your dash.

The only time you really should be fucking around with tire pressure is if you have a pickup truck with LT tires and you plan on pulling a trailer or something really heavy. Cars are universally going to ride better and have better tread wear setting them to what the door jam says.

Anyone who says otherwise is probably one of those faggots that also says you don't have to use a proper torque wrench on lug nuts because "Muh factory wrench"

But most pressure gauges are off by a few psi, so wat do?

>Anyone who says otherwise is probably one of those faggots that also says you don't have to use a proper torque wrench on lug nuts because "Muh factory wrench"

Proper air pressure is very important, but don't kid yourself about using a torque wrench on your lug nuts. Unless you are racing, it's not critical.

>But most pressure gauges are off by a few psi
No they're not.

Or just buy one of these for $5 and google what the recommended pressure is, assuming it is not displayed on the tire or door.

If tires said the maximum tire pressure they would be exploding all the fucking time.

ITT wrong answers

go to the tires manufactures site.

they have a load/psi chart.
find the load of your car and the psi for that load.

>2,000lb car with 195/55/15 - 28psi
>3,000lb car with 195/55/15 - 34psi
it will look something like that.

the rating on your door placard is for the stock tire only.

>he doesn't own a torque wrench
kek

But they do you dumbass, what do you think all that rubber is on the side of roads?

>the rating on your door placard is for the stock tire only.
Yes and? Most people run stock sizes.

Yes they are.

Tire pressure isn't cut and dried. Lower tire pressure improves handling and traction (up to a point). Higher pressure improves fuel economy and tire longevity (up to a point).

The pressure values on the door? They're what the manufacturer thinks is the best *compromise* between fuel economy, handling and tire wear.

BUT IT'S NOT THE ONE TRUE NUMBER. It's just a recommendation, something they recommend not knowing anything else about where you are and what you need to do.

I would not inflate to max tire pressure, unless you know what you're doing. If you inflate to max pressure when the tires are cold, you will go above that as the tires warm up. Probably won't pop the tires but they won't be happy about it either. And the handling and traction characteristics designed into the suspension (that assumes the tires have the recommended pressure) won't be all the great either. If it's raining or there's snow on the ground, it could very well lead to an accident.

I've heard some luxury sports cars (like Acuras) really do assume you have a certain brand tire on them with the recommended tire pressure and if you deviate too much from that, it will adversely affect the handling in significant ways.

If it's some econobox, eh, just get whatever's cheapest though. And inflate them to whatever's on the door, unless you're driving on sand or snow. And even then I wouldn't let too much air out, a few psi.

Jesus fucking christ, YOU'RE the reason.

People like you! YOU'RE the ones who bring your vehicles in for service and the fucking tire pressure is at 80 FUCKING PSI WITH THE FUCKING CENTER TREAD BALD.

NO!
Inflate your tires to what your vehicle says they should be at!

God fucking damnit... you people irritate the fuck out of me.

Stop buying shit gauges then.

>not overfilling to at least 80psi
enjoy your poor gas mileage and numb road feel loser

maximum pressure at maximum load - not the max pressure the tire will hold, but the maximum they should be inflated to when fully loaded

Do you routinely buy the cheapest plastic shit you find?

This may be the source of your problems.

Go ride a fucking bicycle.

>I've literally never heard of acceptable variance

I do what the door placard says as a baseline, then add 1-2 psi to the front, sometimes as much as 5 in the winter.
This gives positive handling characteristics and more responsiveness in a FWD car.

I know what variance is, I'm a fucking machinist. But if your gauge is off by more than a single PSI you need to buy a better fucking gauge, plain and simple. They're not even that much for a good one.

all wheels should be torqued to proper specs. it has very little to do with keeping the wheel on for racing. it has to do with properly keeping the hub, brake rotor and wheel from warping or damaging lug threads from overtightnening

if you can't tighten them evenly by hand, you have no business touching a torque wrench either

tightening them in the correct order is way more important than using a torque wrench

It's +/-3 on even the expensive gauges.

the regular stick poping out the side ones are. Digital ftw.

>I'm a fucking retard, please shove cock down my throat
No it's not.

superstreetbike.com/how-to/all-tire-pressure-gauges-are-accurate-mythbusters

Not if you actually buy a good one.

Don't do this. This user is an autist. One of my cars has tyres with 75psi max, this would cause fucked tyre wear, fucked traction, and your back to be destroyed. They are actually run at 40psi.

The max is for when the tyres are also supporting the max weight they are rated to.

I put slightly bigger all terrain tires on my truck that have a higher max pressure(50) than the factory tires max(40?)

I crank the pressure up to max when loaded but holy shit it rides like shit that way. 30 psi normally loaded. Bigger tires require less pressure, in general. If you're running 37's on your lifted truck you can get by with 20-25 psi for that cushy ride.

I guess snap on doesn't make good tools anymore then.

pump the cunts up to 50psi for maximum skids

its the opposite. bigger tires need more pressure with the same load. that's why the max pressure is higher.

it doesnt matter anyway though the gold standard tire pressure for standard loads is 35.

what the tire says and then 5-10psi more

IF all 4 are the same brand/type and specifically for that rim size

Sorry guys op here, had to fix some computer problems. I definitely should have added it's an older silverado but anyway, I'm off to fill the tires up after I'm off work. Thanks for the advice and the laughs like usual.

>adding more tire pressure in winter

You want traction in winter, not racekar responseivness.

dont use one thats off ya dingus

My door card says to put 32psi in but when I do it looks like all my tyres are flat.

What the fucking manual says, not the 'maximum' listed on the tire.

>tires
>not tyres

>TPMS
>fuck your computers m8
>having more then just ABS on your car
>top kek

>Should I go by what the tire says or what the vehicle says? I've always thought it was the door but my dad is saying the tire. Tell me im right Veeky Forums

If your driving normally just go by what the tyre says you don't need to be super picky. The doors recommendation is only for standard tyres that came from factory and no you do not need to worry about having standard tyres or or any other nonsense it's ok you will survive the car will not magically explode into a fireball you will be ok.

>Tire pressure placard says 28PSI
>Sidewall says 34PSI
>Shitbox has manual steering
>Inflate to 34PSI
>Manual steering actually isn't bad
6 months later
>Damn, it's getting kinda hard to steer
>Check tires, they're at 25PSI
>Reinflate to 34
>MFW it's like having power steering again

And that's how I learned to go by the sidewall, and to watch that tire pressure like a hawk