FWD supposedly provides better traction

>FWD supposedly provides better traction
Someone explain where this deeply rooted idiocy stems from.
>car's front end lifts up during acceleration, meaning less traction at the front wheels but more at the rear

Even if you say
>the RWD has no weight in the rear
It's cheap and easy to throw in some sandbags for trunk weight for winter conditions, and they can double as traction assistance if you get stuck too.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9qdFB_TGc9E
youtu.be/STaximkaQxo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

FF is for CUKS!
youtube.com/watch?v=9qdFB_TGc9E

And the opposite happens under braking. The front end dives, providing more traction for the front wheels.

And if you're about to enter a corner, what are you more likely to be doing?

If you are gentle on the acceleration FWD will put power down, if you floor it from a stop you're just going to get wheelspin and wheelhop. Talking winter driving of course, not FWD drag cars.

FWD is definitely better than RWD for winter driving.

I just use my natural inertia to move through the corner

>riding your breaks into a turn
Lrn2drive

Also
>RWD car engine is in the front
>FWD engine is in the front
>implying there's a noticeable difference for braking

snow and ice literally aren't a factor, now what

Eh, it's better if you don't live in a place with a lot of hills. Try accelerating up a slick hill in FF, weight shifts to the rear and things go to hell quick. Not saying FR is infinitely better, honestly AWD/4WD beats them both out in hilly icy areas.

shit driver detected

>he thinks his shitbox Honda is fast
lmao

You need momentum to go up hills in winter. Both FWD and RWD will get you nowhere on a hill from a dead stop.

On a slick surface, there is more traction found in pulling than in pushing.

on low traction surfaces, weight transfer doesn't happen when you're simply trying to get moving

weight over drive wheels helps you get moving in this case

say your car weighs 3000 lbs,
most cars have approximately 60/40 weight distribution front to rear,
that's 1800 lbs over the front axle, 1200 over the rear axle.
So in snow or dirt, where the car isn't accelerating that fast, the front axle has more pressure over it = more traction.

Now, if you're talking about sporty driving, rwd is superior. The cars inertia results in weight transfer from the front axle to the rear axle, so basically the faster the car is going to accelerate, the more it makes sense for rwd.

Of course, the elephant in the room is that MR layout is superior, but I wouldn't want to fluster the lead-tipped-arrow FR apologists ITT.

>RWD is superior
Fuck off Corey

and there's the added stability which is called upon more in low grip situations

Air cooled flat-6 RR is master race layout desu
Elegant engineering

Hi Corey.

That doesn't make sense. Why can't the RWD shitposters just stop?

>exit corner ass first

I see no problem here.

It's 1980s marketing.

FF cars are cheaper and faster to produce. Chrysler's comeback was the K-car and its derivatives (including the Caravan). The government had just bailed out Chrysler, so they wanted to make sure the marketing succeeded.

So everyone was told that FF is better because all the engine weight is over the drive wheels for better traction, making them safer cars. It was in advertising, in schools, anywhere they could get the message out.

And it worked. People believed them.

why is Chrysler such shit

why is FF such shit

I HATE FF SO MUCH

> defending this hard

>confirmed for never driven a 2wd truck in snow

How much traction do you think this god masheen rwd will have? It's the exact same issue with cars, just less extreme. Slow acceleration depends on static weight distribution. Weight transfer to the rear axle doesn't happen until you are doing dragstrip launches m80.

SNOW
AND
ICE
ARENT
A
THING

>rain
>bit of sand on the road
>gravel driveway

Literally any situation that isn't a WOT launch on a sticky dragstrip, fwd is better

OP asked where the idea of FF giving better traction came from. I explained it.

Pic related to your comment - the 2WD pickup I drove winter of 2014/15.

WE ARE DISCUSSING PERFORMANCE DRIVING
WHY ARE YOU BRINGING UP SHIT THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT? NOBODY IS DEBATING FF USE AS A SHITBOX ECONOBOX

>weight transfer doesn't happen
You watch and feel it happen every time you start from stop. Fuck off busrider.

well actually we aren't
OP asked a question about why FF has more traction,
question got answered and then you imposed various special snowflake conditions in capslock,
rwd is literally worse for most people:
>worse traction under normal use
>worse interior room
>worse fuel economy
>more likely to kill a shit driver (most drivers)
It's not a better platform, it's a stupid novelty entertainment feature to help manchildren feel like patrician drivers. If you're actually interested in driving pleasure, get a motorbike. Anything with 4 wheels is going to be a boring and expensive compromise.

Holly
Fucking
Shit
Is this what summer feels lime on Veeky Forums?
Or are millennials so soft that the only thing they understand about traction is the mall parking lot??
Seriously. Moto is dead if op is any inclination of what the future has in store...

>MUH WEIGHT OVER DRIVE WHEELS
>what is RR
FR cuckolds confirmed cucks

I've driven a 1985 300zx, a 2002 Buick Century, and a Subaru wagon through the winters here which get a bit rough. Subaru is fastly superior, but if I keep my head on straight I don't have any problems with either of my 2wd cars. They were on all seasons too. No problem.

Just a friendly reminder that FWD is the true master race and anyone that thinks RWD is better is clearly a 10 year old kid and has never had any real experience behind the wheel of a car.

Lurk moar newfag

Name 1 (one) Fwd Lamborghini, Ferrari, or McLaren

>inb4 muh 15k msrp piece of dick is better then a Ferrari.

>15k msrp piece of dick
>full 5 seconds quicker round the ring than an f430

pic related is a fwd lamborghini buddy

that's why FR is for cucks.

if you want RWD might as well just go all the way and get MR.

RWD isn't always FR. MR/RR has no traction issues.

>mfw you live in Florida
>mfw even during the 'winter' months, it's warm enough to wear a t-shirt in the afternoon
>mfw I'm 21 years old and have never seen snow

Snow and/or ice is literally not a thing, for me.

You're just really dumb op, it's ok we'll talk you through it.

The front doesn't "lift up" during acceleration. It lifts for a fraction of a second then the car levels out. It doesn't stay up in the air providing the rear wheels with all that mass the entire time you accelerate.

Also during bad conditions such as snow or rain, the rear end of a vehicle can break loose. If in a rwd car you lose your drive wheels, with fwd your drive wheels are still in control.

Lastly adding weight via sand bags and other nigger rigging nonsense, you're just making the vehicle more pigfat and ruining all driving characteristics of the vehicle.

>tl;dr you're fucking retarded

>He doesn't trail brake with his left foot

git gud rwdcucks, no matter how much traction you have it won't save you from your shitty driving.

The left foot is the clutch foot tho

>The front doesn't "lift up" during acceleration. It lifts for a fraction of a second then the car levels out. It doesn't stay up in the air providing the rear wheels with all that mass the entire time you accelerate.

I would think the same thing if I drove an RX-8, too.

I have ankle problems from a bad surgery, so on any road trip longer than 10 minutes I drive with my left foot. Your argument is moot.

>ignores understeer

You gotta learn how to multitask man.
The brake is for more than just slowing down.

youtu.be/STaximkaQxo

FWD cucks can't even compete

FWD stands for front wheel drive champ, not four wheel drive, so that video is completely irrelevant. Also, the aim of that video is to show the difference between summer and winter tyres, not drivetrain. Your post is next level shitposting bud.

summer tires on anything won't work well in snow wat the fuck kek

Thanks friend :^^^^^)

You could just not give a shit about fwd or rwd.

Modern vehicles have so many driver aids it doesn't matter much what layout your vehicle has. And there's more to a car than drivetrain.

Take some rwd car, like the Miata for example. A modern fwd car will shit all over a Miata not only in acceleration but around a track as well.

Old rwd vehicles have many problems that are not an issue with modern fwd cars. Again look at the Miata, with its floaty soft suspension and lack of power you're slow no matter how you look at it. Aim and snow forget it, any modern fwd car will shit all over you.

a sporty modern fwd car maybe, and not after you turbocharge the miata

>torque steering
No thanks famalamadingdongfoodoo

But now you've modded a Miata.

So now I'll take the rear and bell housing from a crv and my civic Si is awd.

>game over

You can't bring mods into this, you can mod any vehicle.

San Diego here.
What does the month of the year have to do with cars?

>A modern fwd car will shit all over a Miata

dank meme, brah

>not using the grip on the front wheels to enter the corner faster
>not having good rear tires (AND RWD) to cope with being unloaded
>not balancing understeer with oversteer

learn to drive

the engine in the 1.6 miata is designed to be turbocharged tho
not really a good comparison

Is it really? What kind of upgrade does the turbo give it?

>implying anything but MR
>implying 4 wheels

Posting FWD godmobile