Impressing in a new job - Trying too hard?

Veeky Forums, I need your advise.
I was recently hired as a janitor at a Hospital in my town.

In my interview I spoke at length about how much I enjoy the hospital environment so since being hired, I have attemped to demonstrate this. However, I am worried I am overdoing it and making myself into a pariah of the workplace.

Here are some of the things I have been doing

>Spending my breaks picking up pieces of medical equipment and staring at them for a few minutes so people can see I am interested in the environment
>Talking to sick patients in the waiting areas, often bantering lightly about how I don't have enough mops to sel as wigs for the newly bald patients etc
>Standing next to doctors and pretending to make notes when they discuss patient care
>replacing my standard janitorial bucket with a bucket with the words 'don't vomit in me sick people!' as a joke
>eating lunch in the waiting room and pretending to read medical brochures

I am worried, however because I have overheard co-workers discussing how odd I am. I want to fit in here. How do I do it?

Treat it like the dead end job it is. There is literally no where to go from there and raises will be non existent as anyone can and will do it for minimum wage. Don't overthink it, just keep you're head down and do your job. Janitors are meant to be seen, not heard.

are you autistic? This is literally worst job tier.. do you actually enjoy doing these things? If so, keep it up.. if not, just do the job.. dont overdo it

Brain damage. You sure you're not actually a patient?

Is this from a sitcom? If not, it's incredibly autistic.

I actually work in a clinic. I am also depressed.

>Be me. Suffer through another day of high dollar sadness, dressed in expensive looking clothes that are showing subtle signs of wear. Occasionally remark to your co-workers that your job reminds you of the DMV. Wear your lab coat or a sweater to cover the fraying hems on your dress shirts and the breaking belt loops on your slacks. Occasionally wonder if anyone else notices, and then slowly realize nobody cares about you.
>Remain standing or walking for 8 hours, potentially taking an hour unpaid lunch in the middle of your nine hour workday. Get lectured by your boss for just leaving at the end of your ten hour shift. End up spending eleven hours at work by the time you have finished your paperwork. You do not get to decide when to go to lunch. You do not get to skip your lunch break if you would like to go home early. You are expected to take calls and check your email during your unpaid lunch.
>Exhausted at the end of your shift, go to the locker room and change into your outside clothes. Your work clothes are likely covered with disease. Put your work clothes into a bag and take them home with you to wash, because your employer will not provide laundry services to you.
>Drive/bike home and collapse from exhaustion on your couch, finally safe from the hospital monster, but wait! You are important enough to be on call! You cannot truly rest, for at any moment you can be called in to deal with another potentially life threatening issue, which is most likely idiotically simple to take care of.
>Cry yourself to sleep on your mattress stuffed with money.

Just another day in the life. They all started blending together after awhile.

what happened to your coffee and recycling business, hyperbole user?

What do you do? Sounds miserable.

Stop being fucking weird. Be friendly but you're overdoing it by a magnitude of about 8,000.

Source: Management at a hospital.

Stop doing points 1,3, and 5. They make you look autistic. Just do your job well and don't annoy people.

if you actually are interested in medicine then you should become an EMT, LPN, or OR tech. All of those have pretty short training classes, especially EMT.

Just calm down a bit, you will act more natural

You're over thinking it. Just do your job and while there make friends in the engineering dept. Sooner or later they will have an opening. Once they do apply (you should get word that there's an opening ahead of time) and if the guys in engineering think you're ok you're in. Once there you are set for life. You'll never be a millionaire working in engineering but you'll never worry about the future either (unless they close the hospital but that shouldn't happen if you're anywhere decent).

>satire thread gets 99 serious replies

I'm a pharmacist.

Pretending to take notes? I hope this is a joke. Those doctors are shitting themselves laughing at you if not.

There's no one cooler than the uneducated millenial jokester. Patch Adams without medical knowledge is less doctor and even more fun. Your levity is a breath of fresh air newfriend.

>mfw my grandfather started off as a hospital janitor and eventually climbed to a surgeon position
You can do it to OP

>I was recently hired as a janitor
Do u do it for free

It depends on where he lives desu. Here a hospital janitor position is a decent government job. Same with public schools/universities and any government building really, those guys make over 50k with a government benefits package. It's actually a pretty good deal for someone who isn't that or doesn't have any ambition or whatever.

^isn't that smart

if you're gonna be a janitor bro, keep working hard, and apply @ a uni. the pay and benefits are very good and you can get a free education.

you can end up making $20+ an hour and fucking college girls all day long, and learning about cool shit in your free time.

As a naive first year student I felt bad for the janitors and maintenance guys at my university, until I realized that they were making more money than the majority of my fellow students would ever make with their humanities and pure science degrees.

Oh yeah, the girls at my college were totally all over the janitors and groundskeepers...

Whether or not you keep on hamming up this love of the healthcare setting, see if you can use your workplace benefits.

Most hospitals have a retirement plan or pension fund for full time wagies, and there is usually a tuition repayment plan for a few thousand dollars a year.

If you take 1-2 classes at a community college per semester, you could be promoted to manage sanitation after a couple of years, without paying a dime.

You should also be able to put away a decent chunk of change since most janitorial jobs provide you with clothing and all necessary tools for the work.

Make use of hospital wifi and library services as well, you might not need to own a personal pc if you can get by with a tablet and free use of the computer labs. Just get out of the way if a doctor needs to look something up.

I know an MD that worked his way through college and med school as a janitor. You've got potential.

Don't wear yourself out for the job. Remember to work on yourself more

Is this scrubs?

>Spending my breaks picking up pieces of medical equipment and staring at them for a few minutes so people can see I am interested in the environment

you're only interested in how you appear to the other people. i'm sure people can tell

this is maybe the one thread where just b yourself applies.

>>Standing next to doctors and pretending to make notes when they discuss patient care

I really want to believe you work at the hospital from Scrubs. I want to believe goofy workplaces like this exist in real life.

>Iwanttobelieve