$5000 road-trip car

Sup Veeky Forums, eurofag here
I'm currently preparing a 5000km (3000 miles) road trip with 2 friends so I'm planning to buy a used car.
I've got a $5000 budget and I'm looking for a reliable and somewhat fuel-efficient car that's also reasonably comfortable to drive for long distances.
If any of you have suggestions or past experiences, that'd be amazing.
Thanks in advance
pic related : what I currently have my eyes on

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_VM_Motori_engines#425_OHV)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

5 Twingos

the passat isn't very comfortable honestly
a 5 series bmw/audi a6/mercedes E class would be more comfortable
how about a bmw 730d e38?

The E38 looks great but a little too thirsty. I really like the audi a6 as well as the 5 series (was thinking about an E39), but I can't find a motor that will do less than 8L/100km.
I will still consider them though, thanks for the ideas

>e38
>lasting 3000 miles

ain't gonna happen

try to get a 1.9tdi sharan/alhambra/galaxy

He's not hauling an entire family around.

they still are spacious and cheap

Yeah I thought about getting an MPV, but I'd like to keep the car after the trip, and frankly I don't see myself driving one (plus we'll only be 3 on the trip so no need for huge amounts of space). Thanks for the suggestions though

A smaller car would get better fuel economy, but the 1.9 TDI engine is a good suggestion. Reliable and economical, though not the most refined.

what about volvo v40´s?

an E39 525d or 530d (years 2000 and above) is decently economical, around 5.5l/100km highways and ~8l/100km city

W124TD

Thats a car for life, so yes, buy that one. 1.9 - 2.5 diesel.

jezus fuck just rent

oh and maybe for the price you can find a W211 E class with the 2.2 diesel, it's economical and very comfortable
I own a 2004 W211 e270 wagon

NO, STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM 2.5TDI
same goes for audis
honestly, do fucking not.
Terribly designed engines, oil starvation and guaranteed problems with camshaft

dont get the 2,5 tdi, it is realy a shit engine in every regard

OP here,
I also find the engine to be a good one, but the problem is what's around it. I really don't like MPVs and even though it would be great for a trip, i would hate to have one as a daily driver

Mhh, the V40 actually looks really good, I could get one for about 4k€ with

You can get the 1.9 TDI in pretty much every VW from the Golf up.

if you want a 525d, don't get the old 143hp one made until ~1999
the newer commonrail 2.5 are very reliable
good cars overall, reliable, i'd suggest one with a manual trans as the old steptronics tend to go bad

D I E S E L
I
E
S
E
L

P U N T O
U
N
T
O

It seems I can't find one for a good price here unfortunately

and is it really good? Do you have any expericence with it?

I see, but I'm not sure I can get one for my budget. I'll keep an eye out for this model. Also I'd prefer to get a manual anyway, so no worries about the gearbox. Anyway thanks a lot!

Nice meme

The 1,9 tdi and the Volvo both are generally considered to be reliable

Toyota Avensis II
Honda Accord VII

5000€ will get you a diesel from 2005-2006.

Friend has 2.5 tdi passat, he lives in anticipation of his camshaft dying in next couple thousand miles. Also had some problem with rear brakes, kinda complicated to do yourself. But 1.9tdi will last you a lifetime.

are you seriously planning on doing 3000 miles in your newly acquired used car ? thats kinda dumb

Alright, well that's added to the list, thanks a lot!

That's pretty good, I've already considered the Accord, and the toyota looks good as well, both fuel-efficient and reliable. Do you have any experiences with either?

Good, thanks!

Don't worry, I'll bring it to a friend's garage for a complete revision before, and if the worst should happen my insurance covers mechanical failures, even abroad

one of these OP

My brother actually has one (well a more recent one). It may alright for a daily driver but I'll never take one of them on a long journey for sure

>That's pretty good, I've already considered the Accord, and the toyota looks good as well, both fuel-efficient and reliable. Do you have any experiences with either?
Not really, but I've considered getting one of them myself. They are fuel efficient, quite big and pretty popular everywhere in Europe, so getting them fixed, in case something bad happens, shouldn't be a problem.

Good point, definitely added to the list, thanks!

Style and comfort.

As much as I love these land boats, they're pretty much impossible to find for a reasonable price in Europe, and it's a fuel-consuming nightmare, but thanks anyway, it's a very cool car

D A C I A S A N D E R O

>comfy
>fuel efficient
>reliable
>can haul its ass because torks
I don't see the meme, tbqhwyf.

its not big enough mate

Sorry, I'm just bad at detecting sarcasm
But I've driven a rental punto (2010) for a week and the interior felt super cheap and it had a really sloppy handling. Plus it's a bit small for my taste, especially for a long journey
Thanks for the suggestion though

>the interior felt super cheap
It's pretty reasonable for a car of that segment. Some plastics are a bit hard, but they're well put together. Not sure if you drove the Grande Punto or the Evo one.

>and it had a really sloppy handling
Only the Fiesta handles better. It has almost 0 body roll depending on the wheel size.

>recommending an econobx for a 5000km road trip
what the fuck is wrong with you

Yeah, I'm not saying it's a bad car, but it just doesn't suit me at all you know?
I'm sure you like it for good reasons but I couldn't see myself driving one, especially for long distances

Here's a wild suggestion: a diesel Alfa 156.

Vectra c wagon 1.9cdti, cheap to maintain, big and comfy

are you sure that vectra and cheap to maintain fits toghether?

fit*

opels are the least reliable german cars and the interiors are shit... i'd steer clear
OP what's your budget exactly? 5000 euros or 5000$ (USD)? And in what country are you located

Well, mine is going strong after 260kkm, haven't had any problems yet. If you buy one that wasn't maintaned well it can cost huge amount of money to get it running properly, it got few costly parts, but bought from safe source is very cheap to run. Also it's safe in crashes, i can confirm it personally. + it doesn't rust like previous gens

Haha, I actually really like alphas (My dad used to let me drive his 147 GTA), and the 156 looks quite alright fuel-consumption wise. I'll definitely consider it if it's reliable enough, thanks!

Ehh, Reliability-wise, i really wouldn't go for an Opel tbqh. I'm really not a fan of the brand, but thanks for the idea

Yeah the budget is about €5000

Have you been involved in a crash with your Opel?

Pretty much anything with 6 cylinders or more would be a good road trip car. You can get a 4 cyl. if you don't mind the ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ for many hours.

For 5000€ get an E39 530 diesel manual 2001-2003 no doubt

Poland here, for 5000$ you can get facelifted model. Interior isn't old mercedes tier durability but it's fine by me. Also car itself is durable because it got fiat 1.9 diesel not these bad opel ones. Also with lifting suspension was fixed and is more durable

Oh wait never mind Yurop has that displacement tax right?

Lol get cucked Yuropoors

Go rear ended by renault megane. Rear bumper, boot, lights broken, floor in boot got folded, most important nobody got hurt. Still it drove home by itself, not like renault that started burning. All fixed from insurance in dealership, can't even tell it was crashed now by it's looks.

You know, I care more about fuel economy than performance with a long trip in mind

Yup, it's at the top of my list with the V40

Well thank you for this valuable contribution to this thread in the form of such a mature opinion

Damn, I see.
Hope you won't have trouble reselling it though. If the front was damaged it would be another story

By the way do you mind me asking which mégane generation it was that rear-ended you?

D I E S E L

C

H

E

R

O

K

E

E

It's more about comfort, not performance (not sure what your definition of performance is though). A 6 cylinder is more comfortable on long trips than a 4 because you're typically turning less RPMs with less vibrations to go along with it.

Interesting choice actually, what's the fuel consumption on one that you could get for $5k? Also how reliable is it?

Is it really that noticeable? I mean if the car has been well soundproofed it shouldn't make such a big difference, right?

Interesting, here in Murca we only got a 2.5(?) diesel and it was a miserable sack of shit. Did the euros get anything better?

They're extremely cheap to buy, they're in the 1500-3000 area for a decent one. Depending on country, the registration tax can be quite overwhelming (I paid 2k euros for the jeep and another 2k to register it).

Fuel consumption is pretty bad. I average 12l/100km city, I'm guessing it's in the 9 area for highway.

The diesels in these thing are made by VM Motori, an Italian boat engine manufacturer. So it's slow as shit and according to forums quite unreliable. Mine hasn't skipped a beat in the year I've been driving it and it has 200.000 kms on the clock.

I love it though, fantastic for trips.

nah you dont realy notice that much between a 4 and a 6 cylinder

I can definitely feel the difference in driving my mom's Nissan compared to my VR6, especially at higher speeds. I would imagine that you'd get used to whatever car you have though.

Nope, 2.5 4 banger. If I could afford the 1000 euro/year pollution tax I'd get the 4.0

Such is life in the european caliphate.

I feel for you Eurobr/o/... 95 4.0 here

Volvo V70, 100%.

You won't regret it.

It will be far below 5000€ and will last you for ages afterwards.

Really you can get a 1500€ 740 shitbox from the 80s and you'll be OK, the parts that CAN break (electronics/control arm) have, and have been replaced, and you won't have to worry about engine breakdowns in your lifetime.

Megane gen 3 phase 3 from what i remember

How is the maintenance of those things? I actually love the way they look and could live with that kind of mileage, but I fear there are absolutely no replacement parts avaiable for them.

That's fucking cool nigga, '96 here.

They're pretty easy to work on and many parts are still available thanks to scrapyards and the fact that it's still being produced in China. Another thing to consider is the fact that the 2.5 VM Motori diesel engine has been used in plenty of cars. (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_VM_Motori_engines#425_OHV)

I'd look for a '97 if I were you for the better interior and 15% more efficient engine.

but be prepared, they are slow as balls

This man speaks the truth. They're comparable to buses steering wise and they have heavy clutches if you get a manual. I do not recommend them for daily driving unless you are an absolute madman like me. :^)

what do you think about the vw t4 busses? with the 2,5l tdi and ac the multivan/caravelle are great for roadtrips

Volvo v70 or XC series

That's all you will ever need.

>xc series
jesus the 2003-2006 XC90 is one of the least reliable euopean cars I can think of

i think hes talking about the first gen, the ones that were just like the v70

2.5 TDi owner here

Can confirm it's shit. Fuel pump took a shit and cost £1500 and a month to fix. Stay away unless you have unlimited money.

Sounds good and is fuel efficient at 100mph+ tho.

Get a w124 :D those things are unkillable.
Where are you from user?

Really everyone?

We all know there is only one true winner. Someone already recommended the 1.3 JTD Punto, which is great value for money and amazing economy. Second best option? The 1.9 JTD Fiat Multipla! Less then 1000 euros! Huge space! Comfy! People love it!

I am VERY serious about this recommendation. Drives lovely because of the wide track.

Ah, the car that sacrifices literally everything in the name of practicality.

Prius

desu an early gen prius
you guys have toyota hiluxes instead of tacomas right? look into that because tacomas are bulletproof and pretty comfy so i would hope a hilux would be the same

how do you expect people to fit properly?

Mate, I don't know if it's because I live in a big country, but 5000km really isn't a long trip.

Pretty much any car will do it. Buy any modern wagon and you'll have enough room and comfort.

I'm just gonna throw out a suggestion for a B4 Passat. My dad has one, the thing has tons of room inside and it's comfy enough.
The 2.0 is slow, but damn near indestructible. You can find these for next to nothing, and because they're simpler than the B5 in the OP, they're also more reliable.

>comfortable
Renault Avantime

I'm looking at an ad for a 2003 Passat with 169,000 KM on it. The price is really nice and it appears to be in impeccable condition with a roadworthy certificate and registration. Is this something (based on your experience) that I should look into and seriously consider? Not OP, just some derelict looking for a cheap used daily drive.

That's a B5, where the questionable design choices start. I think they were available with the 1.8T though, which is one of the engines VAG did pretty much right.

A6 isnt comfortable either. Stiff suspension, stiff seats.

peugeut 308 estate, you can move one backseat to the third row(trunk) for extra legspace + you get the glass roof.

>Seems like a rare sighting here in France, any reason why you would recommend that?
Its big, reliable and rides soft.

The rear seats fold down completely flat so it has enough room for three people to skeep in.
Its the most reliable car in the world.
The diesel engines get well over 30mpg.
Its a great cruiser too. You can drive it all day without getting tired, and it can handle dirt tracks and light off roading surprisingly well.

The sedan version or an older w123 is fine too.

The Peugeot 504 Break would be the second best choice, but they seem rare nowadays.

Its just as reliable and comfortable, but has a slower cruising speed.

If you're cruising at high speed for extended periods then get something that is designed for it.
At 200km/h something like a 911 will be more economical than a Passat.

'99 Passat 1.9TDI owner here.
It has been very reliable since my dad bought it 15 years ago.
Has never had any real problem, is comfortable to ride and has a great fuel economy.
Also, the 90HP 1.9 TDI engine is almost indestructible.
The 100+ HP 1.9 TDI engines in these models are more expensive to maintain, as you will have to replace the Pumpe Düse system at around 170-200k km.

frenchfag here.

I used to have the op car as my first one, 1.9 tdi 130 ch... wery comfy, I took it to go to amsterdam once, 12 h trip without really stopping, 6l/100 without paying much attention... it's honestly a good choice

Where are you from ?

he said reliable

also, i drive a gas volvo 740 now, feed it with 100% ethanol and it rides fine for less than the price of a diesel

>the rwd hoon is worth it