Is this a good first car?

Is this a good first car?

Of course Id love a GT and its better etc etc but being only 18 I can't afford the insurance and gas let alone the increased payments (cheapest GT at my local dealer is 35k while the cheapest ecoboosts are about 27k)

Other urls found in this thread:

motortrend.com/news/ecoboost-mustangs-getting-slower/
mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56493
jalopnik.com/the-ford-mustang-ecoboost-is-getting-slower-report-1781842682
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's plenty of power, I would say to much for you but yea. If you can get one.
Get on truecar and reprice it.

Get an used WRX or WRX STi and learn what is speed.

there are no affordable STIs in my area, ive looked. and I don't want a plain WRX

Those get worse milage than the v6 mustang.

don't get me wrong WRXs are nice but I just don't think its for me

E C O B O O S T
C
O
B
O
O
S
T

Great car and great mods available (350-390rwhp and 400wtq is very possible with FBOs and stock turbo on 93 (400+ e30). STi, Evo and GTI / R are great as well but its tough getting a decent deal on them vs a ford. I wouldn't bother with the standard WRX.

Personally, I'd get a 13 or 14 GT over the EcoBoost if you have to have a Mustang.

Maybe a Boss 302 if I was really motivated.

Otherwise I'd go for an ST.

To be clear im asking about the ecoboost. Not getting a v6

First off, go buy an 80's or 90's sporty shitbox like everybody else on here. Plenty of options for cheap power if that's what you want.

Secondly if you can't afford to buy/insure the Mustang GT you want, then just save yourself the buyers remorse from settling with the Ecoboost and look at something else.

Theres been reliability issues poping up with the ecoboost engine, and some shifty shit too like
motortrend.com/news/ecoboost-mustangs-getting-slower/
And I mean you're buying a 4 banger pony car, and you're having engine nosies simulated through the speakers.

Also if its your first car and you're 18, dont get something new/new-ish and expensive.
Get a foxbody or an sn95 if you're keen on mustangs, or any other sub 15k used car. Its your first, youre going to do retarded things, youre going to hoon, might as well do it in something cheap that you can sell after youve gained some good experience for something nicer (like saving up for a new GT in a couple of years).

Weird as this sounds, my parents know nothing about cars and arent letting me get an old used one because they have concerns about reliability.

It's your money user just do it.

>Is this a good first car?

Maybe if you live in a trailer park and enjoy living from paycheck to paycheck.

Don't listen to this. They used 87 in the mustang. Almost every car company is running engine noise into the cabin now wtf is your point? You gonna say don't get a BMW or a Mercedes next also?

He's getting a new mustang obviously OPs parents aren't dirt poor

Huh not op, but thanks for that. I was actually kinda interested in getting the turbo 4.
The v6 from 2011 was hitting lower 5's and I thought the turbo 4 would be faster.

Yeah but i have to live w them for the next 4 years id rather not piss them off

Idk ill think about it, thanks

I have no other expenses and could easily pay for it and save up money at the same time

Its faster than even the new v6s idk what youre talking about

Did you not read the motor trend article?
MT is claiming the new eco boosts are over 6 seconds 0-60.

Its fine in a luxury car made for comfort
In sports cars? Thats fucking disgusting, get the fuck outa here

Already been disproven you potato

No. Shut up and buy a civic. Buy a mustang gt when you have more money and actually know how to drive.

Link to a credible source?

Ecoboost mustangs after the first model year have different part numbers on certain performance parts and is consequently slower.

Also their have been multiple reports of ecoboosts grenading, and their reliability is questionable at the moment.

You're better off getting a refreshed 5.0 SN-97. The manual trans is a pile but it at least works for daily work.

On 87 octane in the middle of a tornado with winter tires maybe

>S197

my bad

gonna leave mine right here OP

Thats gorgeous user

>people unironically buying a 4 cylinder Mustang

Gt350 have grenaded along with their trans, 5.0s and their cylinder 8 problem have grenaded. MT82 have grenaded. We can find motors and trans from every company. Guess we shoulda stopped buying STis a long time ago

Unironically saying it like 4 cyl turbo mustangs haven't been a thing for years.
Enjoy your bus ride.

Some people on a fourm saying looks good to me isn't enough to discredit motortrend.

www.motortrend.com/news/comparison-2016-chevrolet-camaro-rs-vs-2016-ford-mustang-ecoboost/

Look at the 'recommended fuel' that they ran the tests with at the very bottom of the article.

No shit a performance car is going to be slower running regular fuel compared to running premium.

You will wreck it dumb fag

Recommended fuel and the fuel they put in it aren't necessarily the same thing. Also if it recommends 87 why would you put high octane in it? Either it makes it's rated hp with it's recommended fuel or it doesn't.

Wow the AT gets good results and the MT gets mixed results..... It must be the car and not driver. Or the fact that they used different octane

From the same article.

I have one, OP. Love it. Performance pack makes the car, do not get the ecoboost without it. Faster off the line, minimal mileage loss. In fact, I like it since the higher revs at highway speeds in 6th means I can pass people without downshifting usually. I keep an eye on the air ratio, but when you're at 2000 rpm at 65/70 it's plenty near the power band for light passing.

The suspension takes shitty road bumps really well, but it corners beautifully.

The GT is awesome, but I love being able to hoon and drive very aggressively while getting 23 around town and 30 or more on pure highway cruising. It has plenty of very usable power.

9000 miles later, I still love it. Got it for under 27, base, manuel, only options are performance pack and reverse sensors

Just because the car can run on regular gas doesn't mean you should run it when you're trying to make the most power.

I can say for sure the Mustang ECU measures the octane rating and retards timing to compensate if you're running regular gas.

The reccomended fuel for an ecoboost is 93. Its fucking direct injection you ape. Nobody in their right mind would fill it with regular fuel, and its rated for its horsepower on 93 as well

Are you fucking retarded? Do you even into turbos? Let alone N/A. Might as well compare the 5.0 and SS with 87 and 93 and say the difference shouldn't matter

>means I can pass people without downshifting usually.
This is one of the most retarded things I've ever heard.
see
and suck my dick

just read that it's your FIRST car. I'd not recommend it, then.

Stop looking at new for first. If you're financial problems are that bad.

One sec let me go get some 93 octane.

>living in shitty places
I live in jersey and almost every station has 93 hahahahahha

201 here cunt and where are you?

Jesus fuck I thought that every station had 93.

California where this was tested and the gas that is available to me would be 91. If it can't do it's sub 6 second zero to 60 because it's on 91 I'd rather have a v6 which can.

the concept of giving a little more gas in 6th to move past someone on the interstate is too foreign for you? do you need to drop it in 4th every time to show them who's boss? A lot of cars are geared so that giving it anything in 6th makes it gay, and the regular rear end in the ecoboost is one of those cars.

Im in monmouth

how do you americans afford cars like this as your first car? do you pay them off monthly? i'm always seeing you guys getting unobtainable (by brit standards) cars as your firsts

>do you need to drop it in 4th every time
Every time no, when it's time to actually push it yes.
I want less wear on the motor so randomly spinning it higher so that it's easier to pass is a foolish.

I guess you haven't heard of LSPI?

You should shift to pass man.

Of course monthly payments. Also a lot of people lease which makes payments really cheap. You can lease a base ecoboost for less than 300 a month.

On top of that, im 18. So although its my first car i dont have any other bills cuz i live at home while going to school so all my money can go to the car

>motortrend.com/news/ecoboost-mustangs-getting-slower/

I hear there were hot exhaust issues with the ecoboost, like a resonator getting cherry red hot that wasn't supposed to. You could fix it with an aftermarket exhaust system.

Ferd - really? This is how you're fixing it? Just detuning the engine in the ECU?

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

You should always downshift especially if you're driving a small twinscroll turbo like the ecoboost and the new wrx

Nah, no tuning changes have been made.

I actually mentioned watching the fuel-air ratio in my first post. when you're already at 2-2500 RPM it's not a big deal. I'm not flooring it, in any case

that's what I'm talking about certain 'Subarufans' have complained about this making it sound like you have to or you're going to die. the higher rear end in the performance pack helps by giving you an already higher rev at highway speeds

we have this insane desire to be in debt eternally

True, I guess if you roll with your AP plugged in all the time it's not the end of the world.

I'm honestly nervous using cruise control in 6th in my ST, but I'm usually closer to 3000rpm when cruising so it should be fine. :x

And how do you know this? Are you a Ferd engineer?

zzzzz

jalopnik.com/the-ford-mustang-ecoboost-is-getting-slower-report-1781842682

Ferd commented at the bottom.

there are far too many inconsistencies with their tests, regarding various models, transmissions, and temperatures.
If you're so concerned with benchracing, you need a new SS Camaro. Get the ecoboost if you want a fun, semi-economical coupe DD.

They recalled cars with the issue. The fix was heat shielding parts near the exhaust that were vulnerable to the excessive heat.

It's funny that MT rigged the test and then the Camaro still lost on the track 'due to a lack of summer tires'.

>and then they all agreed the Mustang was still better

>measures the octane rating
No engine can measure the octane rating of the fuel it is fed, only react to how the fuel it is given combusts.

Sure, I was trying to express that it can adjust itself based on the fuel you're running.

'measure the octane' wasn't quite the right phrasing however.

Hope I didn't come off as a dick, I know the stock Veeky Forums answer is "LOL U RETARD THAT'S NOT HOW CAR WORK"

I haven't driven the ecoboost but Ford did a good job on the GT. They've definitely improved from 2 generations ago.

One of my gripes is that you do notice the lack of quality in the interior trim. Not on the shifter, steering wheel, or center console (basically wherever you spend 99% of the time touching). But you can see the remaining plastic "mold" on the edges of the interior trim.

This may be different on the higher models (I got the base model GT), but for $30k out the door I can't really complain, it's a good car. Not sure about a first car at 18 - I had different priorities at that age and couldn't afford a new car at 18, but whatever.

I'd like to take it to a track and road course sometime and see how it performs there.

>not liking ecoboost

I would highly recommend going and driving the ecoboost and some of the competitors. I test drove a bunch and found that the frs was the best choice for me (handling in my opinion is superior in frs).
You should do the test drives, and then rent the two top car s u would look to own for a week.

Get a S197 gt op. I like mine.

once the autistic kids stop overpricing it, then it'll be a good buy.

Seems a good idea but even the 2010 ones are even above 22. Still expensive.

Honestly, get a v6 2011-2014 Mustang, better MPG and just as fast, specially if you get the ones with the performance package which has the upgraded suspension and 3.31 gears.
Plus, you can get them from anywhere between 10 to 15k.

That's not how it works man, a V8 can get away with that, your baby sized engine can get hurt doing that.

Funnily enough, there has been report of small HP gains from putting 93octane gas instead of 87, like 3 to 5hp.

They specifically say they used 93

I have one and I love it. Get the performance pack and it's even better.

my experience exactly.

>The class-leading power and output of the Ford Mustang 2.3-liter EcoBoost haven’t changed since we launched the new car in 2014. It’s the same powertrain, calibration and gearing. Different drivers in different cars can have different test results, especially when driving manual transmissions. We are investigating MotorTrend’s results.
That's a pretty sick burn. I really like that message.

Lol this kid trying to act like he knows how to drive.

No wonder you bought a 4 cylinder mustang.

>b-but my MPGs!

wrong. another faggot gets it wrong.
its not through the speakers like bmw.
its the engines real noise being piped in. they essentially made a funnel go straight from the engine to the firewall.
bmw actually has fake noises played througout.

Shut up and buy a Corolla

So as someone that is interested in buying an eco boost, I think I might prefer the bmw option as I assume it saves weight.

Buy a used Taurus SHO
>Ecoboost V6
>just as fast as the Mustang GT or Boss 302
>4 door sedan sleeper so cheap insurance
The only con is its automatic only and fairly heavy with the AWD system. There's an user here with one who can confirm they're faster than V8 Mustangs.

>faster
>but boring (auto, awd)
Meh

>you can takebthe tube out
>the bmw shit is hardwired in
you cant disable it in the settings

Can I take it out without voiding the warranty? Because were talking about cars that might still be in warranty.

Is it over 30mpg?

EPA ratings are 17 mpg city, 25 highway for the 2010 model

>18
>first car
>27k
Thanks Daddy.

An ecoboost mustang is going to still fuck your insurance because mustang.

Get a Fiesta ST.

30-35k car is easily doable if you have even a basic minwage job and still live with your parents
i mean that money really doesn't go anywhere

god damn this picture made me laugh so hard

>30-35k car is easily doable if you have even a basic minwage job
also btw youre dum
insurance and car payment alone would be half your paycheck and you wouldnt even get the loan in the first place.

if mommy and daddy paid for literally everything in your life including school, maybe, if they cosigned.

>27k car
>18 years old
If Mommy and Daddy are going to pay for the car and insurance (which they will since there's no way you can afford a car like that on your own when you're 18 years old), don't be a piece of shit and just get a Civic. You have then next 10 years to get your shit together, buy a fun car when you can pay for it yourself.