BMW Z4

I've found a few of these going anywhere from 6-11k.
I like roadsters and this thing looks promising. Any thoughts? How much do these things cost to maintain?

sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/ctd/5635415570.html

Step it up to the 3.0 engine. It's better in every way and has nicer bumpers and wheels.

Otherwise you may as well give it a try. It's a simple platform with not much that can go wrong, a bullet proof engine. It's light weight so brakes and things won't wear out quickly like on the bigger bmws. There's not much to the interior so there's not much to go wrong.

The only thing I'd worry about are tires. They're low profile and expensive.

>used BMW sports car

>not much that can go wrong

How is a BMW sports car so cheap though?

Are they that unreliable? Should I just get a Miata?

Because the cost of ownership is horrific on any BMW after about 3-5 years. People tend to lease these cars for the first few years, then sign a lease for the newest model. Anyone who actually buys one is a.) keeping it for 20 years and treating it like their baby, or b.) hooning the fuck out of it and leaving it for the next poor sucker to eat shit on.

Seriously, anyone [ANYONE] who tells you a used BMW is a good purchase is a fucking liar. You will get burned, and it will sting. Parts are more expensive than anything domestic and even a lot of imports, service is complicated and needlessly retarded (see: no dipstick to check oil), electrical issues out the asshole, etc.

Unless you're making decent money and have no qualms about spending a good portion on basic repairs (not fun "mods"), don't buy this car. Buy something like an S2000 if you want fun in a roadster, it's reliable and takes a beating like all Hondas. Parts won't rape your wallet either.

P.S. BMW Z's are for old ladies, jsyk

No you shouldn't just get a Miata. You should never just get a Miata unless you're openly homosexual. They are gay cuck cars with weak engines, and they're actually BORING to drive. Anyone who gets excited by the thought of driving a sub-2.0 car is a faggy cuck and would have just as much fun driving a Ford Fiesta or a Mitsubishi Mirage. If you're going to buy a Miata, buy a goddamn Mazda3. They're faster, handle better, seat more people, have a usable trunk, and you won't spend the next 15 years as a sexless virgin.

Thanks for the honest advice. I'm gping to go with a Miata or s2000 instead.

The Z4 is a nice car, but you also wouldn't be going wrong with an NC Miata either.

ugh, if you know how to work on cars and can source your own parts, $1500 or less a year in maintenance and repairs is the norm
however the first year expenses will always be more as you're making up for neglected maintenance by the previous owner

>$1500 a year is normal to BMW owners

oh my

They're not unreliable

There is next to nothing that can go wrong with Z4's besides the things that apply to all other bmw's. they don't have any Z4 specific issues.

The only major problems with these are the cooling system that applies to all bmw's, and the rear springs that also apply to the e46.

Personally i would get atleast a 3.0 manual, as they are much more entertaining to drive, the M54b25 is fast, but for around the same price you could also get a 3.0

and since you live in california, try and not get a black car, you'll melt.

>could also look at Z3 M roadsters for that kind of price, user they're a little more expensive to maintain but well worth it

Second this on the 3.0, much more car for the price

>itt muh diesel
>muh pointless lift that doesn't change ground clearance
>muh ecu flash to make truck spit coal and burn more fuel
>muh "fat gurls can't climb hurr"

Stay mad cuco. Your wife is at home banging Tyrone because she needs a man that doesn't get defensive over his sexual identification.

You may be right in regards to parts costs and maintenance, but you're missing a good part of bmw ownership, and that's the bond you make with your car, and the brand itself; which will make everything worth it.

Look at that guy in the /bmw/ general with the 750i, that pile of shit has something new going wrong every week, and he still loves the car.

If you get any other roadster, have fun hanging out with the shitty community that revolves around those cars, like teenagers in miatas, stancefags, and the pretentious honda boyracers.

In america the BMW community is great
in europe, not so much.

I've only spent about 800 in the past 2 years

Sorry but if you don't find this cool well you're a bit of a dunce.

And BMW upkeep isn't that much. It's the usual amount per year for any vehicle. Veeky Forums expects cars to require zero upkeep year after year and if a car needs a brake job per say they think the car is a failure.

There's nothing wrong with a z4 and there are no known issues with them. Yes there's a potential issue with the engine vanos but that is very rare. My fathers e46 has been very reliable and a good car.

Ps the z4 probably has less miles due to it being a roadster and that is a good thing.

>400 a year
>ONE AND A HALF FUCKING THOUSAND A YEAR

Holy moly bmw drivers must be retarded or something to let a car cost them so much.
I've been driving a 20 year old golf for some years now and if something breaks you can get literally every part of eBay for 10 bucks or so and easily install it by yourself so you're also teaching yourself how to work on cars.

You know, once you do those repairs they usually last for like 100,000 miles? And there will come a year when everything that is a wear part will be in good condition and will last another 10 years fine?

You guys are hilarious. Putting money into an older car is an OK thing. Especially if you want to get longer life out of it.

ok user

good for you

:)

i don't mind my maintenance costs are my car makes me happy, and its worth it.

The problem with you retards is you're all comparing it to your little 4 banger shitboxes.
I'd be curious to see what the difference in maintenance costs looks like between an Evo and an M3 for example.

I'd assume the evo would be more expensive to maintain

i've owned an audi S4 and a 330i, and jesus christ, the S4 was a nightmare, it was completely stock and with less than 60k miles and i couldn't drive more than 100 miles without having the car suffer from a major problem, and parts are just as expensive AND even simple fixes required a lot of fucking work because of the 4.2

the 330i always took me home, no matter what went wrong.