Embarrassing car related deaths

washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2016/06/19/star-trek-beyond-actor-anton-yelchin-dies-at-27/

>Not using the e-brake
>Running yourself over

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hSA8JamGTHI
youtu.be/9Ni4aGqHw0o
roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/news/a28121/nhtsa-investigates-jeep-dodge-chrysler-shifters/
autoweek.com/article/recalls/fca-recall-11-million-vehicles-confusing-shifter
youtube.com/watch?v=MF9Ms21g_-c
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

youtube.com/watch?v=hSA8JamGTHI

>tfw sulu didn't leave the parking brake on

No brakes in space

Anyone know what car it was?

I almost got run over by 911 Turbo when I was younger. I thought to myself I would have been happy had it killed me, but if I had been run over by a Lada or something I would've been angry

Yfw

youtu.be/9Ni4aGqHw0o

How does this happen

Drugs

Too bad, he seemed like a decent guy.

>Getting run over by an Excursion

Well shit, that'll do it

curse of the red shirt strikes again

>but if I had been run over by a Lada or something I would've been angry
No you wouldn't. You'd be dead.

was this a possible suicide related to Toyota? do they know if he was watching the 24h?

I mean physically, by what mechanism does one get run over by their own car?

It looks like he stopped on an incline to check his mailbox, left the car in neutral and didn't engage parking brake.

The car started rolling, then either he didn't notice or tried to stop it, and got pinned.
Either his lungs for crushed leading to an agonizing couple of minutes, or or may even have been an agonizing few hours trapped with his body slowly shutting down, with no one able to hear his calls for help.
Awful way to go.

>driving stick

wew

>autotragics can't be put in neutral
Guess you don't really do a lot of shifting riding the bus, huh?

I wonder if he was the user with the rock under his car.

>Not using the e-brake
>Running yourself over

The real problem is that he is wearing a RED SHIRT.

It was a Grand Cherokee with an automagic

Was it really? That makes it even more retarded, why the fuck didn't he put it in park

Manual drivers engage the parking brake by habit.

What a fucking idiot..

And why is everyone saying he was a talented actor? He was literally trash.

Slav got squatted

was thinking about this,how do you stop on a sharp enough incline,without setting the brake,then get squished. If incline is sharp enough how can you exit the vehicle without panicking let alone walk behind/in front of it?
Has to be drug related.Unless one of you can think up a scenario.(this is where you get to be funny)
He will be missed...until this thread dies.

>And why is everyone saying he was a talented actor? He was literally trash.

Maybe he just acted as if he put it in park?

huh?

apperently the new jeeps dont have an audible warning when the car is not in park, and the door is opened.
there is some recall happening about a similar issue with other jeeps/fiats where owners had their truck roll into a river when unloading a boat

> there have been over 100 accidents because cunts cant figure out how to make pic related work.

Under rated comment

>car in neutral on incline
>doesn't pull handbrake
how do you not immediately start rolling back?

The only times I have not noticed is when I am on a road that I think is flat but actually has a very small incline.

Theres a recall and a number of class action suits, over 200 accidents and 40+ injuries but this looks to be the first death. For 2016 the shifter has been replaced with a normal shifter, and for 2011-2013 the JGC also had a normal shifter.

Retarded. Its very simple to use. Press the button and push the lever either forward or back until displays your desired gear...

wheres mailbox?

My ebrake failed before. If you don't yank it all the way up it'll slip. I saw it start rolling and stopped it, but there is no excuse for not putting autotragic in park, let alone neutral

> Star Trek actor
> 27
No, Voyager stopped being made in the 90s. Unless he was a baby on the show, he wasn't a Star Trek actor.

*tips fedora*

burgers in charge of using a lever

when the gov't mandated auto shifters can't shift in a straight line because it's "too easy to forget to put it in park"

>All these replies
>Nobody posts actual, retarded Cherokee shifter

we told you bro

roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/news/a28121/nhtsa-investigates-jeep-dodge-chrysler-shifters/

underrated

Should of bought a chevy

>a fucking dial

jesus christ

they both have locks.

pic related is the fuckin problem.

Color me retarded, but someone didn't actually think that was a good idea?

Didn't this Jeep have hill-start control like most modern automatic cars have? The brakes are applied automatically until you start moving so you don't roll back on a hill.

Good luck finding that shit outside of a boiracer civic

>chrystler

That's a pretty dumb post, user. Did you have to sit next to the homeless guy on the bus today?

Holy fuck I wasn't ready for this, that's some next level autism design. Something could easily turn that by accident.

a black guy

but no seriously, very few cars have this feature.

Except it's on most cars with an electric parking brake and some without one. I'd expect a Jeep to have one unless he had a base model or something.

Well it makes sense because you're only sending an electric signal to the computer which controls the gearbox. You really do not need a big stick that takes up space in an automatic.

Sure, it's simple, but that doesn't mean it isn't a shitty, pointless design decision. After you've spent years upon years driving a car with a human-style shifter where pushing it all the way up = park is committed to muscle memory, it's pretty easy to forget to check especially for such a casual thing like that.

"You don't mind if I turn down the volume?"

Considering the importance of having control over your vehicle's drivetrain, id venture to say that yeah, maybe keeping the "big stick that takes up so much space" is a good call.

Look how fucking tiny the knob is and where they placed it. Its next to the god damn speaker volume knob and isnt even much bigger.

And what exactly are they saving that space for? Another two cup holders that they could have put literaly anywhere?

Its a dumb design, through and through. And sadly, exactly the kind of design we have all come to expect from the auto gods over at chrystler auto group.

CLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACK

His own Jeep Grand Cherokee.

kek'd

Well that's a great invention then. If all automatic cars had this, everyone whom would pick an auto over a manual would simply crash and die.

:A)

So killed by a fiat chrysler vehicle that wouldn't go into park properly?

I had a RAM Big Horn rental truck with this fucking thing in it, such a hilarious juxtaposition.

land rover and i think some jaguars do this as well. It's bloody stupid, it makes me want to put it in 'wash cycle'.

A base 2002 malibu has it. Most newer cars do, my bus-riding friend.

kek

A contender appears!

kek all these faggots who don't realize that chyrsler is literally the original meme shifter car maker. they can't go five years without some new and retarded twist

>why the fuck didn't he put it in park
In all likelihood, he did—or thought he did. That shifter was recalled because
1) After you select a gear, it SPRINGS BACK TO ITS RESTING POSITION, meaning you can't tell what gear it's in just by looking at it
2) The total travel distances is only a couple of inches, meaning the difference between "park" and any other gear is very slight, and
3) The detents between gears are so slight as to be unnoticeable.

It's worse than the spinbob mcwheeljig.

autoweek.com/article/recalls/fca-recall-11-million-vehicles-confusing-shifter

I have this shifter on my 2013 300S and it has only acted up once. You just have to pay attention that the gear you select stays in the gear.

Not that fucking difficult.

A crushing rebuttal. Glad no one died the one time YOU fucked up.

>not using the e-brake
>not watching the 2 minute video that explains it
>ignoring the chime that says it's not in P
>not noticing the dash screen or light on shifter
youtube.com/watch?v=MF9Ms21g_-c

I mean, I have the shifter. I hate dodge. But this will result in everyone having to use an NHTSA-approved shifter because 'tards can't pay attention to what they're doing.

Audi also uses this shifter. It's designed by ZF.

I mean even Lincoln was hit. They had push buttons on the dash but because the Start/Stop button was even somewhat kinda nearby the S (selectshift) button 800 year old people missed and pressed the wrong one, turning off the car, but only after they HELD IT DOWN FOR A MOMENT INSTEAD OF TAPPING IT.

I mean, are we seriously trusting idiots who can't even press the right button at leisure to press the right pedal in a timely manner?

>FCA shill getting uncomfortable when you point out the flaws in his shitty chrysler

keep it coming, guys

>not using the e-brake
Yeah, that's pretty stupid. Unless you "know" every car made after 2002 is supposed to do that for you, I guess, in which case applying it would make you a bus-riding idiot that didn't read the owner's manual. >not watching the 2 minute video that explains it
Jesus. You realize how silly it is for an AUTOMATIC shifter to need a two-minute instructional video, right?

>ignoring the chime that says it's not in P
It wouldn't happen to sound like the chime that says your seat belt is unbuckled, or the chime that says your door is open, would it?

You're right that it's not rocket science, but an AUTOMATIC SHIFTER should not require unflinching concentration to use. If EVERYONE watched the video, studied the manual, and did everything right 99.9% of the time, that one-in-a-thousand fuck-up means a LOT of fuck-ups when there are 1.1 million vehicles on the road.

Put another way, if YOU do everything correctly in your daily driver 99.9% of the time, odds are you're going to fuck up twice over the 6.5 years most people keep new vehicles. And hopefully you're not on an incline, or fucking with your garage door opener or security gate when it happens.

>I'm about to drive a 2 ton ameriboat, better not know how it works before use

With that kind of reading comprehension, I'm guessing you're the guy they made the video for.

>27 year old actor tragically killed while preparing for role in sequel to Hitchcock classic "Dial N for Murder"

kek

nice

>shifter dial that close to the volume dial

daimler must've taken all of chrysler's engineers that didn't have autism

Co-workers friend had similar thing happen recently, but got away with 'just' shattered pelvis and broken legs, he got pinned between the car and garage wall.
Car wasn't running he had his back turned, was in neutral no park brake. The car rolled on a "flat" surface.
I like to think of it like a lion stalking it's prey, slowly creeping up then *bam* crushed

>was thinking about this,how do you stop on a sharp enough incline,without setting the brake,then get squished. If incline is sharp enough how can you exit the vehicle without panicking let alone walk behind/in front of it?

I'm not sure about newer cars, but my old as fuck Subaru Forester (1998) has a hill start assist feature that I could see resulting in a situation like that.

If the incline is great enough it will momentarily hold the vehicle with neither the hand brake or regular brakes applied....and then release.

I'd wager it'd possible to step out and walk to the rear of my car before it started rolling.

>crushing
heh

Deserves a Darwin award