Cheaper classic cars

I'm looking to buy a cheaper classic car for my first.

Other urls found in this thread:

charlotte.craigslist.org/search/cto?query=mgb&auto_transmission=1
greensboro.craigslist.org/cto/5625435541.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I forgot to put on there that I want to build

a 70-72 Monte Carlo wouldn't be too expensive and I think they look nice

>TFW no Ace Ventura style beaten up Monte carlo

How about an old chevette? They'really dirt cheap and if you drop in a monster engine it will be one of the cooler cars at any meet you go to.

ferks birdy!!

Really, I wish these were more popular. They're RWD and lighter than an AE86. They handle well on principle, even with their dogshit suspension.

What about GAS?

Op get a square cost c10 or other classic truck. They give you the best feels

They're shit

I had one of those once. I liked mine a lot, but (at least where I live) the cutlass supreme seems to be a cheaper/easier to source parts for alternative. You could go with a box caprice too, those don't seem to be too bad

How bad is the gas mileage in these? I was thinking of finding one and working on it as a future daily driver. Granted my usual days mileage is 15 miles.

>on principle
That RWD is better? Jesus christ

Depends
Old Beetles can get 40mpg
Old trucks with a 427 can get 8mpg if you drive it like you got a pair

Depends on what you do to it and how you drive it. Compare the mileage to a truck from the early 2000s with a v8 and you'll be getting similar numbers in an 80s v8 shit box

Get a 4th Gen nova if you can find one. Similar front suffrage and suspension to a 2ND gen camaro, they're relatively light, and they're easy to work on. Most parts from older novas will fit, depending on what it is.

Subframe*
Damm autocorrect

How about a 70s malibu or a firebird (Implying i'd find one cheap)

Got a 94 dakota v8 so I assume it'll compete decently in terms of goodnight gas mileage.

I like the look of the nova a lot.

I picked that picture since it's rattler than mine, but probably faster. Here's mine

Saw a ton of already restored ones that people are wanting ~15k for cause (They invested over 500000000 million into it).

Also why are MGBs getting so popular now. I've seen at least 5 on the road in a week and quite a few on my local CL.

Because they're pretty much the optimal starter classic. They have an utterly massive parts aftermarket, they're small, they're perky, they're civilized, they're mechanically simple, they're cheap, and they're fun.

Also assuming because manual is a given on it.

Sounds neat and I kind of like the look. How much of a deathtrap are those?

If you crash you die. What do you even mean? Take off the training wheels and live a little.

I hope they finally do become popular enough to bring in more money than they cost to restore.

It's a small unibody convertible built on a 1960s design. What are you expecting here?

That said, the rubber bumpers on the later models are functional. They can actually take a hit instead of being for-show metal trim. It's certainly worth considering retaining them if you want to DD the thing.

Most muscle cars can be quite affordable. It's when you get into high trim, manual transmission, big block cars that have a lot of work done, that it gets expensive. Most base classics in good shape with a small block and 3 speed auto aren't that bad.

Some good vehicles to look at:

>Dodge Dart, Demon
>AMC Hornet / Javelin / AMX
>Ford Maverick, Galaxy
>Pontiac Grand Am, 73 and up GTO, Firebird
>GM g-body 80s cars, buick regal, olds cutlass, monte carlo
>Plymouth Fury, Valiant, Satellite
>Chevy Monza, Nova, Camada

And yes, the vast majority of them came with a 4-speed. While they exist, you are not going to find an automatic MGB unless you really go looking for one.

>manual transmission,
Auto*

Good luck finding manuals from that era.

All the poorfags bought 3-speeds and all the boomers swapped them to autos.

charlotte.craigslist.org/search/cto?query=mgb&auto_transmission=1

Oh friend i've got tons near me.

That's a good thing, user. Good fucking luck finding shift linkage parts for three-on-the-tree transmissions these days.

There were 3 speed floor shifters too.

Out of those, I recommend this one.

greensboro.craigslist.org/cto/5625435541.html

It's fairly cheap, apparently in good condition, and most importantly it's a post-77 model, which means it has a modern 12-volt electrical system. When they made that switch a lot of the infamous British electrical problems went away.

>RWD better in principle
Yup, 'fraid so.

Another big advantage of the late MGBs is actually the engine. Sure, they had to detune it and drop the compression for emissions requirements. But that means that today they'll run with no problems on unleaded low octane. A classic that you can fuel up like a Civic should not be ignored.

but LS-swapped Chevette doe

wrong year muscle