Porsche 944

Why can I find so many 944s under $7k.

Are they super expensive to own? Snail cars because 4 cylinder engine?

Was something wrong with these?

I love the look of it and would love to take one for a drive sometime. Even if i'd probably get looks for driving an old porsche as if i'm just acting like I have dinero.

Other urls found in this thread:

9ss1.dk/porsche944/garage/workshop.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

because they arent popular and they are anemic while simultaneously being heavy.

The early year base model ones are very slow, but they handle well.

If you search hard you'll notice that the faster S2 and Turbo models still fetch 10-20k depending on condition.

they'll probably break, and unless you can fix them yourself, it's a nightmare to get it fixed, and it requires a lot of money.

the 944 and the 928 are the kind of car you buy for around 10k$ and then spend a lot more keeping it running.

if you know how to work them though, they are bloody amazing. i owned one and am really heartbroken i sold it. it was amazing.

I'm assuming you're under 30 since this is Veeky Forums, how much was insurance for the 944?

assume that he's also australian since its 2am and he used the word bloody.

not a lot because in my country insurance is mostly rated by how old the car is, displacement and driver experience.

i paid around 250$ a year. but to put that in perspective, my father onws a 2014 1.4 punto evo and pays 120$ a year.

i assume it will be super diferent in the US

oooh my bad. I forgot murica isn't the only country with internet.

$250 a year is amazing considering I pay $80 a month for a 20 year old Toyota pickup.

But I hear you guys pay out the ass for other things like video games, cigarettes, and shitty internet. So I feel ya man.

Is this something the internet can help or without a lift am I screwed on fixing it myself reliably?

Looking at 1987-1988s. Would love to find a turbo but unlikely unless I spend way more and assume the turbo would end up as bigger $$$ to replace/fix.

TFW insurance rates grape us in america. Still I only pay $40 a month for my 22 year old truck.

i'm not actually australian. i'm european and have the day off.

but yeah, video games are 70$ a piece, and gasoline is 1,5$ a litter, not to mention a lot of other stuff.

internet is pretty good in europe, except in the places where it straight up doesn't exist.

we also have to pay road taxes (which were 100$ a year for my 944) and yearly/biannual inspections (25$). also, we litteraly cannot do any modifications to a car. if we do, and get found out, the car is towed and we actually need to pay for the garage to undoo the modifications or we lose the car.

we can also get "aproval" for a modicifaction. but it costs 100$ with the DMV just to get the papers, and you need two brand "mechanics" to approve the project.

honestly, i'd rather pay more insurance

>Is this something the internet can help or without a lift am I screwed on fixing it myself reliably?
9ss1.dk/porsche944/garage/workshop.html

also, videos on youtube. lifts are unnecessary, but a jack and some jackstands are absolutelly mandatory.

honestly, if this is the first car you fix up, i wouldn't recommend it. but maybe you get lucky and it doesn't break.

>Looking at 1987-1988s.
Then you're looking at a 2600lbs car with a 150hp engine, which is around the power/weight ratio of a Miata. It will be fun to drive but you might be disappointed when your Porsche loses a stoplight race to a V6 Camry.

wow I had no idea car mods were so locked down in places other than Singapore. I don't mind my insurance rate as much now.

>we can also get "aproval" for a modicifaction. but it costs 100$ with the DMV just to get the papers, and you need two brand "mechanics" to approve the project.

Can a burger get some legal rational for this? How is this in the public interest at all?

sum it up

cheapish to buy ( for a porsche)
hard on the wallet
not that fast
great 50/50 weight and suspension is aggressive
expensive to own and maintain
only get it if you really want one and willing to spend more than it's worth in repairs

Better off looking for a 300zx turbo, Supra with turbo (If you want to die), Mustang 5.0 foxbody for actual power and speed

you have no idea.

i had this car (my first car) which was a ford puma 1.7, which is the car i learned how to work on cars on.

anyway. one day, the brake calipers went bad (cilinder got fucked) so i though "if i'm gonna buy calipers, might as well get some bigger brakes, since stock ones are pretty small". so i went out, and got some Ford Sierra calipers (the 4 pot ones) and the discs and pads, around 600$ total, put them in, done. they fit behind the standart wheels too. increased my stooping power by 70$ (the car weighted about 2200lbs, and now had an almost 3000lbs set of "sporty brakes" one)

i went to the yearly inspection and they towed my car because it was "unsaffe to drive" (nevermind that the braking was remarkably better, and i'd been driving with said brakes for close to a year now)

i had to pay 200$ for them to remove my modifications, because the mechanics wouldn't approve (because they want money)

it's retarded beihond measure

there are laws about it. but there's no reason at all. according to them it's to try to cut down on the street racing. but turns out the street racers are just saving up for actual performance cars now, and racing them stock.

there's also no race tracks that cost less than 150$ a day.

it's utter shit if you like cars.

>Better off looking for a 300zx turbo, Supra with turbo (If you want to die), Mustang 5.0 foxbody for actual power and speed

a 300zx turbo is as expensive to own, and harder to work on

a supra with a turbo is like a doulbe rainbow, super rare (where i live anyways)

a mustang has the handling of a toddler with an ear infection.

if you live in some shithole like portugal

in central europe the laws are different.

yep. portuguese.

fml

300zx as expensive to own? The engine bay is a bitch to work on but just for you i'll change it to a c5 vette then.

Supra with turbo is so rare because they all got killed crashing them.

Mustang; Just give it some high impact shocks and new coils and lower control arms. ~$1k for much better handling.

It's like a turbo FC, but more expensive to maintain

sounds about right tbqh

Yeah but a turbo fc is way more expensive