/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Vomit edition
Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1451
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Vomitpostan!

That's what I mean, The game understands a realistic skeleton, but how do you make the game understand that, the shoulder is at the top of the upper body, instead of being right next to the nipples?

You sure have alot of questions. Okay, let's get more technical.

>Does the game acknowledges where do limbs connect with the torso?

Yes. This information is defined in body_default.txt and body_rcp.txt. This information is used in-game for things like joint-locking and manipulating during wrestling and also attack damage affecting adjacent body parts to the one that is hit.

>In a big enough body part, does the place where you place a heart inside it affect the chances of it being pierced?

No. You can define if a body part is connected to another part externally and where it is connected by using joints, but the location of an internal body part within another body part cannot currently be defined as such. Basically what the game does right now is look at the overall size of the containing body part, and then the size of the contained body part, and roll a weighted dice to see if the contained body part is hit. Practically: if you have a torso of relsize 90, and a heart of relsize 10, a spear stab (assuming it penetrates, of course) to the torso will have roughly a 10/(90+10) or 10% chance to strike the heart.

Was last thread but yeah, never seen this before:
You can have things be front/rear/top and such I think?

BP_RELATION accepts: AROUND, SURROUNDED_BY, ABOVE, BELOW, IN_FRONT, BEHIND, CLEANS, and CLEANED_BY

BP_POSITION accepts: FRONT, BACK, LEFT, RIGHT, TOP and BOTTOM

oh ok. Yeah, this has been interesting as fuck, but the wiki doesnt answer my questions

Can you have external organs?
Can you make a 'hollow' creature, connecting various torsos in a circular way?
Does the game understand that when you stab someone so hard the sword comes out from the back, the muscle tearing is bigger than when you simply stab someone?

You're thinking too realistically about it. Think of it more in terms of DnD or other tabletop game, where combat is more of an abstraction. When a creature is attacked, you roll a dice to determine first IF it is hit. If so, then you roll another dice based on a chart to see WHERE it is hit and what effect it has.

The dwarf does not exist in-game as an actual entity. What it really is a nested series of dice rolls. In the context of the game, things like exactly WHERE the upper arm connects to the torso are meaningless. What the game does is roll a random number to see what body part is hit, based on the relsize of the body part divided by the relsize of the entire body, or containing body parts for internal parts.

>can you have external organs?

You mean like pic related? Yes. To make say, an external heart, you just go into body_rcp.txt, copy the heart entry and name it something like [BODY:RCP_HEART_EXTERNAL], and remove the [INTERNAL] tag.

>Can you make a 'hollow' creature, connecting various torsos in a circular way?

I don't believe you can. As I understand it, body parts must be defined as a branching tree. Each part can have parts branching off it, but the branches cannot be rejoined together at any point but the part they are coming off of. So you could make a U shaped creature, but you could never close the gap to fully make an O.

>Does the game understand that when you stab someone so hard the sword comes out from the back, the muscle tearing is bigger than when you simply stab someone?

I'm not sure on this one.

As soon as I open a world in LV, the pie charts are there.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, because the external heart is no longer internal, you can use the [RIGHT] tag to define it as being on the right side of the upper body.

Yuck!

>Can you make a 'hollow' creature, connecting various torsos in a circular way?

After thinking about this further, do you mean a 'hollow' like this? As in a creature with a missing portion of its torso that attacks may pass through without harming it?

If so, that's easy. You define a new body part that's embedded in the torso. Call it a Hole, then you make a creature that uses the Hole. You select the hole in the creature raw and define it as being made of a gas. Voila, now whenever an attack is rolled that hits the hole, it will pass through harmlessly.

I've been visited by an undead sieging army. This was pretty early, so I've just closed up my bridges and plan to deal with them once I have a better military... or something. What's been funny though, is that visitors keen on checking out my swanky tavern have been popping in, seeing all the undead warriors shambling about, and subsequently either killing a couple and dying if they're soldiers, or just getting chased around for a season until they tired and get killed if they're bards.

It does model the damage on additional tissue layers when attacks aren't stopped by the preceding ones, and as of the joint damage it handles some of that sort of connective tissue damage.

From looking at the detail plans I don't see why you couldn't add to the ribcage positions something like:

[BP_RELATION:BY_CATEGORY:HEART:IN_FRONT:BY_CATEGORY:SPINE:5]
[BP_RELATION:BY_CATEGORY:LUNGS:AROUND:BY_CATEGORY:HEART:15]
[BP_RELATION:BY_CATEGORY:HEART:ABOVE:BY_CATEGORY:HLIVER:5]
With some experimentation to figure out if you could have it so stabbing someone from above and damaging their heart could then damage the liver, or stabbing through a lung from the side into the heart or spine could be done?

>fresh new embark
>suddenly someone falls unconscious
>dies few seconds later
What did he mean by this?

1 of 2 things:

1. log fell on his head and he died (wear a fucking copper helmet at least)
2. God is punishing you for using MASTERSHIT

He was hit in the head by a falling piece of wood?

Why do people hate masterwork so much around here?

His body is underground as you can see on the screenshot. He couldn't get hit by a falling tree there. I'm not using any mastershit either.

nah lad let me do it for you

>le mastershit
>why don't people like it?
>do you see mastershit in the OP? this is about dwarf fortress
>stop liking what I don't like!
>back to the alps
>stop being a child!

there, no need to advertise it anymore

Because Meph is a Svede who takes well over a thousand dollars in donation money a month that could either go to the people who actually made his mods, or to, yanno, Toady, which he uses to finance his vacations around the world. And he smirkingly links to his vacation blog on his forum handle.

Here's a modding question:

Is it possible to create a custom slab or tome or whatever that teaches a custom smelting reaction, and then to have that slab or tome drop as an item off a slain megabeast, the way bronze colossi drop statues?

Definitely not, the only kind of stuff like that that can convey a change is shit like a vapor that splatters someone and gives them a syndrome. It can't teach new reaction etc.

Masterwork 34.x has a race of frost giants who drop bars of bifrost for cool gear tho, and a race of automata who drop brass mechanisms.

Can't add the reactions like that, and I don't know if you can control the text on an item that is dropped like that, but you could have the itemcorpse be a slab or whatnot.

Ah, thanks.

Dammit, there goes my dream to replicate something like Thulsa Doom attacking villages in order to solve the Riddle of Steel.

Gonna need a story time on this.

>grizzly bear man got bodied by bogeyman who he never even landed a fucking hit on

HOW

Bogeymen are the strongest enemies in the game.
They're exactly the same as angels, only smaller and guaranteed to not be made of some shitty material like water. You also have to fight them on their terms out in the open, so you can't do shit like hide behind doors or kite them around pillars to cheapshot them like you can with angels, and bogeyman appear in larger numbers than angels.
That means the strongest angel is a bit stronger than the strongest bogeyman, but your average bogeyman is much stronger than your average angel. A pack of bogeymen is far stronger than anything else you could ever encounter barring some kind of webspitting archangel.

How am I supposed to play adventure mode? I spawned as an elf and I'm just wandering around aimlessly.

By having an aim, although that's not necessary. There's lots to do and at the same time little reason to do it, just like fort mode. The trick is to RP.

Is there any way to ensure that there won't be a lot of murky pools on the embark? Fucking hate those useless pieces of shit.

Wander around and do shit.
You could go to your nearest human city, claim the site for yourself and your group and then kill the local lord.
You could go on a quest to exterminate every night troll, necromancer and vampire in the world.
You could go plunder vaults and load yourself up with divine metal, then retire at a fort so you can play with divine metal in fortress mode.
You could go try and exterminate every living thing in a dark fortress.
You could wander around telling stories and singing and dancing and building up a massive troupe of entertainers, then use said troupe of entertainers to assault a dark fortress, kill the demon in charge and then lay claim to the fortress for yourself and The Fabulous Messiahs.
You could also have your upper spine chipped by a lucky bogeymen and be a useless cripple for the remaining sixteen seconds of your life.

No no, I love this kind of stuff
The problem is I literally can't find anything, I wandered around in the wilderness for 5 hours

Legendsviewer is pretty much mandatory if you want to do anything interesting in adv mde

>find pleb in a lair
>his only possession is a book
>going to use him as my new training buddy since I accidentally killed my last one
>start strangling so he doesn't put up a fight as I cripple him
>ends up dying immediately instead of going unconscious
>read his book
>he's just been shitposting about a nearby town while hiding in his lair
wew

If you screw up and don't have a shield, dragonfire makes statues explode into clouds of boiling magma now, hell if you happened to be near something hit by dragonfire you could block the fire and get burned by the shit lighting off around you.

Webspitting inorganic titans, flying dragonfire breathing inorganic titans (yeesh, nothx), and similar fbs are awful.

Beyond a certain skill level, and especially once you do something like become a vampire or necromancer bogeymen start to become an annoyance.

Embark in a scorching desert.

Requesting new world seeds. Anyone have a decent world they'd like to share? Embarks?

1. Military uniforms conflict with civilian labor tools. Woodcutters take off any assigned equipment before they pick up the axe to do their civilian labor.

2. That's just phoebus.

A creature's strength is relative to their size, and the largest bogey is 1/3rd the size of an average dwarf. They're much, much weaker than angels that aren't composed of something soft.

>They're much, much weaker than angels that aren't composed of something soft.
Except for the part where their strength stat is pumped so high that they can punch through steel with their bare fists. Bogeymen are literally just angels+1. Everything dangerous about angels, bogeymen do better.

Also, angels can be and usually are the same size as bogeymen anyway. The humanoid ones at least. Beast angels are wimplords regardless of their size, and archangels are usually huge.

T to bring up the fast travel screen and Q to bring up the quest log both give you maps with lower resolutions that will show broader areas to find points of interest. The compass in the upper left corner of the screen will also lead you to nearby locations, which seems to be locations within ~1 day's travel.

>Beyond a certain skill level, and especially once you do something like become a vampire or necromancer bogeymen start to become an annoyance.
But by that point you're strong enough that nothing else in the game can so much as touch you. Excluding dragons, webspitters and the minmaxiest RNGbeasts, bogeymen are the only threat serious enough to even be considered an annoyance. A lucky bogeyman can kill you in a single hit at any point in the game.
Nothing else can remain a relevant threat at that point, even with luck on their side.
When was the last time your armored, legendary vampire adventurer was actually injured by say a night troll? Or even an angel?
Now when was the last time your armored, legendary vampire adventurer was crippled by a bogeyman getting a lucky neck shot?

>elf

Fucking kill yourself you subhuman scum

Is there anything worse than an elf?

2 elves

3 elves

elf civ

There is one thing actually

>kobolds
>speaking legibly

>hating on kobolds
kobolds are cute! CUTE!

Best way to purge elf scum?

gronk

one by one

limb from limb

One of these days I should play a kobold adventurer and go on a slaughtering spree to try and wipe out all the civilized races.

why not right now

That is an excellent question and it seems to have no answer. My current adventurer was boring anyway.

Or a frozen one.

but he'll still have murky pools, they just won't be usable

You're DRAMATICALLY overselling bogeymen. The only way they can "destroy you at any point in teh game" is that some have gore attacks. Night trolls, and ordinary trolls, also have that.

They're a threat to:
0. People without companions
1. Newbie adventurers
2. People who sleep outside
3. ????

There is nothing magical or special about bogeymen as far as other creatures are concerned, and I have only died to them due to stupidity or incautiousness. I have had plenty of established characters brutally killed by night trolls (one bite and it can definitely be over for you with no way for even superhuman strength x legendary wrestling to pry free) but I have yet to see an awake, non stunned, trained adventurer die of them.

To be fair, angels seem faggy as fuck in 43.03, no extremity armor whatsoever, often spawn without axes, so I'm wondering if .04 or .05 had an important mod for them.

The only possible explanation for why people think bogeymen are a credible threat overall rather than just in specific situations, I think, is .34.xx bone chipping pain.

What? I'm pretty sure woodcutters can still have uniforms, it just can't involve an axe.

A single wrong move with an angel can result in them skewering a divine metal pike through your hand, permanently ruining it, while I have not seen bogeymen do anything of the sort unless you count .34.xx.

I don't really pay attention to what permanently fucks you up in .34 since I've had size 1100000 race characters have motor nerve severings due to a fucking ordinary crab.

Nope, miners and woodcutters will strip naked when they switch from military or civilian tasks, even if you don't have any uniform set for them at all. It's stupid as fuck.

Meph is known for pocketing donation money (on average, thousands every month) and take frequent vacations across the world. He claims a lot of work went unfinished, not because he went on vacation, but because a middle eastern guy confiscated his thumb drive. So not only is he rich at the expense of DF fans (and at the expense of Toady, since the donation money should be his), but he's a racist as well who blames literal Islamic terrorism on why he did nothing as far as updates for a whole month.

So in case you're wondering why some people are pissy about Mastershit, now you know why.

is there a way to change genders pre-embark
i got 7 females

cancel and start over

is it a huge detriment to wait for first migration wave?

bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1451

>is it a huge detriment to wait for first migration wave?

I don't understand the question. Are you asking whether their sexes matter, other than that if they get married and join the military they may retardedly bring their babies? No.

I was asking that, since I had 7 females, would it actually be an issue to wait for the first migration wave to get a male.

No. It would matter in no way whatsoever.

Genders are almost entirely meaningless. The only difference between them is that males can be the victims of gelding blows and women can produce leeches that serve as meatshields on rare occasions.

realistically, your fort would hardly play out differently than normal if it was populated entirely by females

Not if they're frozen?

So if ya gotta do two separate embarks at a least with a dead civ, and thus have 14 DORFS to detail the skills for, what skills would you go for, and for which embark?

1. Assume the first embark will join the second bark... after awhile.
2. Assume the first embark won't have much time to fuck around with their actual skills/jobs, being too busy moving shit around etc.

How do I invert the signal sent from a pressure plate to a bridge?

What's the best race for an adventurer who's going to be wandering around underground a lot? I would assume it would be dwarf would be best and human would be pretty bad due to lack of eyesight without sunlight, but I'd like to know if there's anything else I should take into account.

>

Goblins don't eat or drink and have good nightsight.

Dorf. By FAR

You forgot their great ability to pick up odors. Seriously, the only times I've been able to pick up anything other than "death"(in an evil biome), I've been playing as a gobbo.

>can join lock shit to break it
>can't go MGS and snap someone's neck

Probably because that's just too "nuffin personel" tier.

add joint tag to throat

What the fuck can give you that message in the game, man?

Is there any way to tell how deep the aquifer is from the site selection screen? Or by any other method than embarking and digging or hacks, mods, etc?

In pre-0.40, you'd run into random bandit encounters when fast travelling. They'd be announced with a popup window.

is it possible to build downwards?

building it on a ledge facing up
and then letting it crash down works... but

is there maybe a workaround or is it only possible to build from the bottom up?

Staircases can be built with no support except from above if I'm not mistaken.

An advantage of adventurer mode, I suppose, my construction is all abstracted to the travel screen so it just has to have proper support.

I could lay out something like this in side view:

_
..[]_
......[]_
..........[]

Sometimes I need to add additional "construction braces" on the sides, but you can build an otherwise unsupported zigzag out from a wall as far as you want.

+
++
..++
....++
......+
....++
....+
....++
......++
........++

Would build just fine, but building a single row of floors that far would stop after a couple of tiles at most.

I think this is the first time I've seen a dwarf whose values are exactly the same as the civ's values.

Imagine this with over the top anime visuals
shonen fortress

>tfw I just shouted all my values at the peasant were-wombat until I broke his minds like I broke his body
After he accepted my values, I proceeded to tell him all the stories I knew about him. He was one of the first humans and was a bard. The very first thing he did was write an angry book about his hometown hamlet. He went on to write a gorillion books. Eventually he went mad craving immortality, and decided desecrating a temple was the best way to do that. After he was cursed to be a were-wombat and kicked out of all civilization, he spent many years eating livestock and travelers that wandered near his lair.

I recited his entire history, a tale as old as the world, before purging the abomination from the world.

Oh, and he kept his very first book with him. It was his only reminder of the life he used to live.

nice story

>trying to build a tower to facilitate an execution drop where the victim hits terminal velocity before exploding on a solid gold floor
>giant keas constantly interrupting

if only there were a way to have bowdwarfs constantly hunting for the giant green faggots