BMW Z4

What's the general consensus on the BMW Z4? I'm looking for a nice first car and I like the sporty look of this one. But I seem to see a lot of them on used car sites. Is this a bad sign?

>kinda high running costs
>good handling
>godlike 3 liter i6
>not sure about reliability
>most of them has lived a hard life

>didn't get answer in bwg for ten minutes
>makes a new thread
i don't know what you expect but making a new bmw thread means you're going to get a shit load of
>lel bmw reliability
>can't afford it op xD

It looks sportier than it feels. The first-gen (the one in your pic) isn't terrible, so it's worth test driving. But it doesn't handle anything like, say, a Miata. The added power and nicer interior might make up for it, depending on what you're looking - it's good for people who think the Miata is too hardcore.

The seat backs tend to fall off, which is weird.

The 2nd gen is just boring; it drives like a sedan, but without the practicality. Not a sports car, it's for middle-aged normies.

It's a miata for fags

>The 2nd gen is just boring; it drives like a sedan

very much disagreeing on this. rented one at the ring and that was a real champion, handling was superb, and the gearbox was absolutely wonderful. i'm sure the car was somewhat modified, but not that much as it is a rental car. have you actually driven one?

It's a shitty BMW without a dipstick.

So its a miata?

Not him but if you want to stop being a 13 year old who finds "HURR GAY LOL" funny for a second, the Miata is a proper driver's car whereas the Z4 isn't.

OP look at really any alternative; Z3, S2K, Miata (NB/ND), Boxster etc. Also don't even think about an automatic in any of these.

NC miata with mods is worth a look. the nc is underwhelming stock but coilovers and larger wheels completely change the car for the better, it also supercharges nicely with that flyin miata kit

It's a more comfy, bigger, and more miata. It's a taste thing.

My advice is test drive a Z3 and a comparable Z4. The test drive will tell you more than we can.

>boxster
>driver's car

>if I put something in greentext it's automatically true
Yes, a lot of idiots just buy it for the Porsche badge but it actually drives really well.

Here's the thing about the NC; it's not a bad car (I personally can't stand its looks), it is however a bad Miata. If you're going to dump money into mods you may be better off just looking at another car.

Comparing an NC with an NB is like a Z4 to a Z3; it just kind of lost something on the way.

I've driven the TT roadster, 1st and 2nd gen Z4 and the SLK. The TT was the most spacious but also the least comfortable. The 1st gen Z4 is cramped as fuck inside but the engines are incredible. Interior quality is shocking for a BMW. 2nd gen Z4 is way more comfortable but the i4s aren't as nice and if you get the 35i you'll definitely kill yourself. The SLK is the most comfortable and least sporty car of those 3. If you have to do long journeys regularly and still want a 2 seater convertible that isn't a Miata, that's the one to buy.

it does have a dipstick you meme spewing imbecile

I have. I can totally believe that it felt great on the Ring. At normal speeds, I thought it felt like a nice car my mom would enjoy cruising around in.

It's not an uncommon problem with performance cars. They need to be driven hard, too hard to keep your license.

it's common with newer performance cars, older ones are fun at all speeds such as the z3

I stand corrected.

I have never driven one, but have always liked the way they looked, however, I hate the soft top. They did make a hard top convertible, but it would probably be to heavy. I have seen a full on hard top coupe before too which looked amazing. Would only bother with an M package of this though.

Mine.

It is not a focused sports car, if you are looking for something hardcore to bomb around in then look at something else.

It does however, make a great comfortable cruiser. Boot is useless with the roof down but thats the price you pay for a retractable hard-top. Ditch the run-flat tyres and get 18" wheels for maximum comfyness.

hmm. well, when you put it that way, i never drove it slowly, apart from the pitlanes and some

I’ve felt it in other German cars. I think making a car work on the Autobahn just compromises it at more common speeds. It used to be worse, when automatics only had four speeds (and they had to be ridiculously tall) and steering wasn’t adjustable. Adaptive steering gets a bad rap but without it, steering that feels nimble at 40 mph would be dangerous at 155.

I know it’s a meme car, but it’s worth bringing up the Miata because it’s the total opposite. It’s pure joy below, dunno, 60, 75 mph? Above that it has terrible aero (lots of lift), the steering’s too quick, it’s too oversteery, and the engine’s screaming at silly rpm. Driving through the city though, it’s in its element.

The Boxster, Z3, and 1st-gen Z4 were in between. The 2nd-gen Z4 and the SLK are more high-speed cars. As you get into supercar pricing, the technology becomes available to widen the cars’ “fun range” so that they’re always awesome.

pretty much this

They're also a bit fragile.
If you're in an 8mph fender bender, your bumper clips will sheer right off

Miatafags can't afford this.
In the end, the first gen, it's just a sportscar that can really throw it's weight around. If you run over a piece of gravel, you'll feel it in your back. This car is the least comfortable thing you'll ever be in.

the 2nd gen was a more comfortable thing