Chevy Suburban vs. Jeep Cherokee

Hell/o/, today I looked at and test drove a 1995 Jeep Cherokee and a 1999 Suburban. They were both found on Craigslist, and I'm looking to buy one of them as my first car to take with me to college.

I managed to talk the Jeep owner down to $2150 (initially $2450, wouldn't go lower), and the Suburban to $1000 ($1500).

The Suburban has 197k miles and the Jeep has 127k.
Which one is generally mechanically more sound/reliable/longer lasting if well maintained?

Not an expert on SUVs to say the least, but the daily driver suburban has 260k on it and nothing except oil changes and brake pads have been done (aside from the one time my brother tapped someone and we had to swap a fender, but that wasn't the car's fault)

If I may ask, why do you want a larger vehicle. Wouldn't something small, sensible, and reliable, with good gas mileage (like a Miata hint hint) be appealing toward a college age buyer?

I'm in Pennsylvania and winter here is shit when you're on the roads because they take forever to get plowed. My mother advised me on an SUV with 4WD to combat this. Personally I'd go for a car, but she's adamant about it. It's not her money or anything and I'm the one buying it so I still have the final say.

They will both last quote a long time, I have a Cherokee with 322k that's pretty fuckin cherry, and the jeep will def hold more value over time as well

>1999 Suburban to commute to college
Jesus Christ wtf are you thinking?
That truck gets probably like 3 MPG

I'm going to be driving there (like 250 miles) and staying there during the semesters.

Jeep. You will break even in gas costs alone. I6 Cherokees have proven to be bulletproof.

jeep

A Cherokee isn't as big as you think.

bump :)

I remember you. No luck with that $1500 Cherokee? I'd advise against the suburban because even though you won't be making any major trips, the minor ones will quickly add up.

as much as i leghump Chevy the Jeeps a better option, 4.0 is solid and its going to be far better on fuel

Yeah the $1500 sold 5 hours after it was posted. And I will be going on major trips, like 250+ miles, at least 6-8 times a year. I'm second guessing myself more in questioning if I really need an SUV with 4WD, especially considering the fuel economy.

Get the sub.

No point In paying 1000 more for less.

I bought an old longbed C1500 for my first vehicle.

It's really not worth it to DD inefficient barges unless if you also have a bike, and you'll always feel limited by how much money you want to spend for anything resembling a longer trip. Surburbans and Cherokees are both pretty damn comfy though, at least.

As a college student you won't be driving that much, mostly walking and biking to class, the car is for getting groceries and supplies. And making the big trip to/from Mom'nDad every season.

Go for roomy and reliable and don't worry too much about the mileage.

Afterwards, if you get a job and don't wind up back in your parents' basement, then think about getting something small and fuel efficient as your first commuting car.

The Cherokee is fairly roomy and reliable.

shut the fuck up drone

why do so many people such as yourself who don't know shit about auto repair post here?

Get a subaru wagon.

Cherokee could possibly have ecm problems, depending on the chassis code. Do a search on Cherokee ecm problems for that year. Happened to mine. Relatively easy fix though. I got a plug and play, no programming needed, rebuilt ecm from A1 Cardone and no problems so far. Was about $400.

Suburban.

Fuel economy is fairly close between the two. I averaged 16 in a 97 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban in conditions that did not at all favor fuel economy.

Are those yours?

suburbans are fucking pussywagons and super comfy

definitely get it OP. brake pads wear out quickly because it's a tank.

The Suburban is. The XJ was a friend's.