How often do you change your oil?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act
consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

about every 7k miles with full synthetic

if i was running standard oil it would be 4-5k just for peace of mind

i have some friends who change at 10k, they're retarded

1x a year or 5,000 miles, whichever comes first (for the bike)

whenever the idiot light comes on (Acura TL - DD)

Whenever the low oil light comes on, because it usually loses a quart before 3,000 miles (Porsche 944 Turbo)

3,000 miles

I've never changed my oil. I just puncture a hole in the engine block to leak oil and add more when the light comes on.

20,000 miles recommended by my owners manual

Every 3,000-4,000 miles

Manual says every 24k kms but I change it twice a year and drive maybe 15k kms a year

Every 5k. Half what the book says. Syn blend.

Oil filter at 3k. Oil and filter at 6k.
As per the car manual states.

20w50 conventional oil.

every 50k

Every 5000 clicks, old shit box volvo 240 running 10w30 dino

Every 7,500 miles. Synthetic 5w20 in my S197 GT.

ITT: victims of the 3000 mile oil change myth

1.8T would like an audi with you

I have a 940. I think 240s are gorgeous. I want one. Everyone thinks they're shit and ugly. Good, that will keep the cost down for a long time,whenever I'm done working on my project and have 2k just lying around.

This, I use Mobil 1 and change it every 7,500 miles. Makes it easy to remember the intervals.

This guy must be so jealous of my 200k + mile engines that run flawlessly

The L61 engine would disagree with you.

My owners manual says every 3500 for severe conditions (extreme cold/heat, dusty, mostly stop and go city traffic, driving with a heavy right foot, etc., which I qualify for all four) so that's what I'm going with.

With the shitty oil filters most people put on their cars, 3000 doesn't sound so bad. A FRAM Ecore filter probably won't last much longer than 3000 miles to begin with anyway.

Every fortnight

What about cars that burn a lot of oil? Before the 5,000/7,000/10,000/whatever...

if you go through a lot of oil...can you just change the filter? Some cars probably lose enough oil that you actually end up adding full capacity in between the miles suggested for oil changes

>said no owners manual ever

Every 3,000-3,500 miles in my '84 190E 2.3 running 10W-30 conventional

5000-7000k depending on the engine and how I drive
Carb'd truck gets 5k changes because it's off road and sucks more dirt into the engine, also runs too rich because shitty carb so the oil gets contaminated faster, and it doesn't have fancy roller shit in the valve train like newer cars.

Why don't you post on g anymore?

Every two months, but I tell my car illiterate neighbors I'm tuning the clutch belt.

/g/ - computers and anime girls
Veeky Forums - cars and anime guys

think about it

>mechanic
>gay

>Clutch belt...
Kek.

Don't forget to top off the headlight fluid.

>doesn't understand that oil feeds tend to block up, preventing lubrication once oil accumulate so much shit.
>doesn't understand that even the most healthiest engine burn a bit oil.
>engines are getting technologically smaller overtime, thus the oil feeds are also getting smaller.

Seriosuly, guys. Follow your oil change schedule. Don't fall for the "every 20,0000km oil change bullshit". Oil frequency of 7,000km or less depending how aggressively you drive. More abusive driving should equate to shorter intervals.

Once a month

Once a month, I still lose to GTR's all the time though. My corvette is crap.

Vauxhall (GM) recommend 20k miles or one year oil changes. They give ridiculously long intervals to keep the fleet market happy, in reality most small engined vauxhall cars have fucked engines because of this. You can literally hear a corsa or astra coming because of timing chain rattle and tappet noise due to shit servicing.

every time.

Never because superior 2 stroke

>own a Ram 1500
>converted to LPG

Moar or fewer oil changes?

More.

My car is still under warranty, would changing my own oil void that?

It shouldn't as long as you use oem parts and fluids and keep receipts to prove it.

when the light comes on

2x per year. Usually once in spring and once in autumn.

A day on a track can easily put enough stress to make an oil change strongly recommended.

I drive pretty hard and I've spun a bearing in a strong engine before despite changing the oil myself personally every 2.5-3k miles. I changed it but they sent me the wrong filter, figured it'd be fine and that I'd roll with it for a few more days until I could get a filter - span a bearing that week

TL/DR oil changes depend entirely upon your requirements and how your cars engine has worn over time.

Depends, changing your own oil might void it if not performed by an ASE certified mech even if you have all the receipts and use oem parts. they can't void your warranty cause you didn't take it to the dealer but not being a certified mechanic yes, they might fuck you.

Its not the oil that fails, its the filter that usually goes first

Most companies skimp out on filter construction and glue the pleats together which will eventually fail when you have hot oil constantly flowing through

Every 5000 km.

Dude same here
But I have a bad axel so I put the hole where it can drip onto the shaft and work it's way down to the knuckle

Every 6ish months. I don't drive too much.

I say 6months, its more "wow, that oil looks black as fuck, best change that" then its £20 down the local motorfactors for filter and oil.

why did u change oil when rarely drive?

anyone here ever change oil every 10.000km/7000miles?

so doing track day kill engine quickly ?

With the old 305, whenever I felt like it, and I thrashed that motor hard for 24k miles in a year.

New 350, every 3k or so is what I'm planning on, I make that thing work.

>cam break in & 20 mile drive, oil change
>drove 500 miles, oil change
>drove 2200 miles, oil change
>motor has somewhere around 5200 on it in total now

Valvoline 10w30 with some Lucas break in oil each change, Bosch distance plus filters.

Is that the ac disconnected on the left?

Yep, pump never powered on and system wasn't charged when I bought the truck, so until I have the spare dosh to throw at the AC system it's staying like that.

Is this the same as blinker fluid?
I think i remember reading somewhere that older cars can use the same fluid, but newer ones require exact specification fluid.

No, its completely different. Horrible things happen if you put blinker fluid in headlights.
>Turn on left turn signal
>Passenger side high beam blinks

Some cars however recommend synthetic blinker fluid. Mostly the high end German cars as they have problems with standard blinker fluid.

Every 5 hours for the CRF, which is about once every time I ride. Filter every 10.

Every 3-5k miles. I can't keep my foot of the gas and drive pretty aggressively though.

Every 15-20k depending on if I'm home or not. So every month and a half.

>2013 BRZ
>Every 3K miles or 6months
>Car gets driven hard frequently
>60K miles and zero engine problems

Being freuqnet on maintenance means less chance for engine failure. Dont be a Jew and neglect your shitbox.

I got tired of that board, it's literally a bunch of kids posting their desktop and phone backgrounds.
There's nothing there.

every board is like that now. this site is washed up. this board is no different.

Gonna try to let it go to 4k and send my oil in to blackstone, usually just change it at 3k.

>'03 F-150 7.5K miles, engine still perfect at 193K
>'01 320D 24K Km, it's my beater car, who cares
>'15 Monster 821 haven't changed yet, but factory says 15K Km or 12 months.

I change my oil once a month and I just steal oil from my shop for free teehee ;))) c:

My what? Is that the light that dings all the time?

5000. the minder light in the civic usually comes on at about 7500 but thats a bit much for my taste.

As often as the manufacturer and the engineers that designed the engine recommend the oil being changed.

Stop being asshats.

About once every three months...
>Tfw 1300+ miles a month

At least once a year

Going to change it next saturday.
14k kms with the same oil.

Dude get the fuck out of Veeky Forums. No one cares about your nigger faggot car.

Your dealer will take any chance to void it

Why would I change my oil? I just check the dipstick and the level never goes down so I don't add any more.

This is on my 2011 Miata that I bought new, up to about 50K now.

yeah u mad

bait

What do you mean? When I first got it I replace the oil with this high mileage mobile 1 full synthetic in a 5W40 (iirc). It last for 75K miles so I still have 25K to go until it needs changing again.

Quality.

Every 20k miles. 2002 A4 1.9tdi. Never had a problem.

That's every 6 months or so ofc, not per year.

Toyota's OEM synthetic is recommended at every 10k miles or 1 year, which I thought was a lot.

Every 3,000kms because i beat the absolute shit out of this 1J.

In normie shit, 10,000kms or 6 months with semi-synth

That's what it says on the owners manual for my car too. I just change it every 5k miles or so

Every 3k miles because I drive 100+ city miles a day and my oil is black by 3k miles.

>How often do you change your oil?
Corvette requires first oil change at 500 miles, but other lower-cost cars can go to the oil change indicator. To me that sounds like GM was willing to sacrifice the other cars a bit as compared to corvette owners.

I assume there will be some initial wear at the beginning of a new car's life, so I get an oil AND filter change. Hopefully if there are any metal shavings changing the filter will get rid of them before the oil filter bypass valve opens and lets a few bits swirl back into circulation. I switch to full synthetic of course. My GM dealer hates giving out any of those free oil changes since GM compensates the dealer far less than if the dealer charges full price for providing regular oi/filter changes. That's why my service advisors at Good Chevrolet in Renton Washington make it hard to get one by looking for ways to refuse to admit the car for the free oil/filter change. Their two bays are always full of full price customers instead.

At 1800 I got another oil change but that was so I could send the oil in for lab analysis. That way, future analysis will be able to refer to this first early oil as a reference point for all the changes that occurred.

Lab analysis can also tell you if you have slight coolant leaks well ahead of a gasket failure.

Once every 5-7,000 km because most of my use comes from town driving where it doesn't get to optimal running temps. This comes alongside the 1,000 km top-ups from my leaky sump gasket.

5W-30 as listed in the owner's manual.

>if you go through a lot of oil...can you just change the filter?

Yes and no. If your engine was using conventional oil, and you recently switched to a full synthetic that has a lot of detergent in it such as Pennzoil platinum ULTRA, then you probably still want some oil changes for the next few times. That's because any settled sludge at the very bottom of the oil pan will come out if it is near the drain hole.

To my knowledge, pennzoil platinum ULTRA is the one that cleans sludgey engines the best. Someone at BITOG forums did a time lapse showing how the dirty insides changed to become much cleaner over just one oil change to ULTRA. That is the ultra platinum full synthetic and not the regular platinum full synthetic.

if its got a small oil volume you can, my girlfriends Civic takes 3.5L of oil and burns a liter a week, we just change the filter once every 6 months thats it

my Chevy Silverado camper burns a litre a month but since it holds 6L i still dump the pan and change the filter every 8000km

5k miles with synthetic blend at the dealer. I tried the every 3k with full synthetic thing and ended up with holes in my block at 9k miles so forget that.

>My car is still under warranty, would changing my own oil void that?

NO. The Magnuson Moss Act created long ago by democrats, protects consumers against corporations requiring you to use only their products and services to maintain or supply their product. If they do so, then they must provide that stuff for free during the warranty period that they are otherwise invalidating.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

FTC Explanation of how it affects you:
consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance

Certainly, some corporations and lobbyists want Magnuson-Moss to be deregulated and replaced with something else that will stimulate jobs and improve profitability for companies. Or so they claimed in the past. The republicans deregulated Glass-Stegall (created by democrats) and we got Bush's meltdown as a result. Part of Glass-Stegall was re-implemented with the other parts blocked by republicans, but Ryan wants the replacement to be deregulated. I guess he wants to get on the gravy train the next iteration of "too big to fail" taxpayer bailouts where all the cheaters made a ton of money. The deficit spending went somewhere, and that was the rich peoples' greedy "too big to fail" hands.

>My car is still under warranty, would changing my own oil void that?
>Your dealer will take any chance to void it

As indicated at the Federal Trade Commission site, portions of the warranted car may be removed from coverage if the dealer can show that 3rd party servicing used a defective part or performed servicing incorrectly. One of the methods used to deny warranty coverage is that the car was NOT serviced at intervals indicated in the driver's handbook. The FTC says at their website to save all receipts and proof of servicing in case the manufacturer tries to deny you coverage based upon the fact that you didn't service the car properly (ignored service intervals).

Do not hand over your receipts for the dealer department manager to study later or those receipts may conveniently become lost. Your local dealer receives only standard LOW amounts of compensation from GM to perform warranty work. That is why the dealer prefers to keep their bays full of regular full charge work. Your local dealer is also unable to "pad" the warranty bill with unnecessary parts replacements and service fees since GM is the payer for warranty work. If the dealer is always busy, it would be to their profit advantage to deny you warranty coverage and force you to pay for repairs "out of warranty" even though the car is still in the first 3 years of bumper to bumper warranty. That is ruthless profiteering. The dealer enters into the computer the diagnosis that your car problem is out of warranty, so even if you go to another dealer, it will be denied when they look up your warranty repair reimbursement records on the GM network. Blame your ruthless dealer, err, stealership.

What is Veeky Forums's opinion of off brand oil and lubes?
pic related

Even Canadian Tire's cheap oil is made by Shell

>changing oil every 3k using synthetic caused holes in the block
>being this retarded
Yeah no.

>What is Veeky Forums's opinion of off brand oil and lubes?
Look up previous oil threads in Veeky Forums at the archives. It's all in those threads.

whenever the light comes on

£20 in oil is cheaper than £800 new van.

>How often do you change your oil?
I do that every 4000 miles or once per year whichever comes first with full synthetic. It's not that the oil is worn out (it isn't) but because oil fills up with impurities and even water moisture from blowby. It takes time to get the oil hot enough and run long enough to evaporate things like gasoline by products or moisture. I have a lot of short trips too, so by the time one year has gone by, I figure the small cost of the oil change is worth it. It seems to pay off as all the three previous cars I've had they have lasted to their "end of lifespan" time.

With basic maintenance done well, as long as the car doesn't have lemon parts in it, it seems to last. The first car I got my full use of and I gave that one away to someone who needed a new car but couldn't afford one. It's engine was a bit worn but it was my first new car. The 2nd was bought new and was given away after I had plenty of use and it's engine was still good and not burning much oil, but after 19 years, it was time for another car with more modern features. It was always waxed so its paint also looked new. I thought of selling it, but a 19 year old car, even if running well and looking near mind (zero dents, shines great, full clearcoat) is worth almost nothing to dealers.

The 3rd car is still doing well and has only had full synthetic since the beginning. As soon as I bought it new, I swapped out the OEM oil for full synth. As usual, dealer detailing put in a ton of orbital buffer swirl marks once the wax coat was removed before I applied sealant to the paint. I will maintain it like the 2nd car and it will go for many years unless there are lemon parts in it.

>Whenever the low oil light comes on, because it usually loses a quart before 3,000 miles (Porsche 944 Turbo)
I hope you top off at a fraction of a quart over the 3000 mile observation window rather than wait until it has been running a full quart low before adding oil.

Been using Supertech 5w-30 for 10 years and no problems.

tfw mine is silent

Every 15.000 kms in diesel engines.

guys if my car is high mileage should I use thicker oil for my next oil change? That's what my friend tells me to do. Car says 5w-20 on the cap, but he said to use 5w-30 for the next oil change. Car is a 2002 civic si at 160k miles

The recommended interval is 28000kms on my megane company car

She's running strong at 200 000kms

>Been using Supertech 5w-30 for 10 years and no problems.

The current SuperTech full synthetic (don't know about conventional) is made with base stocks from Valvoline. The additive package is different though. The choice of manufacturer can vary year to year based on what contracts that brand signs, so it might even be wise to not pay attention to who provides the base stock so as long as SuperTech's addititive package is reasonably the same year after year.