/hhg/ Hot Hatch General

A thread for our beloved econobox pocket rockets. Talk experiences, ask for advice and questions and generally shitpost about the Fiesta ST.

>'Back from Le Mans' edition
Of the two hot hatches on display out there - the Focus RS and the Civic Type-R - which do you prefer

>What is a "Hot Hatch"?
A Hot Hatch is a manufacturer produced, performance oriented variant of a standard hatchback, designed for improved handling, increased top speed, acceleration and generally enhance the driving experience.

>Are all Hot Hatches FWD?
No. Whilst most Hot Hatches are FWD, some are AWD or even RWD.

>Isn't FWD shit?
No. Just because you can't get the arse out by stamping on the accelerator doesn't mean you can't have fun.

>Aren't Hot Hatches just for Europoors?
No; with the launch of the Fiesta and Focus ST to joining the MS3 and Abarth in the US, it seems like the Hot Hatch is beginning to take off on the other side of the Atlantic, but Europoors definitely have more choice.

>Is the Fiesta ST actually good?
The Fiesta ST is one of the best small hot hatches on offer at the minute; so yeah they're pretty good.

Other urls found in this thread:

cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/667805149/overview/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Anyone keeping up with WRC 2016?

I just can't watch rally. It's one car driving fast on a road, there's no element of competition. Must be mad fun to do though

How are the $5K hot hatch suggestions in the OP? I doubt a CRX is really feasible by this point.

>FF

More ST's please

Not really sure what the US market has to offer outside of Hondas. Neon SRT4, Focus SVT?

Thinking of buying a FiST, but I don't really like any of the 5 colours they offer here on it. Wondering if I can get it in one of the standard Fiesta colours instead. Also I drove one expecting amazing things, but it wasn't everything Veeky Forums has hyped it up to be. Good fun, don't get me wrong but it was lacking a bit of that something my Clio had.

Our car roster for Le Mans; two FiSTs, a diesel Zetec and a Micra SR. Our RX8 didn't make it past Calais

Are you American? We've had Fiestas over in Europe for ages and while they're not bad cars, they're boring FWD commuter cars, 'performance' models included, and they always have been. Not surprised the new one is the same.

I have a question not covered in the first post.

What if someone has a coupe or sedan version of a car with an actual hot hatch variant. Like say an EM2 or ES1 Honda Civic (Hot hatch variant was the EP3).

American sport compacts under 5k:
Dodge Neon SRT4 (2003-2005, sedan)
Honda Civic Si (2002-2005, hatchback. Basically a 160 HP EP3)
Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged (2005-2007, coupe)
Saturn Ion Redline (2004-2007, 4 door coupe)
Ford Focus SVT (2002-2004, 2 door or 4 door hatchback)
Nissan Sentra SE-R (2002-2006, sedan)
Volkswagen Golf GTI (1999.5-2005, 2 or 4 door hatchback)
Volkswagen Jetta GLI (1999.5-2005, sedan)
Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo (1999-2005, hatchback)
Acura RSX Type S (2002-2006, hatchback. Literally a DC5 Integra Type R)

And that's just including 2000+ cars. If you go back through the 80's the list gets a lot longer, mainly thanks to Chrysler's turbo K-cars.

They would be welcome here, sure.

Ayyy

It's a ton of fun stock but becomes even more manic once you start modifying it.

what do you mean theres no competition?

you're racing against other drivers, and other manafacturers. you're car needs to endure more abuse then a typical circuit race, and you race on all types of road surfaces and weather condition (snow, rain, dry etc), not just a smooth tarmac curcuit.
plus some stages can be new/different (though not every event/stage is different then previous years)

a stage will have more variety in the types of corners then a curcuit race going around the same thing.

Hung up between a 2015 WRX or MK7 GTI.

>Better performance with an econoshit interior
>Slightly less good performance with an awesome interior

My fn2's wheels are curbed

Live in northern CA Looking at buying a Fiesta ST on or before 4th of July weekend,
What price should I aim for out the door on a fist with no add ons?
Might drive out of state to get one

If it's your DD, or you plan on taking it on trips, Golf. If it's your weekend hoon car, WRX.

I know they're competing, but it's not the same as watching cars physically fight for track space and race position right in front of your eyes. If they did rally cross on full rally tracks, that'd be the shit.

Base Fiesta with no options you should be able to get one OTD for under $20k, it's hard to get it for much less considering the used ones are holding value so well.

cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/667805149/overview/

A lot of people buy from Koon's because it's so cheap, you might be able to get an Out-the-Door (taxes, titling, fees included) quote from their internet sales guy and then shop that one around your local dealers to see if they'll match.

I think the absolute lowest OTD price I've seen on the ST is around $18.5k or so just for reference.

With correct shopping and rebates, under 20k for a new one. I got mine in November of last year right after thanksgiving. 2015 model, end of model year+ thanksgiving sale+ rebates and I was out the door in a base model for 18.5k

Haaaaaah what up instant

Sup dude, how's the Fiesta doing?

I need to brakes and brake fluid on mine pretty soon.

welp. everything is fine except for my front right tire. picked up a nail in the outer tread right next to the sidewall and these tires are too low profile for me to repair it. new tire should arrive today then I get to experience the joy of mounting and balancing. I also ordered my accessport last night, so I'm pretty excited for that.

Nice dude, I got a nail 2 days after getting my new tires mounted/balanced. I was so incredibly pissed, and it was very close to being irreparable but I lucked out.

Congrats on the AP, I'd recommend tuning from Tune+ if you're going to get custom tuned.

awesome thanks for the tip

i dont know what it is, but it seems to me that in the last few months tune+ has gained a ton of popularity.

Adam was popular when he was tuning for MAP (he also owned a Fiesta for a bit so that was cool), but he really took off when he started tuning the EcoBoost Mustang's. He tuned my car almost a year ago (E30, 93, 91, Economy tune) and I'll probably have him do my aftermarket turbo tune as well (whenever that finally happens).

I forgot my trip here. :(

Nice, a friendly hot hatch thread.

Fiestas look great, I bet the new 200hp version with a remap is fun as fuck.

This is my DD

Nice R, how much did that rob you? What's it like compared to the other top flight hot hatches?

>TFW you are in France and the only waste produced by your engine is baguettes.

I leased this one. Sold my R32 (pic related, took that as I accepted the money and walked away), leased this and bought a house so wasnt the best time to buy. I pay around £280 a month.

It is great. The interior just feels better than stuff like the Focus ST and it is faster. Compared to the S3 the drive is pretty much the same but the R comes with a lot more as standard and its cheaper.

Can have fun in it and yet I can get 40mpg on the motorway.

>FWD

Yawn

Are Imprezas considered 'hot' or just regular hatch

>you will never get a good retrofit option for HIDs in your fist

burgerland a shit

regular unless you did some crazy subaru lego swap mods

top kek

I'm split between wanting the Fiesta ST and a base WRX. I haven't gone for a test drive yet but I'm leaning toward the ST simply because I'll be able to get it for quite a bit cheaper, although the WRX is really appealing too. I'm in Canuckistan so both cars are up passed 30k after taxes and shit (before any bargaining though).

fiesta will feel significantly smaller. less power, more nimble feeling, and cheaper after market.
wrx base is obviously lacking in the accessories, and imo it's kinda worth the next level upgrade if you can get it for near invoice, but I imagine that's out of your price range. the main thing that bothers me about the base is no fogs. I'm sure awd would be nice for winters, but the fwd isn't terrible either. follow your heart fag

so there's literally been 0 mention of a '17 model year fiesta st huh?

The next trim level of the WRX mostly gets you nicer lights and I'm planning on replacing pretty much all of the lighting for around $1k probably, so cheaper than getting the next trim level, also don't care for a moon roof.

Is it worth going with the mounttune 215 package or just wait a little while to make sure the car isn't a lemon before going with the next one up and losing most of the warranty?

Well they are developing the '18 model year for early/mid '17 I think so it'll probably just be a rename with some really minor safety improvements that nobody ever notices

i could be in the market by this time next year, so things are starting to seem kind of awkward.

Hatches are chicks cars.
Hand in your man card

>on a cambodian underwater finger painting forum
>the authority on masculinity
alright bro

Yeah, even though I want to buy this year the Fiesta ST will have the new model out sometime next year and the WRX is likely to have a new design next year or the year after, especially since the 2017 WRX is literally exactly the same other than some upper trim options being available on the lower trims now

The ST200s are out for order over here.

How much fun can be had in a regular, non-ST Fiesta?

Lots. I had a 1.25 before my ST, and you can still have fun in it. It handled brilliant on the twisty roads, just lacked a bit of power.

Also, while I'm asking

Is a regular Fiesta the best handling non-hot hatch you can get in the states?

I'm a poor fag and want something that lets me pretend I have a hot hatch until I graduate school

Mazda 2 is probably worth a shout

It's very fun and nimble, not sure about best handling with the rear torsion beam, but it makes it work. The Focus is also supposed to be excellent, and the base version might be slightly more comfy than the base Fiesta.

Yeah the refresh is supposed to happen soon.

I personally don't care much for the MP215 package, you don't really get much and you're probably going to want more power after installing. But it is excellent if you're really worried about your warranty and want a little more than what''s given to you stock, it's not awful.

My biggest complaint is it's a one time use only product, you can't ever resell it or include it in a part out, and it's prohibitively expensive. I would get custom tuned after a few thousand miles making sure you don't have a lemon.

I want those damn 4.06:1 gears to put in mine the same time I do a mechanical LSD.

I do sort of thing I want the ST200

What about the other Mountune upgrade? the MR230?

How has reliability been so far? I haven't really seen any issues other than some hose clamp issues that all ecoboosts seem to have and the obvious rattles for a car of this price point.

Can anyone recommend a good winter dd? Something happy plowing through snow and salt that won't rust out in a year. I've been leaning toward a Mazda3.

It's fine, but I'd recommend getting a custom tune. Mountune's in-house tuner Randy is supposed to be excellent, and I believe you get his tuning services with the purchase of a Cobb AP through Mountune USA (if I recall).

There parts are high quality, I use their RMM and their front splitter. Their intercooler is a bit small for the aftermarket options, but still does a better job than stock.

I've had no issues with the '15 and I'm custom tuned with most bolt ons. I've only had to change the oil, and the tires were getting worn around 15k miles. Everything I've read about the '14 and '15 has been rock solid, I think the '16 might have an issue with the AC Condenser and has a few other minor differences from the previous years.

Currently sitting around 23k miles and I'm doing the brakes next.

Thanks for the answers m8.

Have you noticed any brake fade or really accelerated brake wear from the "torque vectoring"? If I really wanted to I could only disable that by turning off the ABS right?

Not really, the stock brakes are really good enough for the car (most autocrossers are sticking with the MotorCraft Fiesta ST pads since they are so good, over Hawk HPS 5.0 or similar). I honestly don't really notice the brake torque vectoring all that much driving it around town, and you can turn off/put into sport mode the stability control (which is what's really noticeable).

Changing the brakes/fluid at around 25,000 miles seems pretty reasonable for brake wear, and I don't drive it gently.

That sounds like a pleasant surprise, hopefully I'll be able to do a test drive next week and go from there. I've noticed pretty much all of the STs around my area were manufactured around August of last year so hopefully I can haggle the dealerships down a decent amount.

Any other GTI fags here or is it just FiST and FoST guys?

Got a Leon Cupra R essentialy a rebadged faster gti made by some cunt called pedro

Never heard of it, I'm guessing it's a Europe only kinda deal. What year? Do you like it?

Its a SEAT, spanish company owned by VW/Audi, mine is a 2005 plate. Its pretty damn good for what I paid for it, easy to find the parts as they are almost identical under the skin barring the extra 40bhp, more room inside.

I've got a mkvi. I like it.

Who here /ep3/? Is it preferable to the Celica GTS for DD and will it be fun to mod? I found one for dirt cheap at 255,000 miles on it

Anyone else on Veeky Forums fall for the wrx/sti hatch meme?

:3c

Is this considered a hot hatch or a SUV?

Hot Hatch. It's mostly Clio RS underneath.

My fellow GTI bros

It's considered retarded

Are there any hatches better then BMW E36 318ti's?
Nope.
RWD, Light, comfy, old school bmw before they got pigfat, legendary fun, RWD.
Best hatch period.

>Pic related, 318ti masterrace

Reppin' the veedubs...

can the 1.8t's join?

that can't be right.

aren't some of the models not hatches?

You can tag along little brother.

All the E36 and E46 Ti cars were hatchbacks.

I've just noticed this, what the fuck were you drinking when you put that GB sticker on?

We stuck it to the bumper as normal originally, but it came off after 30 minutes and wasn't sticky any more, so we duct taped it to the plastic so the adhesive wouldn't remain on the paint.

Well, you are forgiven. Gotta look after that paint you'see.

Nice, someone who hasn't curbed the shit out of their Detroits. That list doesnt include me unfortunately.

That's a lift back coupe.

So, I'm torn between buying a used Twingo 133 as a daily and a used Cayman S as a weekend car, or getting a single new hot hatch, like a Megane Trophy or Civic Type-R to suit both purposes in one. What do?

Civic Type R

Hot hatches are the ultimate compromise vehicles

Literally why would you buy a Fiesta instead of a Mustang unless you were poor or your wife didn't think the Mustang would be "safe" or have enough room for her and her son

I'd love to, but I'm poor and I heard they understeer like fuck

Personally, I wanted a light vehicle with four doors for convenience. I wanted good gas mileage, a reliable daily, something that I could park conveniently but still shred on the back roads/mountains. I wanted something that could become powerful over time with some care and dedication, but you wouldn't immediately recognize as a fast car.

Fiesta fit all of these needs, and it's still quicker than your Mustang. :)

>it's still quicker than your Mustang
kek, delusional poorfag

also
>front
>wheel
>drive

You're right, you would actually have to have a car for mine to be quicker than yours. :(

>Actually buying a mustang
If you are going to troll, atleast put a little effort into it. If you truly fell for the RWD meme, I'm sorry friend. Next time just do a little research before making a car purchase. I'm sure there are lots of forums that would love to help! :)

ok keep telling yourself your econoshit with a body kit is special

loving these passive aggressive "totally not butthurt" smileys

As long as you keep renewing your bus pass! One day you'll save up enough to have a shit box.

at least i don't think a hatchback is a sports car

who here did?

the tripshit who got butthurt

>faster than a Mustang

It isnt right unless

A) He is trolling
B) That is some fake shit version
C) Americans are being ripped off

Pic related

The answer is C.