Car st/o/ries

Tell us everything. Cars you have owned, driven, built, raced, stunted, crashed, fuckups, fails and cool shit you have done or seen.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vBTfj2lN6sQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

One time I was doing handbrake slides in an empty parking lot in my parents car. The very last one I planned to do I misjudged and slid the back wheel hard into a curb. The rear axle was misaligned and the wheel was completely bent. I told them I hydroplaned and we had it repaired. Needless to say I never did that shit again

>go to Tokyo with friends
>hit up Daikoku PA for a bit
>pretty dead so decide to go over to Tatsumi PA and see what's there
>friend of a friend is up there driving a new M6 press car
>also a M4 press car
>"you guys want to do the loop? I want to show my Japanese friends how quick this M6 is"
>>fuck yes I do
>get in our cars and get ready to go
>I get behind the M6, friend behind me also in his R32, the M4 at the rear
>come out to the straight and M6 books it
>I follow suit struggling to keep up
>come around first left bend and M6 is stuck behind traffic, so I come up and wait behind him
>based Jap drivers let faster cars go by so we all take off
>I can't keep up with him on the straights, but I catch him in the turns
>staying steady 120+kmh making lane changes and carving turns
>driving like complete assholes but I don't care because I'm having too much fun
>another friend that is riding with me sits silently in the seat, just staring forward as we weave in and out around slower traffic
>final left bend
>dumps out to straight 4 lane road before coming back to the PA
>M6 takes off and I do the same
>bump off lame 180kmh speed limiter
>jump back over to exit, pull into the PA
>park and get out, hands shaking
>bullshit for a bit and check out the M6 some, can't believe he gets to do that stuff with a $100,000+ car
>pack up and leave because curfew

Fun time

My post from another thread

>summer, like 2008
>hot as balls, inside playing vidya with friends
>mom runs into the computer room (connected to the front door) saying "oh no no no no no!"
>hear crash and crunching noise
>look outside, neighbor's shitty 2006 grand caravan is on top of our deck, wooden railing destroyed, side of family car has huge gash along the side of it
>see their mogoloid second born (abt 6 or 7 years old at the time) get out of minivan and run back across the street to neighbor's house
>what happened was he has been fucking around in their Grand Caravan and somehow released the parking break
>neighbor's driveway is directly across from our so minivan rolled straight down their drive into ours, took a chunk out of a tree and sideswiped our family's ford freestyle
>kid was found hiding under his bed
>best part, the mom runs out babbling incoherent shit, and flops down on our front lawn, not even unconscious just laying there, not making sure everyone's okay, not checking to see where her kid is
>our mother yells at her to get the fuck up, she goes back into her house
>somehow they end up with a buttload of insurance money, use it to buy a 2006 Dodge Journey
>we get jack shit and a broken deck fence, scarred car, and our once beautiful japanese maple tree is now a cripple
>I found a four leaf clover that day

>bought 1988 Nissan KingCab years ago
>$650, sat on a farm for 5 years
>started up right away, drove it home a couple hours
>spent time fixing it
>drove the fuck out of it and took it drifting
>go to air up the tires one day, see the frame is nearly broken in half
>fugg
>continue driving it, nobody will take the liability of patching the frame
>one day on the way home from work the frame breaks in half
>drive home in 2nd gear with the truck sagged in half and the broken frame yanking the E-brake cable causing the rear wheels to lock up
>have to sell it for scrap
>still miss that truck

bought a Skyline after that then my Toyota Crown but god damn do i miss that rusty piece of shit KingCab

I don't know man, at least the mk6-7 volkswagons have been good to me. My passat and jetta have made it to around 130k being driven hard, (women), hard throttle when cold, mountain decents with heavy breaking and downshifts, without issue. That said they are maintained. Not just the basics but dsg flushes, oil change at 6k vs 10k (tdi).

Wtf? How did you not sue them for damages?

>Work ad a valet at Dover Downs
>Man with a Buggati pulls up
>The car is so nice, I barley touch the gas and it flies
>Buggati driver comes out and asks for his car
>I bring it to him
>He gives me a dollar

This is why I spit in cars, this rich assholes only gave me a fucking dollar.

House is owned by asshole grandmother, our family rents it, she got all 14k in insurance, none of it went to repairing the deck and fence.
We got 500 bucks for the car but decided not to bother buffing out the scratch.

>get payed for a bullshit job doing literally nothing all day
>demand even more money despite already getting payed
fucking americans

We handle tipping differently here sir

>you have money therefore you must give me some!
Thanks for confirming that low income people cannot be trusted in any way. If I like the car a lot I wouldn't even let you subhumans touch my property

get a real job you piece of shit or finally accept that wealthy people don't tip
everyone else knows and accepts it

I'm not him

well my bad then
i just hate people who demand to get tipped

From what I understand in anywhere that's not the US tipping is more of a convenience than it is a courtesy, like if your restaurant bill came to 46 pounds you'd leave a 50 pound note to avoid making change. In America it's more of an insurance payment so that your food doesn't get spat in next time you eat at a restaurant, or in such a case, the vallet doesn't disrespect your car.
Also job positions in America where tipping is a courtesy like waiters and vallets, they tend to have lower base wages, and make most of their pay from tips.

Source: youtube.com/watch?v=vBTfj2lN6sQ

>shitty renters
>can't afford house
>sponge off grandma
>can't even use insurance to fix shitty car
>mad about it all

You could only be more perfectly poor trash if it was actually a double-wide and not a house.

Where did I say I was mad? It's just a ridiculous thing that happened, out of a whole situation that's ridiculous.

This family living across from us is the anomaly, we live in a perfectly normal middle-class neighborhood with regular town ordnances concerning property standards, everyone living here makes at least 60k a year, I haven't the faintest clue how these people can exist here. Their house looks like shit, their lawn looks like shit, they look like shit. The dad is 500lbs, the mom's 400lbs, their 6 kids all look exactly the same with round faces and fat cheeks with no chin, and all of their names start with "J".

It's more of a morbid curiosity than it is a grievance against them, I just can't explain how or why they're here and why they're the way they are.

Eurofags baffle me that they can't understand tipping is meant as an incentive for the waiter to provide good service. If they don't, they don't get a good tip if they do they do ect. I guess in a land where as long as you do the bare minimum the government will give you everything they need that's a tough concept to learn.

>implying American's actually tip based on service

Maybe that used to be true, but it's certainly not true anymore.

Tipping is just a way to offset wages onto the customer and off the employer in America.

Thing is the only reason we tip is because the employer doesn't pay even pay them (minimum wage or right at it) and the rest of the pay is put off into the customer to make up. It's just a way for employers to be cheapskates. Be mad at the employer for paying slave wages. Not the customer who has already payed for a service and didn't give a a handout for doing a job you should already be payed for.

Ah I wasn't ripping on him user just having banter, you can't know everything about another country's culture.

Fucking this.

Tips should be reserved for exceptional service, the only reason I tip almost always is because there's a good chance the server is making $3/hr or less

Not sure how we [ok, the previous generation or two] let that happen, but whatever.

lolwat
that is exactly how it is in yurostan
the murrican system is what's fucked

Your bill is reflective of the cost of the food, chef, and other running expenses. Tipping the waiter is an incentive for them to do well. I know plenty of good waiters who make more then any other employee because they make the effort to do a good job and not be lazy.

>It's just a way for employers to be cheapskates
It's also "just a way" for your food prices to be lowered. If you pay workers more, or the prices of creating your goods are increased because of taxes for example, your prices will adjust to put the burden on the consumer. There is not a single instance where this doesn't happen.

Also, the law states that if the waiter does not make at least minimum wage (which is unlikely considering you can easily make far above minimum wage on tips alone) the owner of the business is required to make up the difference.

No.. the employer would offset the cost with price increases, so it doesn't effect them. Tipping is in the best interest of the business and the customer. It gives an incentive for workers to be good at their job. Tipping also has the benefit of allowing small businesses to remain competitive.

>tripfags in charge of not being retarded
if a server doesnt make minimum wage the business is required by federal law to offset the difference. please educate yourself.

tipping in the service industry is good for the consumer.

Right, by offsetting the employees wage onto the customer, and off the business. Exactly what I said.

'Food prices' are artificially lower since we're expected to pay 20% on top of whatever the bill finally ends up at. I'd rather food dishes just be 20% more expensive, personally.

And if your waiter doesn't make minimum (after tips, you left that part out since they make $2/hour normally) then you have a lot more problems than the $5 you'll have to pay out to make up the difference.

Maybe if tips were actually based on performance and not a moral obligation they would be good for the consumer, but they honestly have no reflection on performance in America any longer. Granted, a good server will make more on average then a crappy one over a period of time, that doesn't mean a good server is guaranteed a larger tip every time.

You're such an autistic spazz

Entitled fuckwit bernie sanders supporter.

You have a job and you still feel the need to get paid with a tip.

The funny thing is they're not renting and you are.

>winter storm ended
>take 69 Mercury Cougar out for a spin
>huge church parking lot
>about 3" of virgin slush covering ice
>start doing spins
>sideways slides
>literally a wall of slush splashing over the car like a wave
>lock the front, spin the back, tail of slush spraying everywhere
>drive off to the store proud of myself
>driving back notice two cop cars now sitting in parking lot

Forgot to mention that they actually are, the dad never left home, he raised his entire family in his mother's house. She herself is no better, looks like fuckin large marge from pee wee's big adventure except uglier and way fatter.

>said the guy living with his mom in grandma's house

I'm 20 and in school

Besides that we're working on getting a mortgage on our house, or moving out, bitch grandma is liquidating her assets after defaulting on her loan.
How she didn't manage to pay off a 50k 10 year old debt is beyond me

>93 300zx TT, bunch of aftermarket
>Stalls unexpectedly time to time due to bad IACV
>One night, backroads
>Cloudy, pitch out
>Going up hill at approx 130mph
>Stall
>...
>No electrical
>No power steering
>No lights
>Frantically attempt to restart car
>Third try
>Catch it in time to pass squad car
>Motor on, lights on
>Fly by
>Disco lights
>Disappeared into farm road, lights off
>Pull into strangers driveway
>Hearts at fully capacity
>20 mins, 30 mins
>Nothing
>Drive home as silently as possible

I fixed the IACV that weekend

Its not like they would of have shot you because of the lights and the speed, user.

Didn't consider that actually, I, at the least probably would have been tackled/tased/maced and arrested

I love how you just keeping trying to pick user apart so you can feel better about yourself.

>be 16
>drove dad's CR-V
>turn into a party bus
>strip out rear seats, replace with shag carpet
>budget af stereo but it bangs
>develop love for miatas
>really fucking want a miata
>work ass off at Waffle House for ~8 months
>finally have enough for a flawless NA
>buy car
>best day of my life
>learn to drive manual, took patience but worth it
>promise myself I'll be careful and not drive like an idiot
>crash into a ditch 3 days later
>radiator, bumper, windshield, and dash all fucked up
>heart broken
>tell myself it was a learning experience
>Everything's fixed now except the bumper (damage wasn't too bad and too lazy to fix)
>drive like a grandma now

You probably would have had your license revoked. So, it's a small chance for freedom or get screwed royally over.

Frenchfag here

>Bought my first car in the current year -1 in february
>1.6 16V Renault Laguna I estate
>only owner a couple of grand parents, 98kkms on the clock, some dents here and ther but eh full maintainance record
>tfw 107hp
>pretty slow but cruising 140kph without any problem with 5 persons and their luggage, so not really a problem
>dat boot space
>one night in May, get shitfaced with friends
>some friends start an argument
>decide to leave
>decide to go breath some fresh air, go for a midnight ride still pretty drunk
>40km ride in the countryside, no problem whatsoever, driving pretty enthusiastically, chirping tires here and there
>head home
>last roundabout before my apartment
>go full Jean Ragnotti
>plow right through it
>wrap car around a lamp post
>limp home, car is a write off.

>fast forward to July
>tfw no car for two monthes, been looking to a lot of cars, none properly maintained
>find new ad for a pristine Citroën Xantia 1.8 16V, 112hp, 74kkms
>two owners since new, full history
>test drive it on some tite mountain roads, rides like a dream
>full hudropneumatic suspension
>buy it on the 14th of July
>since then, did 14kkms in it in mind blowing comfort

So happy with this car. In the meantime, I got to see a friend's diesel Merc shit out its injectors and then its head gasket but hey german reliability y'know

>captcha choose all images with pickup trucks

My first car was bought by my father as a gift.
I didn't want a civic or focus or something boring because I'm hardheaded and I want something different I could learn to work on.
I picked a 1984 Camaro Z28 on craigslist and bought it for 800 dollars, from a lady that had been living in it for the past 6 week and needed the money to make her first rent payment.
Nothing but the engine and transmission worked, the t-tops leaked, the suspension was shot, and it had over 300,000 miles.
I did a few things here and there but eventually sold it for 1500 and actually made a profit.

I used that money to buy a 1200 dollar 1997 Ford Thunderbird, and it was the biggest pain in the ass car I have ever owned. camshaft position sensor, fuel pump, jumped timing, ABS quit, and 30 other things started going wrong for no reason. Sold it for 1000 just to get rid of it.

While I had the thunderbird I bought another car, a 1983 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight. It drank fuel like nothing else and had AC, also one of the comfiest cars I've ever driven.

I bought a 1982 Datsun 280zx as a project for 600 dollars and replaced the clutch.
Never drove it once because I was fiddling with vacuum hoses, and then I got a great offer for my olds so I sold it.
Datsun had no keys, switchboard with switches for everything, no radio, no heat or ac.
It was somebody's budget track car.
Found some Z31 seats at a junkyard and bought some carpet and did the interior (pic related)

After owning the datsun and sweating to death for a year I sold it to some random mexicans for 1000 and decided to go get something newer and comfy, so I bought a baby blue 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. I put many miles on it and it never went wrong, not even a dead battery
I found a 4 door 1969 Ford Fairlane 500 for 2000 dollars and went to see it, It had no gas tank and the guy swore up and down it just needed new tie rods to drive, after I bought it I found out the whole front frame was damaged and If I wanted to fix it properly it would cost about as much as I paid for the car.
I ended up regretfully selling the car for 1100 dollars, and actually told the buyer what was really wrong with it.

I stayed away from projects for a year before coming across a 1979 Ranchero GT in someones yard, It didn't have a for sale sign but the guy was out there in the yard so I asked about it. I ended up buying it for 2000 the next day. I used it to haul lumber, trash, materials, and everything that fit in the back. I used it more than most people use their trucks.
I put late model mustang billets on it and some stripes to help it look less ugly, and I guess it looked better than it did.
Sold it for 2500 after keeping it a few months.

I then found a 1987 Mustang LX for 4000 in the next town, and I never owned a foxbody and I was really wanting another manual car.
It had a 306 stroker and it was pretty fast, until the ECU went and after I replaced it the car never felt the same. He must have had a flashed ECU or something similar. Sold for 4000.

All my friends were getting new cars, and it convinced me to give up my comfy DD mercury and go get my current DD, a 370z. It's a fun car to drive but there are two seats so space is limited with friends and family.

To resolve this I started looking for a second car like a suburban or wagoneer or something spacious that would be fun to work on, and I ended up finding a 1965 Ford Falcon station wagon. With a 4 bbl 302 cammed with headers.

I bought it for 1200 dollars on the 4th of july, and it had been sitting since 1997 when the previous owner died.
I bought a disk brake conversion for it right after I bought it, and after installing it I found out the original 14 inch mags no longer fit over the brakes. So it sat on bricks for a while.
While it was on bricks I replaced the fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel pump, and rebuilt the carburetor. I replaced the entire ignition system including the starter, plug wires, and rotor button.
I replaced the radiator and hoses and thermostat and temp switch.
I replaced both lower control arms, sway bar end links, and put new shocks all around.
Replaced the headlight switch, got the blinkers and wipers wired up, rebuilt the heater box, and wired up a cigarette lighter.
Bought some cheap cragar soft 8s from summit to get it off bricks so how it drove.
Some big things left to tackle it the slipping c4 trans and the cowl rust. As soon as I deal with the cowl and can put this carpet in and make the interior pretty.

That was everything.

Why does it need those hood pins? Is it aftermarket or something?

Otherwise neat retro car, I like the unnecessarily large headlights

Holy shit that interior was pretty. Shame it was a 280 and not a 24.

>370z

Why not a 350? Just because its not new enough?
AFAIK those things work so that you can use a hood that doesn't have the entire hinges.