Cracked wind screen

Hey guys im at the good old window repair place getting my windshield replaced.
How many of you fuckers drive around with cracked windshields?

i'd only replace my windshield if I was selling the car or if I was getting it inspected.

But why? You like looking at broken glass?

I replace a cracked windscreen asap. Its a structural component

>structural component
Ive heard this before.
But how much does it REALLY do?

My windshield cracked from stress on a brand new Hyundai. Argued with the dealer for 3 months to get it repaired. The crack is where the wipers sit, I dont see it. The crack settled after about 2 weeks when it reached the other edge.

I dont feel like going out of my way to drop off the car, or risk those fuckers scratching up my dashboard. Its been like 6 months, no new cracks.

Vs not being there, or being heavily fractures. It keeps the roof from wobbling. I've seen fucker drive around with multiple spider cracking. Sometimes a single crack will split, so that's when the glass is being stressed. But if the crack does not continue to grow, its fine.

Yes, you should replace it if its in your field of view, and the glass can chip around it, but its nothing bad.

That was the Gerber Glass guy

My car had a crack in the windshield when I bought it three years ago. Still haven't changed it and it's expanded a little bit. I'll replace it eventually.

my windshied is cracked in the same place, along the bottom. cracked about 6 years ago, its been okay ever since

I just have a chip on my windshield just below the passenger wiper. You can't see it from the inside.

Drove from Chicago to Florida during winter with no problems but during my first night in Florida my windshield cracked pretty badly. According to the place that replaced it, it was the humidity. Bizarre, though

Probably a stone you didn't see. I used to drive Chicago to Miami all the time and the roads down there have lots of rocks and shit on them.

I drove through a few bad storms and did about 20 miles on poorly paved Alabama back roads and it seemed fine then, the actual crack happened while I was parked and eating dinner. I rented a vacation house with some friends and the ~20 ft road to it and the driveway were all pebbles so that could have been it. Wish I had realized that sooner, I could have gotten the owners to pay for it

>driving close behind a dump truck on a shitty road

I got a crack on the drivers side right in front of where I sit for the last 4 years. Its fucking shit and thank god I finally have a real job and I can afford to get the damn thing fixed next weekend.

Why would they pay for it?

Fix it before it spreads

My mk4 gti windshield cracked along the wipers as well

No water gets in and the crack goes all the way from my Vin to the passenger wiper motor

My windshield is cracked all the way across but has'nt gotten any worse in 3 years.

As long as it doesn't 'obstruct the driver's view' it's perfectly legal.

Windshields are expensive and difficult to install, I will only replace one after the windshield falls out on my lap.

Mine was only $160 to replace.
I know they arent all the same price. But its hardly expensive.

Private road, not well maintained, lots of trash from parties. I doubt they would but it could be worth asking. Wasn't too expensive to have a new windshield put on, either way

A cracked windshield just draws unwarranted attention:

"A Port Authority cop noticed a cracked windshield on the red, neon green and black Dodge truck. Officer John Basil stopped the vehicle at the New Jersey toll plaza around 7:40 a.m. and peered into a window.

"He saw a loaded magazine for a gun and ordered everyone out .

"When the driver, Dean Smith, 53, of Zionsville, Pa., got out, Basil spotted a loaded .45-caliber semiautomatic handgun on the front seat, police said.

“The driver was sitting on a loaded .45, so that opened the door to everything else,” said Joseph Pentangelo, a Port Authority police spokesman.

"A search turned up five pistols, an AR-15 assault rifle, a shotgun, four knives, 10 loaded clips of ammunition and a military-grade helmet."

Depends on how new the car is. Or if I already bought it used.

If it's an older car (most of the depreciation has already happened), I'll just leave it be until a cop makes me fix it. Odds are good most of them have better things to do than issue fix-it tickets.

If it's a newer car and it still has quite a bit of book value left in it, yeah, I'll get it replaced.

>How many of you fuckers drive around with cracked windshields?

If the crack is large and visible, you have to fix it ASAP or some police or state trooper will see it and give you a "FIX IT" ticket. Some insurance policies will fix windshields with no deductible for just stone chips.

>Windshields are expensive and difficult to install,
False, they are one of the cheapest physically large things on a car to replace due to commodity pricing and competition. I replaced my windshield for $220 after tax (seattle, washington state area). I got estimates as high as $600 though from the Chevrolet stealership. Stealership prices suck. They are the last resort.

Be sure to save receipts. It used to not be the case, but more delearships seem willing to alienate new car owners by finding ways to invalidate that 3 year new car bumper to bumper warranty by demanding receipts proper maint was done on certain things they know only they can fix. That's because they want to avoid doing it under warranty since GM only gives them a small fee but if they invalidate the warranty and perform the same repair for you out of warranty, their profit is huge.

>No water gets in and the crack goes all the way from my Vin to the passenger wiper motor

If it cracked all the way across at the bottom, and a crack then occurred all the way across at the top, couldn't air pressure when you go faster than 70MPH finish cracking the windshield and push it into the cabin? I'm just wondering why the government is so anal about fixing all cracked windshields due to safety.

>I'll just leave it be until a cop makes me fix it.
>Odds are good most of them have better things to do than issue fix-it tickets

If he just gives you a warning, it costs you nothing. But if you get ticketed, you'll have to pay the ticket off too.

Cracks never seem to be all the way through the windshield but on the outside layer. I've never had a big crack though. The crack is maybe two inches.

Windshields are two pieces of glass laminated together.
The laminate is to prevent shattering so glass wont fly into a drivers face.
The two layers is to pevent water from entering the vehicle, to protect the laminate, and to add rigidity