/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

DDX Vid Edition youtube.com/watch?v=FDyx59M9fm0

>Next Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

>Next Game Jam (Lewd -- Blueboard rules still apply)
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2016

>Lewd Jam Collabs
docs.google.com/document/d/1K9wlzcJntyOCV3KLvRcvllZ2ZUnGgrDtiwPdMLlw5XQ/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sm0Pxz0uq-62L46TdXmKisynbhLI_by-pLNlcgo4B8M/edit?usp=sharing

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ

>Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

itch.io/jam/agdg-lewd-jam
opengameart.org/content/magical-theme
youtube.com/watch?v=3VrRv0nVz-g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

first for oop is shit.

You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets

really makes you think

Ludum Dare Progress. Added sword weapon, you'll be able to choose a weapon before a fight.

he is, he got banned on discord chat. he is actually a very nice person. Attention whore fag, but a pleasent one. he got banned after a hysterical show. 7/10 i would talk to her again. her because she asked nicelly to be called that way.

rotatedev is genuinely a nice person.

but I think boards.Veeky Forums.org/reddit/ is more his thing

I'm the nicest person here

I don't post the game till I done the steam making of movie. :P

He says some very rude things

>rotatedev is genuinely a nice person.
If he took some antipsychotic drugs he might be tolerable.

Nerds are super mean, really
that's all it is

Here's the actual agdg jam.
itch.io/jam/agdg-lewd-jam

thanks

i'd disagree if it wasn't filled with shit like Minions Run and all that shit. Making a game with a limited control scheme is fun, though.

Is this better, dyou think? I'm going to put a white border around the player so he always stands out soon

Fuck you I'm the nicest person you piece of shit

>tfw I pretend to be nice but when I don't post progress I am the meanest bully

No.

whoops, replied to the wrong fella there

>someone actually went and made a second lewd jam page
>it's going to get three or four submissions and ignored, the same way every New Thread made after the first New Thread is ignored
>one or two anons will continue to insist that the first jam page isn't legitimate and rely on people not posting archives of the page or past threads as their proof
>their pushing of the second lewd jam page will be continuously ignored
>the salt will be tremendous

more background work, it was also suggested to add some kind of better color fade to the scenery and it worked out pretty well in my opinion
i'm considering making another tool to streamline the process of arranging stages more, but it's hard to tell how much time would it take and how much would it help, demoday is around the corner

It's been a while since I posted progress here, but I added a new enemy.

What does the CC license, "ShareAlike" mean? If I build upon the material, that also has to have the same license. Okay, but what does building upon mean here? Does the game which uses the track count?

Looks fantastic

>you can use existing code
>you can't use existing assets

this is what's wrong with Ludum Dare, instead of focusing on what makes my game special i'd have to spend the week-end re-drawing/re-modeling the wheel with my shit artistic skills, no fucking thanks

The first one turned into a normie jam. Sorry, but it's no longer associated with agdg.

So if someone were to tell PCGamer and Lewdgamer that we moved the jam page from the old one to this new one, would you still flip and disown it?

Yeah, a game including the track counts. That license is a "viral" license, which means that every piece of work derived from it has to include the license.

The MIT license is another open source license that is not viral. You can remove the license when you include it in your projects.

>tfw your code is perfect but it is still not working the way you want it to so it must be the engine's fault

I created the OP. Didn't include the new jam because it got less votes than the original. Sorry, but you've to convince more people that this is the One True Jam.

JUST ONE MORE PERSON AND LEWD JAM IS AT 100

looks fantastic, make sure you make each level have smooth transitions throughout, like from street to park to lake, etc etc. I always thought the backgrounds are integral to getting a feeling of flow in run n gun games, shit like the third level of Contra 3 did it amazingly.

aw sheet cybernator x blast corps.
looks great, not sure about the constant dashing, maybe he should just dash along the floor automatically like bowser in melee or something

Since the second one was smart enough to make it an adgd only jam, any outsider would likely stick with the first one.

Party creator progress is slow. I added this as background music for the main menu though
opengameart.org/content/magical-theme

Thanks for the explanation!

it would certainly create some spicy drama that might even be picked up by those sites. however, the first jam has a life of its own by now. unless the first page's creator redirects to the new jam,

There you go

Sweet. Which game?

How the FUCK do I stop it so I don't have to reimport new animations from Blender then re-put everything back into the animation?

Can't I just fucking replace the ones already in there?

Why the fuck do I have to replace EVERYTHING.

Is there something I'm missing?

You don't know if those votes we're by nodevs or not. Just include both next time.

How do I make a song that isn't annoying as hell in 2 hours or less with no prior knowledge of music?

thank you

Anyone know how to make a timeline animation in photoshop but treat it as if it were frame by frame? Trying to animate to music and all online tutorials are more about vector based art.

using unreal by the way

What the fuck does that even mean? How is it ever going to be possible to discern a "nodev" and an "yesdev" in a poll? Seems like a stupid excuse to keep pushing this shitty purist jam.

>not sure about the constant dashing
There will be less dashing once I add other enemies and the actual platforming sections are in, but I'm still going for a run&gun Megaman Zero approach. Still, the plan is to have customizable parts and thus different dashes, I can add mecha skate legs in the future

I don't understand the issue

Having used photoshop for animation i can tell you this:
DON'T
It's absolutely terrible. Download clipstudio paint, it has a way better animation system.

I import Animations from blender to replace old ones since I've made them better.

Then I have to delete all of the old ones and the purple/pink animator file and then add all my animations back into the Animation blueprint.

How can do this quicker?

Thanks, glad you like it!

What do you mean by "re-put everything back into the animation?"?

Right click the animation file and click reimport

Or do it from inside the animation editor at the top

FL Studio.

You don't, which is why the poll is unreliable. Sorry for a wanting an agdg jam just like every other jam that happened before.

But why? I don't really wanna learn a new program. Also sailor's coast dot sea arr is down.

I can replace animations with no issues. I don't know why you can't.

Replacing current animations (walk, idle, run etc.) with new ones that I just imported.

Replace? How, what do you mean by this?

>You don't, which is why the poll is unreliable.

As opposed to you, a random user that we should totally trust.

>But why? I don't really wanna learn a new program.
CSP has much better workflow for animation.
You make a new canvas and you have a timeline and you can animate frame by frame without messing with layers like photoshop. Even has built-in exports for gif or a sequence of images.

nice, you seem to know what youre doing

working on my Ludum Dare entry if anyone wants to watch

twitch/vandiest

Reimport them with the same name.

thanks, i very much agree with the background part and these will be given a great focus

Can you stop being a cancer about the fucking jam please. Take the politics and go to a fucking Clinton rally if you like masturbating about ideology and "being in the right camp" so fucking much.

If you have to throw a tantrum like a fucking child every time any event is arranged about being our special little club then it's better if there's no jams or demo days at all, there's enough recurrent shitposting topics already.

You made the OP and voted no. Why should we take your word?

PROGRESS!

I extracted data from the feedback people sent, using the small survey at the end of each level. Pic related, the closer the values are to 100%, the better.

(it's for my game God is a Cube, which is a puzzle game with currently 51 levels in the alpha youtube.com/watch?v=3VrRv0nVz-g )

I'm gonna give a few explanations to explain why surveying tools (by asking directly people) are great to make your game better.

Checking the data from the last 6 months, it looks like people really like the levels, except for a few levels too difficult (high red spike) or too easy (low red spike). I created a "satisfaction" indicator (bottom chart) by averaging the fun, interest and right difficulty ratings for each level. The overall satisfaction is really good with an average of 87%.

As you can see, the first 21 levels have less good values, mainly due to the fact that developers find those levels boring.
But I added a panel at the start of the game asking people who already know programming to start at level 22. The next version should have better values, by letting only beginners play this part.

Why the 3 curves? It's really important to have more than one factor to judge the gamers satisfaction.
By example, Level 31 is really difficult (123% difficulty) but people find it interesting (100%) and fun (97%).
On the other hand, Level 41 is even more difficult (135% difficulty) and people find it as interesting (100%), but far less fun (80%). Typically, that's the kind of level where I will add a few runes (the solution will be partly completed) so people can more easily find the solution. It should make the difficulty easier and the fun better, while not impacting the interest rating.

(1/2)

How'd you do the gradient? Fog or another shader?

>just like every other jam that happened before.
we've had plenty of non agdg-exclusive jams before

>if anyone wants to watch
no.

HARD WORK AND GUTS

(cont) (2/2)
On the values themselves, the interest and fun ratings were a simple boolean (fun / not fun) with average values ranging between 0% (not fun) and 100% (fun). Because it wouldn't bear sense to ask people if a level is "too much interesting" or "too much fun".
On the other hand, the difficulty rating needs to check if levels are too easy or too hard, so there are three values (0, 1 and 2) ranging between 0% (no difficulty at all) and 200% (insanely difficult).

The satisfaction is calculated by taking an average between fun (0-100%), interest (0-100%) and how far difficulty is from 100%. Which means that a 150% difficulty (too hard) will be considered as bad as a 50% difficulty (too easy).

Here is the formulae:
((100 - ABS(difficulty-100)) + interest + fun) / 3
>ABS stands for "absolute value", ABS(x) = x, ABS(-x) = x

Examples:

- difficulty 50, interest 98, fun 99
( (100 - ABS(50-100)) + 98 + 99 ) / 3
= ( (100 - ABS(-50)) + 98 + 99 ) / 3
= ( (100 - 50) + 98 + 99 ) / 3
= 82.33% satisfaction

- difficulty 125, interest 98, fun 99
( (100 - ABS(125-100)) + 98 + 99 ) / 3
= ( (100 - ABS(25)) + 98 + 99 ) / 3
= ( (100 - 25) + 98 + 99 ) / 3
= 90.66% satisfaction

In conclusion, when working on a game, rather than just asking "do you like it?", it's far much better to ask several questions, especially because you want to know what could be deceiving for your players.

This kind of survey allows you to find what is wrong in a level or a part of your game (the difficulty? the lack of fun? no interest?), while still allowing you to have a way to know if people are globally satisfied.

Note: I would like to say that putting a survey at the end of each level is an idea I took from Infinifactory (by the guy who made SpaceChem), with its author's blessing.

My vote is just one vote. You're not taking my word, the picture you're looking at is the aggregate of the community.

in the new webm it's the fog; sky and water are drawn without it

Can you post this on your blog next time. I don't want to read all this bullshit.

This. I also find it funny how lewd jam is the only jam agdg has ever been this invested in

don't be a cunt

This looks great but your explosions and particles are terrible and I want to fix them.

Thanks user!

>please help me I'm being forced to read every post on Veeky Forums

>'if' in class, struct, or interface member declaration

It's so fucking stupid. The point of a jam is to have everyone working at the same time period under a theme and have fun. The page is irrelevant. We could literally just make an post hey let's dev alpaca games this weekend and if enough people agreed it would be a "jam".

Like Just Make Game has no meaning anymore.

That's because it's filled with outsiders.

i guess you are too young to know the waifu jam

thanks, i know some of the shit is a bit lowres and simplistic, but i'll still take all the advice i can get

*the original one ofc, not the repeat ad nauseam attempts

We decided the theme, and because of a few shit blogs it's taken a life of it's own.
It's shit.

is the original lewd jam page creator even still posting?

I'm right here. Hello.

Oh fuck. Someone might actually play my game this time. I need an excuse! Yup, they're all normies who I will never cater to with my superior games.

Can you change the hashtag from #lewdjam2016 to just #lewdjam. It's more convenient.

And add the community page for discussions.

seconding a community page, with all the outsiders coming in

nah

the community page is right here guys :^)

now featuring portraits

none of the buttons do anything yet though, and I still have to add skills and probably some other stuff

>88 people joined DDX
>maybe 10 of them post here
Can't wait to ignore all the WhoDev games

another enemy. have to add the coconut impact explosion but you get the idea.

some of you guys are okay. dont go to lewd jam in 20 days

>Can you post this on your blog next time. I don't want to read all this bullshit.
It's "game development general", not "post only webm and pixel pictures general".
Most of my job in the industry was non-graphic, rather about analysis and communication (crowdfunding, community management, etc), so no pictures.
I'm posting this stuff here in case I can easily help someone by answering his questions.

Though I recognize it's close to a blog post.

Don't listen to that faggot

Please go and stay go!