20yo ASE mechanic here. Only making ~35k/year currently. Any advice on my next career move...

20yo ASE mechanic here. Only making ~35k/year currently. Any advice on my next career move? Pic related is my bottom box. Snap-On Classic 96 triple bank in electric orange.

Git gud would be a good start. $35k. Fuck. In all honesty, add to your qualifications, diesel mechanic, auto electrician, AC etc.

> Only making 35k
> I hope you didn't take too much of Snap-On's dick

should have gotten a liberal arts degree m8

>falling for the techmeme

And will include some car images I've accumulated to attract people to the thread.

> Any advice on my next career move?
Find a different one.

AMA thread also. I work on mostly 2011-2014, all makes, no hybrids.

Was thinking the same thing. Do you know of any fields that my 3 years experience in automotive would be sought after?

Sucks m8 I'm a heavy equipment operator literally stupid as shit but make ~60k a year at 21

None whatsoever. I've been finding that once you're in this field, the only career moves you can make are lateral unless you decide to drop everything and go back to school.
The other problem I have is I'm not even remotely good at anything else.

2nd. The time invested is completely lost. It might even hold you back because people will think.
>lel dumb mechanic

MFW I want C63 AMG Wagon but not sold here in MURICA.... T~T

Dumbass heavy equipment operator brofist.
I'd say try moving into heavy diesel mechanic/fitting. Fair chunk more coin to be made and working on trucks and earthmoving gear may be a bit more of a challenge.

Lol because they wouldn't sell

>I'm a heavy equipment operator literally stupid as shit but make ~60k a year at 21

Not OP but where would i start? ( I have a hard-on for wanting to operate heavy equipment, dad did it when he was younger as well)

what's wrong with that car's suspension

Dont give a shit, still want one.

Holy shit OP, thats nothing.
Im a Day Laborer and clearing 50k-70k a year.

Guy i work with used to be a diesel mechanic for a Ford Dealership and got out of it since the old timers were the only ones getting the work and he says hes making more than they are.

Most of the time were either cutting wood and building frames or using a torch/grinder to cut steel.

You'd have to ask around different sites asking whether or not they're willing to take on a greenhorn roller, dumptruck or watercart operator, and go from there. Most people in this industry got in because they knew someone.

>I'd say try moving into heavy diesel mechanic/fitting
This is really the way to go, especially if you can get in a government-run fleet shop like a bus barn. You're basically doing regular maintenance shit 90% of the time, you're either paid hourly or a pretty decent salary, and no dealing with indecisive/broke customers.
There's also benefits out the ass.
I'm trying to work my way into PACCAR right now but it seems like it'll be an arduous, drawn-out process.

>using a torch/grinder to cut steel.
How's the ringing in your ears?

Every guy I know that cuts metal studs with a chop saw only knows how to talk at a shouting volume.

Or he can check in to see what local Unions there.
He can always join a Union and start an Apprenticeship.

>Just open your ass user and it wont hurt.

Thats what ear plugs are for.
We wear them so often we have super sensitive hearing now and can hear people whisper in different rooms. Its good and bad lol

>I'm trying to work my way into PACCAR right now
At least once you do, you'd have consistent ongoing work xD
Definitely another route.

So basically im fucked unless I know someone?

Great......

Whoa, what state are you in?

In CA nobody wears hearing protection. One time I went up to a guy on the chop saw.

>Doesn't that hurt your ears?
>IT DID IN THE BEGINNING, IT DON'T NOW

stay with what you know. its hard to start again else where without knowing the right people

look for another tech job else where.

OP when i first started i only made 30k for the first yr

last year i made 45k
this year i made shit because was forced to quit my job and was unemployed for a long time.

California.
Only the real old timers and idiots dont wear earplugs.
Whenever someones working for me i make them wear plugs or they can fuck off. Im anal as fuck about being safe cause i dont want anyone calling the Union or OSHA. Also the added protection lets you work more.
If i feel something is unsafe i try to correct it or find someone with the ability to do it.
No one working for me is getting hurt on my watch.

Good man