Market Collapse When...?

How long will it take the used car market to collapse once automated cars hit the streets? Will this happen? Why wouldn't it? What happens to everyone's luxury vehicles and exotic cars? Pic unrelated.

they get cheap enough to where i can stop riding the bus

But what if insurance becomes so expensive as a human driver you can no longer afford to drive a non-automated car?

Idk

More likely fuel will be $32 a gallon before self-driving cars become an affordable thing and used cars will be inexpensive due to most people having been killed and buried in mass graves.

I don't think self-driving cars will be a reality unless it all happens at once somehow.

Let's say that your car is driving itself down the expressway. In front of you is a dump truck, to the right a minivan full of kids, and to the left a single motorcycle rider. The dump truck slams on its brakes and your car needs to make a decision, does it:

>Take out the motorcyclist to incur the least amount of damage.
>Hit the minivan so both vehicles' safety measures are put into play, but put the children's lives in jeopardy?
>Slam into the dump truck purposefully, putting you in peril and causing the most damage to you and the vehicle.

It's a difficult question, and it brings manufacturers and programmers into the field of liability. Self-driving cars are a pipe dream until there are roads where only they may drive.

>Pic related, its my ride.

>that video

This and this. The sort of self driving car tech you have right now makes for a great demo, but it's basically useless unless you are switching all vehicles, commercial and private, so some sort of universal self driving protocol on roads that are similarly equipped to deal with them. Not something anyone on Veeky Forums will see in a lifetime.

Fuel cost is going to be the main factor that starts to press on used cars prices, but again, I think you are decades away from it becoming very relevant. If we ever figure out some decent battery tech, you'll see a thriving industry of people simply converting old ICE cars to electric eventually

Not in your lifetime it won't.

Self driving cars are still a pipe-dream and won't be widely adopted for many decades.

None of the above, the self driving car would not be tailgating the truck, and would have ample room to stop.

Many many factors are pushing autonomous cars ahead. The auto industry is balls deep in the development right now. It's happening.

It will still take a while for the laws and the "BUUUUT I WANNA DRIVE"s to warm up to their $1.50 uber ride to work.

That's the main thing that will kill it. The tort system in these countries would have to be drastically revolutionized (eg, eliminated in favor of manufactures) in order for this to work.

If self-driving cars with upstanding, well programmed moral AI rude car fatalities from 10000 a year 5000, Google won't get 5000 thank you letters but they will get 5000 wrongful death lawsuits.

Tort reform has been proposed for decades, but civil suits and lawyers and insurance claims make up like %29 of the GNP anymore so it's proven politically impossible. Nobody is going to care to change it so people don't have to drive themselves around.

that poor woman needs medical attention

>autonomous cars
>actually working like a Johnny Cab

You probably won't be alive when it happens because driving circumstances are so varied and computers are shit at dealing.

>How long will it take the used car market to collapse once automated cars hit the streets?

By that time, enough years will have passed for other changes to affect the auto landscape.

The middle east crossed the Peak Oil point several years ago, but that was not including Iran which has now entered the marketplace with its desire to fund the spread of its version of state religion with petrodollars. But sooner or later, we will get to the 3/4 done point and then all those sources will go UH OH and raise the price a few dollars more to about $300 per barrel which will cause domestic gasoline to raise its prices out of profiteering. Then gasoline will be $12 per gallon at the wholesaler and the gas station will sell it at $13.00 to $14 probably.

More important than self driving cars will be how society changes. People won't be able to afford gasoline-only cars anymore unless they are part of the top 20% of society. You say that is wrong it is greater than 20% and yes, you are right if you ignored the other factors. With the huge shrinking of car ownership, other parts of the auto industry will have to raise their prices or go out of business for lack of sufficient quantity of customers. Insurance will go up. A lot more jobs will disappear and the gap between well-off and everyone else will jump a large amount. So 20% is a reasonable wild guess for now and a larger number wouldn't be appropriate based on the shrink.

Certainly, people who haven't saved enough for retirement will be desperate. If social security gets privatized, they can't count on social security since there will be so many drawing from it

>mfw 3rd world
>won't have fully electric grid in 200 years
>mfw all those cheap 1st world cuckholds gasser imports

now if its going to be like computer trash, they will literally dump them here lel

All you city fags will be fucked. Good luck telling me what I can and can't drive on the millions of kilometers of back roads and forestry roads.

Automated vehicles only work in heavily populated cities with low speed limits. I still have yet to see one navigate in a blizzard.

I get the question you are asking, but the premise is regarded. The self driving car be able to stop in time because it will calculate how much following distance will give it enough time to stop fully. It can infer the braking ability of the dump truck as a generalization it cars' braking abilities or through identifying the specific car.

>He thinks gasoline is going to go away.
Good luck buckaroo

Then you drive without insurance.

>automated cars hit the street
>barbaric driver cars are immediately banned

This is what will actually happen.

Insurance will get less expensive because self driving cars will significantly reduce the overall amount of accidents including those involving manually driven cars because the behavior of cars on the road will become generally much more predictable.

Manually driven cars will just start being targeted much more aggressively by law enforcement but only for a certain amount of time as the amount of traffic police will also be reduced.