Buying 1st Car

>tl;dr help me buy a car, also post your 1st cars and how good they were for you

Hi Veeky Forums I'm looking to buy my first car and could use some help! I know fairly little about cars and whats good so I'd love some advice.

Here's my current situation:
>I want to own whatever I buy outright and currently have $4100
>I'm 6' 7" so the car would have to be fairly roomy
>I want something that is good for road trips (500-1500 miles), and that can carry music equipment, camping stuff, etc.
>It would have to be fwd or 4wd because we have bad winters here

Here are a few cars that I've been looking at so far:
spokane.craigslist.org/cto/5643814943.html
spokane.craigslist.org/cto/5643814943.html
spokane.craigslist.org/ctd/5626385587.html
spokane.craigslist.org/cto/5648644918.html

As a side note, I really like minivans.

Any advice will be appreciated!

Other urls found in this thread:

spokane.craigslist.org/cto/5647941568.html
spokane.craigslist.org/cto/5633398132.html
spokane.craigslist.org/cto/5629912338.html
spokane.craigslist.org/cto/5618660476.html
pullman.craigslist.org/cto/5634463184.html
spokane.craigslist.org/cto/5648178980.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The last car that i posted was flagged so I guess not that one. But something similar wouldn't be bad

I'm 6'3 but look into a used Chevy Equinox. Otherwise, at your height, I would consider a suv of some sort

Miata.

Used Ford Explorer.

See if you can find a Mazda5, it's a minivan and it gets great mileage, and it's the best handling minivan on the market, tons of space too

spokane.craigslist.org/cto/5647941568.html
spokane.craigslist.org/cto/5633398132.html
spokane.craigslist.org/cto/5629912338.html
spokane.craigslist.org/cto/5618660476.html
pullman.craigslist.org/cto/5634463184.html
I live not far from spo-compton. Would love any of these

Corollas are great, That 1989 GT-S looks pretty rad. The all-trac wagon looks doesn't look pretty but looks practical for your situation.
at 6' 7" they might feel a little small for you though. They're older too so reliability might be a concern for long road trips

Unfortunately I'm not having a midlife crisis so I'll pass on that...

I really wish I could find one of these in my price range. That or a Honda Odyssey...

I do like the older. boxier type toyotas and hondas but it would have to be in a little bit better condition. The first one isn't bad though!

Rwd is fine during winter you fucking cuck.
95% of winter driving ability is tires, not drivetrain layout.

OP didnt said that hes gay

Is it really okay for a newer driver? I've only had my license for 2 months, most of which I haven't actually driven, and none with snow or ice on the roads. As engineering principles go it would make sense that a car being pulled by the front wheels would have more control. Then again, I am just a fucking cuck with a mechanical engineering degree and very little knowledge of cars...

I'm definitely not homophobic, but also not gay.
Vans are just cool. That is all.

Just go mpv. Predecessor to the 5
spokane.craigslist.org/cto/5648178980.html

4WD > FWD/AWD > RWD on snow.

But:

Snow tires RWD > standar 4WD

That depends on the location of the engine.

MR/RR is definitely better than FR in the snow, but with good tires it's not nearly as big of a problem as people make it out to be.

I was going to ask if those were any good, thanks!

Can you give me a few examples of good mr/rr cars? They don't even have to be in my price range.
Being new to cars/purchasing them, I've never really seen any.

Toyota Previa
Toyota MR2
Toyota MR-S
Porsche Boxster
Porsche Cayman
Porsche 911

>new to car purchasing
>suggesting porsche

If you mean RR/MR non-sport cars, the frenchs did a lot of them, specially in the 70's and 80's.

There is also the Fiat 128 (no idea if it was sold in the US) and the beattle.

Hey man, I suggested a Previa as well

Yes. But you could do better.

I am not suggesting MR/RR Renaults because i dont want to fill the characters of this post. Seriously. They made a shit ton of them.

More rr/mr cars

Chevy corvair

Vintage VW Bug

Pontiac Fiero

And loads more

I personally believe the corvair is a perfect 1st car for winter (living in Michigan myself)

Yeah,but since he's in the US, the only midship people movers are older Jap Vans, Renault left us a whiiiilleee ago

Fuck me
Those first gen MPVs had actual 4WD, locking center diff and everything, wikipedia even says it wasn't meant to be engaged on dry roads

>suggesting porsche
>as if porsche wasn't a widely known sports car

I at least know most brands and some models from watching TopGear and searching for cars recently .

That explains why it has that cute little nose.

What OP should be looking for is a K platform Caravan CV panel van and source a 2.2 Turbo III motor and turn up the boost

Old mpvs had the same drivetrain as the 4x4 pickups from before they went ford.
I have a b2600i. Awesome truck.

Shame they don't at least have the JE-ZE engine from the 929S, I wonder what other swaps might work, the regular JE is gutless

Its not THAT gutless. Even the G6 engine pulls just fine. I regularly max out the load rating in my truck and do 75 on the freeway.

I contacted the poster of this ad, hopefully they'll get back to me and I'll let you know if I end up getting it.
This is exactly what I was looking for.
I don't know how I missed it.

OP, I advise you either not buy from CL, or if you must, only spend half your budget on the car and save the rest for inevitable maintenance. Trust me, I know.

Only people from warm/flat states say this.

Shut up and buy a civic, if the height is in your legs.

You don't want a minivan. They're bastardized versions of fwd car platforms so they're a bitch to repair which means lots of expensive labor for repairs that you don't/can't do yourself.

I don't know if any of the used car dealerships in Spokane are any more reputable than people on Craigslist.

Most of them seem really shitty or have terrible/fake reviews. Do used car lots usually perform maintenance on cars before selling them? If so that might make going to one worthwhile.

I did consider that I should keep some money left over for anything that might come up though.

>Shut up and buy a civic
>Must know everything about cars
>Okay

Even if I got a civic, I probably wouldn't work on it myself, although I'd like to learn how.

Are minivans really that awful?

Don't go to a used car lot ever. The best is certified pre owned with a warranty from a dealer. Again, if you do buy from CL save a few grand for repairs.

Minivans are great if you buy one that's reliable and doesn't have a gorillion miles on it.

Isn't an Astrovan technically midship? Isn't the engine mounted behind the front axle?

Most certified dealers are a little too expensive for me. What if it was an auto repair shop that mostly did repairs but had a few cars on the lot? There is a Perfection Tires by my house that my dad has gone to a few times and he's always got good service from them. Would that be any different than a used lot?

Nope.

Are you sure? What about an Aerostar?

Honda crx

buy from a private seller. They're more likely to be honest or at least you're more likely to be able to see through their lies. Dealers do not automatically sell better cars. They sell shitboxes just like you'll find on craigslist and you'll even pay a premium.

Yes. My parents had one. It's right above the front axle. The engine does look further back on the aerostar.

Subaru Forester, from the late 90s or early 2000s. Lots of headroom, AWD, isn't terribly hard to find a manual. Also they should be fairly plentiful near you.

They are. I've seen a couple on craigslist and have considered them.

Would it be better for me to get a manual? I can't drive one but know that I should learn to

Manual is less likely to break, less mechanically, and cheaper to fix if anything goes. Also, better MPGs, and it's better in the snow because of the ability to engine brake.

*less mechanically complicated

Get a vw bug? Granted they're not the most manly of cars, but they have tons of leg room

Fwd has been proven to be better in snow . Fuck off rwd fag

Can confirm, I daily drove a 350z through the Canadian winter and didn't have a single traction related problem. I was worried more about clearance haha

The only people who say this are people who've never driven in snow or teenagers trying to persuade their parents to buy them a miata over an FF econobox.