/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

DDX Vid youtube.com/watch?v=FDyx59M9fm0

>Next Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

>Next Game Jam (Lewd -- Blueboard rules still apply)
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2016

>Lewd Jam Collabs
docs.google.com/document/d/1K9wlzcJntyOCV3KLvRcvllZ2ZUnGgrDtiwPdMLlw5XQ/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sm0Pxz0uq-62L46TdXmKisynbhLI_by-pLNlcgo4B8M/edit?usp=sharing

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ

>Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

u.pomf.is/tamdlv.webm
poal.me/5jyk5a
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=753450733
soundcloud.com/daydreamanatomy/sets/mlpgameproject
youtube.com/watch?v=3CB1pdsosSc
youtube.com/watch?v=3BR8tK-LuB0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for reminding you not to reply to idea guys.

Stop including non-AGDG Jams in the OP thank you.

;_;

I don't post the game,till sell out to Microsoft for a billion.

reminder that if your game has combat, you should add the ability to throw your melee weapon, or throw daggers/knives at dudes.

Show your progress RIGHT NOW!

I'm a sound guy who can think.

I wouldn't collab with someone who hasn't produced finished work already though.

reminder if you allow the player to kill their enemies, they win.

Reminder that if your game has melee combat you should add an option to unscrew your pommel and throw it at the enemy to end him rightly.

New type of slime enemy, this time focused on area denial. I allowed little gaps so it's not a total fuck you if you destroy several near each other and they block off your whole screen.

Well obviously I have an idea of how the game will look as well. I dreamed about it. it was PERFECT

Why is this crossed out?

are you sure you want that?
because my progress looks like this

I already have an art guy who can think, it was a general point.

Retopo done.
Pic related is roughly 5k verts.
High poly was around 2m.

Next up: Texturing, Weightpainting, Animation.

Keep feeding the troll pls guys.

It was obvious before and it is even more obvious now.

Consider report and hiding.

Progress
File too big, so I have to use pomf:
u.pomf.is/tamdlv.webm

+ Energy regen works properly now, dodging and sprinting are a more tactical decision(until you get better parts and upgrade your shit etc)
+ Enemy stop shooting from impossible angles
+ Minor AI improvements

Things to do till demo day:
1. Model some proper guns
2. Improve AI - stop enemies from clustering
3. Improve AI - Add new attack, Missile barrage
4. Add equipment and stats to the player
5. Add some kind of rating system(either dmc like or a simple Score)
5. Polish shit

Might have to drop point 4 for DD, depending on how much I have to do next week.

why he is wearing a diaper?

i removed saber's hair and come up with a new hairstyle i hope this is kinda decent probably too western-like,any feedback appreciated still no gameplay sorry

I've finished my shader.

Head is too big and legs are too short.

What? I'm serious. It's my first time posting in this general (I think)

Old people wear diapers.
Zombies must have anal leakage problems. Have you never thought about that?

You should make sharper edges between the clothes and skin.

>
>the suit is their skin at this point

If that's what you want to communicate, you'd want to do something like putting visible seams on the hip and waist joints like so (and maybe the rest of the body), otherwise it's just going to look like a leotard that he takes off at the end of the day.

Then again you could always go full anime and have a cutscene where they explicitly explain that the suit is bonded to the skin and have a minor character wonder out loud if cyborgs have dicks or not. And then blood would shoot out of everyone's noses.

Can you aim or the reticle is always locked at the center of the screen?

Consider adding some feedback for when the bullets hit. There's nothing worse than spamming at an enemy and feeling like you're doing nothing.

It's just a mockup so no

he is old.when the time is right, have a diaper.

poal.me/5jyk5a

This is nice

>Bullet hell
>Character's hibox is much smaller than the sprite.
>No indication of where the hitbox actually starts.

You need to fix this senpai.

I'm learning how to write shaders. So my progress looks like ass right now.

He said before it's at the tip of the mouse cursor but obviously if he removes that it will be necessary

Post wireframe.

It's 1px on the tip of the mouse. I'll add a visual indicator one of these days.

Do you have a sound cloud or similar

rewrote my pathing, works a bit better now :)

Post gameplay

>gif

fuck off

is that the lesbo from life is strange?

>It's 1px on the tip of the mouse.
That isn't really intuitive, especially when you're guiding around a big ass sprite. I'd really make the hitbox bigger now if I were you, otherwise you'll probably fuck yourself over later on when you realize that you want to change it and have to redo all the patterns.

Got a quick question:
Can you compile Monogame from terminal in Mac/Linux? Or do you have to use that dirty program it comes with

Always locked, the mech/camera turn by moving the mouse.

Noted. Would adding the damage numbers and the enemy health bar be enough?

Fuck it, fine. Mainly just showing off the three shot burst of the daggers, and slightly tweaked subweapon damages. Mostly everything else is old shit that I'm showing off for the sake of something neat to watch.

Stopped being lazy last night and finally worked on movement.
Now I can write a single string and it will parse all of the movements and how long to do each movement.

The webm is just generations of random coordinates. Now to work on quadratic and cubic curves.

sry, its just faster, i have a hotkey tied to gyazo gif

THIC mecha jam

Honestly I love mechs just for their weaponry. No other genre has such fun weapons.

Cybernator/assault suits valkan comes to mind, I love how their fists eject shells

Are you the same guy from the other night? I've already explained that 1px hitboxes are the norm in bullet hells. I won't be changing it. The only thing I might do is put a dot on it so there's no confusion.

That'd work.

I do (it's nothing special) but I already have two game projects with different teams so I wouldn't work with anyone else unless they were highly competent and going to let me do all the idea-guying. So basically I wouldn't.

alright fair enough, just asked cause I was looking for a sound guy.

Sure, sound guys are great! Why don't you post your game though if that's the case?

There ya go user.

2late my m8

Actually i could fuck with the low poly mesh but that's like a final correction and no second earlier. Probably doesn't pay off anyway

Gonna do this with texturing. Might be throwing some APEX cloth over that too.Probably not though.

Well in the future use references. A lot of what you have there shows promise but the proportions are way off.

wew

them ribs

cause it's really mediocre with not a lot to show for it and was planning to stalk your soundcloud til I have something more presentable and then reach out.

Nowhere near the definition of, 'highly competent'. Pic related or the thing earlier in the thread.

I'd also consider hiding the mouse. Doesn't really need a reason to be there when you have a character to guide where it is. This with the visible hitbox would be better than a mouse.

NGOOOONS

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=753450733

>THIC mecha jam

Just enter the thicc jam with a mecha game then

I think the problem is more that i mainly work in ortho view. Not the lack of references. This distorts the view quite a bit. Especially on the head. Not much of a big deal to fix this. Has to be done before animation tho.

I'm dicking around in unity. Is it normal to be completely baffled by simple physics? I don't know what the fuck a quadronian is or what sin/cos/tan is for. It feels like it is all guess work and trial and error to make it feel the way I want it to.

if you didn't finish grade school, sure

Trigonometry is high school arithmetic. Quaternions are more complex but you don't need to understand them to use them as orientations in 3D space.

Well user this isn't the place to be shy about being an amature. Post progress, get feedback and all that. That actually looks pretty similar to something I made a few years ago haha.

I'm pretty sure ortho is what's going to show your proportions the most accurately.

>enemies T-pose when they die
Why are memedevs always so incompetent?

>those limited controls
Looks fun, mate. I love interesting control schemes.

i don't know how to answer

*dick comment about you failing basic education*

or

*a little bit of encouragement and saying it's never too late to learn*

?

Don't worry gamer, fuckups are in their own way more entertaining to see than actual progress.

see pic related from a while back where i set up the phases wrong and wound up with two phases worth of shooters active at once.

Sin Cos and Tan are high-school level math. You should learn it.

Basically this gif.

The wavey line on the side is Sin
The wavey line on the bottom is Cos
The line that fucks off into the sky is Tan

>quadronian
You mean quarternion?

Its a way of describing change in 3d space. So if you want an object rotated in 3d space, you apply a quarternion.

But really, if you don't know something you have Google. Even if you can't understand the wikipedia article on the subject, you'll find something that can teach you this shit if only you'd actually go and look for it.

>someone made a Unity CCG toolkit
>no support or word from dev in 2 years
>$100

>Its a way of describing a ROTATION in 3d space.
Fix'd that for you.

If quarternions are 2 scary 4 you user, convert them into rotational matrices.

Working on some popup stuff! Popup before you go to sleep: annoying or necessary?

I'm a musician for a fan project that crosses megaman X and my little pony, they haven't been able to find a sprite tile artist, so they're looking for volunteers that can do this style.

If you're interested in being a tile artist for a retro snes game email me at

[email protected]

And I'll forward it to them or give you their email/skype to speak to them directly if you're up to par.
I can't give much for examples of the work from the game, we also need someone discreet to avoid a cease adn disist warning/order. But here's some OLD version of the loops I made for the game, I have made roughly 28.
soundcloud.com/daydreamanatomy/sets/mlpgameproject

And this outdated demo someone played:
youtube.com/watch?v=3CB1pdsosSc
(all of the art assets are placeholder obviously, the demo level doesn't exist as far as I know.)

Also it's not a reskin or a rom hack, custom engine, built from the ground up, there are some placeholders from the X series. It is fun to play hte in house beta.

How do you make a game and not become hated by the playerbase or your peers?

simple, don't interact with them so you effectively don't exist, at that point they can only hate the game

Just don't do anything terrible

Make it work and run properly, don't lie, release updates, avoid social justice topics.

>Wikipedia page for math
No matter what look for, the wiki page on any concept is the most complicated thing I read about it. I can read any other article and generally grasp it and understand. The wiki page is a completely different beast. I can have a very firm grasp on a topic and go on it's wiki page and still have problems reading it.

Like I just fucking googled, 'addition' and I scroll slightly down and it is being described in sigma notation.

Explain your reasoning when making changes. Avoid introducing bugs post-release.
Be subtle with your nerfs/buffs.
Don't sperg out when someone says they don't like your game.

draw a thick line between your interests, social justice, shitposting, literally everything but your game and your game
become a ghost that shits out a game and keeps everything in private

make sure your game uses monochromatic sillhouette graphics only, has awful mechanics and gameplay and instead relies purely on edginess and shock value to get anyone to play it. Make it a game about a recent tragedies or rape or killing toddlers or raping and killing toddlers. Throw a big drama fit about how you're being persecuted for making a game about social justice and exposing society's hypocrisy and then suck a few dicks to get it favorably reviewed

Don't get defensive and heated over every comment, no matter how stupid. You represent your game and no one cares why you're mad at some cunt.

Communicate with the community regularly. When something goes wrong, no one wants a dev that is completely silent on the matter leaving everyone to wade around in confusion.

Be vocal about why you changed things.

Don't lie and don't blame a shortcoming of the game all the playerbase or potential players. That makes you a cunt with an inflated ego.

It's hard to tell from the .webm, but all enemy bullets on-screen are turning into homing gems when you destroy an enemy. If you're struck by a bullet outside of your dash, you either lose up to 20 gems (if you had less than that) or your total number divided by 20. They bounce around the screen and disappear unless you pick them up. Essentially the game isn't about destroying the enemy; it's about timing every dash for the most score.

this.
be a good dev and supply your fans with what they need

:)

youtube.com/watch?v=3BR8tK-LuB0

Don't develop games, and instead just develop grown-up software for businesses and shit that actually makes money.

thank goddess that i am not an artfag

I'm reviving this one to use to use with a different scope and gameplay.

Reminder to keep your lewd games HEALTHY.

Fuck I want to make a space game now.
>tfw too many ideas and not enough time

How long did it take you to finish your first sidescroller /agdg/?

>your first sidescroller
Why would I start with making a shit game?

>tfw nobody wants to collab on a lewd game

Very small scoped platformer, 1 month.