Dorito

How unreliable really are rotaries? I've got my eyes on a 2nd gen RX8. How often do you need to rebuild and how hard is it to do yourself? If too hard, how much does it cost for someone else to do it?

Alternatively, will the RX vision ever actually get released?

Other urls found in this thread:

m3forum.net/m3forum//showthread.php?t=364689
youtube.com/user/aaroncake
norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/5649684963.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The RX-8 is kinda crap mate, even hardcore fans of the dorito say that. That engine is the retarded cousin that the 12A and 13B keep locked in the attic.

much like anything if the previous owner was on top of it then it wont cost as much $$ but like any car, it will cost $$ if you aren't doing the labor yourself. hopefully he was on top of rebuilding it along with all the adjustments. you can read more on rx8 forums, of some good things to replace while your under the hood anyway like the fuel hard lines and probably more.

1. technically a rebuild is supposed to be about every 120k, ive never owned one but i have a friend who had and he had to do it only once when he owned it but it was at the 90k mark which i think is ok? dont know too much

2. he had a shop do it for 1200'ish and i think that was just labor, although im sure some places might be more expensive or less expensive. theres not much to break in the engine but its almost always the apex seals from what i can read/gather and those r cheap af compared to labor

3. no idea how hard it is but it would require some time for sure and my bud didnt have a garage or land (we're poor) and couldnt really do it in the street cause fuck that

gl senpai

alright it just changed f a m to senpai

GG triggered

Alternatively there's some quite clean FC's in my area. They're all just pushing 100k miles so I feel like I'd want a rebuild.

>ITT

>100k miles so I feel like I'd want a rebuild.
Youre a retard.
My FC had over 200k when i sold it still running on good compression.
Many RX8s go well over 200k as well.
Stop falling for memes and shitposters.
Hello newfriend

It seems like more than just memes when there's plenty of posts on RX forums discussing it.

Rx8 is shit mate. That is fact. Nobody cares about your lawn mower engine NA FC

Dont trust the fan bois. That said early non turbo rx7s do last. Rx8 is utter rubbish and nobody who isnt full of shit can deny that. As you said, just check the forums. Some guy on here is on engine three in 140k. Its not a meme

the rotary is for the special snowflake enthusiest who not only like being different but thrives on the intense hardship that always follows owning a car that requires the owner to cater their life to it

t. never owned a rotary
you're acting as if the seals blow every 100 miles
if you maintain it properly, there is no problem.

how often do they blow then?

Worst thing IMO about the RX8 "community" on the web is that I was unable to find even a rough outline of what it takes to rebuild the engine. The forums are full of dickwads going "This is a serious job and should be left to the pros :^]" while simultaneously offering to rebuild your engine "at a really fair price" and not actually being mechanics. I'm sure the information is out there (otherwise you can probably just buy a book to learn about it) somewhere but that anti-DIY cancer attitude really grinds my gears and turned me off the RX8 completely - not that I was ever seriously considering one.

if you maintain it properly and are driving properly, they should never "blow", the seals will just be worn to the point of the engine flooding. however, a rebuild is recommended in the 100k-150k range.

That sounds pretty fun desu

the>inu

you are a faggot with a leased autotragic frs, your opinion is invalid

rebuilding isn't too hard, if you plan on turboing, its better than you rebuild it anyway, the seals on the renesis are more fragile, and in general it needs a lot more lubrication

Here is how to make an RX8 good (for retards)
>Aftermarket ignition coils
>Aftermarket apex seals
>Premix
>Aftermarket exhaust

That fixes the flooding, compression, detonation and overheating problems.
Anybody who thinks that a renesis isn't easily fixable is stupid.

add an oil cooler and you're golden

i seen a rx8 once

RX8s were garbo because they removed some oil passages in the engine block and e-shaft and shit. If he keeps buying the shit engines from before they readded them he deserves the explosions.

Renesis seals are fine.

Seals blow under boost. Buy some top-end hard seals if you want high boost. Rotary Aviation or pineapple or someone else.

It has three moving parts. Were you really that scared?

As somebody who's taken apart a 13B-DEI with no previous experience in tearing down engines, really not that complicated to figure out.

PDF scans of manufacture/dealership service guides are available online alongside other sources and explain all the steps.

Step 1 buy compression test tool
Step 2 go look at car you want to buy
Step 3 do compression test
Step 4 if it's good buy if it's not do a 360 and walk away

wow that was hard

Don't rotaries need a special compression tool?

Kind of. I think you can use a regular one and just make sure the needle doesnt vary that much as you're doing the test, but I don't really know how they work, and I havent ever had to do one since I don't own a rotary lol.

Remove the check valve from a normal one so it won't stay at the PSI bounce. One compression cycle will get you three bounces and the needle should drop to 0 fast after each one. Every bounce on the tester should be at least 110 PSI.

You mean do a 180?
A 360 would put you back in the direction of the piece of shit.

Holy shit how new are you

hello newfriend

I always love when people respond to 360 and walk away

If it has good compression and bits of metal aren't falling onto the road when I drive then I don't rebuild. Doesn't matter how many miles.

As new as you are faggot.

You know I'm started to believe that shit people say about summer attracting hordes of newfags.

Pretty new then. Trips of truth confirm.

>getting barely 19mpg on highway from a 1.3 liter engine
>having literally no torque
>only option for added power is running boost
>high price to replace apex seals unless you do all the work yourself
>rx8 leaks like a faucet at slightest hint of rain
B-but muh revs

So a Google search OP. All the rotards on this board are easily triggered, and you'd be better off reading RX specific message boards. They aren't as delusional

I'm bout to get an FB soon.

I think people are mostly scared of the sequential turbo system in the FD; then other people hear that and think it has anything at all to do with the rotary engine, and they stay the fuck away from them.

Rotaries need more frequent oil changes. If you ignore that, then you will need a rebuild pretty soon. Particles in the oil is what destroys the seals.

Hell, the FB gets decent fuel economy for a late 70's early 80's car. 19/29 is not fucking awful, and most of them are carburetored for fuck's sake

I just recently purchased this 2009 RX with 50,000 miles on it. I make sure to premix and everything, anything else I should particularly keep an eye on?

Make sure to redline it daily to get rid of carbon deposits

I do that pretty often, I'm pretty sure I've got everything down. I always let it warm up before I drive it and rev it to 3k when I shut it off as well.

What's the point in revving to 3k before shutting of?

It creates backpressure in the system. When you shut off the key at those revs, the key actually gets sucked into the steering column and into the engine where it immediately melts from the high heat and pressure, forming an apex seal. It was in the last page of the RX7 SA handbook for only one year, and not a lot of people know about it. You're supposed to cut a new key every time you drive the car, it's just part of rotary upkeep.

no one ever takes care of an RX7 they all beat on them and speed in them and there arnt very many mechanics that specialize in rebuilding these things

believe it or not when you go to most mechanics with a specialized car they wont even look at it they just say no

i dont own nor have i personally ever owned or leased an frs you retard

Fuck off Austin with your shitty auto RX8 Shoulda got a fucking Chevy like that TRUCK that fucking WALKED you last night, call me when you make more than ten torques

Fuck off cunt, ya trash ass K1500.

It's a C1500 you uneducated fuck. That's why I'm laying in ya bed jacking off right now

Austin are you gonna let him fuckin' do that

you get in there and you fucking blow him before he can finish to assert dominance

I'm gonna look him right in the eye as I nut down his throat and whisper
No homo

Yeah call me when ya get some pussy on ya dick lil' nigga.

Call me when you ain't a broke bitch lil nigga lil niggaaaaa

Changing it to senpai was the best thing jap moot did. The posting was fucking awful with that meme.

Sounds like a girlfriend that can't break up with you or get pregnant.

>all these newfags falling for this bait

>spend just shy of two grand fixing a relatively new car
>or you could just buy an FB

>Buying the slowest 13b

triggered GM cuck detected

they're good on reliability

just don't overheat them

>being this triggered about having a slow, unreliable, dorito
Kek

>not buying the even slower 12a and only having 100 hp when it was new
>not telling pretty girls it's not actually a fast car when they ask if your sports car goes quick
Early RX7s were practically the Ninja 250 of cars. And that's awesome.

>slow
>unreliable

pic related

>being this assmad he has to assume I'm a GM cuck
Here, I found your wheels

>its the busrider that pretend to have a BMW

kek, I'm even more sorry now

>mechanical engineer
>rides the bus
Stay butthurt rotary cuck

>mechanical engineer
>stupid enough to buy a piece of shit BMW

kek, you have to be a certified retard to get a bmw

now way an actual mechanical enginner is as stupid as you

I would buy 10 e46's before I ever consider buying a 1.3l piece of scrap metal kek

Seriously m8, you're embarrassing yourself

I don't remember asking what you'd do with your imaginary money, neet busrider

>bmw
>somehow manage to make piuston engines that are less reliable than rotaries

top kek

>samefagging

>yfw even bmw bikes are literal trash and less reliable than rotary motorcycles

kek,

bmw trash not even once

>BMW literally BTFO

>by law, certain of your bmw must be biodegradable
m3forum.net/m3forum//showthread.php?t=364689
>a bmw will literally decompose and become an unreliable shitpile even if you don't drive them

why would anyone be willing to buy such a piece of shit?

KEK bmw is so shitty

why do these thread devolve into that one mad rotard hating on bmw?

bmw fangirl detected

posting facts about how shit bmw isn't "hating"

i bet you vape too

dubs confirm BMW a shit

nah, I don't really like bmw
Just wondering how he triggered ur autism so effectively.

I would deny liking a certain brand of cars if it were as shitty as bmw too

gg senpai

Guys I just made this thread to ask about how hard it would be to rebuild a rotary personally and ask about rotary repair and maintenance in general not to shitpost about how BMW's a shit :^) we all knew that already.

A rotary isn't much different from other ICE engines. You simply need to teach yourself the intricacies of the engine. Start with an older RX model, if you want to avoid the complexity of newer cars.
youtube.com/user/aaroncake
Is a guy who knows a lot about rotaries. He's been around the internet for a long time, posting about them. He's got a lot of good tutorials out.

maintenance on these is insanely easy I don't understand why people think they are unreliable

Wow rotaries actually look pretty simple. There's like 30 different seals but like a whole 3 moving parts. Thanks for that youtube link, that's actually probably the most helpful thing I've learned about rotaries from Veeky Forums ever.

Makes me want to just find a cheap rx7 to have around as a project.

>Makes me want to just find a cheap rx7 to have around as a project.
It's all about how cheap are you ready to go.

is that turbo

Yes, 181 hp.

want

Don't fall for memes, from personal experience the Rx-8 isn't a bad car at all, it does like to drink gas, but I am at 130k with no rebuilds.

>with no rebuilds.
or compression kek

Looks like the owner did the metalwork already, it just needs to be painted to not look so junky.

Please tell me that someone brought that poor thing to fucking maaco by now.

Nah, it's sold for 3000$ (feels like a lot, but I guess they're very rare).

I want to sell my Miata for an FC before the Miata hype dies and i get less money for it. Would it be a bad idea for someone that daily drives it alongside using it to drive to clients for work?

No, as long as you get a good condition one and know how to maintain it.

>captcha is stanced PT Cruiser

I've never heard of rx8's leaking

Topkek

norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/5649684963.html

help me Veeky Forums. should i get it? are FC's good DD's, especially in the winter?

the vert is not the best FC, but it'll be fun regardless. it just won't be fast.

Test senpai