Off Road General

/ORG/
>aka overlanding general
>aka wheeling general
>aka BFG KO2 general
>aka the road is for faggots general

its been a while
>tfw im the only one who posts these threads

on the up-side i think im finally satisfied with my rig. its more than capable for anything ill ever use it for if im honest with myself.

anyone have any sick mod plans so i can live vicariously through you?
who /weekendwheelin/ tomorrow?

Other urls found in this thread:

kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/st-johns/1996-toyota-tacoma-pickup-truck/1175028055?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

any southeast fags here?
i live in va but thinking of tripping down to nc for the weekend, trying to decide between pisgah and uwharrie. dont know shit about either.
i have a pretty capable rig and ideally would like somewhere where i can drive pretty far in, park and set up camp

whoops also anyone know if either has decent fishing?

>ARB bumper general

thats awesome someone got that to fit on that truck!
putting one on my 80 was about the easiest install of anything ive ever done

>got that to fit
ARB makes them for the C/K series trucks and SUVs.

Do you think this would be a good starter for an offroader? kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/st-johns/1996-toyota-tacoma-pickup-truck/1175028055?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

In the most generic "offroader" sense, it's pretty bad if you intend to build something as you go.

If you want something that's extremely DD friendly except for space and comfort that's also above average out of the box, then it's pretty good.

Really depends on what you want to use it for and what you plan on doing to it over time. For less money you could get something that's slightly less capable out of the box but has far more potential on a few thousand dollar budget and will hold up better to abuse and modifications.

>tfw no overlanding baja bug
I want one

i got a mitsubishi delica earlier this year, it's almost 20 years old, i drove it on the ocean floor but that's about all i've done offroad because i'm worried it's not ready for it or too old or something

how do i know it's good to go?

I plan to use it as a DD but i want to have a bit of fun offroad also. Some what related note, i live on an island in eastern Canada so lots of salt and snow.

Memes aside, what is your opinion on wranglers on and off road?

offroad is a very general term. Tight, technical trails, average truck/jeep trails, mud, wide open snow... I assume you're not doing any dune racing.

>on an island in eastern Canada so lots of salt and snow.
Steer clear of Toyota then.

crude vehicles that get the job done offroad, and nothing else.

Wondering if I should buy a 1st gen taco, a 3rd gen 4runner, or splurge the fuck out for a landcruiser/lx450. Mostly for mountain camping and desert trail stuff.

Any opinions /org/?

Why the hell are all these damn Vehicrosses popping up on my local CL all of a sudden?

uwharrie is pretty fun, but it gets a bit crowded on the weekend, also you can primitive can on certain areas on the park, but be adviced that you are going to hear truck coming and going at wee hours of the night, some people like that, I personally don't. About pisgah its a national park, its more of overlanding than actual offroading in my opinion, TONS of side road to just explore around the area.

I don't know why but I LOVE IT

>mitsubishi
I wouldnt trust it
>jeep
I wouldnt trust it

Get a mechanic to check it over. Turbo diesel? Those things always shit ball joints in the front ends, so get that checked out, CV boots always go as well.

I got a wrangler cheap a year or so ago, only had a mild lift but it cruised off-road. Fucking atrocious on road though, and fuel economy is terrible. At least they don't have many electronic bits for Jeep to fuck up though.

Hey y'all

My neighbour is selling his '05 LJ.
I'd never heard of Jeep having and LJ but it seems to be just a slightly longer TJ.
Are they any good/bad?

2005 LJ with 180,000kms for $11k. Not much in terms of mods etc.
Good price?

>>generic image semi-related

>I'd never heard of Jeep having
Youll wish it stayed that way

Just take it slow and take it easy. Slowly find out what your vehicle's capable of, which I know from experience, an awful lot with a Delica.
I wish those were available where I am. Used to own a JDM import Isuzu MU. Solid little truck.

If you need a large interior and enclosed cargo space for a fridge and draws and stuff, go the Landcruiser.
If you don't need the space and fuel economy is more important, he the mid size 4 Runner or Taco.

is there a point in purchasing an alloy bullbar? Do I need a suspension upgrade after installing a bullbar?

Certainly. An alloy bar still provides substantially more protection than factory bumpers, and doesn't transfer anywhere near as much force back on to the chassis in the event of a strike.
I you're just talking a bar, your standard springs will be fine. If you're fitting a winch, auxiliary battery etc, see how it sits after fitting, then figure out whether a heavier spring rate is required or not.

Landyboo reporting

Burgers get assmad
75 series and defenders everywhere here in Ausfag

Landies unite

Burger molested bong

Finally ordered some sliders. Pic pretty related.

Good to see the LC100 community is strong across the globe.

wow theyve expanded since last time i checked.
happy to hear that theyre a great company

i love those but overlanding in them wouldnt really be possible since there is such a huge lack of space

thanks for the advice!
both sound p great desu
think ill start with pisgah then go from there.

>75 series and defenders everywhere here in Ausfag
seriously go fuck yourself

yeah but factory bumpers cost me like $100-200 to replace and an alloy bullbar is like $800 dollars minimum.
Are they that much lighter than steel bullbars? Steel is flexible and cheaper to weld so they're fixable-ish.
And on the topic of steel rear bumpers. Do I need to revise my suspension after swapping out my stock rear bumper for a metal one? How sturdy are they in the event of rear end collision?

also is there any real technology in rear steel bumpers?
The thing is I can actually weld one for far cheaper than arb or tjm sells them. Main reason I want one is to improve the departure angle. But I dont wanna get fucked when somebody rear ends me or if I dig the ground with it while getting off a steep hill.

Really? I find alloy or steel bars for my vehicle are usually a couple hundred dollarydoos.
Yep, steel is more fixable than alloy, but keep in mind if you've copped a force strong enough to bend a steel bar, there's a good chance a fair chunk of the force would've been put back on the chassis rails.
Being able to fabricate with steel is a pretty good factor. And nothing to rear bars. Just get yourself some lengths of heavy wall RHS and google some build guides. Could be a good opportunity to fab up a swing away spare tyre gate while you're at it.

I'm obviously talking second hand prices in the first sentence.

Use the right kind of steel at the right thickness and youre good

2nd or 3rd gen 4runner?

>p-pls respond

3rd gen faggot

>click for full resolution

Thanks. How does the smaller 4runner/taco compare to the landcruiser "out of the box"? IE is a stock landcruiser more capable than a stock 4runner or taco?

bump

I know in most modern vehicals they make the steel bumper attach so that in the event of a collision the crumple zones are still effective and will deploy airbags if the hit is hard enough.
But really its fitment, time and materials you are paying for. You might be able to make the same 1400 arb bumper for 400 in materials but it will probably take you 40 hours of work. And that is if you dont fuck up on the first one.

Provided both have similar drivers, much the muchness. The lighter weight of the TacoRunner would make things easier in some circumstances, but nothing a competently driven Cruiser couldn't achieve. You'd be splitting hairs.
I think MPG and required space would be the governing factor for me.
This. Forgot to mention a lot of the price goes into RnD working with manufacturer's safety systems to an OEM standard.

Can you tell me why Americans calling ATV/Quads "four wheelers" makes me so irrationally angry?

Soon as Canadians stop calling snowmobiles snow machines.

I got myself an e-locker axle today

This is good because I like hill-climbs

>buy harbor freight ratchet straps
>do a shit job of strapping my load in
>take pictures of my failures
>post them online

who /overlanding/ here ?

im trying to figure out a good portable shower situation. anyone have any tips?
ive been using just the water i have on me to wash off but that sucks balls in the colder months.

>bought an entire drum brake rear axle assembly because he wanted a locker

You could of slapped in any cheapo lunchbox locker.

"the wag"
FWD/4WD; 6spd granny gear
not the most capable off-roader ever, but tons of fun.
will get you anywhere the 13s can handle

Maybe he wanted an OEM quality solution for cheap rather than some shitty lunchbox locker?

jelly. Those used to be all over central/upstate NY in the early/mid 90s then they all rusted away, along with the Loyales and Wagovans. The Tercel's big advantage (and the 1st gen wagovan) is there's a legit solid rear axle in the rear, which allowed them to articulate way better than any pseudo-offroad crossover made now.

I really want small SUVs to become a thing again, particularly ones that aren't fucking crossovers. Jeep pretty much has the market cornered right now, but with the reintroduction of "mid-size" pickups and the Bronco, I really hope the Jap manufacturers catch on and bring back vehicles along the lines of the Hilux, Jimny, and Montero.

If its the same running gear as the L200 and the early Pajetos then it is bulletproof.

have wondered about using van (or truck) drivetrain to get a true 4Lo...
also, anyone know what 14" rims i could get to fit?

>tfw these cars are still around for less than $1500
godbless the desert southwest

Where can I get a set of Grip Spurs in Europe?

Or something close at least.
Current tires are 185 on a 15" rim.

Wash basin, washcloth, and a good bar of soap is the best way.

Gravity fed low pressure showers are a shit idea.

>yfw it got the job done, and I only had to cut it off the pallet to shift it around and fit it in the back

>yfw i secured it to solid anchor points

youre fucking dumb, I'm not putting that garbage in my daily. Also, swapping an axle and a front diff is much easier than modifying my other axle to fit the locked 3rd member, and having to set up my gears again.

How does Veeky Forums feel about the Brute?

>no lightbar
>not on pavement

Well, I like this one.

>babby's first 4x4

my 4x4 goes from rwd to 4wd hi > 4wd lo > diff lock 4wd

i've only used rwd and 4wd hi

are the others "safe" to try in the right conditions?

truck is 20 years old, 100 000km and i got it last year

4wd hi and 4wd low can be used on the same terrain, but low is for when you need less speed and more torque. Good for crawling or going down hill. Never use 4wd on the road.

The locker is for when youre in a situation when your wheels are going to spin (as in lose traction) and keep the vehicle from moving forward. No need to use it otherwise, you should actually keep it off if you have sufficient traction.

This. Would love to find a complete OEM locking rear diff assembly for the Paj.
Fuck aftermarket ratchet and air lockers.

I wouldn't pay that kind of money just to turn a Wrangler into a pickup truck. Usually there are other options, and even in the US you can just buy a midsize pickup truck in the first place. The Brute costs you tens of thousands of dollars extra just to be a special snowflake.

also, wrangler pickup is coming back

They've said that for years now.

If only they could give it a four cylinder ISB Cummins and D44/D60 drivetrain, then they'd have a proper US J79 Landcruiser alternative.

>I'm not putting that garbage in my daily.
There's nothing wrong with lunchbox lockers.

>already have factory rear locker
>cheapo aftermarket rear lockers are based almost entirely on the factory locker's design and operation, but are stronger
>buy aftermarket front locker
My DD is locked front and rear without expensive e lockers. It's not a big deal. With the front hubs unlocked it handles just like a factory open diff truck on the road 99.9% of the time.

>modifying my other axle to fit the locked 3rd member
You don't have to modify the axle for a lunchbox locker.

>and having to set up my gears again.
Not that setting up gears is hard, especially if they've already been setup, but you don't have to set them up again for a lunchbox locker.

>shitty uncomfortable drive to get accustomed to

the other lockers are not stronger, toyota e-lockers are highly sought after for strength, quality and reliability. Serious off roaders in places like Australia buy their vehicles fully locked from the factory

this e-locker is not expensive

I only mentioned modifying the housing because i was explaining why i bought the whole assembly instead of just the third member

Hey /ORG/.

I am on the market for an FJ Cruiser, which will be both my first offroad rig and the first car I've bought myself. I plan on using this as a daily driver while I'm at school, where it will probably actually spend most of its time parked while I'm using a bike to get around and occasionally use the FJ to drive somewhere or go offroading.

I have found several in my area, and it comes down to:

>2011 with 73k miles for $22k, air conditioner rattles
>2008 with 99k miles for $18k, cracked plastic panel driver side door, front trailer hitch installed
>2007 with 84k miles for $18k, haven't been to the dealer to check it out
>A whole gaggle of 07s and 08s for sale by private sellers on CL with anywhere from 100k-125k miles all from $15k-$18k

Which of these is the better deal? I really have my heart set on the FJ, but should I just get a taco or 4runner (also used, of course) for practical reasons? Are there any differences between these FJ model years I should be aware of?

I don't know too much about trucks Veeky Forums, so please help an user out. Also, like I said, I'm a young user and this is the first time I'm going in the dealership by myself and I don't want to get cheated.

Many thanks.

>shitty uncomfortable drive to get accustomed to
Except for not.

Or he could just, you know, buy a complete factory housing and have a result that's superior and easy to install than the aftermarket option anyway.

Which is better for offroading Automatic or Manuel?

Automatic for driving off from a standstill or climbing a vertical wall, manual I you know how to drive.

drive to west virginia it's amazing for off road and fishing it's the only thing that state has though

why not toyota?

jeeps are pure garbage

Elaborate.

I've heard I can give the front of my '93 Navara a bit of lift by adjusting the torsion bars. I plan on using blocks on the rear because i'm a cheapass and have another car to DD.

How do I go about this?

Pretty much the only advantage to an FJC over a 4Runner is that you can get a manual.

Can confirm a front end lift with a rattle gun on the torsion bars, and is common with torsion suspended 4x4s.
And go with extended shackles, don't use blocks.

automatic is much better for wheeling and general offroading
manuel is better for overlanding though since its more reliable. 1 or two gears go out you can still limp home, with auto if that happened youd be fucked

i like it but its overpriced as fuck for what it is
if i was going to buy an overpriced vehicle from aev itd be the prospecter

why dont you like arb air lockers?
ive only heard great things about them

sure it is faggot

I had front and rear ARB lockers on a J75 Landcruiser pickup I use to own. Of the 5 years I owned it with the lockers fitted I had constant line leakages, which would require attention about once every six months (having the compressor constantly charging to keep the unit locked is irritating as all buggery) until towards the end an O-ring inside the front unit failed (exhibiting a lack of function and a constant stream of air flowing from the diff breather confirmed this).
That doesn't take into account the amount of water vapor that finds it's way into the diff oil over the service life of the air lockers.

Only lockers I'd ever go with from now on are either factory units for a vehicle I care about, or MAYBE ratchet type lunchbox lockers if it's to be fitted to a budget weekend warhorse.

>that's superior
That's debatable.

>easy to install than the aftermarket option
And that's false. Lunchbox lockers are a piece of cake.

>tfw ko2s on a 2003 silverado 2wd

I want to die

Grandad left me the truck so i cant get rid of it

Severe issues with premature rust anywhere that isn't a desert. And sometimes even in the desert.

Theres always cable lockers.

Eaton electromagnetic lockers mate. The only way to go.

No airleakers for me, ever again.

How can anyone hate this?

>pro tip, you can't