What's Veeky Forumss opinion on the Toyota Supra?

What's Veeky Forumss opinion on the Toyota Supra?

I personally use an MK3 for a weekend drive.

Other urls found in this thread:

atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/5648841987.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>FF
how can Toyota even compete when they lost to a V6

the supra is a six cylinder.

and when was FF a reliable source on cars?

I'm not entirely sure as to what's going on here but it's funny

pigfat underpowered shitmobile that eats headgaskets and is absolutely fucking gorgeous

my MK3 only blew a head gasket when i was retaded and threw a 17.4 PSI turbo in it.

supras get alot of hate on Veeky Forums because of their weight. i love em though, nice mk3

yeah, should hear the story of how i got one in my hands. 5 speed with 9 thousand miles in 2012 for a whopping 12k

dam son, theres a guy on cl selling one with a 2jz. id buy if i had the money/time to work on it

atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/5648841987.html

the manuals are really hard to find with the MK3s.
turns out, the transmissions couldn't pass SMOG tests for the longest time. by the time they passes SMOG, they were at the end of their model, and the MK4s successed them.

>weight
>1450kg from factory

?????

MFW I didn't know apex lived in my home state. >.>

Wow. Is that how the turbo was marketed? "This turbo will produce 17.4psi"?

Veeky Forums still calls em pigfat

yeah, well; no- but yeah; it was 18, but it went to 17.4 on a dyno before the gaskets went

neat

Turbos arent sold on a psi rating genius.

Marketed ≠ Sold

Have anyone ever tried to put Camry's V6 into MK3?

Why don't they make driver focused interiors anymore?

So people don't watch videos on their 30 inch touchscreen center console and crash into a tree

Why do that when you can put in a 1/2jz?

Do you think smog is an acronym?

>all that plastic everywhere
>stupid spaceship design badly executed
holy shit probably the worst interior after TVR

Because it's hueg 3.5 liters 275 hp engine..

Also proven to be reliable when boosted. Who is going to adapt a gearbox to a transverse Camry engine for a rwd Supra?

I know that people at least swapped those engines in AW20s.

no i just like shouting smog.

still partial to MKI, my 1979 had everything original but battery, tires, and spark plugs until 2011. not bad for Toyotas first EFI car

>all that plastic everywhere

Toyotas hardly bad for that, if anything GM form 1998-2005 was. my 2000 Silverado has more interior plastic than MJ's dead body

MkIIIs are some of my favorite cars

People who have owned these, lay it to me straight: how much of a money pit are these beauties?

they realy aren't; they're actually really cheap to own.

in all my years of owning an MK3 i've changed exactly
1 batterey
two sets of head gaskets
alternator
rear shocks
set of tires

i've had it since 2010.

maybe i'm just lucky, but they're really well put together.

Can confirm. My 2000 GMC is plastic, my mom's old 2001 impala was all plastic.

Howd yall know I had a boner rn

That's reassuring. I had a friend of a friend who had one and it ended up costing him thousands to keep on the road to the point where he had to sell it. I should have asked him what mileage his was at.

I can't decide whether Mk3 has 80s or 90s aesthetics. I mean 2 is obviously 80s and 4 is obviously 90s, I guess it's somewhere in the middle.

it's 80s to me.

It's an 80's car with the 90's rounded edges.

I can second this, I've dd-ed my non-turbo 5-spd mk3 for coming up to four years now in Canada. It's been pretty damn bulletproof, aside from regular maintenance things that come with age. I haven't even gone through a headgasket yet, but i'll be tackling a preventative changeover at 200,000km. I bought it at 135,000km.

Veeky Forums really really loves hating on these cars, and no they're not fast, especially n/a's. Honda Fit Sports give them a run for their money. However, you will never find a more comfortable, sexy and reliable car that is more than 25 years old, PROVIDED previous owners have taken decent care of it and you have too.
Fun as fuck in the winter too.

TL/DR: If you find one that's been taken care of for a good price, you'll always remember it fondly.

pic related, mine when I bought it.

That's pretty much what I'm looking for: a $6k GT car. Was looking at the SC400, but it looks awful and is too reliable for me with that fancy 1UZ it's got.

I just wish you could get the digital dash in LHD.

Haha, they're sexy but I hear they're also a bit finicky. Definitely look around! The hardest part is being patient. I waited a full year to buy my supra; the original price was $6500 Canadian. I sold my prelude I had before to some fuck-off kid and made money off of it, then went into the shop selling the supra and talked the owner (who I had been in constant contact with for a good month beforehand) down to $4250. Apparently it wasn't even his, it belonged to his good friend who bought himself a Maserati as his new summer car and couldn't be bothered to keep the Supra in storage any longer.
So yeah I definitely lucked out, but it just goes to show that its a gamble between patience and perfect timing. It'll kick you in the balls more than it'll work out for you. I lost out on a delicious ruby coloured MR2 turbo right before I bought my Supra. I think I would have still been happier with this choice though!

Not certain about Veeky Forums, but I like them.

Currently have a 2JZ swapped Mk. III that I'm selling, just purchased an RZ from japanland and is currently being imported. On top of the incoming RZ and current Mk. III I also have a parts 1JZ TT-R Mk. III (that really only needs a new bellhousing, flywheel, etc. that I stole for the swap to be back in perfect order). My old man is also obsessed with them, he has a parts '93 RZ and his ludicrously modified '94 RZ.

I have an unhealthy obsession with these cars.

His getting a shitton of work done and mine mid-swap last Summer

here's said parts '93. Had the F&F decals and everything on it when purchased.

Personally I find them pretty damn reliable with general know how of vehicles, the JZ series engines are fucking glorious and make power without much effort

If OP is considering one I'd recommend it

Badly want a mk3 that shit looks so good

I would give my left nut to have a 2jz supra for 3.6k, you burgers have it sooo good its not even funny

The mk3 interior is goat

If a MK3 was offered to me at a decent price, I'd probably go for it. One of the best looking cheap imports along with the RX7 FC.

>manual transmission
>analogue dash
>non-maroon interior

is this the rarest optioned mk3 in existence?

tuned supras are godly, like that one guy from japan who made a full carbon fibre bodykit and had like 1200kg with 900hp....back in the early 2000's

confirmed for never having sat in one.

the plastic is meh, but the actual feel of the cockpit is amazing.

my supra is exactly the same tbqh, besides the fact that it's cockpit is on the left.

Same.
Even though I'm domestic iron, that was a sexy beast.
And a 6 banger that was doing v8 power at the time.

still no replacement for displacement.

but really, in the 80s and 90s, muscle was kinda flimsy.

nah the ones in australia and japan dont have maroon interior and most are manual

I drive an na mk3 with almost 168k miles, still feels great. My only complaint is that the gearbox is utter shit, will post pics later. Seriously, for under $4k you won't find a comfier car, i got mine for $3k and then replaced the water pump (it still had the original) and a coolant hose and its running great. It's not slow, either, it's just not necessarily fast. Overall, 9/10 would reccomend for a comfy car thats fun to toss around in the bends, especially with the lsd.

huh, should check the VIN on mine to see if it's originally an american import from the manufacturer of not.

because mine is blue with a manual.

now that i think about it. VIN checks probably don't tell me that.

my bad, haven't had morning coffee yet.

I thought maroon was just for maroon cars? Like, they color coordinated the exterior paint and interior color.

mk2 master race

mk3s are sexier in my opinion, much more it's own car than just a 6 cylinder Celica.

vehicle pr0n right here.

righto

It's not front wheel drive newfriend

Are you kidding? More than half of Veeky Forums would literally suck a dick for one of those

Cuz that was a 90s meme

OP here
here's the story on how i got my MK3
got a MK3 for 6k in literally factory condition

>be me
>2011
>looking for supra
>find an old car dealership who's owner had passed away
>turns out, all the cars that this old geaser couldn't sell were stuffed in a warehouse
>get in contact with her daughter whom is selling all the cars in the warehouse
>i go down there
>there's literally 60s corvettes amung 90s celicas in there
>talk to lady whom doesn't know the difference between an inline 6 and a v6
>approach Supra
"how much for this?"
>"that toyota?"
"yeah."
>"12 thousand"
"it's a shitty 20 year old Celica from the 90s, they didn't even sell them new at that price."
>open up hood
"shitty 4 cylinder, it's been sitting for 20 years. that's gone."
>"oh."
"but i need a daily driver, how's 5 thousand?
>"eight"
>we go back and fourth and settle on six thousand.
>the old dealer even drained all the fluids out of the cars when they got to the warehouse.
>freakin best day of my life when i finally got all the fluids back in it.

>What's Veeky Forumss opinion on the Toyota Supra?

generally inferior to the RX-7

> rx7 rotary weighs 50 lbs less than a mustang v8
> half the hp
> apex seals and direct oil injection vs Toyota reliability

>Toyota reliability

HEAD GASKET
E
A
D

G
A
S
K
E
T

would it even be worth the trouble to unfuck the suspension geometry?

does anyone have the 'fucking white people making so much damn noise' version of this pic?

the MK3 is actually considered a 'luxury sport' by toyota, so it has a helluva lot of body-roll, but yeah, it's wurf to unfuck it if you wanna go rallying.

stupid Toyota, everyone knows you're supposed to get negative camber during droop

that looks like Lucerne Valley

or maybe Lake LA?

Isn't that a fucking works dakar car

If someone's got a pic of a stock MKIII on a lift I'd like to see if it really sags like that on street gear.

here

hektik

the MK3s have to be white for me to find them aesthetic, otherwise they look junky.

incorrect

>black rims
now that's just cheating.

Red is an okay color and that's that
Well they are Meister S1's

I like 80s wedges but mkiii supras don't do it for me

there's a 1982 supra not far from me for 1500 dollars. Should i look more into it? there wasn't much in the ad but i did email the seller. waiting for a response.

check the vin man.
this is an MK2, yes?

don't forget to switch the head gasket and timing belt no matter what. then you're good to go.

>mfw I sold my mk3 when I was 19 because I was too lazy/broke to fix it
>mfw I now have the time and money to fix it
I fucking miss that car it didn't even need much done to it

i''ve got a MK3 Supra that's been sitting for two years.

the only reason it's sitting is that it had a eucalyptus tree fall on it so now the body is dented on the hood and right front fender

I own a '88, it's solid and especially enjoyable after driving a 5500 RAM all day.

Nope. My Mk3 is pearl and came with a maroon interior. I've since pulled the carpet, ordered new seats, and have someone wrapping the dash in vinyl.

what should i change on this as preventive things?

i know i want to change the oil
timing belt
filters
anything else i should unfuck?

SPs

Mk3's are sexy as fuck.

WHY did you need to point that out? Corey.

this
very good tastes m80

>he didnt buy a C3 vette for 6k

I love mine. It is a bit of a money pit, but I love the reactions I get when I drive it around.