So what exactly is the point of a turbocharger when you can just increase displacement?

So what exactly is the point of a turbocharger when you can just increase displacement?

inb4 > too big/heavy
just use a fucking rotary

>someone saved a picture of my dog
for what purpose?

Because emissions

i thought it was a cool dog

>implying a Chevy V8 can beat a Ford V6
LOL

Thanks I guess?
His name is Teddy. He's a 12 year old Pekingese/Pug mix. Big attention whore. Never makes a sound though.

turbos are more fun and sound better

Is it better to have blower, supercharger or turbo charger?

I want to fuck that dog.

Double turbosupercharged with a blower

emissions cuckery and more power from smaller displ

but unfortunately this is yet another bait thread so there will be no coherent discussion taking place ;_9

Now we're talking.

NO ONE IS TOUCHING MY TEDDY INAPPROPRIATELY!

I want to see this on the new Camaro

Boring out jugs is time-consuming and expensive and can weaken the block. Some cars I know that are popular for a bore have problems cracking the cylinders.
Turbos are cheap,easy power

>Turbos are cheap,easy power
but that's wrong

i didn't necessarily mean increasing the displacement of a given engine.

>implying someone has never blown up their engine with a turbo.
>implying turbos don't cause unnecessary engine stress

I can bore or stroke my 4cyl to its very limit and maybe see a maximum 40% increase in power
Or I can comfortably turbo charge the engine for a minimum of 100%+ increase in power for significant less cost and time than increasing displacement, also with superior power delivery

Turbo charging is the be all end all of increasing power and anyone who disagrees is an ignorant country bumpkin who would rather spend 20k on a fully hectic custom big block making 600hp than make 1000hp+ with less than $1000 in parts and a junkyard sbc truck engine

Compared to cylinder bores, I'd rather turbo

I didn't mean boring out an engine, I meant using a bigger engine

There's no replacement for displacement. Stats wise, the large displacement engines will be better in hp/tq, be more reliable, be lighter , more responsive, no lag, better power band, etc. You literally can't argue this

But emissions stops this. Now you need cars that , at low speeds, will have the power and emissions of a 4 cylinder or v6, and at needed speeds, the turbo spools and boost comes in to provide that power of a larger displacement engine.
Ironically irl conditions, you lose all these perceived benefits and just have a monster concoction just because the government wants to fuck you.

Probably wouldn't even affect outward visibility

oh cool laptimes for cars I'll never be rich enough to own gee thanks alphonse you really saved me one now im gonna go key my neighbors impala cause gm is so shit xd

assmad gm fangirl spotted

bump