Delivery Car

Alright Veeky Forums i'm looking for a good car for delivering pizzas. Help me out here fellas, it's gotta be stick and get good mpg's. I'm currently looking at some civics and corollas, however if you goons can suggest something better i'd be down to hear it.

the corolla will never break down but it will be soul crushing just owning it.

My budget is maxed at 8k (the cheaper the better)
any platform but preferrably AWD or RWD
Just trying to see what you guys might know of i.e. cars to avoid or ones to look for.

second gen Subaru Legacy's and first gen Subaru Foresters.
AWD is standard, gas mileage is decent, they're available with a 5 speed manual, and there's a good amount of aftermarket support should you wanna turn it into a project later on.
You can also easily find them under 2k... well, at least up here. If you're somewhere down south like Florida, anything with a Subaru badge is genuinely rare.
And because it's not an Impreza, 99% of them are unmolested, but they share the Impreza chassis and engines... it's just a bit bigger.

CRX lad

Wrong

I'm waiting for MetroAnon to pop in, he runs pizzas in his Geo Metro and it gets somewhere north of 45 MPG. Shitbox has all the power of any nursing home inhabitant but it's cheap, easy to fix, cheap, reliable, and cheap. Perfect for pizza runs.

>gas mileage is decent
but but but but

Miata is always the answer.

>awd
>good mpg

Get something with a 4a. Aw11, 86, etc. Fun, cheap, good on gas and tough as a rock.

Op here these all are pretty solid suggestions, keep em coming if we can.

you're on right track for what cars you should be looking for. if you could find yourself a crx hf (good luck tho), that would be ideal. they're basically the rich man's geo metro.

>just get a 30 year old car!

Get the most fuel efficient and reliable station wagon you can.

Being the one guy available to deliver a 50 or 75 pizza order will be worthwhile, believe me.

I said decent. not fantastic. Name another AWD vehicle in that price range that's just as practical and has better mileage. Oh wait. you can't without naming another Subaru.
They have that market cornered and have since the 90's.
The only time anyone encroached on their territory was when Suzuki sold the SX4 in America from 2007-2012. The SX4 (pic related) was available with AWD, a 2.0L I4, a 5 or 6 speed manual depending on year., and better mileage than the Subarus.

The cheapest functional civic or other tiny cheap stick shift you can find that you can rice and hoon in your free time.

Why waste putting lots of wear and miles on something nice doing deliveries?

E C O B O O S T
C
O
B
O
O
S
T

Show me any ecoboost car in OP's budget

mmm

Miata.

Don't spend 8k on a delivery beater, it's not worth it and it'll take forever to get the money you spent back. Trust me, buy a 2k Corolla, delivery driving is hard on a car. You don't want to spend 8k on your beater and if it's your only car then you're an idiot.

i did it for a year in a maxima

If you work at a busy store, you need a mid size or larger vehicle

>leaving the store with 5 topped off bags on 3 deliveries
>if you stack them, they all collapse

i suggest any honda that shrugs off being slam shifted.

Anything that is small will have an advantage. Small means better manueverability and cheaper cost of parts and is easier to work on.

What's wrong. Simple, reliable engine. Not a load of electronics to go wrong, and economical.

>le retarded "all old cars are bad and break" Veeky Forums meme

>E C O B O O S T
Shit mpgs/reliability are not helpful in the pizza game.

Oh look, it's that shame ford shill.
Oy vey!

>shit reliability
[citation needed]

>shit reliability
meanwhile at gm

kek, btfo

There's a bunch on my CL for sale and 4 that run under 1k. Are they that rare?

This. My ef hatch was a great pizza delivery car.
>Could fit 25 pizzas in the back.
>d15 4 spd got 25mpg at 5000rpm
>hardly did any maintence

Why are there so many pizza delivery boys on Veeky Forums? Is the pay any good? Like what's the approximate yearly salary if you also count the tips?

13-14 dollars an hour for me right now driving around a 500 dollar civic

I've delivered 60+ hours a week for 3 years in my 99 accord v6, that gets about 20mpg city.

I made about 35k last year in cash. Yesterday I made $210. I spend $400/no on gas.

I've put 60k miles on my accord doing it, blew up the transmission 20k ago.

My suggestions
>lightweight hatchback that's still fun like integra or celica or Mazda3
>if auto transmission mount a trans cooler for all your city driving abuse
>abuse the shit out of gas station and credit card rewards. I get 4% cash back on my creditcard as well as $20 in free groceries per month.
>keep $1000 aside for repairs and get gud credit

I grossed $25k (that's before gas) the last year I did it, that was working 30-35 hours/week. Not an awfully busy place though, so you could probably make more.

Honestly now that I've been working an actual job for a year and a half now I like this much more. Depending on people to hand you money for no reason just to make more than minimum wage feels like shit, but I'm probably in the minority feeling that way.

Would an AW11 be a decent pizza delivery car? It's good on gas, but I'm not sure it can fit a whole lot of pizzas between the frunk and trunk.

How many pizzas do you think they take at one time?

No clue. I'm considering applying for a job.

I imagine you can fit 5-6 on the passenger seat

>Would an AW11 be a decent pizza delivery car?
No. It's way too small. You need something mid-size with a back seat like a Subaru Legacy or a Nissan Maxima

Yeah, that's probably the only way. Welp, guess the car is going to smell like pizza from now til the end of time.

Just get the shittiest shitbox you can find.
Geo Metro, Civic, Corolla or some shit like that.

If its too thirsty you will end up losing money.
If its not a shitbox, you will just be throwing all its value away because wear and tear

Depends on the joint. It's ideal to have as few pizzas on top of each other as you can manage, so in my sedan I could comfortably carry 4 orders which I did on a regular basis. In my wagon, I could carry 6 or 7 normal sized orders or if we were using the big insulated bags with racks inside then I could deliver orders as big as 70 pizzas which I also did on a relatively regular basis.

>Welp, guess the car is going to smell like pizza from now til the end of time.
Nah, it wears off in a year or so after you quit.

Also don't deliver in a car you really like, or one you expect to keep for long after you quit. Things fail quicker under the stress delivery puts on a car.

3rd gen mustang. Become the American takumi. Dont spill the soda

I would also like to say that the local Dominos used to have a guy who used a beat up 1986 Pontiac Fiero as a delivery car. Nice guy but kinda creepy.

Is it completely out of the question to do it?
I'm getting a really good deal on the car.

An AW11 is not an appropriate car for pizza delivery.
See:

You can deliver pizza just fine in a two seater. It's not like they're going to send you out with a dozen orders at once.

In the event that some jackass orders 70 pizzas for a party, they just send the guy with the hatchback and folding seats.

Chevy HHR
Nearly every pizza place in my town has one driving.

>delivering pizzas

Better go for the flamethrower option, I occasionally browse /k/ and in their "when have you had to return fire" threads, it's always pizza or sandwich delivery.

I'm thinking of delivering pizzas for the summer, about 3 months. Should I use my DD or try to find a 500$ beater.

I own a 4th gen sho. I'd use my 323 wagon or a 318ti before the sho, because mpg.

$500 beater

ae86 obv

Well I took a look at my local Craigslist, and it looks like it'll be more like 800-1000 for a beater. Is it still worth it?

>Buying a car for a job

This is the most retarded thing I've ever heard. Your work should be providing you with the tools to do the job.

Used prius.

Used to deliver with one, it cost me about $1/night in fuel. Mostly city driving.

Other then that, crx or civic hatch.

Pizza delivery joints aren't going to have a fleet of cars at their disposal, dipshit.

OP here would and older BMW 3 series shit the bed on me?

>German
It'll break before you get it home.

How about a Golf TDI?

That Roadmaster is FUCKING COOL

ummm you get payed to drive??

I shit you not, my local delivery guy drives an E60 M5. Not once has the pizza been cold.

I bought a 94 Civic CX hatchback with the 70hp engine swapped out for one similar to the Si of the same generation. Was already straight piped and sensors deleted. I get 33MPG city minimum with mixed low RPM cruising and doing 5k+ shifts.

It's been great since I bought it. Learning how to fix it as I go and I already put ~30K miles on it in a year. Only paid $1300 for it.

What's it like to be a delivery guy? Are the horror stories real?
I know someone who delivers in his Miata, but is that realistic for me?
I'm willing to take out the passenger seat, for room (and weight reduction, bro)

I've been doing it for around a year and a half and there aren't really many horror stories. I guess it depends on the area you pick.

Also big orders have never really been worth it to me. They rarely tip more than the average delivery. Sometimes they won't tip at all.

If you got space for three to four bags, you're good. You can stack them on top of each other pretty easily. 90% of my orders all fit in my passenger seat and footwell.

>Spending money on a FWD shitbox

How the fuck did it take this long for this to come up

Fucks sake

Fuck of with your meme mobile.

It looks good user. I bet those pizzas are never delivered cold.

Yeah meanwhile ecoboost won ford in the lemans

>3l/100km
>cheap as fuck
>can fix by yourself
however most are rusty as fuck now

geo metro

Its the next best thing to being Dagumi himself

Is a Saturn ion good for deliveries? Ive only had it for a couple months so I'm not sure how the reliability is just yet. What's a good place to work for? I thought about round table but I have. A few friends that worked there and they all hated it

Pizza places have a variety of ways they pay. Big companies like Pizza Hut, Dominos, or Papa John's are safe bets.

I worked for Marco's for like three weeks and their payment method was shit, one dollar per delivery with a fuck huge delivery range. I get paid by the mile at Pizza Hut and it's much better.

Why would you need such a large car for delivering pizzas?

Somebody at the Papa John's down the road delivers in a fucking Ford Excursion. It's mind blowing every time I see it.

literally this. it's reliable af, fairly easy to repair, doesn't cost much and at 960kg, its fuel economy is also decent (mine needs 9l/100km in awful city traffic) . also fun af and the trunk will fit a couple pizzas

Maybe the whole pizzeria is in it.

> using your own car for a job
It's better to not take the job at all.
The money isn't worth it when you factor in the costs.

>spending 8k to make shit pay at a shit job

Dude if you spend more than $2000 you're a retard.

Definitely a Corolla

just make sure you get a sedan or anything with a separate trunk. If not the smell will drive you mad.