Just got a new truck

Just got a new truck

1996 Ford f150 5.0 auto 180kmi
Highest mile vehicle I've had. Wondering if anyone could help with some questions.

Have occasionally get a winning noise and lose power on acceleration at slow speeds in gear what would cause this?

Recommendations for tires

How can I remove Window stickers without damaging tint?

I like the chrome bumper I'm sure I could make it shinny for a little while but how can I keep the rust from coming back?

Seams to be running a little warn but still in the acceptable range is it worth messing with?

>a winning noise
>and lose power on acceleration
Does it feel like Trans is slipping?

>Whining noise under acceleration
Odds are it is slipping. Do you have a tach?

Never felt with one slipping but I don't think that's what it is the motor sounds like slows down at the same time....but I also don't have the noise when out of gear

* Never had a slipping transmission before but...

Also if I just hold it slightly above idle in park it seams to slow down and stumble....but it seams to drive fine down the road

The rpm feels about the same in normal opportunity as another 96 f150 my grandparents have I drove for a year.

First off, unless some retard installed the tint, its on the inside of the glass. So if sticker is on the outside, use a NEW razor blade and soapy water- wet it with the soapy water first, then scrape. Helps prevent scratching.
Chrome is what it is. Polish it and no matter what you do it will accelerate rust.
You can polish it (DO NOT use steel wool) use chrome polish, then coat with one of the chemicals that converts rust into a paintable surface/stable element- its in the paint isle.
If its running warm, then theres a reason- fix it.
Probably bad clutch on clutch fan (check how to test by spinning fan while engine is off)- replace with flex fan.
Or its blocked radiator. Stock radiators are the bare minimum, any restriction will cause it to be less cooling than needed.
Well, 180k is overdue for a lot of failures.
8.8 differential for one.
But that usually doesn't decrease power.

>180k is overdue for a lot of failures.

What? my 1998 5.0 explorer with 220k is still running just fine. tired engine but runs fine.

It's looks to have been very well maintained untill 2 years ago when the guy I bought it from got it..... additional transmission cooler, many parts have been replaced

Fluid dosnt smell burnt or look bad...its almost suspiciously to clean though

Block the wheels, put it in neutral, slide underneath and twist/rock/whatever on the driveshaft. Check ujoints, diff play, output shaft on transmission for ANY kind of play.
And for tires that's on you. Too many brands/compounds/sizes/purposes

After 130k fords like to eat fuel pumps and diff's (along with t-5's)
Sure I've seen plenty hit 300k and still be on factory brake shoes, but usually they've had some hard failures before that.

More info...some times it has no problem at all like almost can't avoid spinning tires in gravel Sort of like a manual transmission... thinking it could be a torque converter issues thoughts on this?

What am I checking this for I thought that would be more of a check for clunking

If output shaft on transmission has any slop, it shows trans has issues.
If the torque converter is slipping, it will show higher rpms. Also will usually start to slip when hot, when cold may work fine. Not usually a whining noise though- that's why I was going for transmission slop.

Alright...only had it hot twice so far this is happening when cold and it might be happening when hot to.
Basically you have me checking the bearings in the rear of the transmission if I understand that wright.

Stumble could be a fuel filter, might as well have it replaced when you have some other stuff done to it. $30 parts and labor. Totally worth it for a 21 year old truck if it's never been done.
The cooler running the better. Could be radiator problems. Make sure it has enough coolant. Might be a faulty thermostat too, not kicking in until it's a little warm.

Substitute 3/4 quart of oil for Lucas oil stabilizer when you have it changed. Really helps extend engine life, not as much wear with cold starts and quiets the engine down a little. That's a basic maintenance thing, not related to any of your problems.

Already put 75$ into it. Oil, oil filter, rad cap (torn rubber), oil cap (still sealed but was missing grip), antifreeze

Going to get more antifreeze and do a flush soon.( Probably just run water through a few times then fill )

Got plugs today (not installed) need to check cap, rotor, and wires.

Probably needs a filter but I don't have the special tool....I'll try to get that figured out tomorrow

Also air filter

Ya that can filter is stupid.
I've used home made tools (ends of hose clamps formed into half moons), but its worth the couple bucks to get the right one.
Clean air meter (special aresol spray) and check idle position sensor (suppose to be as close to .99 volts at idle as possible, other than that can affect shit- can check with volt/ohm meter wired inline when idling- I have aftermarket ecu so it shows on my laptop).
I've got $20 that says it whines all the time and you only realize it when you lack power.
Diff is shot.
Lack of power is overheating.

sounds like you'll have the whole spark system checked out.
I'd check fuel pressure with in line tester before guessing about other stuff. Not sure what specs are but the internet should tell you with some searching.

Appreciate the responses I'll look at it today and get back. Only had the truck since Wednesday...worst case it's still better than my last truck. It needed transmission rebuild, diff, valves them seals, exaust, drivers door, ect....

Started it up this morning voltage was low had the speaking and fairly running....gave it a little gass voltage came up, noise stoped. Leaning toward an alternator trying to freeze up...have had other voltage problems... waiting for tires now

>whinning noise
sounds like either the trannys going out or you need some more power steering fluid
>recommended tires
when i had my 92 f150 i had some goodyear wrangler all terrains that were pretty good
>make the chrome shiny
i was a cheap kid and used turtle wax and it worked pretty good
>window tint
you can go to autozone/walmart and theyll have a kit with a razerblade for like $7
>worth keeping
the truck will last you a long time if you take care of it, and its a good reliable work truck that still holds up imo

Looks like a good solid automobile.

My '81 F100 does that whining noise and loss of power thing too. Best I can tell, that's just its way of telling you that it loves you spoiler/spoilerAnd ThatYouShouldn'tHaveBoughtAFord/spoiler.
Check to see if your shifter or transmission is fucked up, if not its just ferd gear ratios and a delicate gearbox/drivetrain.

Got the codes pulled today

Voltage gauges on those things are wonky, only real reliable way is to test the voltage at the alternator.