/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Tf8BzbACjVg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Op pic is kinda nice. I've experimented a bit with creating maps in GIMP, using the exported detailed maps, but I've always gotten stuck at placing the civ borders.

Also, having a separate mastershit thread is genius move.

>three threads

based three threads edition

Well I checked the archive before creating this one, turns out I created it 8 seconds after the first one.

Post times say this one was first.

Oh, wait. You meant the mastershit edition. Well, fuck that thread.

Usually when I search wtg in the catalog it's the war thunder general sperging out and making three different threads

Oh well shit, I didn't notice someone made a thread at almost the same time.

Migrated back over here btw, I guess I didn't refresh the catalog that last time.

how to become a mist zombie?

>getting the hang of it now
>start new fort
>this is to be my triumph
>all forts have been super quiet so far
>I haven't lost once
>what was that about difficulty
>anyway find the perfect place etc
>everything goes smootly

>it comes autumn, and sandstone approaches
>a caravan has arrived
>fuck them, I don't need anything at this stage
>go on about my dwarven lives
>and suddenly
>The Weresloth Thad Uthorosnonu has come!
>Now you will know why you fear the night.
>oh fuck
>defenses are nonexistant
>I have like 19 dwarves and 100% them are in immediate danger
>i built a bridge to act as a panic seal of the whole fortress
>just one thing
>no lever
>panicingly try to hook up the bridge to a lever before the monstrosity enters our lives
>"the caravan is leaving"
>that's what I would do
>rush a dwarf up to the bridge on a suicide mission
>and before the entrance I see
>the mangled corpse of the monster
>in a pool of blood
>mfw when the leaving merchants slashed the menace in half single handedly on their way out
>mfw I lost three dwarves to that fuck
>mfw a group of random merchants saved our whole fortress from absolute devastation

>find mist
>hope it makes you a zombie

All there is to it.

>tfw a weremonkey came and attacked my first fort when I had 20 dwarves
>tfw after like 2 minutes he turned back into a goblin for some reason
>my tormented dwarves maul him to death after watching 8 of their own die

Werebeasts are fucking annoying. It's even worse when they kill a bunch of people and then morph back and get away with it because no one chases them down and kills them.

>had a werebeast kill a bunch of dorfs
>turns back into a human, everyone immediately ignore it
>hunting dog corners it and tears it limb from limb
>then returns to the corpse of his master and stays there
Loyal dog. Good dog.

Werebeasts are no threat as long as you know what you're doing. Even if worst comes to worst, you can still use profession nicknames to keep track of everyone who got bitten.

Whether the beast gets away has very little impact, since most worlds have so many of them that you never kill off all of them in a single fort.

It doesn't matter how much you know what you're doing when they decide to attack early in the first year. Unless you embark with weapons and armor and abuse danger rooms you're not going to have a military that can handle one yet.

Just randomly remembered this from one of the last games I played as long as df.

>be me
>playing ffxi
>totally not addicted, but really am
>hanging out in the aery with a friend and their shell
>early morning
>fafhogg still hasn't popped
>jp shell is there
>they're bullshitting and talking shit to a na shell up there with us
>I start getting involved after overhearing something
>one of the catgirls said something about "storking"
>ask if they meant like a heron or something
>figure out they meant "stalking"
>we start talking about bird cum
>they ask "what mean cum?"
>before we can say anything
>"like corn beef?"
>mfw I explain that 'yes, when I cum there is an explosion of corned beef'
>I should probably see a doctor about that

Fuck I lost track of guy who was bitten. I guess I can wait until he turn.

Also my vampires stopped killing people in crowned rooms so I spare them from punishment (especially since no important dorfs were killed and I have large population).

>(especially since no important dorfs were killed and I have large population).
See that's your line of thought right up until they kill your legendary armorsmith. You're playing russian roulette man.

WHAT THE FUCK are you talking about?

I know. I'm fully aware of risk, but I have large population. And it add some degree of Fun to this.

On other hand, one of those vampires is my queen who so far didn't made any noble demand or mandate. (And she is free to wander into her throne room or whatever instead spending her time in jail what she used to).

Diplomats who are vampires are worse anyway.

Corned beef obviously.

Did you claim faffy at least?

Death... This is truly horrifying...

I'm posting boats until we get boats and fishing in DF

it says I am a cave, I see troglydytes, but I see no cave entrance...

Well I'm not sure why you're expecting to see your own entrance. I'm not even sure how you can see at all because caves have no eyes but whatever I guess.

>critters
You mean vermin? "Critter" is not part of the DF terminology.

>on a super trained town slaying vampire grizzly bear man
>traveling to new town
>nightfall
>4 bogeymen
>oh no
>oh shit I just killed all 4 with my teeth, claws and fists

Well that's impossible user, haven't you heard that bogeymen are THE STRONGEST enemies in the game?

>haven't you heard that bogeymen are THE STRONGEST enemies in the game
Yeah, because this game is easy as fuck

They weren't nearly as dangerous before gaits were introduced in 0.40. In 0.34, any mid-game adventurer could easily kill off a bogey wave without sneaking(which wasn't nearly as OP as in 0.40 and forward).

They're a lot easier when you charge them to knock them down. Their speed is reduced when they're on the ground so you can land hits more reliably.

Hell I can't even remember what the outcome of that one was, I remember one of them which was a hilarious wipe that took place after I had taken sleeping pills when another ls got claim but were unable to prevent rage, and I remember flailing everyone and getting murdered for it a few times.

Yeah but there's still like 8 million of them and they usually just jump away from your charges unless you're a vampire

Note I took the pills to actually sleep, not like "well fuck, they got claim, time for suicide!" which is how it looks without context and I just spit on my screen from laughing over that.

There's like 4-5 and if you're letting yourself get surrounded you deserve to lose. They are quite fast, you're right, but they're never impossible to hit. Obviously if you're playing a weak adventurer you should just avoid them, but you don't need to be hueg in order to stand a chance.

They spawn surrounding you though, and if you get out of their circle they teleport to you. The only way to keep out of that circle is to be a vampire or necromancer so you can stay on sprint without getting tired.

A mid-game adventurer can still kill off a bogey wave. I was exaggerating to poke fun at the user from last not-prematurely-dead thread insisting that bogeys were the hardest creatures in the game.

They are though because everything else is wimpola pansy shit that explodes into gore when you breathe on it.

Not at all. Switch to jog and use the multiattack->dodge technique to keep your distance.

Except hydras, webbing titans/fbs, inorganic dust/deadly syndrome titans, ettins, and night trolls. All of which are more of a threat than a horde of bogeymen, the problem with bogeymen being people trying to outrun them. I learned quickly in my first adventures to keep my speed down, use short waits to let them get close, pingpong them off a tree and dodge away.

>use the multiattack->dodge exploit
Might as well just use DFHack to give yourself masterwork adamantine gear, legendary+5 in all skills and 10000 in all attributes

Night trolls, any demons, angels, titans, or fbs that aren't made of soft materials, any armed and armored weaponmaster sentient, any creature that's been husked or thralled, and every megabeast are all harder to kill and more dangerous than bogeys.

>night trolls
Only a threat if your wrestling skill is shit.
They'll murder you in an instant if you're a newbie adventurer, but once you do some combat training they're a little disappointing.
I'd say they're probably slightly more dangerous than an individual bogeyman, and significantly less dangerous than a full pack of bogeymen.

>any armed and armored weaponmaster sentient
>wrestling
>grab weapon with hand
>mangle their weapon arm while they struggle to regain control of their weapon
>GG EZ
Alternatively
>mangle their leg
>mangle their weapon arm
>GG EZ

Humanoid angels are the exact same thing as bogeymen except armed and armored, with weaker stats, smaller groups and the potential to made of shit like water or whatever. They're the exact same size range as bogeymen and have lower stats, so unless RNG decides to fuck you with angels made of steel or whatever then they are literally just weaker bogeymen who also have weapons.

>built-in game mechanics is an exploit

Angels can be very large, too large to wear their gear as a dorf even, some are tiny, and some of the delicate ones are dangerous for their own reasons, like exploding into superhot flames when you cut them in half.

>built-in game mechanics is an exploit
Yes? It's going to be fixed eventually. Do you think perpetual motion machines and deconstructing trade depots to steal caravan goods aren't exploits either?
Did you think using training axes for woodcutting wasn't an exploit?

Put up a bug report for it.

There is one, and Toady has already said that he's going to address it.
How new R U?

>with weaker stats
Their attributes are procedurally genned within given ranges, just like bogeys'.
>exact same size range
No. Bogeys are always under 20k size, humanoid angels are often much larger than dwarves.
>smaller groups
No. Have you ever attacked a vault?
>armed and armored
Makes an enormous difference, especially considering that they're armed and armored with divine metal.

As for the weaponmasters, they have very high defensive combat skills as well. Their combat rolls follow the same rules as a player character's. You can't just walk up and grab their gear or start pulping their body parts any more than a random goblin could do it to you. Unless you use kisat dur exploits, but that's obviously not what this conversation is about.

Guys, I've noticed plenty RimWorld players play also Dwarf Fortress, and vice-versa. Since both generals are slow, and the games are in the same genre, would you mind merging both?

(I'm asking the same question at /rwg/)

What's RimWorld?

No

"Dwarf Fortress meets Firefly".

>Firefly
Ew.
I mean I guess I could understand how it could to appeal to some people but ehhh.

Anyway, nevermind - it looks like people in both generals are opposed to this.

youtube.com/watch?v=Tf8BzbACjVg

/rwg/ is only a thing because everytime someone tries starting a discussion about here they're run off for off-topic posting. So no, keep your DF clones where they belong. Anywhere but here.

I mean personally I'm not opposed to merging the generals just because I don't like RimWorld. I was fine with Terraria/Starbound general even though I'm not a fan of Starbound.
It's just that usually when you merge generals one of them just takes over and the other one dies out.

I see no evidence to think its an exploit. It comes at the cost of the unlimited fucking dodges of .34.xx.

It doesn't even make you unhittable or whatever, at a minimum night trolls, angels and of course bogeymen can still hit you while you're dodging away.

"Bogeymen are hard" is a meme left over from .34, in which essentially anything can fuck you up with a good hit. In .34, you can be size 110000 and have a limb be rendered permanently nonfunctional by a fucking ordinary crab clipping you in the leg.

I see angels larger than dwarf size all the time, but there are no bogeymen of dwarf size or above.

Sounds retarded. It would accomplish nothing other than confusing newbies and as a way to funnel more shekels into Rim... oh! I get it now.

Not a clone but a game on the same genre. Still - I get what you mean, most people here would rather see a single game general instead.

Merging the two would be like having the same thread for Starcraft 2 and Red Alert.

No, fuck off. You are cancer and I'm sick and tired of you fags shilling your shit game here.

>vampire grizzly bear man going down cave entrance
>see no one but mole dogs
>kill 1 goblin who is randomly on like 15th floor down
>...

>discovered cavern
>now seeing stone wall fortifications
>did someone build a civ down here or?

>seeing a lot of web

>met a gorlak?
>discovered even farther DOWNWARD PASSAGE

We've had green devourers, fire men, and now another rarity, an iron man. It's only the second one I've ever seen. It'll probably get killed by the FB roaming around down here, but it's a neat sighting nonetheless.

So I'm wondering. Would a 4 tile wide hallways with a 1x3 staircase and a 1x1 staircase in the corners be okay or would that lead to pathing lag?

>just btfo a green devourer
>see warm blood cluster
>think it's a civ
>horde of crundles

>using staircases

Don't do this.

Those are some nice colors, user.

There's not a simple answer to your question. It depends on the rest of your layout.
That's asymmetrical, though, and thus should be dropped in magma.

What, and leave an asymmetrical block of obsidian? Get out.

Ah I see. Is there a good guide for layouts? I always see this one and it's been called shitty. And yeah I know asymmetry is the devil, I usually do 3 tile long hallyways and thought I might mix it up.

Vherid dark sand with substituted LCYAN and LMAGENTA, but I don't remember which schemes I took the subs from.

It's not strictly shitty, though it's also no the most efficient possible layout. It's efficient enough for most forts. I personally don't stockpile a lot of those raw materials, dye and thread for example, as I feel it just makes extra jobs when your worker could take them right from the shop. You may feel differently, and that's fine too. I also think high-efficiency layouts are boring after you've done it a few times, but if you haven't it's worth doing just to get a feel for workflows and production chains, and learn how to avoid (or intentionally create) bottlenecks.

Cool, thanks user.

It was inevitable

dfg please help!

There's a pair of human visitors who tried to leave the map through the edge of the river, and now they're stuck at the very edge of the map in the draining river tiles where the water depth fluctuates between 4-6, so they're not drowning to death. I suspect them swimming there eternally is doing bad things to my fps. How do I get rid of them?

Water depth of 4 SHOULD be drowning them. Are you sure they aren't corpses?
You could always build floors over their heads and force them to drown.

The whoresons are alive, alright.

As expected.

They seem to be very very gradually accumulating injures from the current (currant? ESL) mashing them up against the riverbank, but i think they'll die from old age before their wounds kill them.

A floor above their heads should assist in curing that unfortunate affliction.
You could also designate some large serrated discs to be dumped into the river upstream. I hear weapon pollution poses a significant risk to aquatic wildlife.