Are straight cut gears one of the biggest memes?

are straight cut gears one of the biggest memes?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fAvuPTF8tfw
mwdropbox.com/Dropbox/NAVY-repairmans-manual-Chapter14.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=UzchdzkBkzQ
youtube.com/watch?v=LXHl3x1rO_k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You typed words, but you wrote nothing.

yeah, so much so that i removed my reverse gears.

How go you figure that something used by racing teams with hundreds of millions in R&D is a meme?

Can someone explain how they work vs helical gearbox and why it's better, and maybe shit about helical gearboxes

feel really dumb not knowing this

Helical gears are like screws. You apply torque and they try to move forward and backward, like a screw. Add lots of torque with the mating gear having alot of resistance, lots of traction, and its going to bust the transmission case. Long story short, straight cut gears means smaller and lighter transmission that can handle the same amount of torque.

Jesus fucking christ, not everything is a meme.

>feel really dumb not knowing this
Even if you know, you are still going to be dumb.

>he doesn't think everything is a meme

Straight cut are very slightly more efficient ( i think on average it's 98% vs 99% efficiency, so not a big deal), but they are lighter and smaller for the same load torque. However they are not used in road cars because they are very noisy (go to YouTube and search straight cut gear sound). I think rhey sound good but it would get annoying pretty quick on the road

Looks like that there gear is missing a tooth, so there's your answer.

>can handle the torks lol

>he doesn't know why you shave off a tooth on a gear

maximum kek

>posting the everything is not a meme-meme

so why do you shave off a gear on a tooth

>gear is missing a tooth

Weight reduction stage 666

it'll change the gear ratios slightly, really only makes sense for motorcycles. For example my differential gear on my bike can lose one tooth and gain about 20 "horsepower".
Not really horsepower but the ratio changed so it can use more of it's torque curve.

Yfw when miata is not a meme

>Helical gears are like screws. You apply torque and they try to move forward and backward, like a screw.
>What is a Herringbone Bevel

>Herringbone
fuck that snakeoil bullshit.
I swear Herringboners are almost as annoying as GMfangirls.

less noise because of pitch circle engagement
lower tooth loading due to more surface area
usually used in constant mesh
youtube.com/watch?v=fAvuPTF8tfw
I feel dumber every second

something expensive that NO auto gearboxes have.

enjoy your (You), autistic faggot

it is a meme you degenerate

I don't break gearboxes anymore so meme-status is denied in my book. louder than fuck though.

are strait cut gears more prone to catastrophic failure ?
I have seem some reverse gear idlers go bad and it was a big deal because the teeth are so large
where as the helix gears ive seen fail seem to run ok when missing a few teeth

they can break catastrophically yes. excessive wheel hop on a 25" slick might do it with about 900hp on these gears but not likely. in the event of a failure then since the 4310? tool steel they are made of are much less compromising than stock. I've broke a couple cases but gears have been fine.

He's not being serious, is he? Radius isn't changing by losing a tooth, therefore I don't see why that would increase torque.

>4310? tool steel they are made of are much less compromising than stock.
my experience with machine tools and tungsten carbide cutting bits is that the hard steel can handle allot of pressure but does not like shock loadings

when things are going well the swarf makes curls and there is a gentle squeal
if the speed differential is wrong or the grain inconsistent the swarf makes flakes and a shuddering sound. also the cutting tool becomes chipped at its tip

>I've broke a couple cases but gears have been fine.
neat
are the cases cheaper than the gears ?
I know some parts are sacrificial

Straight gears are rad

Straight cut gear boxes are meant to be rebuilt every few thousand miles.

You're an idiot to use it like a normal transmission.

The Miata is a legitimately great car, a meme would suggest its popularity would stem from some reason irrelevant to the car's quality. Really the only people who call it a meme are teenagers who can't actually think of a reason it's bad so they just yell "hurr meme hairdresser fagata" - this is usually poorfag civic drivers or busriders for the record.

[/soapbox]

You don't have a differential on a bike, you have a rear sprocket

Yes on bikes changing the tooth number on either sprocket does affect torque in much the same way changing ring and pinion on a differential does.

>lower tooth loading due to more surface area

point contact
surface pressure is bigger on helical gears

This. This is also why the drive pinion gear in the diff is hypoid. More gear contact area.

that still doesn't make any sense. Sure, you can replace the entire gear with one that has less teeth and therfore smaller radius, but for the case that presented simply filing/cutting a tooth off shouldn't work, should it?

Lol spot the meme miata driver

On bikes you can fiddle with sprockets to balance top speed vs torks
With gears it won't change shit, since it's radius that counts there

I thought Twingos were just a meme until I bought one

tooth count is kind of determined by radius tho.

Yes and no
Differently sized chains play a role
That and the terminology is literally "to go up or down" a tooth

lol epic post bro

idk the metallurgy behind it bro, just how to clearence everything. I heard 4310 before during a discussion and just assumed that was it. I've got a window case just for setting up transmissions. before the billet bellhousing I broke 3 bellhousings.

your analogy makes no sense. radius is all that matters.
stay in your containment thread.

Nuuuuuuu
>I said you're right
>It's just a different terminology ;_;

alot more to sizing a gear and tooth count than just radius guys.
mwdropbox.com/Dropbox/NAVY-repairmans-manual-Chapter14.pdf

way to completely miss what we are talking about.

what I'm trying to say is that it isn't. Removing a tooth is not the same as getting a different ratio. Refer to the pic. It has 1 less tooth.
These people are saying that there is a reason to do it, but it doesnt make any sense at all.
and maybe Also, since when do people confuse horsepower with torque?

Lel, i'm not a dyno, but i can instantly tell the difference a +3 sprocket makes
That is torks
Hp afaik depends mostly on the engine, innit?

PS/kW is basically torque*Rpm. Torque isn't linear, and therefore we get the whole rev-range shennanigans in ICE's. Yes, it depends on your engine, fuel, atmospheric pressure, and many other things. Same as the rpm.

They're not a meme, but you shouldn't use them in a DD. They sound god awful, a true whine.

youtube.com/watch?v=UzchdzkBkzQ

it was referenced to reconcile . he compared 2 dissimilar ideas. while there are now fewer teeth, there won't be any ratio change since the "working depth" of the next tooth of the countershaft gear will engage the following main shaft gear. it essentially skips the break although that area will now hold considerably less torque.

Think of it as having short gearing. Makes a car snappy and fun to accelerate in, but significantly lowers the top speed.
They also don't last very long, but that's a whole other reason.

I also wanted to post this.

That's what i'm saying
>T b h all my automotive experience comes from fucking about on my bike...
Anywho, 5 years and counting
Not too shabby for a "race transmission"

FPBP

What is this from?

gear whining doesn't necessarily come from their geometry. surface quality is a very important factor as well.

youtube.com/watch?v=LXHl3x1rO_k
Toyota anime girls for the Prius.

This. Why does nobody build a transmission with herringbone gears? Best features of both designs. I know it's expensive, but there are plenty of rich fuckers who don't give a fuck about that.

You can see it yourself by putting your car in reverse. Most reverse gears are straight cut, hence the whine.

How would you shift another matched gear into that?

They are very hard to machine, and the extra cost does not justify the noise in a competition vehicle.
as for road cars, standard trannies get the job done.

oooooooooooooh i always wondered why cars make that noise when reversing...
The more you know

I don't think you understand how manual transmissions work if you think they de-mesh and re-mesh when you shift.

I was just going to say this.
Straight cut gears have a higher contact surface area, even if there's fewer teeth in contact at one time. This is the biggest advantage of straight cut gears for no compromise racing purposes.
You're correct about the pitch circle engagement however, just not the greater contact surface.

You're a fucking meme

I honestly can't tell if you are trolling at this point. If you aren't, please kys so you can't breed and pass on your moronic genes.

If trolling, well done.

Get a load of this faggot. What is constant mesh?

Heres your (you)

Are you dense? he's not filing a tooth off, he means to buy another sprocket with less or more teeth to change the final ratio.

You need to think long and hard as to why what you just said was stupid.

>Removing a teeth changes the gear ratio
Fuck, I'm done with Veeky Forums

Look at the op pic you retard, that's what they were arguing about

And look who I'm responding to tard, it was in reference to bike sprockets.

Holy shit can you not into context.

ships use them, why not cars?

if you removed all but one tooth from the driving gear it might work
>we science now

That doesn't even make sense. Losing a tooth on a sprocket doesn't magically change the ratio you fucking hick.

You CHANGE sprockets
The TERMINOLOGY is about teeth

haha it looks like a penis

Of course you change sprockets. The dickhead is saying if a tooth breaks off a sprocket, the ratio changes, which is obviously incorrect.