PLEASE HELP ME

PLEASE HELP ME

Mini Cooper S vs Nissan 350Z

I'm aware this is an odd comparison, but hear me out.

I want the funnest car to drive I can possibly get. I dont care about practicality or fuel economy.

In Australia, my budget of around 12k will get me a very clean (90,000km / 55,000 miles) mini cooper s, spec'd exactly as I would like it. It comes with 12 months rego, full service history and is in overall great shape.

350z's start at around 12. They are the very first gen (2003), have around 150,000kms (93,000 miles) and are usually touring spec with questionable history.

TL;DR I am tossing up between a very clean mini cooper s and a mediocre 350z. What will be the most fun?

Pic related - the mini I'm considering

Other urls found in this thread:

gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hoxton-park/cars-vans-utes/mitsubishi-lancer-evolution-7-gsr-evo-vii-/1116652533
carsales.mobi/cars/results?q=(Service=[Carsales]&(Make=[Honda]&((Model=[S2000]))))
twitter.com/AnonBabble

This is the 350z I'm considering. 2003, has 150,000km, 3 months rego and service history.

Get the Z. I don't understand why this is a question

I'd say the Mini will be the most fun by far. But, if you can find a hot Clio in your budget, like a 182 or Gen 3 200, then that's the most fun you can have for your cash.

Please elaborate.

I understand the 350z is faster, but that doesn't necessarily make it more fun.

The mini is also a far nicer car in general. The interior blows the 350 out of the water.

But again, that VQ35DE would be something sweet...

God damn it, this is hard

Links to each add

350:
www. gumtree. com.au/s-ad/coogee/cars-vans-utes/nissan-350z-touring/1116605068

Mini:
www. carsales. com.au/private/details/MINI-Hatch-2006/SSE-AD-4005270/?Cr=41

Id go for the Mini desu. Good history and lower milage > unknown history, higher milage 350Z

If it's predominantly city driving, the mini would be a more thrashable lively vehicle in that scenario, where as the Z would be more at home if you're heading up the hills towards York or Toodyay.

I'm presuming you're in Perth, given one of your links is based in Coogee.

For christs sake do not buy the mini.

There are way better hot hatches than the Mini Cooper S. Just read up on it first.

Neither, switch to EcoBoost today.

10/10 shitpost m8

Daily reminder that V6's are better than V8's.

Thats Coogee in Sydney my friend.

I live in inner Sydney

please explain why

>FF vs FR in terms of driving pleasure
Gee I wonder
I mean if you were considering the likes of Integra this could in fact be a question but a fucking Mini?

Glowing reviews from everyone and plenty of success in auto x the world over?

The mini has a good wrap as a drivers car, I just want to know if a mediocre 350z will be as good or better in terms of driving pleasure?

anyone driven both?

I would reject them both on the grounds of build quality
they have weird mechanical issues

Fair enough, point still stands though. If you want something that's entertaining for lower speed stuff, the Mini. For faster flowing stuff, the Zed.

kudos ignoring the unsubstantiated shitposting famalam.

The 350z will destroy the Cooper and most probably more reliable, plus it is significantly less feminine

Have you driven a Cooper s? You need a fucking chiropractor every time you drive it.

Out of the two, the Z. The Mini is a girl's car and can't be put sideways.

You'd be better off importing a FD RX-7 or Spec-R. Maybe a GTS-t or GT-T Skidline but prices for those are going up because Burgers and Canacucks.

>Barra
>V6

It's a turboed inline six you gronk.

Really appreciate you weighing in there.

I test drove a 350 the other week and I think you're on the money. It pulled really well but it did feel quite heavy.

I honestly think I'd get more pleasure driving a slow car quickly around corners.... I have owned a first gen mx5 which was a blast

I'm 22, so I can put up with the discomfort.

I really don't care if a car appears "feminine." The way it drives is what interests me.

this is an awfully alluring proposition...

>want most fun car

Shut up and get a Miata.

both are shit

350z is pigfat
cooper s is okay but you can do better for your money

>r33 gtst or gtr
>focus xr5 turbo i5
>awd subi 22b
12k is alot of money to drop on a used car here so do your research and take your time hell i got a bargain of gumtree start there

FWIW I owned a 2006 Mini Cooper S and had just an absolute blast when I had it. I had the 6 speed and thought the gearbox was nice. I really didn't have any mechanical issues with it, though I may have just been very lucky.

Only reason I don't have it is I wanted a newer car to avoid repair bills. Since I live in Chicago, it's pretty hard to have more than 1 car when you don't have a garage.

Been there, done that.

I want something slightly more substantial.

Thanks for the input.

Did the car feel lacking in power? Or was the handling captivating enough to sort or overshadow the desire for power?

I think, as is the case with most used car predicaments, I need to test drive both back to back.

There is currently a 350z and a mini cooper s for sale in the same suburb. I'll call tomorrow and try to organise a test drive of each on the same day.

Why not a FG or VX Falcadore?

For 12k you get alot more car for your money and better cheaper mods unless you get the xr8 then your a dumbshit

XR6t or ls1

If you know shits about cars and know how to wrench, obviously get the Z. 350z is easy to be worked on and reliable. I've owned 3 cars that have VQ engines and the only problem you can find is tiny bit of sweating on the crankcase.
Don't forget Z is something that nissan put all the money on performance and driving experience instead of good interior and shits

If you don't know much about cars then go with the clean history cooper. Z mostly likely been owned by some young shitheads or abused

The best option is abandon both and find a clean history Z

I'd say the mini for less milage. it's practical and is actually pretty fun to drive.

I borrowed my friends one in college and had a blast. since it small it feels like you can zoom in and out of traffic all the time while carrying a bunch of unnecessary things in the trunk

never felt like it lacked power, especially because my 06 was supercharged (starting in 07 they're turbo). Always felt like I could rip it around corners just by downshifting to higher RPM's. So yeah I guess the handling did outweigh the sort of straight line speed for me, if that makes sense.

Also, not sure where you live, but I thought it was a fun driver in both city and rural roads, for different reasons. Only drawback for me was comfort, but this shouldn't shock you. I ditched the stock run flats for normal tires and saw some improvement in ride, but it's still a bit uncomfortable.

Nahhhhhh, I do not want a full sized sedan.

I do understand the performance offered by Holden and Ford for the money, but I just don't like them.

2 doors > 4 doors.... I'm young and foolish, lets not forget.

My only concern about the mini would be reliability. It's a decent car to drive, but I've heard horror stories about it being expensive to repair and not reliable.

I do think a smaller car will suit you well in inner city driving though. Not sure what else is available in Australia, but an mx5 or an s2000 would be more reliable than the Cooper, though not necessarily cheaper.

I have no real fear in getting my hands dirty. Owned a 1975 BMW 2002 and often help a friend of mine with his heavily built m10 e30.

That being said, I am certainly no expert.

I've done plenty of reading on both the mini and the 350, and it seems like the 350 has far fewer issues than the mini.

If I could afford a clean 350 (~16k) then I would definitely buy one. Unfortunately right now I can't and I've grown impatient.

You're car guys, I'm sure you understand

350z is THE drivers car. Pop up the engine hood you have everything presenting. Little room on fuel rail and spark plug because v6
The best part is front end has tons of space if you take out the mud guards. Just like gt86, these cars are made to be tuned and worked on. But I've kept my Z neerly stock and I still have the power on the wheel

Thanks again, this is actually very useful.

I'm not concerned with comfort in all honesty. I'm aware they're pretty harsh, especially on runflats, but that is quite a good point worth mentioning.

How long have you owned it for? any dramas during this period?

How does it steer at the limit? I'm told they tend to understeer from the factory but this is easily mended with minor suspension work.

Early 350Z is total garbage. Avoid.

>buying a mini
>any year
Shiggy diggy

The z is shit too. Burns oil.

Apologies for my ignorance, but I have absolutely no idea how to read that table.

Key available? or website name?

It's consumer reports. Black equals bad, red equals good.

For years I've had g35, z, fx
Steering doesn't feel as good as 370z. VQ known for burning oil. I never had this but I do my maintenance regularly. Easily. And transmissions are also very reliable. Rarely see people have problem. 350z don't have the "true" double wishbone as 370 do but I feel it's more sporty than the 370. The ride is very rough because you're close to the ground and sport suspension setup etc.

Do not ever drive it in snow and during winter. Do not trust MUH Nippon Steel. Find a clean one you'll see no rust underneath. But just one winter can destroy it. I've seen many many Z and G. I know right away if the car is kept indoor during winter and cleaned regularly during summer.

Opie is an Ausfaggot, so harsh winters and rust really isn't an issue.

I don't know why you'd consider a Mini Cooper over a 350Z if you're looking for something fun.

The 350Z is gonna have more torque throughout its entire range and handle better in every appreciable situation on tarmac. It's the quintessential modern sports car with good power out an NA V6, RWD, and moderate weight. It's LOADS more fun than even the fancy John Cooper Works editions.

>on paper going by these arbitrary measures, it's more fun
Bench racing may be a measure of fun in your books, but not everyone's.

Have you driven both?
I have. I can tell you by my subjective experiences that the 350Z is the better sports car in every respect. It's faster on the straights, in the corners, at low speeds, and at high speeds. Plus the 350Z is more far more reliable and fits drivers better.

>Have you driven both?
>I have, in this anecdote I made up on the spot to support my otherwise baseless claim
Great job.

I delivered a red 2007 350Z in manual and it was a very nice car. I also once drove a Mini Cooper to grab some chicken wings for the shop and it was nothing more than economy car imo. If you don't believe me, just look up reviews on youtube of people who are driving the car while talking.

Here OP, this is outstanding evidence as to why the vehicle this guys doesn't like isn't very good, and the one he does like is very good.
You should pay attention to this guy.

Bias or not, I still appreciate the input. I can understand what he is getting at - the cooper s is a fast version of an economy car. The 350z was built to be a sports car from the very first moment.

>The 350z was built to be a sports car from the very first moment.

And a shitty excuse for a sports car it is.

It weighs, what, 3500lbs?

More of a cramped GT tourer than real sports car.

Do you want to drive your car or watch it sit in the shop 2/3 of the time?
If you absolutely insist on getting a Mini, get a 1st-gen and it must be a manual.
Be aware that when something does break (and it will), it will not be a cheap fix. They are the biggest pain in the dick to work on and parts are expensive, at least here in the US.
Another thing to keep in mind if you get a Cooper S is that the supercharger uses its own oil and it takes 5 hours to change it.
If you decide on a 2nd-gen Cooper S, change the oil religiously every 5k mi. (8k km). If you don't, the engine will develop a death rattle due to the shitty plastic timing chain guides breaking apart. They take about 9 hours to replace. They're also notorious for thermostat flange leaks so it'd be a good idea to change coolant every year or two.

Tl;dr - Minis are not cheap cars to own unless you do all of your own everything.

t. Sometimes-Mini technician.

The 03s and 04s are not good engines for the Z's, no variable timing on the exhaust side only intake, they consume oil higher than regular, most likely already has a leaking valve gasket, 6500 rpm max. Get a REV up or an HR. HR is the golden engine.

Anyways the coop is kinda fun to drive but it's a piece of shit inside and out, something always breaks on them. 350z is actually fun to drive, turn the traction control off and the car easily rotates with just throttle control, the interior isn't great it's not bad but it's basic and boy racer. I couldn't even find an unmolested 350z so I ended up buying a 6mt 06 g35 coupe, same car with more luxary.

In
>Hurrrrrr I use auto convertible curb weight as a metric for all Zs

This looks like a basic package, no brembos, no sport suspension, is it auto?

Actually a 350Z isn't that much lighter, 3300-3400lbs. My biggest problem with them is how the steering and whole car lacks feel. It feels bigger and heavier than it actually is until you're on the very edge of the car's limit. Then it just feels nervous and uncomposed.

I personally wouldn't get either OP, and look for a used older Evo/STi, or M3.

>personally, I wouldn't get either
>just look for these examples that are completely out of your price range
Great job!

>Why not a FG or VX Falcadore?
He obviously doesn't want a bogan barge.

A 6mt 350z with brembos and full track package is 3280lbs bro, good job being autistic

Retarded=/=Autistic. The poster you replied to falls under the retard category.
Lol, that retard is confusing "fun" with straight line acceleration. Something of which he's never had access to anyway.

Minis are basket cases. Dont get one.
I work at a indy Euro shop and we are overflowing with minis constantly. Usually turbo S's

>Splitting hairs over 100lbs

I said it feels heavier than it actually is, autist. I'm acknowledging its not actually that heavy

>I know everything about the Australian Car Market

In America I can get a E36 M3 for the same price as a 350Z, and from quickly browsing gumtree there are a few early 00s WRX STis/Evos for the same price range. Ditto on LSx Commodores (even some HSVs) and XR6 Turbos

gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hoxton-park/cars-vans-utes/mitsubishi-lancer-evolution-7-gsr-evo-vii-/1116652533

It is a manual touring

Evos and STis are, for the most part, out of my price range. On top of that, all the ones that come close would have had a very hard life, and these cars aren't any more reliable or cheap to own than a 350 or cooper s, since they require more frequent servicing.

As for the m3, e36 m3's are once again slightly out of the budget (~16k for one in average condition) and the servicing on these would definition be higher than a 350 and cooper s (in australia we had the euro spec with 321hp, so its a highly strung performance engine with no expense spared in its creation - one can only assume the cost of VANOS fixes)

I appreciate the suggestions though

You say the coopers are regularly in the shop, but what are the most common issues?

Small fixes dont really bother me as I'll happily do them myself.

I'm only looking at R53's since I froth the supercharger and the R56's look bloated. I've heard the R53's are far more reliable.

Australia also had the 3.0 Evo with the Single VANOS that's more reliable, but I can understand the situation.

Evos/STis at least from my experiences are fairly reliable, Evos especially (they're built like brick shithouses, I personally know 4-5 people with modded to fuck 8/9s and one with a 10). They fall apart more when they're not kept stock and I've seen them take a insane amount of abuse modded. Most I've seen in terms of "maintenance" on them is fluid changes and a fairly reasonable timing belt job that's usually a good excuse for aftermarket cams.

Is something like a Evo 7 like I linked really out of your budget?

What about the Domestics? I haven't driven them to be honest, but I feel like a VZ/VE SS or XR6 Turbo would be a sick car. They're not much heavier (3500-3600lbs) but you get a lot of car and a lot of power.

I just was never crazy about the Z33 when I drove one. I'm not the same if you look around, its either a car you love or hate immediately within the first 5 minutes

Get an S2000 if they're available in your price range. More fun AND more reliable than either of the two options you posted.

In the US you can get an AP1 for $9k at the low end. If that's not possible on upside down island, I would recommend saving for a while longer.

>Get an S2000 if they're available in your price range.
in Aus, they ain't.
carsales.mobi/cars/results?q=(Service=[Carsales]&(Make=[Honda]&((Model=[S2000]))))

All valid points and I appreciate the input.

To give more financial information, I'm a full time uni student. I work a few days a week and that really only covers my study costs and funds my weekly battles against sobriety. During the christmas breaks I often work a whole bunch and this is the money I have to work with as a result.

12K is the amount I can spend as of right now (without spending literally all my money as I still need to pay for insurance and other assorted running costs). I will save a little over the next month but I wont really be able to work a lot until the end of the year - which is when i'll work almost full time, probably sell whatever I buy now and purchase a 135i, if all goes to plan.

As for stis and evos, I've just never had any real interest in them. Plus, I feel as though I will definitely lose my license if I had one. There are so many cops in the inner city of Sydney.

The domestics are much the same story. They just dont excite me. I understand they are the best bang for buck, but I just do not want to drive one hahah. Maybe I'm a snob, who knows.

The logical move is to save and buy something good, but I've just grown impatient. I've literally been looking for 6+ months.

I've organised a test drive in the black 350 a few hours from now - will report back how it goes.

Thanks all for your help!

We generally see far more R56s than R53s and the engines (which were made by Chrysler of Brazil) are much less failure-prone than the BMW N12/14/16 that went in the R56.
Aside from general oil leaks, the biggest problem I've encountered with the R53 is that leaked oil will drip into the PS cooler fan, fry it, and then that in turn will burn up the electric PS pump. Another problem that I encountered just the other day is that the harmonic balancer can self-destruct and, oddly enough, will generate underboosting codes. That was the first time I've encountered that problem, though.

Changing the drive belt is a massive pain in the ass if you don't have the proper tensioner tool, clutch replacement is extremely labor intensive (12 hours), the cooling system is failure-prone due to everything being made of shitty German plastic and you need a special tool to replace the rear brakes (screw-in calipers).
On top of all that, the engine bay is extremely cramped and nothing is easy to get to. Even changing the air filter is frustrating.

Okay so I just got home from a test drive.

Engine seemed fine - no oxidisation on the underside of the oil cap or in inside the rocker cover, no smoke, pulled well, sounded healthy, no shaking while starting or turning off. Did has a ticking noise but this is common with the fuel systems.

Interior and exterior were clean.

Issues:

The car had some very cheap tires on it. While the weather was miserable and raining, I completely lost traction doing a light pull in second. Also, of more significance was a crack clean through one of the rear wheel spokes. The tyres also had cupping on the fronts and negative camber wear on the rears.

The buyer was keen to sell the car, and we had agreed on 12k, provide I get to come back tomorrow and drive it in dry conditions.

The car also only has around 2 months of rego left.

What do you all think? 12k is very cheap, but I would have to buy new wheels and tyres for the rear at a minimum and rego soon.

It also had fucking dark tint that was impossible to see out of.

Please advise

The mini will be more fun 350Zs are notoriously 7/10th cars.