Have you ever gone to one? Will you ever go back?

Have you ever gone to one? Will you ever go back?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/14985876/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>going to a quick lube shop
>ever

I took my gf's car to a similar place because I don't own the car and don't want to be legally responsible for shoddy work, even though my work is top notch, and the oil needed changing for a few thousand miles. It went alright. Got ripped off on the air filter but whatever, shit needed replacing and I was lazy. Not sure what my other options were, since my gf doesn't have a garage in the city she lives in 200 miles away.

No, I either take my car to it's dealership when VERY lazy or do the work myself.

I've heard of too many horror stories about those types of places.

>sadly yes
>fuck no

>Don't want to be responsible for work
>But my work is too notch
>Just an oil change
>Too afraid to change the oil because he doesnt want to break the car but thinks his work is top tier
Lucky trips of someone poorly trying to bullshit

>Got ripped off on the air filter but whatever, shit needed replacing and I was lazy.

JiffyLube is known for taking an oily dirty rag and smearing it across the top of the filter to make it look like it needs replacing. They're under a lot of pressure (and greed) to upsell to meet each month's bonus goals.

They did the timing belt on my g35. It was a little early but only $500. Their prices are good.

>regretfully yes
>I'd rather eat my own shit than ever go back

Sounds like you don't do a lot of work for "friends"

>do oil change
>1 week later "friend" comes back saying his car won't start and you were the last to touch it

It's obvious you didn't cause it, but people are always looking to blame someone other than themselves.

can confirm my co worker used to work for them hes told me stories

>paying ANYONE $500 to do your timing belt
Jesus fucking Christ people like you are why I work in the automotive industry, because you're fucking retarded enough to pay me $500 to do a job that takes an hour.

I went once. I will not be back.

>Implying you could do the timing chain on a vq in one hour

We talking belt or chain here? Belts on a vq aren't hard. There would be no reason to do his timing chain unless it's rattling, and even then it's just the tensioners and guides. I've done guides and tensioners on 2 vq's and it took me maybe 2-3 hours for each one.

Lol, can't believe people fall for the air filter trick. Starting at notoriously sheisty Canadian chain store auto desk tomorrow, I'm praying to run into suckers like you...

I bought a used car a few days ago and I noticed there was a Jiffy Lube sticker on the windshield. I got paranoid and checked all the fluid levels, and everything appeared to be fine until I checked on the oil. The dipstick showed there was no oil. Only a smear on the tip below the L marker. WTF? So I cleaned it off with a rag and checked again. Still no oil between the L and F markers. So I pour in half a bottle and wait a minute or two. I measure it again and the oil level is now above the L. I wait a while longer to check for leaks, but there are no leaks. I pour in the rest of the bottle and the marker is near full. Fuck me, man. How long was the car running with the bare minimum of oil?

>"friends"
Thats where you fucked up faggot.
Tell them to take that shit in themselves.

If you did a good job i would totally pay you 500 dollars to change the timing belt in my truck.
>tfw its 100f+ outside
>tfw have to remove fan shroud, fan, belts
>tfw have to unbolt the A/C pump, alternator, and upper radiator hose
>tfw have to undo timing belt cover and undo the crank bolt
>tfw have to do all of that in order to get the timing belt off
Did it once myself and im paying someone else to do it next time so i can sit inside drinking cold Sweet Tea in an Air Conditioned room

yes and no

i was working too much to get my shit together and my car was well overdue for a change and they were open sunday

tried to convince me i needed an automatic transition flush a couldn't diagnose a sound my car was making (it was an obviously loose heat shield, i knew about it i just was testing them)

they

people don't change air filters? i don't get it? what's the trick?

Less oil is significantly better than too much oil.

Just below L is all good.

Yes, i ran out of time before a 2800 mile road trip, so i stopped by on my way out.

No because pic related is what it took to get their oil filter off.

Its an easy upsell and if will show visible dirt long long before you actually need to change it. So all you have to do is show them a 90% good one next to a new one and make it seem like it's the worst you've ever seen and a health hazard. They'll fall for it and your shop makes a fast 80 bucks.

I go in, ask for conventional oil and a filter. They keep trying to sell me fucking diff oil and a brake flush. I just say fuck no, pay my monies for cheapass oil and leave.

>can confirm my co worker used to work for them hes told me stories

I can confirm my own story of the dirty air filter. I had totally inspected it immediately before going to JiffyLube. It was totally clean since it was still fairly new. I always take a marker and make several marks on the filter between one pleat and that validates I have the same filter back or not. So when I saw that dirty filter, at first I thought they swapped it for their "demonstration" filter they show to all customers. After I declined and had the oil change, I inspected the filter and it was my dated filter. It simply had used dirty oil from a rag smeared across the whole top to make it look dirty.

JIFFYLUBE TRIED TO DELIBERATELY SCAM ME.

There is no way that was an accident. Oh we dropped your filter. The dirtyness was too much wiped across the top to be a "drop". And there is a metal grid which makes it a problem for them to do that, so they actually have to spend some effort. Thus it was deliberate. And there is no way that wasn't my filter because of the markings for date installed.

JIFFYLUBE TRIED TO SCAM ME ON AIR FILTER by sabotaging it.

Afterwards, I felt angry but there is no way to post in any forum because all the mods will delete anything without proof due to jiffylube lawyers. And the only way to prove it is to have a court judgement. Thus, it is the perfect crime. No one can get it publicized in a moderated forum as long as jiffylube lawyers are on their toes.

>people don't change air filters? i don't get it? what's the trick?
The jiffylube trick in my case was to get some used oil on a dirty rag and wipe it across the top of the filter to stain it a bit. They they carefully say this filter looks dirty. They don't have to put a lot on, just a little bit and it does look dirty.

>Jesus fucking Christ people like you are why I work in the automotive industry, because you're fucking retarded enough to pay me $500 to do a job that takes an hour.

Not that guy, but could you really do it in one hour for my new car? After getting the plastic covers off, you see the cover is on an angle. And there are pipes going over it. And wire harnesses. Then there is stuff on top that has to be removed and I don't know what it is. The last spark plug is like that too. I wonder if it is to make sure their dealer chain gets a good solid income from all those preventative maintenance scheduled events.

If you took it all apart, then did the job, then put it all together in one hour, I'd be scared you had bolts and parts left over.

It's easy to upsell all sorts of things to someone who has a car that is making "sounds". JiffyLube must like seeing people bringing in those kinds of cars. It's easy to fool them to buy flushes.

I just wonder what kind of monthly incentive bonuses the JiffyLube techs and managers get for doing all these underhanded things. This scamming seems to be a chainwide thing across the nation.

>Jesus fucking Christ people like you are why I work in the automotive industry, because you're fucking retarded enough to pay me $500 to do a job that takes an hour.

Well, some places charge inflated prices. Just the other day, my dealer gave me a price estimate for alignment of $170 USD for the rear wheels. The front wheels were even higher. Not quite up to your $500 fee though but getting close for alignment for all wheels on my 2016 Malibu. Yes, alignment is covered in new car first 6 months of ownership. BUT the dealership said I had a scratch on the rear rim (curb scratch, blame my parallel parking skills for getting close to curb to avoid fines) which meant the in warranty work was disqualified and it would have to be done out of warranty.

Dealers make a lot more money for doing the same job out of warranty. In warranty work means GM pays them only the normal repair fee which is a lot less than if they ripped off the customer for $170 for rear axle. Chevrolet dealerships suck and this is the largest one of all the ones in my immediate area.

One of my local chevy dealerships got prosecuted by the state attorney general for taking advantage of a mentally ill person. They kept churning cars thru this person for huge profits since he had some sort of protectorship foundation or something like that which gave him money each year. So basically he is the mentally ill heir with a rich non-profit LLC set up by rich family long ago to take care of him. They dealership found out and thus this poor guy became the new "Sisyphus" of endless car churning. Pierre Chevrolet of Seattle. Yeah, that's them.

>Poorfag/apartmentfag, nowhere to wrench

Every time the lube techs try to tell me I have a "severe oil leak", yet the car never seems to lose any oil... Even weirder, they're not even trying to offer to sell me a fix, they just keep telling me to take it to a mechanic and have the oil pan gasket replaced.

My guess is that something in the steering rack is spraying PS fluid all over the engine bay, so it looks like everything is leaking.

Went to jiffy lube just the other day. No garage, no space, no tools so doing oil changes myself not an option.

I declined the new air filter even though I knew out was long over due.

Pulled out and went straight to Vatazone. Pooped the hood and found the arm yup hold up the hood rattling around inn the battery because they couldn't be bothered to clip it into its place. Air filter box was open, they stuffed the original back in wrong, forcing it, and preventing the clips from holding.

Bought a new filter from the Vatazone and tidied it all up. Will check the oil level tomorrow before I start my 2300mile trip.

Pic related, my old air filter, no idea how long it's been in the car.

>Popped the hood and found the arm yup hold up the hood rattling around inn the battery because they couldn't be bothered to clip it into its place. Air filter box was open, they stuffed the original back in wrong, forcing it, and preventing the clips from holding.

The tech was probably angry at you for not buying the stuff and contributing to his monthly bonus for upselling. So he mishandled your car deliberately since he certainly knows how to put down the hood prop and to re-install the filter he took out in the first place.

I've heard from a former neighbor before that JiffyLube stripped his oil pan plug but didn't tell him so it leaked all over the his garage floor. It had never leaked before.

He had to take it to the stealership since he didn't know what was wrong at first. The stealership said his oil pan had its threads stripped because the plug was put in at an angle and forcibly screwed in by a power tool. $420 for new oil pan including labor and taxes.

Don't hit me. I told him he should have gotten some rethreading tool and bigger drain plug to fit the new hole. But he told me, it was at the dealer and they don't offer any alternatives other than replacing parts.

Without oil, he'd have to tow it out and pay a tow charge too. So once it was at the dealer, might as well sink the money in for JiffyLube's mistake.

I work at jiffy lube. So I guess you could say I come in 5 times a week, and I have to go back 5 times a week.

Ask me anything.

How long were you in prison?

>Have you ever gone to one?
Not a Jiffy Lube, but I go to a Valvoline place.

>Will you ever go back?
Yup. I can't change my own oil because apartment life, and they always pass my car for inspection.

Are you happy scamming customers with $100 "services" that cost $15 at most in materials/parts/fluids/whatever and your owners profit 300% while you profit nothing and just get paid minimum wage even though you're the one doing all the labor?

>Not a Jiffy Lube, but I go to a Valvoline place.
Sears Automotive does oil changes and their full synthetic was $49.95 recently at my local shop. They use Valvoline exclusively. I got my oil/filter changed there. Appointments required since they are always booked full at that price.

My mom went to one once for an inspection. The guy came in holding a round air filter showing her how dirty it was. She laughed, told him to fuck off with the scam bullshit because her car used a rectangular air filter, and that she was leaving and did not expect to be billed.

Scammy place.

>g35
>having a timing belt
Pick one

It looks like the problem is that JiffyLube rewards their staff for upselling. So the staff is completely greedy and will tell you anything so that they can get their monthly bonuses.

This also makes me wonder about those independent shops where the owner is working on someone's car. Every dollar he can scam goes directly to his pocket. No worry about meeting monthly goals as he gets directly rewarded for selling blinker fluid and timing belt adjustments on a customer's Corvette (they only use chains).

Independent shop owner should probably be a little more worried about lawsuits and his reputation in general, since he relies almost exclusively on word-of-mouth and doesn't have the finances and lawyers of a national chain to bail him out if he gets caught scammin'.

No shit right? This is why I cringe when I come on this board yet I always come back to see if it ever gets better and it doesn't.

I went there to get my motorcycle inspected for registration. Had no issues. I'll probably go back next year.

>using a rattle gun on the sump plug

these guys seriously have no soul

Tbqh yes lol
It's a part time gig and the people that come in don't have the resources (ie skills, time, access to materials) so I don't really feel bad about it.

Plus it's really not that hard. Easy work, after 1-2 weeks it becomes second nature.

Yep, it's pretty sad.

Some cars burn their oil. Usually cars that run hot like honda or nissan. Guaranteed thats what is happening in your car.

I work for valvoline. Similar to jiffylube/ezlube but not a piece of shit eith workers that dont speak english. I know a person who worked for jiffylube. Ill answer questions if anyone wants to ask. I will say that like 90 percent of the people that come into these places have brains that are completely void of any sort of intellectual processing. They are literally just now crawling out of the cave. The other 10 percent they cool i like em. I could rant for hours about the lame people that come in if anyone is interested in hearing some of that ill share too. Im a pit technician btw like the guy under the cars.

Also lol at people who think everyone is trying to scam them on everything about the car to the point of rage and fury but wont bother to take the literally 5 minutes required to learn how to change oil.

>Valvoline
I'm not sure how widespread this is/was but around here (Los Angeles) the only Valvoline places I know of were converted from EZ-Lube just a few years ago. The one I was using at the time kept the same employees and everything.

>5 minutes required to learn how to change oil.

If that was the only thing, then many oil/filter change shops would be out of business. It is that the car needs to be safely raised high enough for the person to get under the car and drain the oil. That means tall ramps or the combination of car jacks and sturdy wide-bottomed jack stands.

In the old days, cars were higher off the ground. Today's cars are lower on the ground. My inherited car ramps from my father are no good for my car as they are still not high enough. If I get under, it is really tight with a piece of cardboard under me (i slide using the cardboard to not tear holes in my shirt). I still rub on the car's bottom. So I gave up there since new ramps are all made in China. Are those safe?

Some neighbors use jacks and then jack stands. I may emulate them. When done, they all pour the oil into the sewer grate and water off the pan or bucket that holds the oil. One guy uses a low box lined with two plastic kitchen trash bags (the hefty brand type). Obviously the car has cooled down before draining the oil. The 2nd bad is there in case the 1st leaks but never a leak yet. He takes the box over to the drain. Pokes with screwdriver and the oil pours out into the drain. Tosses empty bag into the trash. This is home oil/filter change 101. Easy peasy. No worry about mess in carrying oil in the car somewhere. I know of NO ONE who goes thru the mess, the bother, the time waste, and the trip to carry their used oil to some shop. No one does that.

For now, I may get a jack and two jack stands to hold up the front of the car. But the cost of having the shop do a full synthetic oil change nice and clean once per year is not bad, so that is probably the way I go. It's just $50 at wal-mart for full synthetic. Sears is $70 unless on sale, but they always have $20 off sales twice per year, so people can wait for those.

I've considered it a couple times but never did it.

If there was a place I could get a quick oil change for cheap that I trusted, I might do it if I don't feel like getting the tools out.

Couldn't get job anywhere else
Apply as a half-meme
Hired in 2 seconds

>Filter and drain plug torqued to manufacturer spec, sir
>You'll need us to use our tools if you want to get them off again

Of all the quick lube scams, that has got to be worst.

>mfw hearing about all this shit that jiffy lube does

Is it just them, or does every "fast lube" place do the same thing?

Most do.
I work at a Jiffy Lube, but we don't push air filters.

If one of our employees are in, she'll push for engine flushes every time. We don't like it because the rest of us are mostly honest and pushing engine flushes that eat seals is just really fucked up. She's not even a lube tech, she's just Customer Service Adviser, and she's a total cunt and is super pushy with everything because all she wants is the big numbers on her ticket.
The rest of us try to stay honest, 50% out of integrity and the other 50% out of laziness.

Engine oil slightly black from normal wear and tear?
>Engine flush.
Engine oil comes out clean?
>Engine flush.

We like to push our 3.99 coolant top off even if it's almost to the tippy top of the reservoir, though.

>Is it just them, or does every "fast lube" place do the same thing?
For lube shops, it really depends on both the TEMPERAMENT of the employee and the WORK ETHIC of that employee as well as your LUCK in being there at the right time and place.

A. Temperament matters because the shop might be putting pressure on the person to upsell, or the pay is bad, or the manager sucks. A lot of people nowadays if they get mad, they take it out on the customer and damage the car. Not only does schadenfreude make the employee feel better, he is probably hoping you get mad and blame the shop too. Two birds with one stone. Certainly, the employee is the biggest asshole here, but that is a matter of personal ethics. The employee obviously has none. It's like the mcdonald or burger king teenage employee who spits on food because he can.

B. WORK ETHIC also matters. A conscientious employee will not be lazy and just jam the filter on and turn as hard as possible. Some employees don't care as it is just a temp job because they know they will quit a month or two, so complaints don't matter to them. They just jam the drain plug back on and twist despite the crossthreading problem. It's just a job to them. A lot of selfish people have this kind of attitude if they are not supervised.

C. LUCK of place and time also matters for lube shops. The good one you find today might not be there next time. That's because many people use this kind of job as an introduction to wrenching work. After a time, they then move on to another more detailed job in the auto servicing industry particularly if they were taking auto-related vocational training at a community college or technical training shop. Thus, it is your luck to find a good person at that time because when you come back six months later, he or she is gone because they went on to work at a real shop. Or they simply quit because this was a temp job and they found better ones.

Only once to change the transmission fluid and flush out the lines on my old car years ago. Don't remember how much I paid. Anything else, no. Most of the things I would think to take my current car there for are too simple to spend the money on labor and/or their marked up prices.

>Is it just them, or does every "fast lube" place do the same thing?
I've been to Sears Automotive for their oil changes for a number of years in a row and they never pushed more parts or services on me. Of course, that might be due to the manager of that shop being honest and not caring about getting bonuses for unncessary upselling. I heard some sears upsell a lot.

They do point out any anomalies on tests though like if alignment is off or not. In my case, one time, the alignmnent is off as their digital tester which scans the tire and angle and gives a reading immediately showed it was off. I knew I probably had an alignment problem since I had hit a curb on the rear tire in order to avoid a stupid beater truck that crossed into my lane to make a turn. Of course they don't stop but keep going leaving me behind. They're probably going both "LOL" and "Whew avoided that one".

>spain here
for the most part, yeah, they're basically ripping you off

as a mechanic i love cars that come in with problems from a Jiffy lube place

ive seen it all. stripped drain plug bolts, one place tightened an oil filter with one of those claws and punctured a hole in the filter, car came to us with a bad oil leak, calling for unneeded stuff, the works. one car that came in a lube place said the transmission pan had a bad leak, i lifted it up and the lines/pan were bone dry. bunch of idiots

My local JiffyLube charges over $100 for full synthetic after sales tax. The dealer is next highest price. Wal-mart is just $50 for full synthetic.

With the new car, I use wal-mart's fast oil/filter change service since I can specify the brand of full-synthetic oil and filter easily. Walmart has a default full synethetic choice of mobil1, pennzoil platinum, castrol magnetec, or valvoline. I was able to ask for quaker state full synthetic and the tech simply ran inside the wal-mart store to get a 5 quart jug. I'll use the top rated full synth from 540Rat's Oil Blog each time. It happens that QS fullsynth is the best one in testing for now. Get the oil database URL from Veeky Forums's synthetic vs conventional oil thread:

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/14985876/

I also use the Fram synthetic oil filter. It has that wire mesh even between the pleats so the pleats cannot collapse from pressure spikes or clogging. My Eco type car has a lot of stop/start cycles, so there are bound to be lots of pressure spikes from the way oil is pumped.

I work at one in LA. Honestly, it depends which location you go to. They hire pretty much anyone, so the chances that some retard is working on your car are pretty high. The only reason people get ripped off is because they don't know shit about their cars. If you go to McDonalds, you're not about to pay $50 for a cheeseburger because you don't know how much they cost/ how to make one.