It's time to make a stand

I'm going to go on record right here and right now: if you design a vehicle with an automatic transmission the shifter belongs on the steering column, NOT the console.

There's absolutely no reason to put an automatic shifter in the center console. It just takes up a whole bunch of space for a lever that the average driver touches at most 3 times during their drive.

"B-but what about manual shifting modes?" I hear you sniveling. "It lets me pretend I have a manual, and I can't do that if it's on the column!" Shifter paddles or buy a fucking manual transmission you limp-dick candyass.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=g4ygskAqoO0
torquenews.com/1080/why-2016-nissan-titan-doesnt-have-floor-shifter
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i agree with you op. plus a shifter on the column will prevent people from mistaking their D for R to prevent them from crashing into cars in parking lots and businesses.

Car comes with manual as standard. Why go to the effort of changing the interior for the auto?

Or just put it on the touchscreen.

>designing a different console for automatic and manual transmission

It's for ease of manufacturing you prissy little bitch.

>tripfag
>autism thread

no surprises here

What about the large number of vehicles that don't even have a manual option yet have console shifters? Like the new Jeep Grand Cherokee

Well that's just pathetic. Might as well call it the Jeep Grand Shopping Mall.

werent these types of shifters recalled because people mistook there car being in R or D and started crashing into shit? you know, because they are fucking stupid?

>wanting a manual in an off-road vehicle

spotted the guy with the mall crawler

manual 4x4 is the best combination ever.
wew lad

>shifter paddles
No. I'll keep pretending I have a manual.
;_;

Go ahead, crawl with a manual.

Guess how I know you don't own a manual 4x4, nor have you ever driven off road.

maybe if you've never been beyond smooth dirt roads

Recalled for being a huge pile of stupid shit.

>Go ahead, crawl with a manual.
you would crawl in an automatic too if you were in 4LO fucking sperg.
your right i dont own a manual 4x4. but i have driven off road in my buddies nissan 1986 1/2 hard body, manual 4x4 and it was the most amazing thing ever. the terrain i was in was large boulders mud, deep sand and large sand dunes.

i have been mudding you cuckold

Mad detected.

Auto is better for crawling and general off road because of the smooth throttle delivery and non violent shifts.

I don't think you understand my point.
You can't easily crawl with a manual trans. Try climbing any kind of obstacle with precision and your clutch life goes out the window. Goodbye clutch.

If you think "mudding" is offroading, I really hope you find another hobby, because redneck tire spinning shit isn't offroading as much as it is degeneracy.

also, a family sedan can go over sand dunes, you odn't need a super special offroad masterpiece to climb a dune.

Not that guy, but clutch driven 4x4s are only inferior if you do to know how to operate one.
Autos are good for loading up from a standstill, and that's it.

They're inferior in service life as well. There is no way to have a clutch that lasts as long as an auto will doing the same low-speed crawling and maneuvering.

>goodbye clutch
Sounds like you shouldn't/haven't driven a manual 4x4 offroad. If you're riding the clutch to traverse an obstacle, three pedals is too many for you.
>inb4 armchair off-roaders posting rock crawling buggies

>I've only ever had vehicles with granny gears

Only if you don't know how to operate a clutch, or was fitted with an inadequate drivetrain in the first place.
>mah anecdotes
I've owned more than one frequently used 4x4 with more than 200k miles on the original clutch.

>implying i give a damn about smooth throttle delivery
>non violent shifts
subjective if you cant drive stick off road
>You can't easily crawl with a manual trans. Try climbing any kind of obstacle with precision and your clutch life goes out the window. Goodbye clutch.
this is subjective. if you can drive stick off road.

>If you think "mudding" is offroading, I really hope you find another hobby, because redneck tire spinning shit isn't offroading as much as it is degeneracy.

while true i have stated in my previous post i have actually been offroading

>a family sedan can go over sand dunes, you odn't need a super special offroad masterpiece to climb a dune.

go to comanche lake resort in ione california. then try to drive through sand in a sedan.
my friend brought his civic out there and it was stuck immediatley

Civics aren't 4x4.

Yup

no shit.

Never even had an offroad vehicle asides from a dirt bike, but I can imagine you're fucked when you get stuck and the auto won't want to get in the right gear.

So like Mercedes

That's why the shifter has "D" "2" and "1".
Also automatic doesn't have a pause of power output when it shifts, unlike a manual- so they do better in mud and rocky slopes.

You can't use the throttle or shift smoothly with a manual?
Not that hard bro

I guess the prius has it all figured out

No absolutely not. Column shifter absolute suck money dick when you have to tow cars that won't shift. Console over ride for my convienence when towing your hoopty POS.

You're doing God's work, OP.

whats with all these pussy ass psuedo offroaders using auto? Wft?

Has Veeky Forums became vagina central?

It's a little hard when you're literally going at a snails pace up a rock.

Don't take this the wrong way user, but have you considered suicide?

OP was right, you're a limp-dick candyass.

That's what dollies are for, towbro. Stop being a lazy cunt.

>pause of power between shifts
You either drive the quickest shifting auto ever, or you just can't drive manual correctly

>2016
>having a transmission

youtube.com/watch?v=g4ygskAqoO0

It's called gear reduction you dumb faggot.

Even with a stock T case, you shouldn't be slipping the clutch at all in 4 low.
Automatics are shit for crawling, and equally shit for mud due to the fact that you can't rock back and forth with an automatic.

You'd be laughed out of literally any discussion in real life with people that do that kind of shit frequently. Jesus christ.

Oh shit waddup, I live in Valley Springs. I'm at Camanche all the time.

>you can't rock back and forth in an automatic
well, this person doesn't have a clue what they are on about

ayyy i worked there for 3 days before i quit. lmao

is this real fr-s automatic?
fuck.... I have 0 respect to automatic gt86s drivers now

>implying merc doesn't put shifter on where the washer controller should be

confirmed retarded poster
>auto is better because hey! I tap the gas then car does it by itself!
you're extremely bad at driving manual

Not too long ago I got my first manual, a 99 Miata, and have been daily driving it since. a couple days ago I had to drive my 2012 ford escape again though, and I was going down the road and instinctively felt the need to shift gears. I put my hand on the shifter and reached for the clutch.
except it was an automatic and I slammed on the emergency brake going 60.
putting the shifter on the column saves lives anons.

Pretty much this.
What I imagine that poster is implying is you can't rock backward and forward with the vehicle's body momentum the same way with an automatic, which they're absolutely correct.
Then you wouldn't be shifting anyway. And hunting gears while under such load is a sure way to apply unnecessary wear to the clutchpacks on an auto.
If you wouldn't be able to shift smoothly with a manual in such scenario, you should probably have an auto locked in gear anyway.

Please go start your automatic (which you clearly own) and shift rapidly between Drive and Reverse while applying throttle.

For science

not being retarded and forgetting what the fuck you're driving saves more lives.

No. That's just natural selection.

>that poster is implying you can't rock backward and forward with the vehicle's body momentum the same way with an automatic, which they're absolutely correct.

except they're not correct , automatics have low gear and neutral for a reason

now i know you're retarded
that's a good way to destroy any kind of transmission

t. manual and auto owner who has rocked both, ez

I agree with you, OP. Console shifters are shit.

>automatics have low gear and neutral for a reason
Not only you're on a different page, you're in a completely different book.

Yeah, that Star Trek guy who died recently was probably killed by one. Most likely thought he put it in park but left it in neutral.

you are just a fucking retard

What is B?

B for "Both" motors?

>being this assmad about his outdated manual transmission design

I learned to drive with pic related (ok not a Si, it was a 1.5) and I always thought the shifter placement was an efficient use of space.

Discuss.

Degenerative braking.

why not just voice activate the transmission

eww.

You can't possibly be this retarded

>and I can't do that if it's on the column

Nigger never drove three on the tree before. Opinion absolutely fucking discarded.

It engages the regenerating brakes before you press them to give you that little extra charge.

it Dougs

idiots will always find a way to ruin your day

I've driven a 3 on the tree before, user.
You think they'd do an automatic column shifter in that style just to let people pretend they're manually shifting?

Maybe because it looks a lot better than having a shitty truck-style column shifter. It looks and feels a lot more sporty.

If you could look past your autism and stop being a retard, you would see that not everyone is physically capable of driving a stick. Having a car with the ability to mimic the feel of driving a stick is great for people who are paralyzed or lost a leg

looks like an erect cock m8

it's actually really nice and comfy, you hardly have to move your hand from the steering wheel to shift

I have never, ever driven a car with a column shifter and I don't want to. It would be so bloody awkward.

go find out for yourself

No that's just wrong, even for a cable shifter. Honda did it because it's convenient and cheap. But it's just wrong. It's not even optimal spatially, even if you disregard the retarded look of it (which can be a matter of personal preference). I hate when companies experiment with tried and true concepts that don't need reinventing just because it's cheap and convenient to implement for them.

I can already See the days where you have to scroll through cancerous infotainment menus just to put your car into reverse

>dat ass
He ain't gonna play no D.

>Simple and cheap
>much more complicated then previous gen civics
are you fucking retarded cunt?

I know Veeky Forums loves manuals, but there's nothing quite like the action movie hero feeling of having a column shifter with a huge distance between P and D and pulling it down like a fucking attack plane.

well if you put it that way..

>column shifter
>parking break pedal

Most comfy automatic config desu, so much space

Op wants this bullshit

Wtf are you thinking OP

It gets better. He's from that cancerous sticker thread on here.

why does it matter how you select D? Besides, that idea aint new, it's been around for the past 60 years.

Arm rest + high gear lever is best combo. Very comfortable.

Its comfortable at my side. I have driven both center console and column autos and hated reaching up for the column one. Also, it felt flimsy. I can't imagine it being some little shitty knob you turn. That sounds like it would hold up reel gud 4 sur

Ew fuk me

Disgusting

Don't diss it till you've driven one, it's great.

>Brings cost of car down by having more common pieces between models
>Makes it easier to do a manual swap
>not awkward to use like column shifter
retard tripfag, as usual

>implying your car even had a manual option in the first place.

welcome to freedomland

Stop opening portals to other dimensions

The automatic shifter in the center console is pointless, but the shifter paddles on the steering wheel for gear-selecting, however, ARE actually incredibly useful. Engine-braking when driving straight down 8,000 feet of elevation is made substantially easier when the gear selector is located right along the steering wheel.

>he can't into clutch control

full pleb

I can't understand that people couldn't comprehend what mode they were in. Tons of other cars had a similar set-up (i.e. a "lever" type pull where the drive mode changes but the shifter returns to original position)

Or you could just get a manual with a long-ass throw. Long throws are indescribably fun.

On a related note, why do so many modern manuals seem to offer short throws? I test-drove a manual ND Miata, and there's so little arm movement required to change gears, you can basically shift with your wrist. As fun as the Miata is supposed to be, I can't help but feel that short throws ruin the fun. Unless you're trying to pretend to drive a supercar, in which case you'd be paddle shifting anyways.

>all dat """stuff"""
This is the truck that boomers wanted. It's sad that in America you can't even buy a mid-size single cab manual truck in 2016.

They're great for training your wifey for the glory hole

Apparently 'murrican habits are going to drive the console shifter to extinction

torquenews.com/1080/why-2016-nissan-titan-doesnt-have-floor-shifter