Eclipse

I am looking to Purchase a Sporty Coupe as a daily and I found a 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

It has just over 112k miles Has the color and 6 Speed Tranny I want.

but its a salvage because of damage in the rear.

>Pic Related

But its also SUPER cheap.

I have $5000 to spend but I want to save some cash for Intake and Exhaust upgrade.

The guy says it runs and drives fine but what would cause them to total it?

It just looks like the plastic bumper is damaged and when I ask about the frame he says he doesn't know.

Think I should grab it or wait?

A comparable Vehicle in my area is $6000.

Other urls found in this thread:

autotrader.ca/a/Mitsubishi/Eclipse/TRENTON/Ontario/19_9351166_/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=2_15_59
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I forgot to add that the asking Price for the car is $3300

The rest of the car looks fantastic and the Interior is perfect.

I'm gonna say pass

>sporty
>eclipse

wait what?

Its pretty Sporty.

260 HP
6 Speed transmission
Coupe

=Sporty

Whats Not sporty about it?

If you have the disposable income to take care of whatever issues it might have from the salvage, go for it. Just be ready that it might end up being a money pit.

Is that a Lamborghini?

Its a huzzied up galant and weighs as much as one.

It weighs about as much as a WRX...

Looks sporty. Should've been an Evo coupe like the top trim 1 and 2G DSM.

You can always make it one. Convert it to AWD and put an EVO transmission in it.

That damage doesn't look salvage title worthy. Pretty sure there's something else wrong with it.

>$3300
>salvage title

No.

That's what I was thinking but he says it drives fine.

I think you should talk him down on the price. Wouldn't be worth the headache unless.

Nigga stop right now
I sold my salvage car for $2000 and I felt guilty
My frame, drivetrain everything good but the body work is nightmare and no shop could ever bring it back to "normal" condition
This piece of shit cannot be over $1500. He will never sell it unless some stupid young teen sucks it up

He can blow all the smoke up your ass he wants over phone but until you decide that it's fine don't take his word for it.

I own a 2008 (pic)

The 4gs are good cars, that damage doesn't look like a big deal honestly just replace the bumper.

I'd look into doing suspension upgrades to kill the body roll. My car is on tein lowering springs and had a tanabe strut brace and is very flat cornering. They also respond to intakes and exhaust mods well, dyno sheets proving 20hp gains on club4g thanks to Mitsubishi being so restrictive with their design. I peronally run an injen cai and a Flowmaster exhaust.

As for issues, they don't really have any. The only thing I've read if you're interested in forced induction, is the GT is more difficult to turbo thanks to the higher compression. The GS has a Sirius series 4g69 which is an evolved 4g63 with a modern top end with mivec. The block is capable of 800hp with the top end requiring forged Pistons. Completely stock however the GS can handle 12psi and the GT 5psi. The GT has a 100hp advantage over the GS but also has a 200lbs weight disadvantage, things to consider if you're planing to mod the car at all. Weight balance they are close, GS is a 60:40 ratio and the GT is a little worse at 62:38. GT is around 3400lbs, GS is 3200lbs, and of course the GT will be requiring premium.

The cosmetic damage in the picture wouldn't have gotten the car written off OP.

Willing to bet either the underside of the car is torn all to hell, or that wrecked bumper is covering up more serious damage

Also, a note that everyone seems to forget, you will get absolutely ass raped on insurance for a salvage title car

Maybe I should make an offer?
Its been up since 05-27

Ask him for Underside Pics?

First thing your ass should do is get the VIN, call Geico, and find out what your insurance quote on a salvage title sports car is going to be, because its going to be WAY more than you think.

Second, in regards to pics, no. If you are even going to remotely consider it, take ramps, a flashlight, and if you don't know what to look for, someone who does, and look the car over yourself. Pull the carpet up in the trunk and look to see what the pan and rear end look like. Check to see if the front apron or either front fender panels have been rewelded. Get under it yourself and see what sort of condition it's in. It's EASY to make a shit look like pie in pictures man.

In a perfect world, I would get him to agree to let you take it to a decent shop that could put it on a lift, and look for all the common signs of body/frame repair, and plug up a real scantool to see if the airbags have even deployed.

I have been saving $500 a month for awhile now so Maybe I will just wait.

But the time another GT Model comes up with the same color and not a salvage I should have more then enough.

Thank you guys for all the input. :)

Something other than the damage is a bit odd with that pic.

The license spot should be painted the same as the rest of the bumper. I'm wondering if it was rear ended, the bumper was replaced and painted, and that bumper was hit...

Try and get a VIN run and find out what happened, and do what longpost is saying inspect it thoroughly.

If it was me I'd pass and find one that isn't salvage title, it'll be very hard to sell it in the future.

Going non-salvage will save your ass a ton on insurance, and make it WAY easier to resell down the line when you get rid of it

I have sort of always put salvage title cars in the "if you have to ask about them, they aren't for you" category. It's possible to get good deals if you know what to look for, but also extremely easy to get burned on something that turns into a money pit and is impossible to resell

Good eye.
Is the plate supposed to be painted on all models though? They did a facelift in 2009 and the one there is a 2006.

Yes. The plate frame area IS painted from the factory (pic related)

So at the very least, that's not the original bumper

Pretty sure all models, mines preface lift like the 06 in the pic and it's painted along with the rest of the bumper.

This is why I go to Veeky Forums

Another thing I notice is that HUGE gap between the rear quarter and the trunk lid.
Something is very wrong underneath.

The way that bumper is cracked top to bottom makes me think it probably went speed dating with a tree or lamp post

>Longpost Guy

Was it YOU!

How are these cars ? Considering this one for a winter beater.

autotrader.ca/a/Mitsubishi/Eclipse/TRENTON/Ontario/19_9351166_/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=2_15_59

They are heavy and front wheel drive so they are ok in the winter.

I would get a Subaru with AWD for winter if I were you.

Don't fucking do it, if a shop bothered to take the bumper off and get into repairing it AND THEN found something that would total it, you're looking at a car that has some serious FUBAR shit going on.

You could also get a Gen 3 Eclipse clean title
for about half as much but with ~130-150 miles

lol kids/babyboomers like you are worse than leukemia

Gen 2s look better then the 3, the 3G is hideous I don't know what they were thinking with the doors. How could they think those divets looked good? also I miss the hump.