First car

What is Veeky Forumss opinion on an inexpensive manual transmission first car that is reliable.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YlYTvjUR1jg
youtu.be/6prtCtxk1ho
twitter.com/AnonBabble

A civic.

Civic

Brand new Civic under warranty.

>inexpensive

Go EP3 or something slightly older in the 100-150k mileage range for a fraction of the price.

Civic

E36

I cant afford anything new. I was thinking more around 2012. The civic is still a good suggestion.

>old BMW
>reliable
KEK!

No. The 2012 civic is the worst year.

Just buy one for

Arent parts really expensive? I know how to work on cars myself but still.

a passat

I dont trust volkswagon. Working on my friends jetta was a nightmare.

>reliable

What about a wrx? Are they reliable?

lmao
lmao
lmao

they would be, but every inexpensive one you can find is going to have been driven hard and put away wet

also, the common opinion is that the wrx 5 speed is glass (while the sti 6 speed is unbreakable) and the ringlands and head gaskets on the 2.0 liter engines can go bad when you run too much boost through them

also, wrxes are legendary vehicles, so they're subject to heavy rice tax and you're not going to get one for cheap

basically, look elsewhere

Get a manual tercel that has the stock 3ee and swap in the 5efe. That car will never die on you

Damn i really like it. It kindof reminds me of a bmw

On top of that the amount in cash you would pay for a used wrx that's been beat to fuck is comparable to a huge down payment on a brand new one. There are some you can buy used and then resell for the same price you bought it because you can demand retarded prices for one and get them because retards love them

Theyre the easiest cars to work on with a ton of engine space, fun to drive

>needing warranty with a brand new civic

Buy a Civic and shut the fuck up

miata

enjoy that new civic op

youtube.com/watch?v=YlYTvjUR1jg

Civic.

... Maybe an e36 or an e46 if you've got the money and time

The correct answer. If you're feeling you want something more fun. An Si Civic.

>Civics are Veeky Forums's SS

You could find a normal old impreza to drive. It would be in your price range and not beat to shit because it's not the sporty one. They aren't fast

Not a civic

2004 Corolla

It actually has aftermarket, and isn't a civic

>it actually has aftermarket
Lol sure, if you want to spend money to still be slower than a civic.

The point is not driving an ebay certified civic

You don't NEED to buy parts off ebay. Did you know this?

I own a jetta and the nightmare is very real

90s civic, 1800$ 36mpg

How we feel about camrys in here? I quite like the 09-10 (aesthetically talking)

Accords are better. Especially the V6.

CIVIC with very few simple mods

Civic is really the way to go.

>Hatchback Civic

You can almost smell the cancer

Why not an accord? I can find cheap as fuck manual accord coupes easier than civics around me for some reason.

How about a cooper?

>for some reason

Probably has something to do with the ~350000 accords they've sold every year since the 90s

Volkswagen polo

Someone say VW nightmare?

Mazda 3

gay

Honda manuals are always known to be great feeling transmissions. Why the hell would you buy a car just for the manual?

Seriously though everyone was right, civic r18 manual if you want a shitbox with bluetooth and a civic si if you have testicles

>paying ACTUAL MONEY to be seen in a civic

I'd rather kill myself T/B/H

> paying money to be seen
> ever
Someone has a tender ego

What do you drive? A v6 mustang? A base model 3 series?

Geo metro, Toyota Tercel, or some other baby car that is pretty much a car sized go-cart

>posting in my mommies basement like this guy while wearing a fedora

I'd rather kill myself T/BH

Maybe a go kart track at an arcade that has karts so slow you only use the brakes when the race ends

>all this projecting

embarrassing t/b/h lads

>all this fedora

embarrassing t/b/h lad

>being a faggot

kill yourself t/b/h

> literal projector calls projecting
If you actually had money you wouldn't even be posting in this thread

>it's impossible to have money and post on Veeky Forums

are you retarded?

> goes into "help me find inexpensive manual car"
> lol I dunno but not a civic I'm an elitist

The people with actual sports cars don't shit post like that...

>being a fedora neckbeard

kill yourself t/b/h

you can find second hand parts cheap just like any car. there's non-OEM suppliers who make same parts for cheaper for most things, but if you need a certian part only BMW sells then they're expensive

i don't know about reliable though

Old volvo's, shit may break but they will run on for eternity, OEM parts are expensive, aftermarket is cheap and they are a breeze to work on.

youtu.be/6prtCtxk1ho

Or if you aren't a americuck a type R civic

Driving one right now. Efficient and practical, will probably run forever, but cheap interior and nvh.

Ignore all the honda trash. Here is my list of cheap reliable manual cars.

90s toyota trucks has to be #1 my sister has a v6 4wd extendo cab 93 with about a 1 foot lift that she got for 500$ with 170k miles. She thrashes on it super hard and it refuses to die. Ive hooned it a couple times and it can lay down some mean burns. I have to say those are some of the sturdiest cars ever made. The manny tranny shifts super smooth on them and the clutch feels much better then on other cars it has a perfect catch and weight. This car is noticeably more fun to drive in manual than other cars i have driven manual. (mustang v6, suzuki sidekick, toyota yaris, some sort of jeep that was fwd, and a motorbike)

That sidekick i mentioned is a really reliable manual also that can be super fun especially offroad or on dirt roads. They are super easy to drift on dirt when you have it in rwd. but not as fun as the toyota truck cause it only has a 1.6 liter.

90s subies are great if you can find a clean one in manual or early 2000 wrx. Its just hard to find them clean. My mom has a 99 legacy outback and the handling is amazing on them probably my favourite of any car. They are pretty underrated in funness and are insanely reliable. She dailys it into downtown l.a. Every day driving for like 2 hours. Its just really hard to find clean older subies my mom looked for like 4 or 5 monthes to find hers.

Anything from the volvo 240 series is beyond reliable and has the cheapest replacement parts of any car ever. My girlfriend has an 89 240 dl that i made her switch to after her nissan 280zx kept having problems and she kept making me fix them. With the 240 being an older car there is going to be little things going out here and there of coarse but the car itself will never cease to function. With this car a big reason to get into one is that when something does break or the engine finally starts losing compression at 300k a used engine in great condition off ebay is 500$.

Continuing my list....
Other honorable mentions but not a whole lot to say about them other than they meet the criteria

Toyota mr2

Mitsubishi starion

As much as i hate ford i have to say the ford ranger is good

Mazda miata

Mitsubishi 3000gt

Hmmm thats all i can think of off the top of my head. Stay away from hondas they all burn oil because they run hot and their reliability is pretty much a myth. I work in a valvoline and every honda civic comes in with less than a quart of oil left even if the people are getting it changed on time. Stay away from kia/hyundai they are cheap but they are cheap for a reason being them sucking so much massive cock. Stay away from german cars too.

E36

Counterarguments or adding to what you said:
>toyota trucks
they are nice but tend to be overpriced, gotta be careful with the toyota tax
>subies
basically the same deal, each year it gets worse it seems
>volvo 240
this one depends on the place, it may carry a hipster tax, but otherwise great, probably safest to drive here along with subarus
>mr2
not what I would recommend to a new driver
I haven't seen them go for cheap, usually in bad condition
>mitsu starion
not bad, look for the dodge/chrysler badged one, same model, but depending on seller it may carry a different price
>ford ranger
indeed, they are fun too, not easy on the gas though even if they are small
>miata
a cute
>mitsu 3000gt
NO, terrible reliability in different parts depending on the model, read up on it but it's definitely not a good car for a first car due to issues.
I'd recommend the 300zx over it, which also has some issues but not as bad, even then not a good first car either.

>muh anecdotal statement

fuck off kid

True i agree it really depends on the area for most of these. Here in l.a. Everyone and their mother is selling a mint mr2 for 2-3k they are dangerous tho no matter where you are haha super small and hard to control.

My sister bought her toyota truck a few years back like right when they hit rock bottom pricing i have seen them go up lately but not really to more than i would say they are really worth.

In my area the dodge and chrystler ones go for more i thought it would be the other way around before i was looking.

The rangers are pretty bad on gas especially cause in my area all of them have been turned into trophy trucks with fat tires and hella rake to the rear hahaha

Ill have to check out the 3000gt issues i was under the impression that they were pretty alright :(. 300zx are sweet but id also say not a first car too slippery imo

Celica gts, you will also look and feel like a boy racer however

Oh and the hipster tax for the 240s is usually just on the older older models like the ones with round headlights. The late 80s early 90s ones will pretty much always be around 3k the wagons go for more tho ive seen up to 7k.

> early model 240
> single cam
> apparently doesn't handle good stock either really
> forced to drift

It's really only going to be a commuter with a welded diff. If you are going to sink money into it or want something truly sportier look elsewhere. Even fwd beats 240 after drift tax...

>had a jeep
>worst issue was replacing the shocks
I really lucked with that one I guess

I remember looking at local listings as usual for random finds and what not, and found a 3000gt, which aren't as common as 300zx for sure so that gave me a bit of a thrill. So I started lurking in forums and magazines' online features and so on, and it turned out to be not worth it unless you were really gonna go balls deep into it as a project, with the whole turbos and awd thing. Never got a project in the end.

RSX?

We're talking about volvo's 240, not nissan's. Although indeed some people have started using them as driftboxes.

Don't they carry a lot of rice tax? But if found for a good deal they are great, basically type-r's.

Why does Valvoline rip off all its customers?

Should i get a 1998 m3 with 49k miles for 20k or get a cheaper one with higher mileage? First car btw

Literally miata. Gives you gud feedback on Everything and is reliable af

Op didnt say that hes literally gay tho

I would never own a miata. Thanks for the suggestion though