American Drivers Regain Appetite for Gas Guzzlers

>The single most effective action that most Americans can take to help reduce the dangerous emissions that cause climate change? Buy a more fuel-efficient car.

>But consumers are heading in the opposite direction. They have rekindled their love of bigger cars, pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles, favoring them over small cars, hybrids and electric vehicles, which are considered crucial to helping slow global warming.
nytimes.com/2016/06/28/science/cars-gas-global-warming.html?

ahahaha fuck you Obama

Other urls found in this thread:

fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=17203&id=36620
thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/08/21/3471998/homeowners-associations-solar-power-future/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

ahahaha, cars are among the lowest carbon contributors in terms of fossil fuel waste. go shout at coal plants

>mid 2000s
>everyone buys retarded barges
>financial crash and gas becoming expensive
>barges suddenly worth nothing
>gas becomes cheap for a year
>everyone immediately jumps on retarded barges again
Do Americans lack any and all capability to learn from mistakes? Not even referencing any climate discussions here, do Americans simply love making bad financial decisions?

>Gas goes back to around $2 a gallon
>Everyone started buying gas guzzlers again
what a surprise.

this
coal is much more offending.
also fuck china for having so many dirty diesels with no emissions controls.

I can say Americans have learned from it. In the early 2000's, the gas guzzlers of choice got 15 MPG if you were lucky.
New ones get upwards of 20 MPG. May not seem like much but when you're talking about a 2.5-3 ton vehicle, it's a HUGE improvement.

This. Really waiting for the next big gas price spike in a year or two so I can pick up a lightly used Armada as a secondary weekend car while DDing my I4.

the amount of facts in the article are slim, it's a fluff piece. compare the average full size pickup truck from 2016 to one in 2000, the gas milage difference is huge

I still find it hilarious that once gas prices collapsed back to 2 bucks, I started seeing Hummers pop back out of the woodwork

Yeah, but the difference would be even bigger if you simply started driving vehicles under two tons.

And how many people drive brand new Ecosomethingsomething V6 SUVs exactly, compared to all the people driving used V8 barges?

I see fuckloads of 6 cylinder Ford, Mercedes and BMW barges every fucking day.

I see a ton of the new F-150s (V8 or ecoboost, both are improved milage), and the cheap V8 pickups from the early 2000s are starting to die off. And many people I know of are dumping shitty crossovers for similarly roomy CTSs

America has had a love affair with V8 engines for decades. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.

The point is that the fuel economy of the entire American vehicle fleet is nowhere near comparable to the fuel economy of brand new vehicles. America is fucking full of fuel guzzling crappy old buckets.

Related.
fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=17203&id=36620

building new cars costs more in emissions than running old cars for the engine's lifespan.

Fuck King Nigger.

Can't wait to see him crying when he's at Trump's inauguration.

also this is with the new truck weighing 300-600 lbs more

>The single most effective action that most Americans can take to help reduce the dangerous emissions that cause climate change?

Most of the smog in USA west coast cities is not from them. It is from China. So before blaming the smog measurements even in Wichita Kansas (where chinese smog also exists as it drifts across the continental divide almost all gone but not quite), be sure to separate out the chinese contribution.

Cars have low smog as long as they have cats. Only in the USA Southern states where people cut out cats is there a problem.

>Diesel hasn't jumped in popularity yet
It's way more fuel efficient than gas. If we all had diesel cars and gas motorcycles the world would be a better place.

>also fuck china for having so many dirty diesels with no emissions controls.

>Only in the USA Southern states where people cut out cats is there a problem.
I imagine rolling coal could be 30% of auto emissions in the south

This

The real issue here is the roads becoming fucking fatal for anyone driving a smaller vehicle

>use your superior handling to get out of my way or it's going to be like your five star 10/10 perfect safety rating doesn't exist as my bumper shears off your roof and takes your head with it

>20 mpg instead of 10 guys
>meanwhile, ancient corolla gets 30

>meanwhile, ancient CRX gets 45

>fuel efficiency = good emissions
nope. Diesel emissions are actually far worse than petrol.
Take your clean diesel and fuck off.

>he quoted me twice
>agreed once, disagreed once
never had this situation before, what do? how do I shitpost respond to this?

"implying the corvette is faster than the GT-R"
gayfurryman.png

thank you, kind sir.
PUSHRODS BTFO to you too

(((NY times)))

>coal plants
>cars
>not animal agriculture

My country men are dumber than a box of rocks.

It's how we vote, too.

>mfw I'm going to be getting a car with 6 cylinders that thinks it's a V8
>mfw I give no fucks because "muh mileage" is something only cucks consider when shopping for a car
Also, why is green so fucking rare

Even when gas was pretty high, I never found fuel intake to be a huge expense for me. I guess I don't drive enough for it to be, my work commute is pretty short.

I did really see the price spikes in groceries and shipped goods like that when fuel was high, but, at the bump I can't say I was hurting that bad.

people want suvs and crossovers an electric crossover could a killing.

because people dont generally see expensive gas as the norm, just an exception. Gas also skyrocketed in the 70's, leading to all that environmental shit and generally shitty cars. But it became cheap again for the next 2 and a half decades.

Also there's the fact that environmentalists and shit have been predicting "running out of oil" for decades, and then we just find more, and increasingly, there seems to be a theory that the Earth just generates oil, and there isnt only a limited supply created by ancient plants and dinosaurs, or we definitely would have run out already.

Also it's a cultural thing. Europeans always gravitated towards smaller, fuel efficient cars because they live in big cramped ancient cities that were never meant for cars to begin with.

in the US, there has always been the mentality of "bigger is better", especially in postwar America, where the country was rich and prosperous. And so car culture followed suit. big cars, with big engines. Handling? Turning? who cares, most American roads are straight lines anyway, and there's tons of long stretches of highway, where a large car with a large engine can be right at home. And while in Europe, big cars with big engines were usually the exclusive domain of the wealthy who wanted a toy, in prosperous big-road America, Automakers decided to bring that to the masses, creating the Muscle car. A sporty performance car for the working man to have some fun.

that sort of car romanticism has become ingrained into the American culture, that when there's a spike in oil prices, smaller, fuel efficient cars with small engines become popular for economic reasons, but people still really want a bigger car. So when gas drops down, until the industry catches on and up to that desire, people start snapping up older big cars, which is why when gas collapsed, you now see Hummers and Panthers everywhere again, as people are starting to sort of revert to "normal".

TL;DR it's an American culture thing.

>there seems to be a theory that the Earth just generates oil
technically, that's true, it's just REALLY SLOW

Coal is going bankrupt. They've been fucked by emissions and natural gas.

>in fudged tests where the car was driven in an unrealistic way, like REALLY SLOW accelerations

nuclear is dying faster. the plants in the US are nearing their end of life, and the last plant allowed to be built was done so in 1977. public fear lead to the US being a generation behind in nuclear plant tech.

>I imagine rolling coal could be 30% of auto emissions in the south
It's relatively large particulate, it just settles onto the ground.

And nothing of value was lost. Nuclear fuel is even more limited than oil, and we are sitting on massive natural gas reserves. We also have huge swaths of desert that are perfect for solar.

>We also have huge swaths of desert that are perfect for solar.

Too bad environmentalists bitch and moan about building large solar farms because of whatever animal and plant life lives in the area. It's always some fucking thing with them that make it's damn near impossible to build in most areas.

Good thing there's cities with houses with rooftops or that'd be a problem.

And most homes are part of an HOA and HOAs ban solar panels because they feel like they ruin property values.

>people want suvs and crossovers an electric crossover could a killing.

What did he mean by this?

Electric cars + solar panels on every roof in America

I don't know why it hasn't been done sooner.

not high enough energy density from the sun in most of the US deserts to make a national level dent in power generation. enough to help the southwest at the most. the "this small square of desert can power the world" is engineering clickbait, power losses over distance make it impractical.
rooftop photovoltaic cells are smalltime power, reflection based systems are far more efficient.

>all homes are HOA
>solar panels ruin property values
Of course. Those could be used, too. Or just traditional natural gas plants.

I said most not all you cock sucker and yes HOAs find solar panels to be unsightly and do ban residents from having them.

>I said most not all you cock sucker
[citation needed]
>and yes HOAs find solar panels to be unsightly and do ban residents from having them.
[citation needed]

thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/08/21/3471998/homeowners-associations-solar-power-future/

cost of panels + maintenance over lifetime > money saved over panel life
in most parts of the US. even where it's achievable, it still takes years to even break even and you have to deal with new issues. Snow cuts power, melts and refreezes on panels. falls off in sheets and hurts people. Hail can kill panels. homes might not be oriented well enough to position panels at all. if the problem was easily solvable, why has the government subsidized these inefficient panels and not built a plant themselves?
I like that you use natural gas as a stopgap for other alternate energy, it's a good source we don't use enough. by the time oil and NG runs out, we will have long since found solar power good enough to use anywhere.

be prepared to see them everywhere when Tesla finally releases a 30k Model X.

That first quote makes it seem like global warming is strictly an American problem.
Have china close the thousands of coal and natural gas powerplanta and then ill consider a V6

I'm here to tell you soot from diesel vehicles is less harmful to the environment than it is to you.

That said I drive a smog exempt straight pipe

I drive a cheap V8 truck from the early 2000's and get the same mileage a new truck would get.

>tfw based 2001 Silverado

That isn't even remotely the most effective way.

NYT is fucking stupid.