Sports car

How much power or how fast does a car have to be too be considered a sports car or supercar?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_Dp_xdtFjtk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It has to be
10 fast
50 fast
100 fast

fuck it man, lets just not even discuss it

It's a mix of performance, quality and image/prestige. Supercars need to have all three, that's why Americans at the very best only build sports cars, those only need performance and a slight bit of image.

Sports cars are not based on speed
It's more about handling
I suppose you could say a sports car is defined by the speed it can KEEP in a corner.

A supercar is a sports car that gets crushed by a corvette or viper despite costing at least twice as much.

Man
OMG, niggas race, I ain't tripping', I'mma let me race

Doesnt have to be fast OP, just light and fun to drive that's what they are all about

Did someone say sports car?

slow piece of shit...i can smoke the fuck out of this in my 1994 EG hatch with a couple of simple mods:

- 10 point cage with Parachute
- 3 piece discontinued JoJo frontend
- spec-R full drag suspension
- Fuel cell with -8 lines from tank to motor
- 1 044 bosch pump
- 1200 rc injectors
- golden eagle sleeved block
- cp 10:1 pistons
- Eagle rods
- arp headstuds
- oem h22 headgasket
- Balance shaft delete
- competition clutch twin disc
- Port and polished head
- skunk2 valve springs and retainers
- Str cam gears
- crower stage 1 cams
- aluminium radiator with slim fan
- gsr transmission with itr lsd.
- qsd h2k intake manifold adapter
- k20 rbc manifold
- qsd throttle body spacer
- blox 70mm throttle body
- 4bar omni map sensor
- 6al msd with coil and cap. 3 step launch control
- hks bov
- Garret 102mm turbocharger.
- Custom t4 front facing turbo manifold with 44mm flange
- 44mm tial wastegate
- Custom water to air intercooler set up
- aem eugo wideband w/ gauge
- tuned on chipped p28
- 13 inch volks drag rims
- 2 15 inch volks rear rims
- arp extended wheel studs
- si cluster
- 150 shots of nitrous

im making 248 horsepower to the FRONT WHEELS because thats the only place the power should ever be.

Now that's a sports car there lad

Atleast 600 HP. Unless it weighs under 2300 LBS.

power:weight ratio better than about tree fiddy

what?

Its not engine power or how fast a car goes that determines its a sports car.

If that was the case almost all Lamborghini that built up until the 80's wouldn't be considered sports cars becuase they're slower than a new corolla.

GM fangrills assblasted absolutely btfo

Is this new pasta?
Please don't say this guy is serious.
>1200 cc injectors
Wow, so you run at 30% duty cycle, or spin at 1,800 Rpms....
248hp
That's like 23 more HP than a 93 cobra.
I'll bite, cause its funny
Guess what happens when you do those mods to a real engine?

HOW
FUCKING
NEW

>real engine
>pushrods
You're killing me

this faggot hasnt even here for a week.

Just end yourself or lurk moar faggot

Well I haven't been here too much in the last few years.
I had to ask because I've actually met these guys in person- and its terrifying.

No, that's like 7 more horsepower then a fucking stock jeep 4.7L

>sports cars
>fast

It's all about the driving experience and handling.

I was here a long time ago.
I just came back newfriend.
When piston was king of this board.
I have new priorities, I'm here tonight because I just got 2" of rain and can't do shit.

By definition a sports car is a coupe, low to the ground with good handling, responsive and has higher than your average cars power to weight ratio

Your miata isn't a sports car

that pasta was like gorillion years ago fuck off

I was here before that pasta.
How did Piston die? I haven't started a thread to ask because its depressing, but I did find out he passed.

I didn't post a Miata. I posted something that everyone can agree is a sports car because that's what it was sold as for 20 fucking years. MGB was synonymous with "sports car" in America from 1962 until like 1989.

Same for this one.

Would you fuckers consider a 4-door Lancer Evo X a sports car?

Going slow just is not as fun as going fast no matter how you spin it

neither of those matter in a sports car

It is if you FEEL like you're going fast.

By today's standards when I hear sports cars, I always think of a few bullet points to check off.
-2 doors
-sub 3500lbs (seems heavy but some sports cars don't even make that mark)
-400+hp
-rwd or awd
-expensive enough to only attract certain types
-v8+
-proprietary handling system
-racing pedigree
-some other points I can't think of now

Now it's not that a car would need to have all those features, as we have some that don't check those off yet are super cars for sure. And we also have cars that check off almost all those points but aren't super or sports cars.

RWD
2 doors
Convertible or coupe
Under 2800 lbs
Carries its speed well through corners without using excessive power.

That's it, 45 hp or 380 hp matters not.

t. Miata cucks

>Not awd or midengined

nice shitpost m8

I never specified engine location, but yes, a sports car would not have AWD.

An STi is fast but is just a turbo sedan. A Triumph TR4 is slow but is a real sports car.

I'd say that a supercar is more about the price you pay for it than anything else (snigger). $100k seems to be the starting point.

I'd say a sports car has a lb/hp weight/power ratio of or less than 11 and a good ability to corner. That seems to be the starting point for fast cars. Sorry miatafags, you don't belong to that club. Miata has a power/weight ratio of about 14. Yes you can lower it if you shove a supercharger or a turbo up the engine, but factory original 2016 Miatas - 14.

Muscle cars often have good weight/power, but all they can do is go in a straight line. Also see: Hellcat.

Actually, my bad. I just rechecked my weight/power database - the factory original Miata actually has a lbs/Hp ratio of over 15, not 14.

lol.

That's a shame the Miatas miss out on your arbitrary definition.

>fr econobox with no roof

>MG:"I-it's a sportscar"

>implying your definition of an "econobox" is exclusive from the general sportscar definition

Well you can wave all these other cars on by as they pass you then (all with better power to weight ratios than the Miata):

- Subaru BRZ (lol)
- Honda Accord Coupe EX-L V6 (roflmao)
- Hyundai Veloster (OUCH)
- Ford Mustang Ecoboost (no way)
- Ford Focus ST (nuh uh)
- Ford Fiesta ST (you're kidding)

Don't take my word for it, do the math yourself.

>outright acceleration dictates what a sports car is
rofl
Look, if that's your definition, that's fine. But there's an awful lot of contradictions with that definition.

You own a miata?

at least as much of all these ferrari's

youtube.com/watch?v=_Dp_xdtFjtk

>it is what it isnt

Stop that

DONT FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE FOR MORE VIDEO'S

>Wikipedia
>Miata still isn't a sports car
It's a roadster

>gets BTFO
>d-doesn't count

nice butthurt

>a sports car would not have AWD

Because some Miatafag is a wikipedia admin

see

>roadster can't be a sports car
>being this retarded
>itt miata still sports car
>keep trying

Oh no, some retard on the Internet thinks my car is gay, that must mean I'm gay
Well at least I'm straight for a while driving a 10 second drag car

Nothing wrong with being gay. Being a repressed homosexual is bad for you and society though. They tend to shoot up gay bars.

If normies don't consider your car to be a sports car, then it isn't. It really is that simple.

So nothing wrong with owning a miata
>checkmate
Idgaf what normies is think because I don't seek justification from someone who knows nothing about how cars function. Most people just turn a key and hit the gas. Even my dad who hates the miata understands what it is because he has worked on cars his whole life ranging from a datsun 1600 to a gsl to 67 camaros

itt benchracing is a sport

He knows it's a roadster? Good for him

What sports car do you drive user?

350z son
>Inb4 salty af

>So nothing wrong with owning a miata

Nope, if you like driving a slow inexpensive two seater with good fuel economy, and you like taking it from other dudes from behind, who am I to judge? They are lifestyle choices.

If you like doing chicks and cutting off Miatas because you have more power and acceleration, I suppose that's also a lifestyle choice too. Nothing wrong with that either.

That's a good car, is the convertible version of the 350z a Sports car?

Personally, I think sports cars can be slow as long as they're light and can handle well.

Supercar is a bit more tight, but the definition of supercar has changed over time. For example, a lot of 70's-90's supercars had sub-300 bhp. A lot of modern commuter cars have over 300 horsepower at the wheels.

As long as it's exotic, attempts to break some sort of barrier, or is made to a high quality than your typical car. For example, a lot of supercars are slower than cheaper production sports cars like the Mustang, but they're made to be flashy in some way.

The definitions are pretty broad imo. A lot of people may disagree what constitutes as a sports or supercar.

it's really all about feeling tb.h

taking the touge at 60mph feels a lot different in a supercar vs a miata

Yeah, the Miata feels more fun. Supercars generally don't come alive until you get over 120 mph.

>who am I to judge
An insecure faggot
>cutting off miatas
You just put yourself into one of the worst groups in car culture. Cutting people off because you have more horsepower is a desperate attempt to look cool and all you do is make people hate car people

To me, a sports car is any car that was designed with sharp handling and fun in mind before practicality or any other criteria usually found in commuter cars. Doesn't matter what wheels are driven or how much power it makes.

On the other hand, supercars are designed with high speed, handling, eye-catching looks, exclusivity, and more recently quality/luxury above anything and everything else. They are "numbers" cars.

These, absolutely
Lets get this straight, Muscle cars car about speed. Sports cars are about handling (and speed somewhat) which is why they are almost always 2 door and lightweight.

How will they ever recover?

Surely my car is a Sports car? It is called a Swift SPORT after all!