Smoke out of exhaust after oil change

Ok, Veeky Forums.

I just recently did an oil change on a friends truck. He has a 1990 c/k 1500 5.0 engine.

Right after I changed the oil and the oil filter he handed me some synthetic oil to refill.

I didn't see it at first, but I added it. And when he started it, some white smoke started coming out the engine.

I was thinking it was the synthetic pushing out the old mineral based oil, but now im kinda worried I fucked his truck'.

Is this normal? Will eventually the smoke go away? If it is a problem, should I add a solvent or something, and do another oil change with mineral oil again?

Much thanks in advance.

(Pic related, looks like the stuff coming out the exhaust)

Test to see if the head gasket is OK.

Sounds like oil is leaking into the exhaust somewhere.

90% not your fault if this is the case, probably just the fact that its a 26 year old piece of shit engine.

Check to see if there are dark spots near the head gasket, like dried up dirt and oil.

The way the truck is built, the oil filter is kind of close to the exhaust manifold. Is it possible when I took the filter off, some of the oil could have leaked on the exhaust pipe?

Your problem is vague, and is not likely related to an oil change.

First, if you drive it for 15 or so miles (fully warmed up) and it still smokes like your pic with white smoke, it indicates water is entering the cylinders (blown head gasket). If it has a more bluish/black smoke, its burning oil (bad rings or valve seals).

Likely, your oil change to synthetic is not a big deal. I would recommend changing the oil filter halfway through the oil's life cycle (say, 1500 miles) because synthetic has a tendency to remove a lot of deposits from the engine and clog the filter after the first change. Watch your oil pressure, and if it drops significantly, then change the filter.

That being said, synthetic has a tendency to exaggerate oil burning problems (blue smoke as stated above). It's nothing you did, though.

Besides, the 5.0 is known as the "boat anchor" for a reason. If it is smoking, time for a 350 swap.

when changed my oil and switched from conventional to synthetic, it started to smoke from the engine bay and a little from the exhaust. after a little driving, it went away. i thought it was just burning off any excess oil that i may have put in

>I was thinking it was the synthetic pushing out the old mineral based oil
What the fuck are you talking about?
Is it coming out the exhaust like OP pic? Or coming off the engine?
If it's the former, it has nothing to do with an oil change unless MAYBE the oil used is three times as thin as it should be (in which case it's reversible). If it's the latter, which is more likely, tell him to drive for a couple hundred miles and it'll burn off.

no dumbass, this is because you spilled oil on the engine block.

This, is Veeky Forums this fucking retarded? OP probably spilt a bit of oil on a part of the vehicle that gets really hot. I remember when i spilt a drop of that shit on the exhaust manifold i was shitting bricks until i saw what happened.

Your subject says out of the exhaust, post says out of the engine. I think you're trolling... poorly. If you're not, you just overfilled it and put too much oil in.

You primed the filter, right?

Did you forget to drain the old oil before you added the new oil? Or did you just plain put too much in?

Overfilling can cause all kinds of issues.

>white smoke coming out of exhaust
>because it's spilled on the block

I think it's you who is retarded, friendo.

NEVER put synthetic in a vehicle that old that hasn't been using synthetic. I can't believe no one else has mentioned this.

Most likely his motor now needs a comprehensive reseal.

I'm very sorry, but never do anything like this again.

>put too much in
This. Seems like OP adding the synth after he had already completed the oil change.

last time i checked, i'm not a careless dipshit who spills oil all over the engine.

Not OP, I'm He probably didn't spill any oil. It's the synthetic seeping out of the valve cover, and or head gasket and spilling into the exhaust manifold.

>seeping out of the valve cover
>spilling into the exhaust manifold.
OP's pick show smoke coming out the exhaust pipe.

Op's pic isn't of a 26 year old chevy truck

You're an idiot. Sure it can cause small leaks to start seeping but it doesnt need a "reseal".